Page 105 of 127 FirstFirst ... 5 55 95 103 104 105 106 107 115 ... LastLast
Results 3,121 to 3,150 of 3799

Thread: Not The Actual Events

Mentioned
    32 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by kevinbeetle View Post
    I knew it had carbon, but I was hoping to get a breakdown of everything in it. I'm not a materials guy, just an engineer.

What I meant by metallic was that in order for the equipment to perform the test, it had to not be in powder form. For example, it can take a sample piece of brass and tell you that it is 90% copper and 10% zinc. That's what I was hoping to get. Was the dust 80% carbon, 5% something else, 15% something else?
    Ah, the nature of being a die-hard Nine Inch Nails fan.

Part of me wants to go, "Dude, why the fuck would you want or need to know that?"

And then the other 51% of me goes, "Of course, of course. We'll need mass spectrometer results, too."

Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    I really wanted it to be cocoa powder.

Wondering how the vinyl package will differ from the physical component.

Mentioned
    32 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by joplinpicasso View Post
    I really wanted it to be cocoa powder.
    Dude. That's foul. Can you imagine how fucking gross that would become if you held on long enough for it to get warm?

Quote Originally Posted by joplinpicasso View Post
    Wondering how the vinyl package will differ from the physical component.
    As am I. It would be fascinating if there was some way for this aesthetic to translate, without producing a gatefold guaranteed to eventually ruin the record inside.

Each copy comes soiled and with a can of spray sealant. Records shipped separately. Can you imagine the potential for disaster?

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Received in FL this pas weekend. Had ordered with the TF1 and NTAE vinyl...but got here by itself. Not opening yet until I have to clean the house anyways.

Mentioned
    34 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by anduril View Post
    Could this have something to do with Lent? After all, there is ash on one of the cards. Odd that most people got them around the first of March.

there isn't a facepalm meme big/mean/awesome enough to be used for this comment. It doesn't exist. Congrats.

Mentioned
    34 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by anduril View Post
    Could this have something to do with Lent? After all, there is ash on one of the cards. Odd that most people got them around the first of March.
    And The Lord did say "Behold! These are not the actual events."

Trentticus 9:13

Mentioned
    16 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Sesquipedalism View Post

Each copy comes soiled and with a can of spray sealant.
    Wanna make a withdrawal?

Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by GibbonBlack View Post
    Wanna make a withdrawal?
    That's not how you say it, it's more like: "Wannah makeh a withradwahhl?"

Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by hellospaceboy View Post
    So... I got a text from my wife that the component arrived today. I was so stoked, but only to come home and find this:

(image)

It's hard to see but my mailman bent the envelope when he shoved it into my mailbox, and now it has a pretty big wrinkle in it. I haven't opened it, but I'd be SHOCKED if the cards don't all have it.
    The mailer envelope doesn't say DO NOT BEND, however, even if it wasn't a collectable item, but I don't know, a nice postcard, a wedding invitation, etc... it would be still shitty.
    Mine was like this. The whole thing had a curve to it that I flattened out before opening it, but only the outer envelope had a crease. Maybe the inner contents are okay like mine were.

Also,
    Spoiler: Couldn't find this mentioned in my quick search. The DW PC page's background design looks like the skin image from TDS artwork. Example:

Last edited by blassster; 03-06-2017 at 06:11 PM.

Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Mine came yesterday, ordered with Deviations and the NTAE vinyl. Gonna dig into it tonight hopefully.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by blassster View Post
    Mine was like this. The whole thing had a curve to it that I flattened out before opening it, but only the outer envelope had a crease. Maybe the inner contents are okay like mine were.Also, Spoiler: Couldn't find this mentioned in my quick search. The DW PC page's background design looks like the skin image from TDS artwork. Example:
    The font at the bottom section of your picture looks strangely familiar. Makes me think of the [With_Teeth] era...

Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Indefinite_Cure View Post
    The font at the bottom section of your picture looks strangely familiar. Makes me think of the [With_Teeth] era...
    The busted text reminds me of some of the WT tour posters too. http://68.media.tumblr.com/32530ce26...6nxo6_1280.jpg

All of my pages seem like the least legible versions of each.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Also, the background image for the Burning Bright card looks like the right side of the background for The Downward Spiral's cover...can someone superimpose them to prove me right? I may be wrong
    Last edited by Indefinite_Cure; 03-07-2017 at 12:59 PM.

Mentioned
    36 Post(s)
    I got my physical component in the mail today, as well as an unrelated blu-ray from a kickstarter I backed over a year ago and nearly forgot about completely! Very good mail day. Now time to clear the table and make a mess.

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Alrea View Post
    I got my physical component in the mail today, as well as an unrelated blu-ray from a kickstarter I backed over a year ago and nearly forgot about completely! Very good mail day. Now time to clear the table and make a mess.
    Worth the mess. Like very worth the mess

Mentioned
    18 Post(s)

this article is from kerrang!
    was hoping to scan it but the printer is still packed after moving apartments

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Mentioned
    24 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by InsecureSpike View Post

this article is from kerrang!
    was hoping to scan it but the printer is still packed after moving apartments

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
    You should post the scans in nin spotting too.
    Maybe with a spoiler tag. Not sure if we're still worried about spoiling it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Been almost 3 months, and I finally realized what Reznor's low vocals in Dear World, remind me of. Kind of reminds of Me, I'm Not.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    At least it wasn't a glitter bomb.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by InsecureSpike View Post

...fans soon found themselves covered in a smudgy black POWER...

I knew it wasn't just euphoria.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Ok, I be late to the party and this may have been already discussed.

But maybe "Not The Actual Events" is called such, because the album is entirely made up of previously used and unused NIN samples and loops?
    Like a recycled album.

There are plenty of previously used samples taking back as far as the Downward spiral, Trent has only recently remastered The Fragile, David Grohl on drums? They made plenty of loops I imagine back in 2004.

Trent could be trolling us.

Take the lyrics from Dear World....

Hey look, you didn't even know this
    Couldn't even tell
    Just when it started... happening
    Maybe just as well
    After all, everything is getting unfamiliar now
    Trajectory in decline
    And we've become obselete
    A frame at a time

Apologies if already discussed. I can have been the only one to have thought this.
    Last edited by Alex of scotland; 03-11-2017 at 03:31 PM.

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Well it's quite clear which are the most and least popular songs on the EP with the general public....

https://www.last.fm/music/Nine+Inch+...+Actual+Events

Thought there'd be more love for Branches/Bones to be honest. I can see why She's Gone Away may get the occasional skip, as it's less 'instant', but let's face it, still a damn fine song compared to the most of the tripe out there!

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Alex of scotland View Post

But maybe "Not The Actual Events" is called such, because the album is entirely made up of previously used and unused NIN samples and loops?
    Like a recycled album.

There are plenty of previously used samples taking back as far as the Downward spiral, Trent has only recently remastered The Fragile, David Grohl on drums? They made plenty of loops I imagine back in 2004.

Couldn't even tell
    Maybe just as well
    Trajectory in decline
    A frame at a time

Apologies if already discussed. I can have been the only one to have thought this.
    I was trying to say something similar in an earlier post, but couldn't quite elucidate my thoughts. I reckon you've hit the nail on the head. Perhaps the actual events were all those nice new definitive vinyl versions in the webstore and in the process of remastering them, he cobbled this thing together. It looks to me like we are meant to figure this out from the reused artwork if from nothing else.

I'm really hoping that the actual events turn out to be a sprawling, difficult, 3 disc masterpiece to which even The Fragile pales in comparison. Doubt I'm the first one to hope for that either..

Also just thinking that maybe there is a reason we can't make out the Nine in Halo Twenty Nine. Because it isn't actually Halo Twenty Nine. So what is Halo Twenty Nine? The suspense is killing me.
    Last edited by astfgyl; 03-12-2017 at 06:32 AM. Reason: Just thinking

Mentioned
    398 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by simonn View Post
    Well it's quite clear which are the most and least popular songs on the EP with the general public....

Thought there'd be more love for Branches/Bones to be honest. I can see why She's Gone Away may get the occasional skip, as it's less 'instant', but let's face it, still a damn fine song compared to the most of the tripe out there!
    Yes but at least they got the answer right.
    The Idea Of You is the correct answer.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by astfgyl View Post
    I was trying to say something similar in an earlier post, but couldn't quite elucidate my thoughts. I reckon you've hit the nail on the head. Perhaps the actual events were all those nice new definitive vinyl versions in the webstore and in the process of remastering them, he cobbled this thing together. It looks to me like we are meant to figure this out from the reused artwork if from nothing else.

I'm really hoping that the actual events turn out to be a sprawling, difficult, 3 disc masterpiece to which even The Fragile pales in comparison. Doubt I'm the first one to hope for that either..

Also just thinking that maybe there is a reason we can't make out the Nine in Halo Twenty Nine. Because it isn't actually Halo Twenty Nine. So what is Halo Twenty Nine? The suspense is killing me.

Maybe some members with more musical know how can pull out some of the familiar NIN samples.

or we can use do it by ear for shits and giggles.

For example, Mr Self Destruct inference loop at the end of burning bright.....

Mentioned
    32 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by simonn View Post

No.
    What you see there is a result of loads of people using wrong tags. (May not even be their fault, if they use some streaming service which has wrong tags).
    There are Branches/Bones with and without spaces around the slash, Dear World with and without comma at the end, and there are different kinds of apostrophes used in She's Gone Away. Until they get properly redirected/merged by last.fm algorithms, you won't see correct stats.

Mentioned
    298 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by fillow View Post
    No.
    What you see there is a result of loads of people using wrong tags. (May not even be their fault, if they use some streaming service which has wrong tags).
    There are Branches/Bones with and without spaces around the slash, Dear World with and without comma at the end, and there are different kinds of apostrophes used in She's Gone Away. Until they get properly redirected/merged by last.fm algorithms, you won't see correct stats.
    Are you sure it's not that the dance track with the melodic refrain and the fast-paced angry rock track are getting more plays?

Mentioned
    32 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Leviathant View Post
    Are you sure it's not that the dance track with the melodic refrain and the fast-paced angry rock track are getting more plays?
    But not with a gap as big as shown there.
    Here you go, another 14.8K listeners to She's Gone Away ( https://www.last.fm/music/Nine+Inch+...%99s+Gone+Away ) and another 19.3K listeners to B/B ( https://www.last.fm/music/Nine+Inch+...%20%2F%20Bones )

Rough sums of listeners for each track:
    B/B ~25,100
    SGA ~19,600
    BB(FOA) ~18,000
    Idea ~25,400
    DW ~22,800
    Last edited by fillow; 03-12-2017 at 02:05 PM.

Mentioned
    34 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by astfgyl View Post
    Perhaps the actual events were all those nice new definitive vinyl versions in the webstore and in the process of remastering them, he cobbled this thing together.
    Eh, Trent basically crushed that idea in an interview. The album's sound is because Trent and Atticus decided to work with some equipment (guitars, pedals, etc.) that they hadn't worked with in a long time. Trent mentioned that he felt that he could go back to certain sounds without feeling like he was simply rehashing what he had done before. The album absolutely has callbacks to previous albums, both in terms of the artwork and in terms of the sound, but it's definitely not some sort of Frankenstein creation that they made using bits from old albums.

Mentioned
    237 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Alex of scotland View Post

Like a recycled album.

Couldn't even tell
    Maybe just as well
    Trajectory in decline
    A frame at a time

Trent talked heavily about the recording process in studio in one of the interviews he did for the EP and discussed allowing himself to use guitars and treating it as a way to have a different outlet while so immersed in scorework, so bare minimum, some degree of writing/recording happened for it in the past year, and his vocals are clearly post-With Teeth levels of depth in terms of pitch. I could see some of the ideas and tracks being from older sessions, but definitely not entire songs. Themes of reflection, repetition, loops and stagnation have been present in almost everything from With Teeth on so I don't think lyrics dealing with those subjects are overtly literal necessarily.