Page 79 of 123 FirstFirst ... 29 69 77 78 79 80 81 89 ... LastLast
Results 2,341 to 2,370 of 3664

Thread: Not The Actual Events

Mentioned
    11 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by screwdriver View Post
    agreed that it "sounds like a computer running a bunch of VSTs" even when that's clearly not what the sound IS. e.g., the guitars in The Idea Of You are so truncated and clipping, it sounds like a mid-90s sampler.
    (i was talking about the fragile)

Mentioned
    11 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Volband View Post
    What songs (not necessarily NIN) would you call organic then?
    Like anything recorded by instruments into a microphone through an amp. A Beatles song. "organic" in the "this is an acoustic guitar" way, not as if its all woodsy and has a pulse running through it and is alive.

Stuff like the intro to WITT is so dated sounding to me. Glitchy and harsh and dissonant and wonderful but extremely 1998. A lot of the drum sounds too, even if they started out as real hits that were sampled; they're still samples.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Everyone seeeeeems to be asleeeeeeeeep.

Mentioned
    82 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by butter_hole View Post
    Stuff like the intro to WITT is so dated sounding to me.
    Weird that you bring up The Beatles as well. I can't listen to them because they're so fucking dated but stuff like WITT still sounds fresh to me.

Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    To me the only music that sounds dated is 80s stuff, whether it's synthy or cock rock. I think 70s Genesis sounds less dated than 80s Genesis. I can listen to the Beatles and other classic rock. It just sounds warm to me. But the intro to WITT...that would be revolutionary if that came out now and doesn't sound dated in the least to me.

Mentioned
    100 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by tremolo View Post
    Do you have info about that tape technique?
    Pointed out here, in response to a question about "Burning Bright".

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by nycguy View Post
    That line always sounded like he put the words into a text-to-speech program and then said it exactly how the program did.

Mentioned
    15 Post(s)
    Lyrical Observations:
    Tool; Sweat: "Seems like I've been here before. Seems so familiar. Seems like I'm slipping into a dream within a dream."
    NIN; Branches/Bones: "Feels like I've been here before."
    Burning Bright (FOF): "I can't tell if I am dreaming anymore."

Mentioned
    9 Post(s)
    Hoping the physical component includes a live show/tour announcement of some sort. I.e. a date/venue listed of your closest geographical show. I know the xx did something like this recently with a ticket giveaway. I think a ticket giveaway might be a little too wishful but that's where I got the thought from.

Mentioned
    207 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by somewhat_ View Post
    Hoping the physical component includes a live show/tour announcement of some sort. I.e. a date/venue listed of your closest geographical show. I know the xx did something like this recently with a ticket giveaway. I think a ticket giveaway might be a little too wishful but that's where I got the thought from.
    That'd be such a dick move to all the Asian, African, Australasian and South American fans who you know ain't getting a tour

Mentioned
    9 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by sheepdean View Post
    That'd be such a dick move to all the Asian, African, Australasian and South American fans who you know ain't getting a tour
    True, didn't consider that. What did the xx do again? Was it just random people in the U.S. who purchased the album within the first were sent tickets? I'm not sure about the most logistical fair way to do it, but it's probably not going to happen anyway.

Mentioned
    75 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by nycguy View Post
    Maaaaaaaaaaaan...

Those parts just absolutely ruin the song for me, not that I think it's a good song to begin with. I'll probably get some shit on here for it but whatever, it sounds really REALLY stupid coming from Trent- or anyone for that matter. Sounds like he asked Stephen Hawking to do intro and outro duties on the track.

Mentioned
    62 Post(s)
    I really dig that part. It completely took me by surprise when I first heard it. I like the lack of humanity in it, as if he's observing the world but can't relate to it.

Mentioned
    75 Post(s)
    Robo-Trent in In Two isn't too shabby.

The thing he attempts to pull off in Dear World is rediculous, and kind of embarrassing to listen to.

Mentioned
    62 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Krazy View Post
    Robo-Trent in In Two isn't too shabby.

The thing he attempts to pull off in Dear World is rediculous, and kind of embarrassing to listen to.
    Eh, two different kinds of effects. Frankly, I think the effect (if it is an effect, and not actually a speech synthesizer) in Dear World makes more sense in the context of the song rather than just being a cool effect, which is what the vocal effect in In Two comes across as. In Two is actually one of my favorite tracks on Hesitation Marks, so I'm not knocking it at all, but it's definitely not the same.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by BRoswell View Post
    Eh, two different kinds of effects. Frankly, I think the effect (if it is an effect, and not actually a speech synthesizer) in Dear World makes more sense in the context of the song rather than just being a cool effect, which is what the vocal effect in In Two comes across as. In Two is actually one of my favorite tracks on Hesitation Marks, so I'm not knocking it at all, but it's definitely not the same.
    Dear World, is actually my favorite song on the new record and I love processing of the vocals as well as the layered vocals in verse 2.

Mentioned
    8 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Krazy View Post
    Maaaaaaaaaaaan...

Those parts just absolutely ruin the song for me, not that I think it's a good song to begin with. I'll probably get some shit on here for it but whatever, it sounds really REALLY stupid coming from Trent- or anyone for that matter. Sounds like he asked Stephen Hawking to do intro and outro duties on the track.

I absolutely love this part. Probably my favorite song on the album.

Mentioned
    17 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Sequenteon View Post
    Dear World, is actually my favorite song on the new record and I love processing of the vocals as well as the layered vocals in verse 2.
    Same here. DW blows my mind.

Mentioned
    115 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by niggo View Post
    Same here. DW blows my mind.
    personally i notice, this ep gives me the drive to listen again after a period of not listening. for me, this proves, i like it a lot. that's something i didn't have for a long time (especially not with hm).
    happy...

Mentioned
    53 Post(s)
    The strength of NTAE makes me wish NIN would just release EPs from now on. It has a kind of focusing effect on the material. Has nothing to do with digestibility – yes, sure, it takes less time to hear, but when it's cold and "impenetrable" like this one, that balances out pretty quickly. It requires repeated listens just due to its nature (layering, in other words). Something different happens when TR narrows the view to an EP, if we compare the strength of NTAE and Broken.

Mentioned
    73 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by seasonsinthesky View Post
    The strength of NTAE makes me wish NIN would just release EPs from now on. It has a kind of focusing effect on the material. Has nothing to do with digestibility – yes, sure, it takes less time to hear, but when it's cold and "impenetrable" like this one, that balances out pretty quickly. It requires repeated listens just due to its nature (layering, in other words). Something different happens when TR narrows the view to an EP, if we compare the strength of NTAE and Broken.
    Given how many of us are suckers for the expansive concept album, I think a lot of us would be crushed if this happened, but I totally get your point. I find songs like The Beginning of the End and The Hand That Feeds to disproportionately pull down my overall appreciation of an album and find myself wondering what it would be like if some of the fat was trimmed. Part of what makes Not The Actual Events so refreshing is how strong the whole thing is from top to bottom.

Mentioned
    253 Post(s)
    I like all the EPs NIN has put out, but I like The Fragile better.

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    I'm guessing we are gonna get a email notification at 11:59 pm PST tomorrow , just so they can say it shipped in January like they said it would.... at this point I hope so anyway!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Mentioned
    73 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by botley View Post
    I like all the EPs NIN has put out, but I like The Fragile better.
    Same. I also highly doubt I would like 4-6 EP's with the same content as The Fragile spread out over them as much as I like The Fragile as one coherent work.

Mentioned
    53 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Toadflax View Post
    Same. I also highly doubt I would like 4-6 EP's with the same content as The Fragile spread out over them as much as I like The Fragile as one coherent work.
    That's what the vinyl is like, and it's always been my preferred method of ingestion. Six chunks of 20 minutes is something I can comprehend, compared to 2 hours and 25 tracks, and each side works as a mini-EP.

Doesn't work like that for TDS though, I find. Or any other NIN vinyl release, really.

Mentioned
    73 Post(s)
    That's what the vinyl is like, and it's always been my preferred method of ingestion. Six chunks of 20 minutes is something I can comprehend, compared to 2 hours and 25 tracks, and each side works as a mini-EP.
    That's cool it works like that for you. I personally love the experience of getting lost in the middle of an album, knowing it's not going to be over for a long time. That said, I do wonder if the resurgence of vinyl will change the way artists organize music on a record. Bowie's Let's Dance is an album I've had on vinyl since the 90's, and it has an interesting dynamic where side A is great for singing/dancing along and being energetic, while side B is what I'll put on when I'm going to sleep or just want to chill out for a bit. I normally prefer to think of albums as a complete work, but things like that make me appreciate the idea of splitting it up on occasion.

EDIT: Sorry for getting off track, everyone. Back to your regularly scheduled but not actual events.

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    I love all the songs pretty equally, but for different reasons. I love the aggressive "wake the F#CK UP!" introduction to the album with Branches / Bones. Dear World has got to be one of the most different songs I've ever heard, but I love it for that. The "Yes, everyone seems to be asleep" is so apt for the album. I love the beat to the songs and when the two channels speak simultaneously. She's Gone Away is one of the darkest and most sinister NIN songs in the last decade, very unsettling and great. The Idea Of You has got the frantic pace, lyrics, and violent chorus that's dope. Burning Bright is just on another level of chaos and rage that I find impossible not to enjoy to the max with every listen.

Mentioned
    73 Post(s)

Mentioned
    528 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Toadflax View Post

Mentioned
    75 Post(s)
    I got my physical component a long time ago.