Page 77 of 123 FirstFirst ... 27 67 75 76 77 78 79 87 ... LastLast
Results 2,281 to 2,310 of 3664

Thread: Not The Actual Events

Mentioned
    36 Post(s)
    I get the feeling NTAE was a reaction to the Hesitation Marks era and any criticism that was lobbed his way around that time (from 'Everything' to the Tension tour, to people claiming he lost his 'anger" and "edge" etc) I get the vibe the EP is a big 'fuck you' to people who thought he lost his edge..I also think its him being nostalgic for The Fragile. He all but admitted that in the Zane Lowe interview

Mentioned
    8 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Sesquipedalism View Post
    As do I. I wonder if everyone's opinion on "Everything" has softened over time or hardened? Perhaps I'll ask that in the Random Questions thread.
    Funny you mentioned this - I was definitely an "Everything" hater and got lots of facepalms for my posts. I've been listening to it off/on and I hate it less now. I find the beat for "Everything" very similar to the beat for "Branches / Bones"

Mentioned
    115 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by TheRealNs1 View Post
    I find the beat for "Everything" very similar to the beat for "Branches / Bones"
    That's why I find B/B the weakest track on the EP. :|

Mentioned
    251 Post(s)
    Branches/Bones is amazing and continues the long reign of great openers from NIN. It would be a fantastic way to start off a live show, maybe after the good old reliable Pinion or something. In general it's a song that fucks with expectations and I consider that to be often what NIN does best -- it sets you up to expect a wholly self-aware, borderline redundant NIN track, only to completely fuck off and speed headway into this insane, impossible-to-maintain pace that doesn't even cleanly resolve in any real way but instead is abruptly, jarringly and uncomfortably replaced by something completely alien and foreign as Dear World, kicks in.

It has no frills, no bullshit, and there are no diversions until the very next song and it's better that way. Something Trent's done for ages is take compositions that seem to threaten to fly off the rails at any moment and instead he manages to redirect them masterfully somehow -- Branches/Bones doesn't give a shit and just completely becomes the trainwreck you've been dying to witness for ages. I think it's totally killer.

Mentioned
    8 Post(s)
    I mean don't get me wrong I've still listened to NTAE more than I've ever listened to HM, but the similarity cannot be ignored.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Just had a thought...more like wishful thinking...since a lot of us are comparing NTAE to Broken, wouldn't it be awesome if the physical component was a cd with 2 hidden tracks like "Physical" and "Suck"?

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    The reaction here to "Everything" was, I think, I the first time I heard someone use the phrase "dumpster fire." And the 2005 reaction to "Getting Smaller" wasn't too far behind that either.
    A damn shame. Getting Smaller, despite its "flip-flops" (and really, we're talking about an artist who used to sing about slipping on tears), has always been one of my favorites. The beat, the descending guitar riff in the chorus, it's classic NIN.

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Jetvet1975 View Post
    Just had a thought...more like wishful thinking...since a lot of us are comparing NTAE to Broken, wouldn't it be awesome if the physical component was a cd with 2 hidden tracks like "Physical" and "Suck"?
    Holy crap I never thought of that, that would be the coolest in my opinion.

Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    And the "flip-flop" was a Pere Ubu reference.
    "GS" is a great concentration of the hard rock elements of WT with matching lyrical themes. Not every NIN song has to be dreary as hell, I agree!

Also, to continue our weird exchange, my current partner found the 0m57s tone change in "Branches/Bones" as 'funny' as I do (read: darkly snide).

Mentioned
    104 Post(s)
    Has there been any update on when the physical component is expected to be arriving? Or is it still the vague "January" that was listed on the original order page? (Sorry, don't want to read through dozens of pages in case there happen to be any weird spoilers contained within)

Mentioned
    166 Post(s)
    Since Getting Smaller and Everything were discussed and mentioned here, I just wanted to say that they're definitely among my favorite songs from With Teeth and Hesitation Marks.

I also pretty much love all of the Nine Inch Nails openers, and Branches/Bones is definitely yet another welcome to my list of favorite LP/EP openers. And yes, I have also wondered about that too. It would be very nice to have Getting Smaller, Everything and Branches/Bones somehow put together in a set-list. I wholeheartedly agree with that.

*Oh, and well. Far be it from me being an expert, and I just wanted to also at least mention that I too also constantly think about the fine line between NIN lyrics as a narrative and/or autobiographical approach. I still have a feeling it's usually either/or anyway on the account that he sometimes got his lyrics from his journals before.*

I also haven't done lyrical interpretations in a while either, but I just wanted to somehow get this out there, and this is clearly the perfect thread to do it while I still can.

Burning Bright (Field on Fire) probably might also be referring to the fires he had in Gave Up and Burn. Fire has multiple purposes and effects. Some beneficial and productive, for instance, cooking and passion, while many detrimental and destructive, such as arson and rage just to name a few physical and metaphorical examples.

In Gave Up, his fire is burning himself. It is consuming everything he thought he was along with whatever worth he had left. Like an entire house along with his possessions and valuables burnt to crisp, only in this case, it's the internal factors of his self-worth. It renders him scorched to the point of giving up as the song says, and that every part of him and who he is might as well be smashed up due to a combination of self-loathing, shame, guilt and depression.

In Burn, his fire is rage, but not at himself. It has a lot more to do with external factors that wronged him in one way or another. It's like a "Me against the world.", sort of something, like with Happiness in Slavery, but instead of accepting defeat, he's really not having it that time. His fire is now out of control, but in this case he wants or just merely wishes to unleash his fire on any actual or perceived adversaries and opponents.

In Burning Bright (Field on Fire), it could also then perhaps be interpreted as his completed recovery since then, especially just right after his "Hesitation Marks", especially with the album art that had matches on it. The fire references in his previous works, including the fiery picture of Broken really came to mind. (I know there's fire references in other songs too, but I just wanted to use Gave Up and Burn as examples, since they stood out the most to me as of late.)

And now, he has learned to harness it and utilize it to his advantage as he survived "Everything" as he found a place to bury everything and burn it to the ground as also mentioned in Various Methods of Escape. Perhaps he finally found an actual escape/exit and that made him stronger than he has every been in his decline, or steady systematic decline for that matter. He still accepts his limitations, but more and more, slowly but surely in an "I got this." type of way. It is more from a place of courage than terror and/or rampage.

Burning Bright (Field on Fire) could then be like a "Me versus Me and the real Me won." while coming to terms with the idea that maybe it's not always "Me versus this or that." that seems to have been presented in Burn.

He also came to terms that he must conquer himself before conquering other things, or that to make sure that his own worst enemy isn't living between his ears, like The Becoming or Demon Seed. However like so many NIN albums, it definitely ends with a "To be continued..." or "The end?" vibe as most abstract endings and cliffhangers go. He's made sure that he won't let him do this to himself via Mr Self Destruct.

But overall, that's what makes me love it, as even though it's only 5 tracks, and aside from She's Gone Away and Burning Bright (Field on Fire) being instant favorites, Not The Actual Events definitely satisfied my curiosity 3 years later after the abrupt ending that was Black Noise.

Oh yes, I also like how Not The Actual Events can be interpreted differently depending on tone. (Which I guess can be applied to any types of titles, but it also came to mind several times when I first learned about that title.)

These are not the actual events. Here's the truth. This is what really happened. (Yes, everyone seems to be asleep.) *Another Version Of The Truth*

No! Not the actual events! The reality is just far too harsh for me to deal with and endure! I'd rather be stuck in a dream/fantasy world. I don't even want to know! (Remember. I don't want to remember anymore. - None of this is happening! - Don't open your eyes. You won't like what you see. The blind have been blessed with security.)

I'm sorry, as my mind tends to jump around albums and songs with my interpretations, as I tend to kind of look at albums as a series of movies or a series of seasons with episodes. With NIN, it's easy to make those connections, and even more-so with the lyrics in NTAE.

Oh, I also wanted to throw this in before I completely forget about it again.

The lyrics from Even Deeper "And you know me, well you think you do." as well as "Everything that matters is gone. All the hands of hope have withdrawn." as well as The Becoming's "The me that you know doesn't come around. That part of me isn't here anymore."/"The me that you know used to have feelings, but the blood has stopped pumping and he's left to decay. The me that you know is now made up of wires and even when I'm right with you I'm so far away." also came to mind when I listening to the Idea Of You.

I can obviously see how lots of callbacks can be made from NTAE, but that makes me love it even more as I've easily/frequently "slipped away" into callbacks in my interpretations way before NTAE was even released, let alone announced. (And not that I'm the only one either, but that's yet another reason as to why I love NIN's work so much.)

Please pardon the mess if you can, but that's what happens whenever I ponder about my interpretations when listening to NIN songs/albums.
    Last edited by Halo Infinity; 01-27-2017 at 06:36 PM.

Mentioned
    33 Post(s)
    Like a lot of NIN songs, Burning Bright (Field on Fire) took a few listens to really grow on me. When I first heard it, I was like . . .

Mentioned
    75 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by theimage13 View Post
    Has there been any update on when the physical component is expected to be arriving? Or is it still the vague "January" that was listed on the original order page? (Sorry, don't want to read through dozens of pages in case there happen to be any weird spoilers contained within)
    I ordered it, and have t gotten it yet nor was any email sent. Will probably get it the last days in January.

Whatever it is, I hope it's not some political BS due to the current events. [insert lame "NTAE" pun here]

Mentioned
    280 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by theimage13 View Post
    I emailed them and posted their response here.
    TL;DR it'll be shipped by the end of the month and you'll get an email with tracking info when it ships.

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    I have to say HM was a short album (or at least it felt like it), and NTAE was short too.

Would be nice to have a new album that was nice and long so we could really sink our teeth into it.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by tony.parente View Post
    I emailed them and posted their response here.
    TL;DR it'll be shipped by the end of the month and you'll get an email with tracking info when it ships.
    Now someone should ask them what the component is!

Mentioned
    732 Post(s)
    Holy fuck. @Kris

For 17 years i thought Even Deeper said "d'you know me? We think you do."

mind=blown

Mentioned
    9 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by tony.parente View Post
    Well, I guess that's the answer we already knew lol
    Oh GREAT, by the end of the month. I asked them to ship it to a temporary address, and I'll be outta there by the 31st. Wonderful. "Week 1" my ass

Can you tell me the email address you used to reach them?

Mentioned
    280 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by FernandoDante View Post
    Oh GREAT, by the end of the month. I asked them to ship it to a temporary address, and I'll be outta there by the 31st. Wonderful. "Week 1" my ass

Can you tell me the email address you used to reach them?
    I opened a ticket with them via https://firebrandlive.zendesk.com/hc/en-us

Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Something that I've come to appreciate about NTAE is how it actually seems to go from electronic to more organic over the course of those songs.

Someone mentioned that the beat of "Branches/Bones" is very similar to that of "Everything". The noise that permeates the track are mainly used for background effect and embellishments. It's mainly atonal noise. Then there's "Dear World," which recalls elements of "Disappointed" to my ears. The noisy atmospheres in the background are used for musical purposes now. The same goes for "She's Gone Away", but now the percussion from "The Fragile" makes an appearance. As does what sounds like a real bass guitar to me. The noises in the background are more harmonious, providing dissonance. "The Idea of You" continues the evolution by adding Dave Grohl on actual drums. In many ways, the bed tracks of this song sound like they could have been played live in the studio. A lot more straightforward and raw than Trent and Atticus messing around and tweaking knobs.

Eventually, the explosion hits with "Burning Bright (Field on Fire)". Everything sounds like it's been run through a couple of generations of cassette tape, and even the electronic beats have an organic feeling to them. Like they're based on sounds of someone hitting actual metal. In the background, you can hear the sound of an actual fire. Or is it audience applause?

I'm not sure if it's intentional, or if I'm reading too much into it, and trying to push my ideas down the throat of the music. But to me, the clearer story lies in the music, rather than in the lyrics. An "upward spiral" (though not mood-wise), which goes from machine to man, where TDS did the opposite.
    Last edited by Fred; 01-22-2017 at 01:53 PM.

Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    ^^^If dear world was track one, b/b track 2, TIOY track 3, SGA track 4 and BB track 5, I would agree it goes from electronic to organic. But it's debatable. What do people consider organic? Aside from still there isn't a lot of true organic sounding nails. When I think of organic rock I think of someone like dylan. What songs would translate best with just vocals and acoustic guitar or something as raw as an acoustic instrument. It's very subjective.
    Last edited by EndlessLoveless; 01-22-2017 at 08:03 PM.

Mentioned
    64 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by nick999 View Post
    ^^^If dear world was track one, b/b track 2, TIOY track 3, SGA track 4 and BB track 5, I would agree it goes from electronic to organic. But it's debatable. What do people consider organic? Aside from still there isn't a lot of true organic sounding nails. When I think of organic rock I think of someone like dylan. What songs would translate best with just vocals and acoustic guitar or something as raw as an acoustic instrument. It's very subjective.
    Yeah, people say it a lot to describe instruments sounding "real" and not bleepy-bloopy, but some of them could be Kontakt samples for all we know...

Joined (old ETS): 01 Sep 2004 -- Sydney, Australia
    Mentioned
    282 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by wizfan View Post
    Yeah, people say it a lot to describe instruments sounding "real" and not bleepy-bloopy, but some of them could be Kontakt samples for all we know...
    You're bleepy-bloopy.

Mentioned
    64 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Ryan View Post
    You're bleepy-bloopy.
    Nah. It's just The Idea of Bloop.

Mentioned
    5 Post(s)

Not The Actual Events

Quote Originally Posted by nick999 View Post
    I think of lots of songs off "The Fragile" as "organic". There's quite a leap from the cold, sterile, digital electronics of, say, PHM. Even "Broken" sounds more clean and digital than NTAE.

Basically, the analog imperfections that Trent and Atticus like to toy with make the difference. A guitar that's slightly jangly and out of tune, the valve-driven drum machine on HTDA's "The Believers", everything on "The Slip" being mic'ed, the use of the Swarmatron, etc. That's how I'd define organic sound in a largely electronic context. Imperfect and sorta stained, in an analog, slightly unpredictable way.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Tommy_Macbeth View Post
    Holy crap I never thought of that, that would be the coolest in my opinion.
    Only if it has 99 tracks.

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Is it just me or does it seem like there has been very little news since this was released. I understand that it is an ep with no tour, but it seems like there really hasn't been much information from the nin camp at all. I mean they did also release the remastered vinyl and Deviations. I would have expected a little more marketing I guess.

Mentioned
    528 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by buckaroo View Post
    Is it just me or does it seem like there has been very little news since this was released. I understand that it is an ep with no tour, but it seems like there really hasn't been much information from the nin camp at all. I mean they did also release the remastered vinyl and Deviations. I would have expected a little more marketing I guess.
    there were at least two (if not three) different interviews on different publications, as well as the zane lowe radio interview the day before its (intended/original) release date. that seems like a decent amount of promotion for a self-released EP.

Mentioned
    280 Post(s)
    I wonder if Trent is waiting on his tax return to come in so he can get those physical components mailed out.

Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    It turned out they were too physical for him, so the whole thing's been blown off.