Page 66 of 123 FirstFirst ... 16 56 64 65 66 67 68 76 116 ... LastLast
Results 1,951 to 1,980 of 3664

Thread: Not The Actual Events

Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by sheepdean View Post
    Man, Trent's putting out those deluxe editions again

https://store.nin.com/products/ntae-physical-component
    Whoa, what the? Another reference to past nin songs?

Edit-nevermind, an extra 9 in there.

Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Exploding Plastic View Post
    Where are these posts?
    A few pages back.... here they are:
    http://www.echoingthesound.org/commu...929#post331929
    http://www.echoingthesound.org/commu...394#post332394

Mentioned
    49 Post(s)

Mentioned
    4 Post(s)

Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by mauro995 View Post
    I like this! (Even if she got a few words wrong on lyrics to "TIOY")

Mentioned
    15 Post(s)
    Got this in the mail today. Exactly what I expected.

Mentioned
    65 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Destruct26 View Post
    Got this in the mail today. Exactly what I expected.
    No Physical (Adam Ant "You're So" mix)? Pass.

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Hello friends! I'm slightly embarrassed that this will be my first commentary on NTAE, but I have to get this off my chest. I'll comment more on the work (which I'm quite positive about) later. But am I alone in thinking that the BB(FoF) riff is uncomfortably reminiscent of Nietzsche? Like, almost lifted? Like, if he knew what he was doing, courtesy would have dictated a call to Cortney before recording the song? And if TR didn't realize, courtesy would dictate a call to Cortney after the fact for a conversation (an apology?)? I like the song quite a bit, but I can't disentangle myself from this issue while I'm listening to it. Apologies if this is being discussed elsewhere. Happy to be redirected. Hope you're all well.

Mentioned
    207 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by ComradeCornhole View Post
    Hello friends! I'm slightly embarrassed that this will be my first commentary on NTAE, but I have to get this off my chest. I'll comment more on the work (which I'm quite positive about) later. But am I alone in thinking that the BB(FoF) riff is uncomfortably reminiscent of Nietzsche? Like, almost lifted? Like, if he knew what he was doing, courtesy would have dictated a call to Cortney before recording the song? And if TR didn't realize, courtesy would dictate a call to Cortney after the fact for a conversation (an apology?)? I like the song quite a bit, but I can't disentangle myself from this issue while I'm listening to it. Apologies if this is being discussed elsewhere. Happy to be redirected. Hope you're all well.
    ...Nietzsche?

Mentioned
    62 Post(s)
    I've heard a bunch of people (mostly on other sites, but a couple on here as well) say that it sounds like/is ripped off from *insert song by artist here*, which tells me that it's probably a riff that's been done several times over the years.

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Sesquipedalism View Post
    ...Cortney?

...[sic]?
    Sorry. "Nietzsche" - The Dandy Warhols. Courtney Taylor. Or is it still Taylor-Taylor?

Mentioned
    153 Post(s)
    ...Cortney?

...[sic]?

Google didn't help. Like, at all.

Oh, right, okay, the progression is similar, "lifted" is stretching it given the complexity of the riff though.
    Last edited by Khrz; 01-08-2017 at 09:07 PM.

Mentioned
    207 Post(s)
    The riffs are similar, but it's not like, A Warm Place or Down In It, it's more that that is just a pretty basic tempo

Mentioned
    153 Post(s)

I do feel like "Down in It" is at least an improvement, though.
    Oh, man, you should be careful with that... They can hear you...

But seriously, comparing Skinny Puppy and Nine Inch Nails is just futile. They don't play in the same arena, or the same league, or even the same sport.

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by sheepdean View Post
    The riffs are similar, but it's not like, A Warm Place or Down In It, it's more that that is just a pretty basic tempo
    Huh. And I was actually one that thought concerns over A Warm Place and Down In It were overblown, and that this case was much more obvious in its similarity. I think it's in a different key, but it's virtually the same intervals and progression. Oh well. It's not a big deal, obviously. I'll just try and shake it off(!).
    Thanks, everyone, for your input.

Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    I actually think the "Crystal Japan" and "Dig It" similarities are pretty evident and have been commented on as either conscious choices (the latter) or unconscious inspirations (the former). With that Dandy Warhols song, it is the same chord progression (1 - 4th - minor 3rd - 4th), yet the minor 3rd is so common in rock and blues that it's almost a non-point.

Fun fact: I am a big fan of Deerhunter (and I have TR to thank). Within the past few years, I learned that "In This Twilight" and the DH song "Desire Lines" basically have the same chord progression during their choruses. In this case, DH toured with NIN and likely heard the former song played and their guitarist Lockett Pundt may have been influenced, but overall they are completely different songs and styles.

EDIT: vvvv Not quite. Sorry to get technical but "Teen Spirit" goes 1st - 4th - minor 3rd - minor 6th.
    Last edited by joplinpicasso; 01-08-2017 at 10:18 PM.

Mentioned
    528 Post(s)
    i actually keep thinking i hear echoes of "smells like teen spirit" in the main riff of "burning bright" so i thought @ComradeCornhole somehow autocorrected Nirvana to Nietzsche and meant Courtney Love and i was really confused

Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    So many songs sound like other songs. It's just the way it is when writing rock music on a guitar. When a band uses mainly power chords when writing from a guitar, you only have so many options in a set 4/4 count. When you really pay attention to it, no riff is completely original. You know how many doom or sludge bands have riffs that sound very similar to that..alot. But that's a nin song, through and through. And a top notch one at that.

I thought of torche and type o when I heard it at first.
    Last edited by EndlessLoveless; 01-08-2017 at 10:21 PM.

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    The sort of megaphone-in-the-distance spoken word in BB(FoF) pretty much makes me think of Nick Cave's ranting on the Flaming Lips song 'You, Man? Human???"

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by nick999 View Post
    So many songs sound like other songs. It's just the way it is when writing rock music on a guitar. When a band uses mainly power chords when writing from a guitar, you only have so many options in a set 4/4 count. When you really pay attention to it, no riff is completely original. You know how many doom or sludge bands have riffs that sound very similar to that..alot. But that's a nin song, through and through. And a top notch one at that.
    yeah. it's so hard to unhear comparisons sometimes tho. the first time i heard 'the idea of you' my mind immediately went to a plaid track, 'crumax rins' -- 1:20 into the track always reminds of 0:18 into TIOY -- it's almost like a complete parallel. but to be fair, there's very little else similar.

Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    I can't escape the similarity between The Idea Of You and FNM's Ashes to Ashes.. But i love Faith No More so it's all good anywhoo.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Reaps View Post
    I can't escape the similarity between The Idea Of You and FNM's Ashes to Ashes.. But i love Faith No More so it's all good anywhoo.
    I heard the similarities to Faith No More during my first listen!

Mentioned
    8 Post(s)
    I also noticed it. Well, the riff is just two chords with a basic transition, I'm pretty sure one can find at least another song very similar to these two. It's not in the same key, there's no other similarity than these two chords strummed all along the song. It's like the first song gave some of its organs to the second one but it's not the person in the end.

So, not shocked or embarassed really.

Mentioned
    17 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by joplinpicasso View Post
    Fun fact: I am a big fan of Deerhunter (and I have TR to thank). Within the past few years, I learned that "In This Twilight" and the DH song "Desire Lines" basically have the same chord progression during their choruses. In this case, DH toured with NIN and likely heard the former song played and their guitarist Lockett Pundt may have been influenced, but overall they are completely different songs and styles.
    Most of the songs by Deerhunter and the overall genre aren't my thing, but Deer God (ha), Desire Lines is one of my absolute favorite songs ever. It's really just magical.

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    OK, so each time I listen to Dear World, I think about S.H.O.D.A.N.

Mentioned
    4 Post(s)

Mentioned
    62 Post(s)
    Not sure if this was covered previously, but it seems the NTAE FLAC assets were updated with slightly different "Still" artwork.

The original version I received had a timestamp of Dec 20, 2016, 5:54 PM on the jpg & has a little yellow in the lower right corner. The updated version has a timestamp of Dec 24, 2016, 12:00 AM with a slightly different image that doesn't have the yellow for lack of a better description.

I think I'm going to use the White version that Apple Music & the streaming services are using since it fits with the tour announcement imagery... until that physical component arrives.

Mentioned
    115 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by mauro995 View Post
    makes me feel good.

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by eversonpoe View Post
    i actually keep thinking i hear echoes of "smells like teen spirit" in the main riff of "burning bright" so i thought @ComradeCornhole somehow autocorrected Nirvana to Nietzsche and meant Courtney Love and i was really confused
    You mean you hear Boston's More Than a Feeling in Burning Bright?

Mentioned
    36 Post(s)
    Fantano usually shits on everything. Pretty cool he gave it a great review