Page 23 of 123 FirstFirst ... 13 21 22 23 24 25 33 73 ... LastLast

Thread: Not The Actual Events

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by minusthesnake View Post
    What artwork is embedded in the MP3 files? Does each song have something unique? Thanks for posting the lyrics, going to listen again with these now!
    No Problem. The artwork is the same for all the files. The only info is that they were encoded with LAME 3.97 The embedded art is this:

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Harry Seaward View Post
    Correct me if I'm wrong but... most of this shit makes no sense right? And all of these lyrics aren't even in the actual song.
    I just copy-pasta'd what is embedded in the files. But yea, there is some... uh... subtext? additional content? something​ that got included. LOL

Mentioned
    28 Post(s)
    Also lol I bet my roommate is lying in bed seething right now because it's 1:30am and the walls are shaking apart.

Mentioned
    100 Post(s)
    For those that care:

Only "She's Gone Away" contains clipping, and that definitely seems to have been a stylistic choice.

Mentioned
    28 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by gamecat235 View Post
    I just copy-pasta'd what is embedded in the files. But yea, there is some... uh... subtext? additional content? something​ that got included. LOL
    No I wasn't blaming you, I'm seeing the same lyrics tagged in that song. I just thought I actually was having a stroke when I tried to read it because it just seems like a bunch of words smashed together into gibberish...

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    The idea of you is fantastic, haven't heard NIN like that in ages. Reading the lyrics posted, I kind of wonder what sort of headspace Trent is in, this sounds and reads like it picks up at the dark place at the end of black noise when everything starts to distort.

Mentioned
    28 Post(s)
    There clearly has to be a statement being made by using the exact same artwork from Still for... this.

Mentioned
    120 Post(s)
    Goddamn it I wanna hear this shit LIVE. If they do shows next year they should open or close every show with these 5 in a row & kick the shit out of the audience.

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    There clearly has to be a statement being made by using the exact same artwork from Still for... this.
    It's just weird that it went from the black and white (and inverted black and white) artwork he posted last week, which was the same design as still but not the actual same art, to making it Still exactly. I suppose your right though, it's the prettiest, most beautiful thing they've ever released versus arguably the ugliest and most impenetrable.

Mentioned
    66 Post(s)
    Either that or Trent has dementia, since we can rarely talk about laziness and coincidence when it's NIN.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    No I wasn't blaming you, I'm seeing the same lyrics tagged in that song. I just thought I actually was having a stroke when I tried to read it because it just seems like a bunch of words smashed together into gibberish...
    Understood. the track is only 1:47, unless TR suddenly took up auctioneering, I don't think he could even get through that wall of text. I do very much wonder why it was all included. But it's not just you. =)

Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    So everybody is in agreement that this awesome? Well I never.
    I'm at work so can't give this a proper listen until later, but I can tell that it will certainly benefit from being played loud.

So - do some people actually have a PDF with their download? If so - are there credits on this? I'm curious to see if more people were involved beyond Trent and Atticus. Confused about yet another piece of cover art too. Maybe they just can't decide which version is better. Whatevs.

Mentioned
    82 Post(s)
    Absolutely love the EP. I'm going to have to sit with it for a while, let it soak in, but I can say I am very pleased with just one listen.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Fred View Post
    If you use WMP and want a minimum of hassle, go for WAV. If you don't mind installing a third-party plugin for it (should take a minute or so), go with FLAC.

Both are lossless formats, but FLAC is slightly more compact (think of it as a zipped audio file, basically), and is being handled by more and more players out there, hardware and software alike. It also supports tagging, if you like to organise your music, so it's less of a "raw" audio format than WAV is.
    Thank you for the reply.

Think I'll go with FLAC. What third party plugin should I be looking for? Link?

Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    everyone keeps saying it's the same art as "still," but isn't it really just the art style from the 2CD and all that could have been?

"and all that could have been" . . . "not the actual events" . . . similar concepts, no?

Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by chiprock View Post
    so everybody is in agreement that this awesome? Well i never.
    I'm at work so can't give this a proper listen until later, but i can tell that it will certainly benefit from being played loud.

So - do some people actually have a pdf with their download? If so - are there credits on this? I'm curious to see if more people were involved beyond trent and atticus. Confused about yet another piece of cover art too. Maybe they just can't decide which version is better. Whatevs.
    100% awesome!!!!! 4th listen here!

Mentioned
    28 Post(s)
    The screaming breakdown in The Idea of You is very Niggy Tardust.

Mentioned
    207 Post(s)
    First world problems: FLAC won't work on my phone so I have to put the MP3 on my sd card to listen to it on the way to work

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by ManBurning View Post
    On my second listen... Tracks 1 and 2 are better than I remembered! This is growing on me nicely. Wasn't sure what to think at first, but this is good!

(That fact that I am listening to this at 1:10am and he says "Yes, everyone seems to be asleep" is just too funny... They literally are all asleep. Except us nut-ball NIN fans that stayed up for this. (This isn't staying up for me though. My normal bedtime is around 3am, so this is nothing unusual to me))
    I am 100% with you on this! At first listen I really wasnt sure. By "She's Gone Away" I thought... THIS song i like. By "The Idea of You" & "Burning Bright" I was sold! I took no mental processing break. Replayed the last two tracks and then started from the beginning. It all makes sense now. I'm on listen like 5 beginning to end. So good.

BTW, West Coast 130am listener on Sony MDR headphones. Volume on max. Also purchased multiple sets on different formats. Hate that its the same album art as Still.

Mentioned
    120 Post(s)
    @ChipRock yeah if you consider yourself a big NIN fan I'm not clear how you can't be over the moon with this EP. Considering the safe place NIN has been in since Year Zero, this is a bit of a shock. Especially considering Trent's age & genuine state of happiness the last few years with his growing family & huge soundtrack success.

OH MAN WHAT A TIME...

Mentioned
    28 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by MSL View Post
    everyone keeps saying it's the same art as "still," but isn't it really just the art style from the 2CD and all that could have been?

"and all that could have been" . . . "not the actual events" . . . similar concepts, no?
    Nope, it's just the same artwork from Still. AATCHB CD and DVD have different covers.

http://www.nin.wiki/And_All_That_Could_Have_Been_(halo)

http://www.nin.wiki/Still

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    She's Gone Away is my favourite I think. It's like Reptile via Tom Waites or something. Weird album but I love it

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Ha anybody that bought from the UK store received their links yet? Or will the original link that only contained artwork now work?

Mentioned
    207 Post(s)
    The Idea Of You's open drum lick is pure nu metal and I love it

Mentioned
    251 Post(s)
    I am so thrilled to see everybody digging this stuff. I really, really hope there's an overwhelmingly positive reception to this thing and Trent continues to explore this style of material. This is the dark, threatening, looming industrial craziness that made me a NIN fan to begin with and I am so, so hooked again. I hope people like bill are having a blast having to deal with the fact that he still can totally make raging, insane, noisy shit like this. I'm so in love.

And @bobbie solo this material all feels absolutely perfect for a live environment. Enough space to groove on things like Dear World, with plenty of hardcore industrial NIN aggression to things like Idea of You and Burn Bright. Having Trent Reznor screaming those utterly fucking menacing lyrics to Burn Bright at my face would terrify me and I need it to happen ASAP

Mentioned
    141 Post(s)
    "She's Gone Away" is like the songs "With Teeth" and "The Fragile" got together and had a child. This would be it.

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by dtuck90 View Post
    Ha anybody that bought from the UK store received their links yet? Or will the original link that only contained artwork now work?
    I'm from the UK and got mine. Got an email in my junk mail

Mentioned
    180 Post(s)
    I'll call it first: I bet we get a new full-length album in 2017

You don't make your collaborator of the past 15 years a full-fledged member and come raging out of nowhere with something like this, just to go back into hibernation mode. There's definitely something larger at work here. Especially when they come here and read the feedback it's garnering..

They've done three 90+ minute film scores since the last NIN album. This is just the tip of the iceberg, I'm betting..

Mentioned
    122 Post(s)
    I really hope you guys give this EP a listen through some stellar headphones. I'm currently wrapping up my first play though on my Sony MDR-7506s and there are so many little sounds I don't think I would have picked up on through speakers...

im ready to go on that adventure, TR...

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    This... sounds like a promise.