Page 12 of 123 FirstFirst ... 2 10 11 12 13 14 22 62 112 ... LastLast

Thread: Not The Actual Events

Mentioned
    251 Post(s)
    I mean, it's not like Atticus hasn't been all over the NIN production notes for the last ... I don't know, ten years or so now? He's clearly been a very close collaborator on all Reznor projects for a long time and to officially name him a member doesn't mean he wasn't already adding a lot of his voice and influence to things. They specifically call it a departure from HM and their score work; people getting worried it'll be five Juno-style songs seem to not be paying attention to that.

Mentioned
    50 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Substance242 View Post

Re: lyrics, I expect for example: "Dear world, fuck you." ;-)

But with a grammatical error

Mentioned
    13 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by dlb View Post
    I am a bit worried that Atticus is now considered a full member of the band since that combination used to be linked to the soundtrack work which I do love, yet I don't want NIN to sound the same or be re-hash of their soundtrack explorations. Now with the description of this new EP I am more excited than ever before to hear what this will sound like.

Would be nice to know with whom Trent was in contact with over the course of the year and who could have inspired this "new" sound of NIN. Well, we will know in 5 days, so I guess all speculation isn't that necessary.

My only hopes are that this EP picks me up or hits a certain spot that gets me back into NIN full time and with only 5 songs on it I hope these are 5 punches to the face other than overly long moody-pieces.
    I'm with you on this. I'd like to see Trent take a (tiny) break from Atticus, just to see what he, alone, would create.

Mentioned
    80 Post(s)
    yes, don't get me wrong on this, I do like Atticus a fair bunch and I do know that his fingerprints are all over recent NIN releases. It will be interesting to see him working as a full NIN member though and if his input will lead to the soundtrack-y side of Trent or a fresh approach to NIN. At least it did not stop me from pre-ordering this since I know it will definitely be worth our while, I'm just hoping it grabs me for all the right reasons why I love NIN. 5 days!

Mentioned
    96 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by paul_guyet View Post
    I'm with you on this. I'd like to see Trent take a (tiny) break from Atticus, just to see what he, alone, would create.
    But Trent has never been alone. He has always had a collaborator(s) and/or helping hand.

I do wish he would move on from this post-With Teeth sound from Year Zero on.

Mentioned
    115 Post(s)
    But, some new blood would be refressing.

Mentioned
    96 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by witte View Post
    But, some new blood would be refressing.
    I agree. I'd like to see Trent work with some new folks.

Mentioned
    234 Post(s)
    https://play.spotify.com/user/johnkr...o7Bku34Y7zkEuU

Track lengths are showing up on Spotify.

Mentioned
    104 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Alex of scotland View Post
    I don't understand what Trent would be on a USB that wouldn't be available to download.

The point of the AIR USB's was to make you feel like you where in an episode of Mission Impossible.
    If they mail that to your house it looses the Secret Squirrel Super Club appeal.
    Yeah, it loses SSSC appeal. But some people like collecting tangible goods (hello, people who buy limited edition vinyl and never once listen to them). A USB key wouldn't be about "oooooh, I found this tucked behind the loo at a gig," it would simply be an added value to a purchase and, if done properly, a way for the artist to make more money. As for why a lot of people are speculating that it could be USB, I don't think it's based on the ARG. Other bands have done USB releases. It's a format that's even more common than CDs now in terms of devices that will accept them. And even though you *could* put anything online that you could put on a USB stick, that doesn't mean you have to. USB sticks could have a bonus track, some additional artwork, whatever. Or they could have nothing more than collector appeal. They can be reformatted and simply used as any old USB stick.

And of course, it could just plain not be a USB stick anyway and we all sound like idiots for talking about it.

Mentioned
    28 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Sarah K View Post
    https://play.spotify.com/user/johnkr...o7Bku34Y7zkEuU

Track lengths are showing up on Spotify.
    21:07 total for anybody curious.

Mentioned
    180 Post(s)
    branches/bones: 01:46
    dear world: 04:06
    she's gone away: 06:00
    the idea of you: 03:27
    burning bright (field on fire): 05:50

So I bet Br/Bo is an instrumental (though how fucking great would it be if it was like a fast, aggressive punk song charging right out of the gates..), Dear World will be a rager, SGA will no doubt be an epic ballad, TIOY a mid-tempo burner and BBFOF will be another ballad-ish number

Works for me!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by dlb View Post
    I am a bit worried that Atticus is now considered a full member of the band since that combination used to be linked to the soundtrack work which I do love, yet I don't want NIN to sound the same or be re-hash of their soundtrack explorations. Now with the description of this new EP I am more excited than ever before to hear what this will sound like.

Would be nice to know with whom Trent was in contact with over the course of the year and who could have inspired this "new" sound of NIN. Well, we will know in 5 days, so I guess all speculation isn't that necessary.

My only hopes are that this EP picks me up or hits a certain spot that gets me back into NIN full time and with only 5 songs on it I hope these are 5 punches to the face other than overly long moody-pieces.
    Don't forget that Ross was also a prime part of HTDA as well.

Mentioned
    10 Post(s)
    (the physical component) Maybe it's an USB stick with some crazy computer virus to create NIN-botnet and rule the world. Or, some cheap Arduino-family computer to build NIN-botnet and rule... you know.

Joined (old ETS): 01 Sep 2004 -- Sydney, Australia
    Mentioned
    282 Post(s)
    Is Dear World meant to have a comma after it or not?

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    So..........if you don't put the digital+physical in your cart you can get media mail shipping. Both Fragile albums + NTAE shipping = $14.24. Would have been $32 something if I added the ''other'' NTAE package? I bought just the digital + physical last night with free shipping? Weird?

Mentioned
    994 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by NYRexall View Post
    branches/bones: 01:46
    dear world: 04:06
    she's gone away: 06:00
    the idea of you: 03:27
    burning bright (field on fire): 05:50

So I bet Br/Bo is an instrumental (though how fucking great would it be if it was like a fast, aggressive punk song charging right out of the gates..), Dear World will be a rager, SGA will no doubt be an epic ballad, TIOY a mid-tempo burner and BBFOF will be another ballad-ish number

Works for me!
    Heh, oddly enough, at first glance I thought this was a Bon Iver EP.

Mentioned
    180 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by allegro View Post
    Heh, oddly enough, at first glance I thought this was a Bon Iver EP.
    Maybe that's the drastic left turn they're referring to

Mentioned
    994 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by NYRexall View Post
    Maybe that's the drastic left turn they're referring to
    either that or this a 19th Century period piece concept thing like P.J. Harvey's "White Chalk."

Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    This is the long awaited Christmas NIN album.
    Last edited by nooneimportant; 12-18-2016 at 05:56 PM.

Mentioned
    24 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Ryan View Post
    Is Dear World meant to have a comma after it or not?
    I think it should. Both store pages have the comma. It's missing in the Discography track lists, but I think it's better to assume it should be there when it appears more than once, rather than assuming it's an error made twice.

Mentioned
    9 Post(s)
    Is this where people are discussing the TR/AR "Vietnam" soundtrack? Couldn't find it elsewhere.

https://play.spotify.com/user/johnkr...sKapD5tqAmCI0J

Mentioned
    11 Post(s)
    This kinda implies the songs have been around since February, at least:

https://play.spotify.com/user/johnkr...oMqGpHYvWp1Z5t

Joined (old ETS): 01 Sep 2004 -- Sydney, Australia
    Mentioned
    282 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by butter_hole View Post
    This kinda implies the songs have been around since February, at least:

https://play.spotify.com/user/johnkr...oMqGpHYvWp1Z5t
    FEBRUARY? Surely not...

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    I just ordered both, so people are speculating a cassette for the physical object but I just had a thought. What if its like an 8-Track?

Edit: or even Laserdisc

Mentioned
    91 Post(s)
    It's not a laser disc.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by sweeterthan View Post
    It's not a laser disc.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Yeah I know, just a thought I had after typing, I was like "remember those things?"

The "for you to deal with" part still has me intrigued

Mentioned
    11 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by EvilGobi View Post
    I just ordered both, so people are speculating a cassette for the physical object but I just had a thought. What if its like an 8-Track?

Edit: or even Laserdisc
    It's small and free shipping. I'm going with art/lyrics booklet.

Mentioned
    180 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by allegro View Post
    either that or this a 19th Century period piece concept thing like P.J. Harvey's "White Chalk."
    White Chalk is amazing (just like her), so I'd be totally alright with that sort of thing, too

Mentioned
    180 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by EvilGobi View Post
    Yeah I know, just a thought I had after typing, I was like "remember those things?"

The "for you to deal with" part still has me intrigued
    "WE WILL SHIP THE PROPER PHYSICAL COMPONENT TO YOUR HOUSE FOR YOU TO DEAL WITH, WHILE VERY LIMITED SUPPLIES LAST."

Maybe it's part of a rodent clan they had nesting in the studio while they were working.

It'll come with a note that says: "Just like you imagined? lololol xo Trent"

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Just noticed something on the new nin.com.

The similarities between the covers of Still and the new record have been noted. Under Still's listing on the new site the text mentions that Still is one of "Reznor's favorite records of his own" and specifically mentions that the blueprints for future NIN records lie within. Given Trent's focus on that era recently, his love for Still, and the similarity with the cover of the new record...I'd say all of this could be a fairly large clue as to what we may be in for.

An "unexpected left turn" from the style of Hesitation Marks could very well be in the vein of Still.