Faceplams Faceplams:  0
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: The Defiant Ones (2016)

Mentioned
    207 Post(s)

The Defiant Ones (2016)

https://www.yahoo.com/music/hbo-sets...205536767.html

“The Defiant Ones” is a Silverback 5150 Pictures Production in association with Alcon Television Group. Executive producers are Allen Hughes, Doug Pray, Andrew Kosove, Broderick Johnson, Laura Lancaster, Jerry Longarzo, Michael Lombardo and Gene Kirkwood. It is written by Allen Hughes, Lasse Jarvi, Doug Pray; edited by Lasse Jarvi and Doug Pray. Music is composed by Atticus Ross, Leopold Ross, Claudia Sarne. Steven Williams serves as producer.

Mentioned
    73 Post(s)
    All four parts streaming now!

Mentioned
    73 Post(s)
    A Trent smile two minutes in, and The Mark Has Been Made 2.5 minutes in. I think I'm going to like this.

Mentioned
    79 Post(s)
    I just watched the first part and that track is there early in the film as it relates to Apple purchasing Beats.

Mentioned
    73 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by thevoid99 View Post
    I just watched the first part and that track is there early in the film as it relates to Apple purchasing Beats.
    The way it amps up at the right moment is so fucking good. I am loving this. About to start episode two!

Mentioned
    33 Post(s)
    "The Mark Has Been Made" used to perfection.

Mentioned
    73 Post(s)
    Episode 2 includes 9 Ghosts I and Kathleen from Broken City.

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    For anyone who just wants to cut to the real meat/focus of NIN in this: episode 3, ~13 minutes. A really great overview of Iovine's role in breaking Trent off TVT and the creation of Nothing Records. Excellent use of the Still version of TDTWWA. Really fascinating to see Iovine's enthusiasm for Trent and the desire to see him succeed, suddenly makes sense as to why they ended up working together for Beats/Apple Music.

(I've been binging this whole thing, the entire thing is worth watching through)

EDIT: And 34:36 for a Manson/1994 overview that's really well edited
    Last edited by pushingreality; 07-10-2017 at 01:03 AM.

Mentioned
    49 Post(s)
    Is there any way you can pay to just stream this on its own?

Mentioned
    73 Post(s)
    First, The Mark Has Been Made underscores the Tyrese/Dre video, and then in episode 3, Snoop's Gz and Hustlas kicks off a piece about Trent & Manson- eventually turning into a Closer mashup. Fuck, I love this thing.

EDIT: And then a story about Tupac cut to The Beautiful People interspersed with shots from the Happiness In Slavery video.
    Last edited by Toadflax; 07-10-2017 at 01:01 PM.

Mentioned
    73 Post(s)
    @sheepdean Unrelated, but it seems Atticus' relationship with the Hughes brothers is primarily with Allen, right? I just got invited to participate in a Q&A for Albert Hughes' new film. No composer has been announced yet, and I'm wondering what the chances are that Atticus scores it. If nothing else, I know what my first question will be!

Mentioned
    10 Post(s)
    "Leaving Hope" (probably my favorite song ever) is used very well during a pivotal sequence. There's almost too much NIN music to count!

Anyway, I loved this whole series. Highly recommended. I hope they release The Family Ross's original score. Speaking of which, I had no idea Iovine was married to Liberty Ross. His in-laws literally scored this show!

Mentioned
    73 Post(s)
    Neat.

Last edited by Toadflax; 07-10-2017 at 05:42 PM.

Mentioned
    207 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Toadflax View Post
    @sheepdean Unrelated, but it seems Atticus' relationship with the Hughes brothers is primarily with Allen, right? I just got invited to participate in a Q&A for Albert Hughes' new film. No composer has been announced yet, and I'm wondering what the chances are that Atticus scores it. If nothing else, I know what my first question will be!
    Pretty much - he even scored the opening of a music video Allen did, though I'm sure he's still bros with Albert

Mentioned
    73 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by sheepdean View Post
    Pretty much - he even scored the opening of a music video Allen did, though I'm sure he's still bros with Albert
    I think I remember hearing that Jimmy Iovine and Allen but not Albert attended his master class thingy, not that Albert's absence means anything, of course. I went online looking for info and found myself in a Getty Image. I'm at the bottom right leaning forward to make sure my phone's optimally placed and recording for @ninlive .

Mentioned
    73 Post(s)
    Wait. Holy shit. Is that Jimmy Iovine sitting five seats away from me??? Bottom center in the hat?

EDIT: And Liberty Ross next to him?
    Last edited by Toadflax; 07-10-2017 at 10:23 PM.

Mentioned
    120 Post(s)
    Finished the 1st three episodes. Starts off a bit slow for me, but starts to get real good halfway through the first episode. Great footage, great NIN music usage as has been said. I imagine this doc is even better if you aren't already very familiar with all of the drama surrounding Dre/NWA/Tupac/Death Row etc. Even still, this has been gold thus far.

Mentioned
    207 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Toadflax View Post
    Wait. Holy shit. Is that Jimmy Iovine sitting five seats away from me??? Bottom center in the hat?

EDIT: And Liberty Ross next to him?
    That's Jimmy for sure, can't tell if it's Liberty through the watermark

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Loved all 3 I've watched so far. Part 3 especially is fantastic, and not just because of the nine inch nails parts.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    really great documentary. i think part 3 was the most interesting because of the 90's drama. i love the parallel's between manson and tupac.

dre telling the car chase story with closer playing in the background was really well done.

Mentioned
    79 Post(s)
    Just watched the 2nd part as "9 Ghosts I" is there late in that segment. I'll finish the rest during the week as I got other films to see.

Mentioned
    180 Post(s)
    Part 3 is probably my favorite part of the whole thing so far, but not without some reservations. You really want me to believe that Jimmy locked himself in his bathroom every day for a year trying to coax NIN off TVT, and that smarmy douche Steve Gottleib just eventually handed over Trent's contract to Interscope? Get real. I get that the guy is a workaholic and is very driven, but that would never happen in reality.

Speaking of smarmy douches, Puff Diddy makes my skin crawl and watching his ego practically fill the room he's being interviewed in just makes me want to smack him upside his big goofy head a couple dozen times.

On a more positive note, that intense montage of NIN, Manson and Tupac is fantastic, and the way they get in-depth about the whole East Coast – West Coast feud is killer, too..

I miss the 90s so much. Best decade ever, on so many different levels.

Mentioned
    79 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Prettybrokenspiral View Post
    Part 3 is probably my favorite part of the whole thing so far, but not without some reservations. You really want me to believe that Jimmy locked himself in his bathroom every day for a year trying to coax NIN off TVT, and that smarmy douche Steve Gottleib just eventually handed over Trent's contract to Interscope? Get real. I get that the guy is a workaholic and is very driven, but that would never happen in reality.

Speaking of smarmy douches, Puff Diddy makes my skin crawl and watching his ego practically fill the room he's being interviewed in just makes me want to smack him upside his big goofy head a couple dozen times.

On a more positive note, that intense montage of NIN, Manson and Tupac is fantastic, and the way they get in-depth about the whole East Coast – West Coast feud is killer, too..

I miss the 90s so much. Best decade ever, on so many different levels.
    Same here. I saw it last night as Gottlieb looks like more of a fucking douche than he ever was. I think that story about Jimmy Iovine locking himself in the bathroom to try and get Trent to Interscope I think is really just an exaggeration.

Yeah, Poo Doody is full of himself and I would so love to go to one of his parties and piss on his fucking tower of champagne.

Yes, the stuff about NIN, Manson, Dre, Snoop, 2Pac. Man, those were fucking good times. That was the kind of shit my parents didn't want me to listen to. Nowadays. Whoa... they're like "and we thought what you were listening to was bad but this... puta-madre".

Mentioned
    117 Post(s)
    Anyone by chance know the song that's playing during episode four's Beats Music part (where Jimmy and Trent are talking about going to Apple)?

I'm guessing it's part of the score (not available yet) but wanted to make sure.
    Last edited by Swykk; 07-12-2017 at 05:52 PM.

Mentioned
    207 Post(s)
    Woop woop woop, soundtrack release! Didn't really expect one
    http://filmmusicreporter.com/2017/07...o-be-released/

Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by sheepdean View Post
    Woop woop woop, soundtrack release! Didn't really expect one
    http://filmmusicreporter.com/2017/07...o-be-released/
    I was pleasantly surprised to see that. Since most of the doco soundtrack used NIN, and other Interscope artists, I just assumed the rest was from Ghosts. I was going to check which tracks were used since I liked a lot of them. Looks like I'll need to buy this one.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    i thought interscope shelved the last 12 rounds album.

Mentioned
    49 Post(s)
    Anyone know if this is ever going to be released on DVD? (I mean the actual documentary)

Mentioned
    207 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by howisya View Post
    i thought interscope shelved the last 12 rounds album.
    Do you really want to get me started on my feelings about that album still not being out

Mentioned
    207 Post(s)
    It's out btw
    http://amzn.to/2vf1ZZA