Faceplams Faceplams:  0
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: Alternate versions that are better than the original song

Mentioned
    53 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by wizfan View Post
    Just listened to the 2001 mix of The Hollow. Yay for Josh!
    I love Josh and I love Alan Moulder but his drum recording absolutely does not fit in the mix the way Tim's original recordings do. It simply doesn't sound right, especially when the guitars and bass come in at the start. The guitars and bass are the same as Howerdel's demo recordings and have a really weird/poorly recorded quality that work with the original drum mix better. This could be a feature of Moulder's mix, though. Deadlines or whatever.

Quote Originally Posted by Ryan View Post
    How come the original version has the "in cycles, in circles" line, but it's just edited to "in cycles" in the 2001 mix?
    It's because they added the second chorus. If you leave the vocals as they are originally, there'd be a weird overlap where MJK would sing "deVOUR" right when his chorus vocal sings "FEEEEEEED," because they both would occur on the same downbeat. I haven't learned the song, but I suspect the chorus starts with a chord change that doesn't work with how MJK sang "devour," so it probably sounded awful. So, you cut out "in circles" so you can drag the last lines of the verse back, thus allowing them to finish before any chorus vocals.

Isn't it funny that the 2001 mix was for a radio promo, but it's LONGER than the original because of the added chorus? I wonder if that's ever happened before.

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Gary Numan's piano version of Are Friends Electric. Way more atmospheric and lonesome than the original.

Mentioned
    528 Post(s)
    oh, the NIN version of Suck is definitely better than the Pigface version

Mentioned
    732 Post(s)
    Bowie-Bring Me The Disco King (Lohner Mix)
    Last edited by elevenism; 11-30-2016 at 03:20 PM.

Mentioned
    732 Post(s)
    Where Is Everybody (Version)

Joined (old ETS): 01 Sep 2004 -- Sydney, Australia
    Mentioned
    282 Post(s)
    Gary Numan - A Prayer For The Unborn (Andy Gray Mix)

It's played live in favour of the album version.

Mentioned
    45 Post(s)
    James: This live take of "Ring The Bells", as featured on the X-Files, is hands-down better than the studio take

I think I prefer the accoustic take on "Change..." by Deftones

Mentioned
    32 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by eversonpoe View Post
    oh, the NIN version of Suck is definitely better than the Pigface version

I'm liking this version more than the one on Broken. ​I'm guessing both are better than the original, not being a huge Adam Ant fan.

Mentioned
    96 Post(s)
    The Prodigy - Fuel My Fire

The Prodigy's cover of the L7 track released on their album The Fat Of The Land.
    Last edited by neorev; 12-01-2016 at 06:26 AM.

Mentioned
    96 Post(s)
    The Prodigy - Trigger

Performed in 2002 before the release of Always Outnumbered, Never Outgunned, in it's original non-bastardized version before it was reworked and renamed Shoot Down with the Gallagher brothers.
    Last edited by neorev; 12-01-2016 at 06:25 AM.

Mentioned
    96 Post(s)
    Michael Stein & Kyle Dixon - Stranger Things (Extended)

(featured on Vol. 2, because who doesn't want a longer, more awesome version of this already awesome theme song?)
    Last edited by neorev; 12-01-2016 at 06:24 AM.

Mentioned
    96 Post(s)
    The Prodigy - The Big Gundown (also known as Comanche live)

Are there any Ennio Morricone fans here??? This song may sound familiar then.

Mentioned
    96 Post(s)
    UNKLE ft. Ian Brown - Be There

This track was originally released on their album Psyence Fiction as an alternate instrumental version called Unreal. They reworked the track with Ian Brown on vocals and released it as a single later on.

Mentioned
    96 Post(s)
    UNDERWORLD - BORN SLIPPY (NUXX)

Here's a song that many folks love, but don't realize that it is not the original version. Hell, even the version they know from the Trainspotting soundtrack is actually a shorter, different version. But even this Trainspotting version and nearly 12 minute full version are not the original. If someone actually played the original, you probably wouldn't even know you were listening to the same song. The song we all know and love is actually a mash up of two other tracks... Born Slippy and Nuxx.

Mentioned
    13 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by seasonsinthesky View Post
    I love Josh and I love Alan Moulder but his drum recording absolutely does not fit in the mix the way Tim's original recordings do. It simply doesn't sound right, especially when the guitars and bass come in at the start. The guitars and bass are the same as Howerdel's demo recordings and have a really weird/poorly recorded quality that work with the original drum mix better. This could be a feature of Moulder's mix, though. Deadlines or whatever.

It's because they added the second chorus. If you leave the vocals as they are originally, there'd be a weird overlap where MJK would sing "deVOUR" right when his chorus vocal sings "FEEEEEEED," because they both would occur on the same downbeat. I haven't learned the song, but I suspect the chorus starts with a chord change that doesn't work with how MJK sang "devour," so it probably sounded awful. So, you cut out "in circles" so you can drag the last lines of the verse back, thus allowing them to finish before any chorus vocals.

Isn't it funny that the 2001 mix was for a radio promo, but it's LONGER than the original because of the added chorus? I wonder if that's ever happened before.
    According to Skwerl (or maybe even Billy in a Q&A) on the old APC.net boards it was re-recorded on the road by the band in one take and Maynard's original vocal track was added later.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Mentioned
    732 Post(s)
    I thought we weren't doing covers.

Okay, well then i nominate NIN's cover of the immortal Johnny Cash song, Hurt.

Mentioned
    96 Post(s)
    Player (aka Amon Tobin) - Angel Of Theft

I've seen Amon Tobin live close to a dozen times. He used to do an annual show here in NYC on this 200-300 person party boat that went around Manhattan while him and a couple of opening DJs would perform. Not a bad night out for only $30 a ticket. I remember one year he closed with this reworking of Slayer's "Reign In Blood" and the crowd went absolutely apeshit! It was kinda funny how it went from polite dancing and nodding to full on moshing mayhem in an instant all aboard a boat. Before his set, he would just walk among the crowd chatting with fans and watching the opening acts. The last time he played the boat, he was literally sitting right behind me out on the rear deck. I wanted so bad to turn and talk to him, but I was pretty wrecked on molly and didn't want to make a fool of myself. Good times.

Mentioned
    84 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by seasonsinthesky View Post

The Smashing Pumpkins
    - "Tonite Reprise" version 1 (no bloody voice crack!)
    - "Cupid de Locke" BT 2012 mix (spacier/better arrangement and mix)
    - "Marquis in Spades" BT 2012 mix (the bass tone is incredible)
    - all of Machina/The Machines of God early mix, every song!
    I'll assent to this and just speculate "Probably every Machina mix we haven't heard yet slated for the box that may or may not ever come out".
    -Spaceboy (Outtake '93, from Mashed Potatoes)
    -Jupiter's Lament (Barbershop version with full band)
    -That version of The Tale of Dusty and Pistol Pete - one of the versions on the Adore reissue's bonus disc, think it was the CRC Demo - that had much more prominent bass
    -The 'magically surfaced' versions of Home and GATGC
    -Death From Above (If All Goes Wrong Piano and Vox version)

Mentioned
    87 Post(s)
    The original version of "Heartbeats" by the Knife is nothing compared to the live version. The is the definitive performance of the song.

Mentioned
    64 Post(s)
    All right, I'm gonna join in the fun and post YouTube embeds of some of the songs I mentioned on my long-ass post a page ago.

This is the original version of Massive Attack's Dissolved Girl, as featured in the soundtrack of some stupid Bruce Willis/Richard Gere flick. This was a year before Mezzanine (a.k.a. "Reverb: The Album"). I like its raw, dry, straight-up rock sound. It makes me want to punch the universe in the face. The Mezzanine version, though, makes me want to punch the universe in the face... while underwater.

Mentioned
    528 Post(s)

Placebo - I'll Be Yours (Version 4am)
    everything about this version is superior to the album version. musically, emotionally, it's so much better.

Mentioned
    64 Post(s)
    This blows away the Euphoria Morning version.

Mentioned
    82 Post(s)
    I think that Guns N' Roses version of KOHD from the Ritz is far better than the one that ended up on Use Your Illusion II or Dylan's original.

Mentioned
    82 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by wizfan View Post
    This blows away the Euphoria Morning version.

The entire Poncier EP is excellent. I agree that the original "Flutter Girl" is better than the 1999 one, but I prefer the Superunknown "Spoonman" over the '92 Cornell demo.

Mentioned
    104 Post(s)
    This "live" version of Antichrist Superstar is still my favorite - I put live in quotes because even though this is an early recording, I'm not positive that these are the live vocals.

From a production standpoint, I like it a lot more than the album version. I think it fits what Manson was complaining about when he said he didn't like Trent's production of the album - that it was "weak" sounding compared to what was in his head.
    Last edited by theimage13; 03-24-2020 at 09:32 AM.

Mentioned
    528 Post(s)
    some covers i like more than the originals:

orgy • blue monday (new order)
    bauhaus • telegram sam (t rex)
    NIN • dead souls (joy division)
    tv on the radio • mr. grieves (pixies)
    bauhaus • third uncle (brian eno)
    fever ray • stranger than kindness (nick cave & the bad seeds)
    nick cave & the bad seeds • avalanche (leonard cohen; this is actually a tie, i think)
    naked city • erotico - live at the knitting factory (ennio morricone)

for a long time i've wanted to make a pair of mixes with original versions of songs on one, and their covers on the other

Mentioned
    100 Post(s)
    Covers, alternates, demos

Benny Blanco // East Side (Acoustic) (feat. Khalid & Halsey)
    Johnny Cash // the majority of the Orange Blossom Special LP
    Johnny Cash // As Long As The Grass Shall Grow (duet w/ June Carter-Cash from Unearthed box set)
    John Coltrane // My Favorite Things
    The Dillinger Escape Plan // Come To Daddy
    Glassjaw // Convectuoso (EYEWTKAS demo version)
    Marilyn Manson // Down In The Park (this one was probably already listed)
    Smashing Pumpkins // Heavy Metal Machine (live version with "will you die for rock and roll?" section; this was probably already listed)
    toe // Good Bye (New Sentimentality) (Live)

Mentioned
    528 Post(s)
    speaking of smashing pumpkins!

i wouldn't say it's better but it's quite different and i love it:

Mentioned
    32 Post(s)

Mentioned
    528 Post(s)
    oh, duh: