Quote Originally Posted by wizfan View Post
Just listened to the 2001 mix of The Hollow. Yay for Josh!
I love Josh and I love Alan Moulder but his drum recording absolutely does not fit in the mix the way Tim's original recordings do. It simply doesn't sound right, especially when the guitars and bass come in at the start. The guitars and bass are the same as Howerdel's demo recordings and have a really weird/poorly recorded quality that work with the original drum mix better. This could be a feature of Moulder's mix, though. Deadlines or whatever.

Quote Originally Posted by Ryan View Post
How come the original version has the "in cycles, in circles" line, but it's just edited to "in cycles" in the 2001 mix?
It's because they added the second chorus. If you leave the vocals as they are originally, there'd be a weird overlap where MJK would sing "deVOUR" right when his chorus vocal sings "FEEEEEEED," because they both would occur on the same downbeat. I haven't learned the song, but I suspect the chorus starts with a chord change that doesn't work with how MJK sang "devour," so it probably sounded awful. So, you cut out "in circles" so you can drag the last lines of the verse back, thus allowing them to finish before any chorus vocals.

Isn't it funny that the 2001 mix was for a radio promo, but it's LONGER than the original because of the added chorus? I wonder if that's ever happened before.