Faceplams Faceplams:  0
Page 5 of 9 FirstFirst ... 3 4 5 6 7 ... LastLast

Thread: Alien: Covenant

Mentioned
    85 Post(s)
    On the one hand, I've always liked Alien 3, and I actually in time came to consider Newt and Hicks' acrimonious death kind of apropos for the shitty washed-out miserable bad-luck universe that is the Alien franchise. So I wouldn't want that taken away.

On the other, fuck Resurrection. I was looking forward to that thing being erased from continuity.

Mentioned
    35 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Shadaloo View Post
    On the one hand, I've always liked Alien 3, and I actually in time came to consider Newt and Hicks' acrimonious death kind of apropos for the shitty washed-out miserable bad-luck universe that is the Alien franchise. So I wouldn't want that taken away.

On the other, fuck Resurrection. I was looking forward to that thing being erased from continuity.
    Aliens is far and away my favorite of the Alien series. The music score, that classic '80s movie vibe, the great actors/characters... It's got heart and humor as well as horror and suspense. It's one of the best action movies of all time and (much like T2) a perfect blueprint for a successful sequel. Alien is a great film and certainly a classic, but it hasn't aged as well as Aliens. Alien3 is great in its own way as a flawed masterpiece and (whether he wants to admit it or not) the genesis of my favorite director. Regarding the deaths of Newt and Hicks, at least they were given what could be considered in this series to be merciful deaths. They died in their sleep rather than being torn apart by the Aliens or used as a host and forced to endure a chestburster's excruciatingly painful birth. I liked Resurrection more when I was younger, but it's always been my least favorite of the original films (although it does have one of the best scenes in the franchise when Ripley discovers the other failed clones). The AVP movies aren't even in the same echelon, they're more in the realm of Freddy vs. Jason territory of professionally made fan films. Despite my concern that Ridley doesn't seem to entirely know what he wants this franchise to be anymore, I am excited for Covenant. I just wish that Blomkamp were allowed to make his proposed Alien sequel. I was very intrigued and extremely interested to see an alternate (?) future where Hicks and Newt survive and the facial scarring on Hicks would have been really cool too.

Mentioned
    96 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by r_z View Post
    It's still lame how they killed off Newt and Michael Biehn tho
    It didn't bother me. Again, to me, this series was about Ripley. It's about looking at their deaths from Ripley's point of view, not yours. The way their deaths were made it even more tragic for her. There's one thing fighting alongside and going out with a certain honor and awareness of your death, then there's the discovering of a loved ones death who was just out of your reach where events left it completely out of your control. Why was I spared?-sorta thing. To know Newt and Hicks died just feet from her while she slept, that's a much more gut wrenching discovery than Newt or Hicks going out in a blaze of glory. The fact it happened off screen and right at the start emphasizes how instantly the feeling of security and hope can be robbed from you. In the Alien series, there is no security or hope if even a single one of the organisms are alive. Not even in peaceful sleep. To have an alien strike you while you're asleep and unaware is even more frightening than knowingly facing one head on. Plus the assembly cut shows you some brutal scenes of Hicks' aftermath that are pretty disturbing and make Ripley's state of mind even more desperate. The first two Alien films were about Ripley's fight to survive while the third is her coming to terms with giving up her life to put an end to these creatures being more important than her survival. The religious aspects brought up in the third ties in nicely with what Scott's building with Prometheus/Covenant. These new movies make the third's existence even more important.
    Last edited by neorev; 05-02-2017 at 11:00 AM.

Mentioned
    22 Post(s)
    With some of these new trailers I am not sure what is part of the film and what's been created specifically for marketing.

Mentioned
    61 Post(s)
    Where on the timeline is the new one?

Mentioned
    97 Post(s)
    ^^
    Prometheus -> Covenant -> unknown amount of Prometheus/Covenant sequels -> Alien -> Aliens -> A3 -> Resurrection.

I thought Ridley made this clear in pretty much every interview he ever did since Prometheus.

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by mfte View Post
    With some of these new trailers I am not sure what is part of the film and what's been created specifically for marketing.
    that's the point, i guess.
    fictionalized augmented reality ads for the next film. Walter right beside you.
    Last edited by baudolino; 05-05-2017 at 06:41 PM.

Mentioned
    54 Post(s)
    I'm interested in this - not really digging all the "LOOK AT THE SCARY ALIEN" treatment. I lost a little suspense seeing them so much and so clearly in the previews, but honestly that's just how I normally respond to revealing antagonistic creatures/entities in trailers. Don't show me too much, brah!

Mentioned
    32 Post(s)

Mentioned
    22 Post(s)
    Its thought it was good...definetly the best in the Alien franchise since 1986!!!!

Alien 3 and Ressurection both had their moments but could not hold a candle to the first two. I dont count Alien vs Predator, and Prometheus seemed too convoluted.

This one is much more straightforward. gets straight to the point.. its also much scarier and horrific than Prometheus.. much nastier....

This is what the Third Alien movie should have been like...
    Just really good film...was never bored...i liked Fassbender and the lead actress.. only downer..its feels like a first chapter...as if the film was just a stepping stone to the REAL next film...the ending is left wide open..probably going to be about 5 sequels..

it reminds me of the first X Men film from 2000...good film, but just felt like a starting point to something bigger..

Ridley Scott despite being hit and miss never fails to make films look visually stunning and bring a weird atmosphere...

The scenes on the spaceship mother are really tense...even when nothing is happening..just unsettling and claustrophobic.

Im feeling better about the Blade Runner sequel...

Mentioned
    25 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Exocet View Post
    The scenes on the spaceship mother are really tense...even when nothing is happening..just unsettling and claustrophobic.
    Oh definitely! I was on edge almost all the time after shit started going wrong for the crew.

I really enjoyed it, the most Alien like Alien film for decades, but i was a little let down by the ending (i'd have preferred if it was all just tied up nicely in this film, but they need their squeals so i can live with it, i mean we need to know how they got to LV-426)

Mentioned
    528 Post(s)

Mentioned
    25 Post(s)
    One thing i would have changed, dropped 'alien' from the title and from the trailers. Would have made the appearance of it much better, but there's no chance that would have happened

Glad the Xenomorph is back to being terrifying again!

Mentioned
    25 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by eversonpoe View Post
    ...that was a bit harsh

Mentioned
    528 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Haysey View Post
    ...that was a bit harsh
    he tends to be a pretty harsh reviewer because he has high expectations for things, especially ones that continue/reference the stories he enjoyed as a kid. he's actually a really nice guy and super excitable (when we saw John Carpenter together he looked like a giddy little kid the whole time) but his online persona (and especially his reviews) tend to be more on the pessimistic side.

Mentioned
    25 Post(s)
    he tends to be a pretty harsh reviewer because he has high expectations for things, especially ones that continue/reference the stories he enjoyed as a kid. he's actually a really nice guy and super excitable (when we saw John Carpenter together he looked like a giddy little kid the whole time) but his online persona (and especially his reviews) tend to be more on the pessimistic side.
    I can understand that. More harsh opinions on Films/TV tend to get better traffic (hell most YouTube videos are titled "DOES THIS FILM SUCK" to get the clicks) Each to their own though

Mentioned
    14 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Haysey View Post
    ...that was a bit harsh
    Although I enjoyed the film on a certain level, I think he makes valid points. The clash between the philosophical/existential and the visceral horror was more apparent here than in Prometheus. During most of the movie I felt like I was watching disjointed scenes thrown together instead of a cohesive whole. I don't think it's a bad movie, Ridley Scott still has the knack of creating an unsettling atmosphere. But it needs to become somewhat more focused instead of getting an expanded universe treatment with forgettable and disposable characters. David is a good focal point, I hope they explore that side more.

Mentioned
    94 Post(s)

Haven't seen the film yet but I'm not surprised by what these guys are saying, i was afraid of this movie feeling too "been there, done that".

Mentioned
    11 Post(s)
    I saw it with my mum at the weekend, and we were a little bit meh by the end.. but having had a few days to mull it over.. I quite liked it. The best thing was it tells and interesting story with interesting lore, and even makes Prometheus seem ok. The end is by far the worst bit as it just feels rushed, but taken together, Prometheus and Covenant tell an interesting and unique tale. both on their own fail. So yeah, its not Alien of old, its not as bad as people make out either. The mood, soundtrack and Fassbender(s) do a great job in conveying the more existential horror of things.
    I give it a B-

Mentioned
    100 Post(s)
    Honest side question here.

How am I supposed to take a reviewer seriously when they're putting on a persona, and it's not "for a laugh"?

This isn't specifically aimed at your friend, it's a trend I see more and more these days. @Haysey mentioned it was for extra traffic, and I tend to agree.

Whatever, I know most people ignore reviews; I guess this encapsulates why I tend to.

Mentioned
    25 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Jon View Post
    Honest side question here.

How am I supposed to take a reviewer seriously when they're putting on a persona, and it's not "for a laugh"?

This isn't specifically aimed at your friend, it's a trend I see more and more these days. @Haysey mentioned it was for extra traffic, and I tend to agree.

Whatever, I know most people ignore reviews; I guess this encapsulates why I tend to.
    That's a fair question, to be honest i tend to look for reviewers how usually agree with my own views on films/comics etc (MovieBob is a good example for me) so that when they recommend a film i can normally feel confident i'll enjoy it. Most Blooger/Vlooger reviewers have personas now, Moviebob inc, but they tend to just be exaggerated versions of themselves (which i think applies to @eversonpoe 's friend) They're still their views, but just a bit more entertaining?

Again i tend to find reviewers who have similar opinions to my own, it's hard to find people who review films from a completely neutral prospective, and even though @eversonpoe 's friend was harsh from my point of view doesn't mean i would discredit it, even if he is using a persona to get his opinions across.

...if that makes sense

Mentioned
    20 Post(s)
    I just saw it. It was awesome.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Mentioned
    10 Post(s)
    I thought it was really disappointing. I loved Prometheus.

Mentioned
    85 Post(s)
    This might be the absolute worst piece of shit excuse for a movie I have ever seen.

I am reeling at how hard this movie failed in every conceivable way.

Mentioned
    50 Post(s)
    Just got back from seeing it. One big gripe. But otherwise, I thought it was awesome.

Mentioned
    141 Post(s)
    I don't see what the problem is here, I thought it was a fantastic flick. This movie seems to have a pretty divided audience. The people that love it, really love it and the people that hate it really hate it.

Mentioned
    35 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Piko View Post
    Just got back from seeing it. One big gripe. But otherwise, I thought it was awesome.
    I'm curious to hear what your big gripe was (can you put it in spoiler tags?). I saw it tonight and I have mixed feelings about the movie. I thought it was beautifully shot overall and I liked most of the characters. Some scenes and ideas were awesome and built on the ideas introduced in Prometheus while foreshadowing things to come in Alien and Aliens, yet some were frustrating, aggravating, or even cringe-inducing. One scene in particular was so lame it was embarrassing. It was definitely more violent and heavy on the horror and gore than any film in the series since the first installment. My fiance had to look away multiple times. When I walked out of the theater, I gave it a C+, but after thinking about it and reading a few reviews that perfectly summed up my thoughts on what it did right and what it didn't handle quite as well, I think I may like it a little more than I initially thought. Still, the best I'd give it is a B-. For the record, I mostly liked Prometheus, though it's certainly not without its flaws. I just don't find them annoying enough to completely ruin my enjoyment of the movie.

Mentioned
    50 Post(s)
    My gripe about the movie is about the things they cut. There's two scenes that make no sense why they cut them out. I'm thinking it was due to flow. They're on youtube, so i'm not sure if they're spoilers or not. But, Spoiler: the way the handled the death of Shaw was weak. I absolutely hate when you kill off a major character inbetween films and just gloss over it. And when they get to the Engineer plant, they're like whatever, "lets just kill them all off and get it over with so we can move onto the alien stuff". There's also the scene with the crew having dinner and a party. Giving you an idea of who these people are and why you should care about them. Instead, we got a crew with no real background to just kill off. Of course, it's mostly David's story (which i'm absolutely fine with). But, at least give the other characters a little more depth. Cutting that out entirely is just stupid imo.

The ending. Maybe it's not so much a gripe as it is more of me wondering. Of course, this isn't going to be the last movie. So there will probably be a better way to tie things up with the first film. But where the hell do you do go from that ending?

I just wish they would've given the other characters their spotlight, Shaw included. You can't just kill off a main character, cut it, and just tell us a brief run through about it. They clearly filmed stuff with her. Give her death some actually meaning. Don't give me the cliff notes.".

Other than that, I enjoyed it. Very predictable, but I had a blast watching it. Just wish they didn't leave so many plot holes.

Mentioned
    80 Post(s)
    I enjoyed it quite alot but it is even more flawed than Prometheus imho and yes, @Piko , the movie moves along way to fast, the finale seems patched on and a lot of scenes (way more than the two you mentioned alhtough one of them is clearly a prologue for viral marketing) are missing apparently. The cutting is extreme and I do hope there is a director's cut or at least some deleted scenes on the BluRay for an avid fan to cut back into the movie.

On the other hand I just hate it when you watch a movie and you immediately think about how you could have made it work better. There are twists and turns in the movie that I would handeled way more carefully to not be revealed or expected so early on.

Fassbender once again steals the show and the scenes between Walter and David are far superior than what all the other actors achieve. Besides Cudrup and maybe McBride no one stands out. Too bad the lead actress is protayed in such a weak fashion as she seems to be nothing more than the glue that ties everything together without adding anything.

Overall I enjoyed how grotesque the movie was at some points, yet I would have wished the producers and Ridley went even more Giger on the sets etc... again a lot of opportunities were missed and above all the effects studios must be pissed as hell to see their puppetry being painted over with CGI. The sfx were handled quite good but I guess I would have preffered more practical effects.

And yes, the Engineers... pretty much nothing that Prometheus has touched upon is with us in this movie besides David and his view on creation and life.

Covenant is a solid entry in the Alien franchise but ultimately has no story at all, is a from time to time very well handled Alien re-hash but in the end a major dissapointment for me that I will keep coming back to, but it could have been soooo much more.

Mentioned
    50 Post(s)
    I'm really hoping for a director's cut. Read a rumor that the next movie is supposed to to take place before Covenant. If that's true, they better flesh out all of the Post-Prometheus stuff that they just glossed over. But Covenant really needs a director's cut.