Page 55 of 135 FirstFirst ... 5 45 53 54 55 56 57 65 105 ... LastLast
Results 1,621 to 1,650 of 4043

Thread: Marilyn Manson

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Sutekh View Post
    As I recall, the book contains descriptions of consensual s&m stuff. If you can't see the difference between that and the stuff erw is describing, then I'm not sure what to say

And what do you mean trendy bandwagon? Are you saying the recent wave of people (generally) coming forward with reports of abuse are just making it up, or that they're complaining about nothing

If these celebrities actually did these things, why on earth would you object to whistleblowing
    I think what he meant is that none of this should be shocking or big news to Manson fans. But today, in 2018 it seems to be a big deal and some fans are up in arms, when they didn’t seem to care about it in 2016 and earlier, and they’re only reacting now because it’s the thing to do.

I didn’t read the details of that girl’s accusations, but I can imagine how shitty her situation must have been. I guess all I can do is say I’m glad she got out of it.

Mentioned
    32 Post(s)
    Aye cause ten years ago was ten years ago, we were younger and sexism was more commonplace and acceptable. Embarassing, but true. I don't think anyone is feigning outrage to appear right-on, and making such an assumption is pretty revealing

Mentioned
    22 Post(s)
    The stuff in his autobiography sounded consensual but morally questionable. Modern day ideologues would probably make the argument that he used his position of power to exercise an unfair advantage over the some of these women which to them might equal sexual abuse.

Mentioned
    84 Post(s)
    Been a while but the anecdotes I recall were all consensual if undignified. They involved:

-The backstage confessions (audible on the recalled SLC promo)

-Trent and Manson blindfolding a girl (described unflatteringly as a "sea creature"), finding probable evidence of a yeast infection in her nether regions and calling an end to the night.

-Enema contest

-Urinating on a deaf girl, who gave the proviso that it was fine as long as it didn't get into her eyes. The awful part was when Pogo shouted something really nasty and Manson noted that was too much. They then had Daisy get in the shower with her without the knowledge she was covered with urine.

To the credit to some of those involved, throughout there does appear to be caution in the air when things seem to be going too far.

Mentioned
    32 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by mfte View Post
    The stuff in his autobiography sounded consensual but morally questionable. Modern day ideologues would probably make the argument that he used his position of power to exercise an unfair advantage over the some of these women which to them might equal sexual abuse.
    I can see that, but it edges towards claiming that having sex with someone lower down the socio economic ladder is wrong... which sounds a bit like caste/class rules. Very tricky

Mentioned
    50 Post(s)
    Whoops!
    Last edited by Piko; 03-15-2018 at 02:45 PM.

Mentioned
    49 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Piko View Post
    They caved. Now it's called Wrestlemania Women's Battle Royal. Not sure why they can't just name it after someone else. I get them not going the Chyna route. But there's so many other options. Sheri, Richter?
    wrong thread bruh

Mentioned
    33 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by SM Rollinger View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Piko
    They caved. Now it's called Wrestlemania Women's Battle Royal. Not sure why they can't just name it after someone else. I get them not going the Chyna route. But there's so many other options. Sheri, Richter?
    wrong thread bruh
    Yeah, the Smashing Pumpkins thread is thattaway!

Mentioned
    50 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by imail724 View Post
    Yeah, the Smashing Pumpkins thread is thattaway!
    If I wanted to talk about buying an obsolete, irrelevant wrestling promotion, absolutely haha.

Mentioned
    79 Post(s)

Mentioned
    31 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by thevoid99 View Post
    What the fucking fuck?
    Starfuckers Incorporated!

Mentioned
    96 Post(s)
    zzzzZZZZZZZ...

Mentioned
    79 Post(s)
    Well, whatever chance for a Trent-Manson reunion is pretty much dead and stay dead.

Mentioned
    65 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by thevoid99 View Post
    "acclaimed 2017 album ..."

hahaha.

Mentioned
    55 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by kel View Post
    "acclaimed 2017 album ..."

hahaha.
    It was liked by critics. Dont know why.

Mentioned
    55 Post(s)

Marilyn Manson

Do I think he is anti Semitic? No. Racist? No

Do I think its classless, yea. Guy still thinks he is controversial. But if its offending you, then its working. There is a difference between being Marilyn Manson and gathering with other insecure white men and burning tiki torches.

Its like saying Jeff Hanneman of slayer was a nazi supporter because alot of his lyrics dealt with nazi shit from ww2. That was because his dad or grandfather was
    in the war and brought home pieces and weapons from the german army.

Also, you said dude was a childhood hero. That right there just means you grew out of it and the music doesn’t speak to you anymore. Hell its doesnt speak to alot of us in here. Leave it for the kids of today. Some people my age throw nin in that category ( even though they are wrong.)
    Last edited by Conan The Barbarian; 03-25-2018 at 10:12 PM.

Mentioned
    23 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Conan The Barbarian View Post
    Its almost like people have different musical tastes and opinions

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Sesquipedalism View Post
    So, Manson's monochrome CMYK-style tattoo was on full display in that...bewildering and surprisingly uninteresting new video...which may or may not be an uninspired riff off of the video for "The Dope Show." Ahem. Sorry. Lot more to say than I'd originally thought, I guess.

I may have previously mentioned my disdain for that particular iconography, but I don't think I ever got a decent counterargument for why it's any more redeemable than I originally thought. Can anyone give me a good explanation of how his CMYK-era tattoo/symbol is anything other than a swastika for someone who's too "edgy" to not get a quasi-ironic swastika tattoo—which, it appears, is a thing—yet also too, uh, sensible(?), or not anti-semitic enough, or, I guess, not truly ballsy enough to get a full-on quasi-ironic swastika tattoo?

And if that multi-clause sentence was too messy to parse: Why are more people not talking about how this idiot has a not-very-thickly-veiled swastika tattoo smack in the middle of his chest? Did I miss a nuanced discussion of this sometime in the past few years?

Seriously. Dude was my goddamned hero for a good chunk of the nineties, a good chunk of my adolescence. I want to think he's still all there, still firing on at least most of his cylinders. But come the fuck on.
    This is ridiculous.

Mentioned
    28 Post(s)
    Seems strange to be a (past or present) Manson fan and take issue with him making use of fascist iconography. Do you really think he got a tattoo of a swastika made out of "M's" because he just really wanted a swastika and was too scared to get the standard one lol?

It doesn't seem tough to imagine a bigger than life rock star doing this sort of thing.

Mentioned
    36 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Conan The Barbarian View Post
    Critics also praised Depeche Modes latest when most DM fans consider it the worst album of their careers. Critics also praised Becks new album (sans pitchfork) and most Beck fans consider it by far his worst effort. It seems like a lot of critics just suck off legacy acts at this point

Mentioned
    19 Post(s)

Really he just aped Metallica.

Mentioned
    528 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Archive_Reports View Post

Really he just aped Metallica.
    yeah but that looks so...cool... wow can't even commit to that joke in text haha. what a dumb logo. there are so many ways to do interesting gemotrical shapes / mandalas without making them look even remotely like swastikas so i don't get why people keep doing shit like that other than to be ~edgy~

Mentioned
    251 Post(s)
    From what I remember the tattoo was designed by a fan who had done a lot of esoteric overanalysis about MM and it had the I Ching in it or something along those lines. They were big on swastikas as the double meaning of originating from a religious symbol and becoming a hateful representation of pure bigotry and violence. If you view it as that — something loved turned into something revolting — if fits the whole original concept of Marilyn Manson very well.

But really at the end of the day it is just another “look how controversial and smart I am because I can read the wikipedia page on swastikas”-type thing that Manson does all the time. It’s less offensive than it is stupid to me.

Mentioned
    96 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by kleiner352 View Post
    From what I remember the tattoo was designed by a fan who had done a lot of esoteric overanalysis about MM and it had the I Ching in it or something along those lines. They were big on swastikas as the double meaning of originating from a religious symbol and becoming a hateful representation of pure bigotry and violence. If you view it as that — something loved turned into something revolting — if fits the whole original concept of Marilyn Manson very well.

But really at the end of the day it is just another “look how controversial and smart I am because I can read the wikipedia page on swastikas”-type thing that Manson does all the time. It’s less offensive than it is stupid to me.
    This 100%. It's MM's bag to a T. Do something goofy, make sure you have a 'ooooh esoteric/spooky/clever!' explanation in the pocket just in case, but feel good knowing your fans will over analyze everything anyways.

Mentioned
    251 Post(s)
    Well, I got around to watching the Tattooed In Reverse video, and I'm starting to think he's getting laid in all of the videos for this album because there's no one left who will fuck him in real life

Mentioned
    49 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by eversonpoe View Post
    yeah but that looks so...cool... wow can't even commit to that joke in text haha. what a dumb logo. there are so many ways to do interesting gemotrical shapes / mandalas without making them look even remotely like swastikas so i don't get why people keep doing shit like that other than to be ~edgy~
    Hey i thought logo that was cool back in highschool!

Mentioned
    161 Post(s)
    Well, I got around to watching the Tattooed In Reverse video, and I'm starting to think he's getting laid in all of the videos for this album because there's no one left who will fuck him in real life
    A friend said he ripped the dancing arrangement concept from American Horror Story: Cult.

Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Yeah wow, that shit was cringeworthy. The middle finger every 2 seconds, the story/theme or lack of... Dude. Just. Stop.

Mentioned
    20 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Helpmeiaminhell View Post
    Critics also praised Depeche Modes latest when most DM fans consider it the worst album of their careers. Critics also praised Becks new album (sans pitchfork) and most Beck fans consider it by far his worst effort. It seems like a lot of critics just suck off legacy acts at this point
    My good friend and I are the biggest DM fans I know. We loved it. Soooooo

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Helpmeiaminhell View Post
    Most fans consider either A Broken Frame, Exciter or Sounds of the Universe to be DM's worst album (I'll go for the latter). Spirit is generally not very highly regarded, though.

I liked Colors, by the way.