Page 80 of 80 FirstFirst ... 30 70 78 79 80
Results 2,371 to 2,398 of 2398

Thread: Marilyn Manson

  1. #2371
    Join Date
    Jun 2018
    Location
    Misery State
    Posts
    166
    Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by sonic_discord View Post
    Most people seem to "cancel" the artist in question COMPLETELY (and often hastily and without confirmation of the accused's guilt in the matter). Michael Jackson is a good recent example, as many radio stations now refuse to play any of his music and his Simpsons episode has also been pulled from all streaming platforms in the wake of the Leaving Neverland documentary. If you choose to continue to enjoy their art, you almost have to do so in secret because most people will associate continued enjoyment of said artist's art as support of the kind of behavior they engaged in (or were accused of being engaged in). I guess it depends on the severity of the crime(s) in question and whether you can personally reconcile the two and separate the artist from the art. It's not always so black and white.
    I think another big element of it is "is pushing the issue going help ensure justice will be done?" In the case of somebody like, for example, R Kelly, public outcry is deeply necessary to ensuring victims receive justice. He's dodged punishment before and his fans are very obsessive and will defend him no matter how much evidence they are provided. This is an area in which "cancel culture" has actually done a lot of positive work. A lot of people had no idea the depths of his behavior until the past year, and that's because the public wouldn't let it be swept under the rug again.

    Then you have cases like Connor Oberst who was publicly tarred and feathered over an anonymous comment left on a blog. He was vindicated in court, his accuser recanted and admitted she lied. He showed a lot of restraint and humility during the process, but admits that it hurt his career and personal life.

    I think the best we can do is to be quick to believe women, quick to demand justice on their behalf but slow to administer that justice ourselves. Sometimes it becomes necessary, in R Kelly's case i'm not sure anything would have been done if social media fury hadn't been picking up steam over the years.

    Then there was the whole 4chan thread where alt-right shitheads discussed throwing out anonymous accusations against male celebrities that they thought were too liberal or friendly towards feminists in an effort to discredit celebrities who didn't share their views. There's something particularly vile about that mindset: "let's take malicious advantage of cancel culture to cancel celebrities who hate rape so that we can continue discrediting more rape victims because we don't actually believe rape is a big deal." Knowing that this is now a political weapon makes it more complicated.

    The truth is, when somebody commits a crime as dehumanizing as sexual assault, it has an effect that ripples outward and makes us all a little less human as a society. Either we become so detached from the accusation that we deny the humanity of victims, or we become so incensed and enraged that we deny our own humanity and potential to make mistakes in how we handle an accusation. This is why sexual assault is everyone's problem, and everyone holds responsibility in putting a stop to it as best as we can and ensuring victims receive justice.

    But how to do that effectively and wisely?
    I have no fucking idea.

    In the end when it relates to Manson, these two women have not named him. Maybe they will one day, maybe they will name someone else or no one at all. So perhaps it's unhelpful to speculate about it until then. I dunno. It's just heavy and it sucks and I hope they are getting whatever help they need to deal with their trauma, regardless of who is responsible.
    Last edited by eachpassingphase; 07-11-2019 at 08:35 AM.

  2. #2372
    Join Date
    Dec 2011
    Location
    Laughingstock of the World (America)
    Posts
    3,628
    Mentioned
    93 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by eachpassingphase View Post
    Where do you draw the line between enjoying art for its own merits, and being a thoughtful, conscious consumer and human being who doesn't want to give someone who is hateful any additional influence or money? I don't have a hard and fast answer for that
    I do: as soon as I see any credible evidence that the artist is a horrible piece of shit, they don't get any of my money. If I already own any of their merch, I'm not wearing it any more because I don't want to advertise for them. If I've already bought the music, I'm not going to stop listening to it in private - unless, that is, it suddenly becomes obvious that a song or a movie or whatever isn't so much fictitious as it is a window into sociopathic and felonious behavior.

    But here's a neat little tip: if you want to go the "boycott" route, you can still pick up used CDs if you feel a moral obligation to buy the music you like, but don't want to actually put any money in the creator's filthy hands.

  3. #2373
    Join Date
    Dec 2016
    Location
    here and there
    Posts
    649
    Mentioned
    17 Post(s)
    Nick Cave was asked that question about Morrissey recently and had an interesting response. He says he is able to separate the music from the artist themselves. So even if he doesn't like the artist personally or agree with their behavior, he doesn't let it interfere with how he feels about the music. His reason being that once the music is out in the public, it belongs to the listener as opposed to the artist. I guess thats what Michael Jackson fans do. I know plenty of girls who still love his music even though they agree the dude was fucked......I am totally different. I can't like an artists music if I know they are fuckheads. Its why I stopped listening to the Pumpkins a decade ago and never looked back. Its why I could care less about a new Tool record even though 2005 me would have been jacking off all over a new Tool record.

  4. #2374
    Join Date
    Jul 2017
    Location
    Mesa, AZ
    Posts
    241
    Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Helpmeiaminhell View Post
    Nick Cave was asked that question about Morrissey recently and had an interesting response. He says he is able to separate the music from the artist themselves. So even if he doesn't like the artist personally or agree with their behavior, he doesn't let it interfere with how he feels about the music. His reason being that once the music is out in the public, it belongs to the listener as opposed to the artist. I guess thats what Michael Jackson fans do. I know plenty of girls who still love his music even though they agree the dude was fucked......I am totally different. I can't like an artists music if I know they are fuckheads. Its why I stopped listening to the Pumpkins a decade ago and never looked back. Its why I could care less about a new Tool record even though 2005 me would have been jacking off all over a new Tool record.
    I love the Pumpkins and still listen. But I think thereís quite a difference in not supporting an artist because of their political views as opposed to not supporting an artist because they abused women physically, mentally and emotionally. As I stated earlier, I really hope itís not Manson. Love this discussion but I donít think your example is comparable. I still listen to Morrissey because I donít care about his political views. However, if it came out that any artist I loved or listened to abused women in any form, I just simply canít separate that from the art. And Iíd never listen to MJ because he was a creep. If someone plays Thriller during Halloween I wonít ask them to turn it off, but I sure wonít be listening to MJ on my own.


    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

  5. #2375
    Join Date
    Dec 2011
    Location
    Laughingstock of the World (America)
    Posts
    3,628
    Mentioned
    93 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Helpmeiaminhell View Post
    Nick Cave was asked that question about Morrissey recently and had an interesting response. He says he is able to separate the music from the artist themselves. So even if he doesn't like the artist personally or agree with their behavior, he doesn't let it interfere with how he feels about the music. His reason being that once the music is out in the public, it belongs to the listener as opposed to the artist. I guess thats what Michael Jackson fans do. I know plenty of girls who still love his music even though they agree the dude was fucked......I am totally different. I can't like an artists music if I know they are fuckheads. Its why I stopped listening to the Pumpkins a decade ago and never looked back. Its why I could care less about a new Tool record even though 2005 me would have been jacking off all over a new Tool record.
    Yeah, that's a total cop-out answer. Is he saying all art belongs to the public once it's released? Would he proudly hang up one of Hitler's paintings because he thought it looked pretty? If not, then his answer isn't about the art being public, it's about his personal definition of "how bad is too bad" when it comes to an artist's behavior, and he's saying that he's got a high tolerance.

    And I'm gonna drift a bit here and be a dick....couldn't care less. Sorry, that one just bugs me for some reason.

  6. #2376
    Join Date
    Nov 2011
    Location
    Canton, Ohio
    Posts
    847
    Mentioned
    11 Post(s)
    I've used this example before, and it still holds true: I used to be a Lostprophets fan. All the way up until the details of his seriously awful behavior that got him jailed. I thought to myself, initially, that, "oh, well, i'm not going to buy any of their shit anymore, but, i still like the music so i'll probably still listen." Only... i didn't listen. It wasn't even a conscious choice. I'd be scrolling through my music library, i'd see their stuff come up, and think sure, i'll put that on. But i'd hesitate. I'd sit, and i'd look at it, and then i'd skip it. No conscious thought, just a skip. It's been years now and i still don't listen. Some people are just so truly awful that it doesn't matter how good their art was. What they've done creeps into your psyche and you just can't stomach to hear them sing or speak or whatever anymore. I feel like that kind of decision is personal for each individual, but when a musician becomes a monster, that crosses my lines.

  7. #2377
    Join Date
    Jul 2017
    Location
    Mesa, AZ
    Posts
    241
    Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Demogorgon View Post
    I've used this example before, and it still holds true: I used to be a Lostprophets fan. All the way up until the details of his seriously awful behavior that got him jailed. I thought to myself, initially, that, "oh, well, i'm not going to buy any of their shit anymore, but, i still like the music so i'll probably still listen." Only... i didn't listen. It wasn't even a conscious choice. I'd be scrolling through my music library, i'd see their stuff come up, and think sure, i'll put that on. But i'd hesitate. I'd sit, and i'd look at it, and then i'd skip it. No conscious thought, just a skip. It's been years now and i still don't listen. Some people are just so truly awful that it doesn't matter how good their art was. What they've done creeps into your psyche and you just can't stomach to hear them sing or speak or whatever anymore. I feel like that kind of decision is personal for each individual, but when a musician becomes a monster, that crosses my lines.
    Perfectly stated.


    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

  8. #2378
    Join Date
    Dec 2011
    Location
    Vancouver BC
    Posts
    6,795
    Mentioned
    78 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Demogorgon View Post
    I've used this example before, and it still holds true: I used to be a Lostprophets fan. All the way up until the details of his seriously awful behavior that got him jailed. I thought to myself, initially, that, "oh, well, i'm not going to buy any of their shit anymore, but, i still like the music so i'll probably still listen." Only... i didn't listen. It wasn't even a conscious choice. I'd be scrolling through my music library, i'd see their stuff come up, and think sure, i'll put that on. But i'd hesitate. I'd sit, and i'd look at it, and then i'd skip it. No conscious thought, just a skip. It's been years now and i still don't listen. Some people are just so truly awful that it doesn't matter how good their art was. What they've done creeps into your psyche and you just can't stomach to hear them sing or speak or whatever anymore. I feel like that kind of decision is personal for each individual, but when a musician becomes a monster, that crosses my lines.
    Agreed. In the age of hyperspeed social media I've noticed that people like you here (and me) have sort of become the target of the 'how dare you?' crowd. Personally, I'm of the age and mindset that I don't give a shit what anyone does in the situation, but it's almost flipped and become the taboo to be on the side of 'nope, can't do it anymore.' Well, I'm with you...there's so much content out there these days, be it music, shows, movies, you name it...that if someone I really enjoy turns out being a giant pile of garbage? Oh well... fuck them forever!

  9. #2379
    Join Date
    Dec 2011
    Posts
    447
    Mentioned
    15 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by theimage13 View Post
    Yeah, that's a total cop-out answer. Is he saying all art belongs to the public once it's released? Would he proudly hang up one of Hitler's paintings because he thought it looked pretty? If not, then his answer isn't about the art being public, it's about his personal definition of "how bad is too bad" when it comes to an artist's behavior, and he's saying that he's got a high tolerance.
    I listen to and genuinely enjoy Look at Your Game, Girl by Charles Manson. It's a good song, and I enjoy it because it's good. The fact that the guy who wrote it was pure evil doesn't affect my enjoyment of it at all. I would happily listen to it publicly and not feel ashamed that I like it. Some people look at things differently than you do, and may mean exactly what they say when they say that they separate the art from the artist.

  10. #2380
    Join Date
    Apr 2012
    Posts
    355
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Demogorgon View Post
    I've used this example before, and it still holds true: I used to be a Lostprophets fan. All the way up until the details of his seriously awful behavior that got him jailed. I thought to myself, initially, that, "oh, well, i'm not going to buy any of their shit anymore, but, i still like the music so i'll probably still listen." Only... i didn't listen. It wasn't even a conscious choice. I'd be scrolling through my music library, i'd see their stuff come up, and think sure, i'll put that on. But i'd hesitate. I'd sit, and i'd look at it, and then i'd skip it. No conscious thought, just a skip. It's been years now and i still don't listen. Some people are just so truly awful that it doesn't matter how good their art was. What they've done creeps into your psyche and you just can't stomach to hear them sing or speak or whatever anymore. I feel like that kind of decision is personal for each individual, but when a musician becomes a monster, that crosses my lines.
    I mostly side with separating the art from the creator unless it's extreme circumstances. I've never listened to Lost Prophets but jesus fucking christ how could ANYONE after knowing that story. Those extreme type of situations are unforgivable and that art should be wiped from existence.

  11. #2381
    Join Date
    Dec 2011
    Location
    Laughingstock of the World (America)
    Posts
    3,628
    Mentioned
    93 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by rampface View Post
    I mostly side with separating the art from the creator unless it's extreme circumstances. I've never listened to Lost Prophets but jesus fucking christ how could ANYONE after knowing that story. Those extreme type of situations are unforgivable and that art should be wiped from existence.
    I have no idea what anyone is talking about with LP (never even fucking heard of them), but I assume you'd lump "art created by serial killers" into the extreme circumstances category, yes?

    Quote Originally Posted by zecho View Post
    I listen to and genuinely enjoy Look at Your Game, Girl by Charles Manson. It's a good song, and I enjoy it because it's good. The fact that the guy who wrote it was pure evil doesn't affect my enjoyment of it at all. I would happily listen to it publicly and not feel ashamed that I like it. Some people look at things differently than you do, and may mean exactly what they say when they say that they separate the art from the artist.
    I guess I can't do that as easily. If somebody wronged me personally (and I mean raped me or something, not just called me a doody head), I would never want anything to do with them ever again, and that includes consuming anything they created. I extend that same attitude towards people who have wronged someone else in the same manner.
    Last edited by theimage13; 07-12-2019 at 08:09 AM.

  12. #2382
    Join Date
    Jun 2013
    Location
    MI
    Posts
    816
    Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by theimage13 View Post
    I have no idea what anyone is talking about with LP (never even fucking heard of them), but I assume you'd lump "art created by serial killers" into the extreme circumstances category, yes?
    https://www.bbc.com/news/uk-wales-25108439 A guy who literally raped children.

    I do think this is interesting to talk about the value of art, even if by a serial killer - since the whole history of MM was basically created from the juxtaposition of society's fascination with both celebrities and killers.
    Last edited by halo eighteen; 07-12-2019 at 08:13 AM.

  13. #2383
    Join Date
    Mar 2013
    Location
    Republic of Texas
    Posts
    6,291
    Mentioned
    445 Post(s)
    This is an interesting subject. Byron committed incest. Flaubert apparently had sex with underage male prostitutes. Lovecraft, Eliot, Wagner: all racists. But society has forgiven them, to a degree, I guess?
    as I've mentioned before, Peter Steele tried to get my sixteen year old girlfriend backstage with him, after people tried bringing her drinks "from the band." I didn't even think about her age at the time so much as that she was my girlfriend, and, that story is more fucked up now that I'm older. I still listen to Type O. And what about Bowie and Jimmy Page?

    In some cases I can separate the art from the artist, I guess.

    Edit: @theimage13 , the singer of Lostprophets raped an actual baby, among other things, so, yeah, it's an extreme example :/ that's certainly a case where I CAN'T make the separation.
    Last edited by elevenism; 07-12-2019 at 02:57 PM.

  14. #2384
    Join Date
    Dec 2011
    Location
    UK
    Posts
    3,295
    Mentioned
    38 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by theimage13 View Post
    I have no idea what anyone is talking about with LP (never even fucking heard of them), but I assume you'd lump "art created by serial killers" into the extreme circumstances category, yes?



    I guess I can't do that as easily. If somebody wronged me personally (and I mean raped me or something, not just called me a doody head), I would never want anything to do with them ever again, and that includes consuming anything they created. I extend that same attitude towards people who have wronged someone else in the same manner.
    Ilan Rubin was the drummer for Lost Prophets before he got the NIN gig. They gave him a funny leaving letter made up of NIN lyrics

  15. #2385
    Join Date
    Dec 2011
    Location
    UK
    Posts
    3,295
    Mentioned
    38 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by elevenism View Post
    So Manson gonna appear in a miniseries adaptation of The Stand, by Stephen King.

    https://comicbook.com/horror/2019/07...-stephen-king/

    People are thinking he might play Randall Flagg/The Man in Black.

    I wonder if he could pull that off.
    Was just talking about this with my husband who is a big Stephen King fan and was aghast at the possibility of MM being Flagg. He suggested he could play a character from the book called Rat Man (who was black in the book) who dressed as a pirate and was considered too creepy to sleep with by the woman who shagged Flagg. Possibility? I donít think the character was included in the previous mini series


    Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

  16. #2386
    Join Date
    Mar 2013
    Location
    Republic of Texas
    Posts
    6,291
    Mentioned
    445 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by WorzelG View Post
    Was just talking about this with my husband who is a big Stephen King fan and was aghast at the possibility of MM being Flagg. He suggested he could play a character from the book called Rat Man (who was black in the book) who dressed as a pirate and was considered too creepy to sleep with by the woman who shagged Flagg. Possibility? I don’t think the character was included in the previous mini series


    Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
    Rat Man was actually in the miniseries i think.

    There are a a LOT of characters in that book- around thirty with names if i remember correctly. Maybe MM plays a small role. Also, maybe they are going to do something interesting and cast against his perceived type. OR, hell, idk- Maybe he plays The Man in Black and turns in a great performance.
    Stranger things have happened.
    But, it would have made more sense 20 years ago, you know?

  17. #2387
    Join Date
    Dec 2011
    Location
    Belarus
    Posts
    2,873
    Mentioned
    35 Post(s)
    Manson's acting is terrible so the smaller the role - the better.

  18. #2388
    Join Date
    Dec 2011
    Location
    Laughingstock of the World (America)
    Posts
    3,628
    Mentioned
    93 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by fillow View Post
    Manson's acting is terrible so the smaller the role - the better.
    I have no idea what you're talking about.


  19. #2389
    Join Date
    Dec 2011
    Location
    North Carolina
    Posts
    9,226
    Mentioned
    137 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by theimage13 View Post
    I have no idea what you're talking about.

    I liked him on Tim and Eric haha.

  20. #2390
    Join Date
    Sep 2013
    Location
    One great big festering neon distraction....
    Posts
    94
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)


    Brian's best acting performance.

  21. #2391
    Join Date
    Nov 2011
    Location
    Indiana
    Posts
    2,797
    Mentioned
    41 Post(s)
    I'll add this to the list.


  22. #2392
    Join Date
    Dec 2016
    Location
    Calgary
    Posts
    968
    Mentioned
    11 Post(s)


    Encoding my MM CDs; Portrait -> Eat Me...Drink Me

    So many CD-singles... so many...

  23. #2393
    Join Date
    Jun 2013
    Location
    MI
    Posts
    816
    Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Billboard is acknowledging Portrait of an American Family's 25th birthday.

    https://www.billboard.com/articles/c...ly-anniversary

  24. #2394
    Join Date
    Nov 2011
    Location
    LI, NY
    Posts
    2,112
    Mentioned
    20 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by halo eighteen View Post
    Billboard is acknowledging Portrait of an American Family's 25th birthday.

    https://www.billboard.com/articles/c...ly-anniversary
    Cool! Would be nice if we got a 25th anniversary repress on vinyl, but I'm not holding my breath.

  25. #2395
    Join Date
    May 2012
    Location
    SF, SD
    Posts
    1,728
    Mentioned
    29 Post(s)
    Yeah that would be nice, I have a hot topic repress from a few years back.

  26. #2396
    Join Date
    Dec 2011
    Posts
    6,327
    Mentioned
    47 Post(s)
    Can't even remember the last time I listened to that. Maybe I'll give that a spin tomorrow.

  27. #2397
    Join Date
    Dec 2011
    Location
    Laughingstock of the World (America)
    Posts
    3,628
    Mentioned
    93 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by halo eighteen View Post
    Billboard is acknowledging Portrait of an American Family's 25th birthday.

    https://www.billboard.com/articles/c...ly-anniversary
    How weird is that. Randomly put that album on at the gym yesterday. Had no idea it was the 25th birthday.

    Also found myself wishing for a remastered release. Doubt it would ever happen though.

  28. #2398
    Join Date
    Feb 2014
    Location
    San Francisco
    Posts
    678
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    A nicely done and comprehensive reissue of the spooky kids tapes would be more interesting, there's some fun stuff on these.

Tags for this Thread

Posting Permissions