Page 114 of 114 FirstFirst ... 14 64 104 112 113 114
Results 3,391 to 3,406 of 3406

Thread: Marilyn Manson

  1. #3391
    Join Date
    Dec 2011
    Posts
    1,167
    Mentioned
    43 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Einzige View Post
    The production on Born Villain is even worse, but the writing is mostly better [than High End of Low]
    I'm not sure how in the world you could make this claim. Writing of instrumentals in that it's all much less complicated and layered? Writing of lyrics in that you prefer them?

    Quote Originally Posted by Einzige View Post
    On the main space-time drag Manson released a heavily electronic 'Celebritarian'-themed record circa 2005, refrained from cheating on his wife, and retained (most of) his personal and artistic dignity before dying in a bus accident outside Ontario, Canada.
    That is very specific.

  2. #3392
    Join Date
    Oct 2012
    Location
    St. Louis, MO
    Posts
    2,059
    Mentioned
    20 Post(s)
    I always thought Marilyn Manson was okay. Like any Nine Inch Nails fan growing up, you're almost kind of accustomed to check out Manson's work in some form or fashion because of the connection to Trent ... but I never really got into his stuff. Out of everything, I know I like Mechanical Animals the best and have listened to Family, Holy Wood and Superstar from time to time. Honestly, if I think about it—I probably have listened to Lest We Forget the most out of anything he's released.

    Anywho, this talk of a new album made me realize I haven't kept up with anything since Grotesque. Thought I'd catch up over the weekend and listen to GAOG for the first time in nearly 20 years and I had to turn it off after the fifth or sixth song. God damn is that album ass. Everything is so obvious, about face and for someone who is as into "art" as he is—it's just overly sleek sounding radio industrial butt rock.

    Does anything get better post-GAOG? I feel like Pale Emperor is probably more up my alley based on my tastes, but based on some comments here ... seems like a lost cause.
    Last edited by thefragile_jake; 08-05-2020 at 02:15 PM.

  3. #3393
    Join Date
    Nov 2011
    Location
    LI, NY
    Posts
    2,476
    Mentioned
    24 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by thefragile_jake View Post
    I always thought Marilyn Manson was okay. Like any Nine Inch Nails fan growing up, you're almost kind of accustomed to check out Manson's work in some form or fashion because of the connection to Trent ... but I never really got into his stuff. Out of everything, I know I like Mechanical Animals the best and have listened to Family, Holy Wood and Superstar from time to time. Honestly, if I think about it—I probably have listened to Lest We Forget the most out of anything he's released.

    Anywho, this talk of a new album made me realize I haven't kept up with anything since Grotesque. Thought I'd catch up over the weekend and listen to GAOG for the first time in nearly 20 years and I had to turn it off after the fifth or sixth song. God damn is that album ass. Everything is so obvious, about face and for someone who is as into "art" as he is—it's just overly sleek, sounding radio industrial butt rock.

    Does anything get better post-GAOG? I feel like Pale Emperor is probably more up my alley based on my tastes, but based on some comments here ... seems like a lost cause.
    Definitely give The Pale Emperor a shot. After that you've heard everything that'sreally ​worth hearing.

  4. #3394
    Join Date
    Dec 2011
    Location
    A place both wonderful and strange
    Posts
    2,356
    Mentioned
    64 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Shadaloo View Post
    I gotta see if I can extract the uncensored bit from the lo-fi version of Blank And White that's out there and splice it into a flac for optimal quality or something.
    So a certain someone hereabouts was kind enough to point me towards the myspace grab that's been floating around out there forever - thank you!

    I finally went ahead and did this since I had an afternoon to spare. For my first time putzing around with an actual song in Audacity, I think it went pretty damn well...dare I say, nearly perfect.

    I exported a flac of my album rip to WAV, isolated the censoring sound effect over the "kill the president" line, removed it with a 1db loss, layered only the uncensored segment from the mp3 over, mixed the whole thing down to WAV, then to flac.

    If anyone is interested, PM me. Don''t think it's against the rules since it counts as a fan mix? *cough*

    This should be the most non-potato sounding quality uncensored version available unless someone can get ahold of the promo which apparently has it unmolested

  5. #3395
    Join Date
    Dec 2011
    Posts
    1,167
    Mentioned
    43 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by thefragile_jake View Post
    Does anything get better post-GAOG? I feel like Pale Emperor is probably more up my alley based on my tastes, but based on some comments here ... seems like a lost cause.
    Ha! What a loaded question for this room. It's literally a topic of perpetual argument. But coming from outside the fandom, I think you might find some surprises. Pale Emperor, definitely. But the contentious pick that I think a relative layperson might be into is Eat Me, Drink Me. It's consistently the most hated album by fans and I think that fact has less to do with the LP itself and more to do with the expectations of the fandom. It's a more traditional rock record than it is Manson doing his schtick; actually, I'd say it's more like a Skold solo project with Manson on vocals. As long as you're not beholden to the Manson Cult of Personality, it's delightful and fun. Although the opening track is a little more on-the-nose-goth than is healthy. "Putting Holes in Happiness" through "Evidence" is pretty excellent rock, and the title track is wonderfully cinematic.

  6. #3396
    Join Date
    Jan 2017
    Posts
    566
    Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by thefragile_jake View Post
    I always thought Marilyn Manson was okay. Like any Nine Inch Nails fan growing up, you're almost kind of accustomed to check out Manson's work in some form or fashion because of the connection to Trent ... but I never really got into his stuff. Out of everything, I know I like Mechanical Animals the best and have listened to Family, Holy Wood and Superstar from time to time. Honestly, if I think about it—I probably have listened to Lest We Forget the most out of anything he's released.

    Anywho, this talk of a new album made me realize I haven't kept up with anything since Grotesque. Thought I'd catch up over the weekend and listen to GAOG for the first time in nearly 20 years and I had to turn it off after the fifth or sixth song. God damn is that album ass. Everything is so obvious, about face and for someone who is as into "art" as he is—it's just overly sleek sounding radio industrial butt rock.

    Does anything get better post-GAOG? I feel like Pale Emperor is probably more up my alley based on my tastes, but based on some comments here ... seems like a lost cause.
    Ignoring Pale Emperor Golden Age Of Grotesque is one of his "better" albums post Holy Wood, hell, if you ignore Pale Emperor it's probably the best one...





    Check out Pale Emperor indeed, amazing album, dunno how it happened.

  7. #3397
    Join Date
    May 2018
    Posts
    260
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    I have no idea how I would rank Manson's albums, but I'm in the minority that likes EMDM and Born Villain even though they're not amazing. They're good for what they are, whereas I could never get into HEOL.

  8. #3398
    Join Date
    Dec 2016
    Location
    here and there
    Posts
    919
    Mentioned
    23 Post(s)
    "Sleek sounding radio industrial butt rock" is the best description I have heard of TGAOG...I always felt that was a boring mainstream Manson party album. Seemed like he was trying to recreate "Fight Song" on every track on that record
    Last edited by Helpmeiaminhell; Yesterday at 08:24 PM.

  9. #3399
    Join Date
    Aug 2017
    Location
    Rio de Janeiro
    Posts
    61
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Helpmeiaminhell View Post
    "Sleek sounding radio industrial butt rock" is the best description I have heard of TGAOG...I always felt that was a boring mainstream Manson party album. Seemed like he was trying to recreate "Fight Song" on every track on that record

    The vocals and guitars from TGAOG are the thin line that: without it would be a nice electronic album that I would love to hear in some european club at 2:30AM, but with it sounds like one of those average bands trying to emulate Marilyn Manson music.

  10. #3400
    Join Date
    Dec 2011
    Location
    Los Angeles
    Posts
    7,112
    Mentioned
    414 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Triggermine View Post
    the problems with that album aren’t in production, it’s just dull songwriting

  11. #3401
    Join Date
    Dec 2011
    Location
    North Carolina
    Posts
    9,791
    Mentioned
    146 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Jinsai View Post
    the problems with that album aren’t in production, it’s just dull songwriting
    Yeah, for having two such awesome musicians it falls dangerously flat. A real shame.

  12. #3402
    Join Date
    Dec 2011
    Posts
    1,167
    Mentioned
    43 Post(s)
    I don't know if anyone caught Anthony Fantano's (theneedledrop) review of the track from last Sunday's video. I actually quite enjoy him as a reviewer. If I recall his story correctly, he's actually a longtime fan who was about as disenchanted with post-Holy Wood as most old school heads have been. He gave Born Villain a 3/10, Pale Emperor a 6/10, and Heaven a 5/10, for context, and says a lot of positive things in the full-length review of each LP. But he sure didn't feel "We Are Chaos," and the less than five seconds it got in a nineteen-minute video made me chuckle.

    "We have this new Marilyn Manson track, 'We Are Chaos'—which does not sound all that chaotic. It actually just kinda sounds like Marilyn Manson embracing some overblown, like, mid- to late-2000s-era indie rock aesthetics. I have no clue why. It does not fit him or complement him at all. Let's keep this moving."

  13. #3403
    Join Date
    Dec 2011
    Posts
    1,167
    Mentioned
    43 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Helpmeiaminhell View Post
    "Sleek sounding radio industrial butt rock" is the best description I have heard of TGAOG...I always felt that was a boring mainstream Manson party album. Seemed like he was trying to recreate "Fight Song" on every track on that record
    Quote Originally Posted by firewlker View Post
    The vocals and guitars from TGAOG are the thin line that: without it would be a nice electronic album that I would love to hear in some european club at 2:30AM, but with it sounds like one of those average bands trying to emulate Marilyn Manson music.
    I never got even the slightest whiff of "industrial" off of the record. "Sleek," sure. Sterile. Not particularly dynamic. And anything after "Para-Noir" sounds like generic low-grade radio rock, to my ears. It felt—with the exception of maybe "This Is the New Shit" and "Doll-Dagga"—very much like a middling KMFDM record to me from the get, which made me feel quite clever when I later read the liner notes and discovered Tim Sköld was involved. Which is weird, because Sköld's 1995 solo record was a favorite of mine growing up and sounded much more dynamic and Eat Me doesn't feel similar at all, and by then the band was just the two of them.

    I think my biggest gripe is the guitar tone of the whole thing. Which I say like someone who knows what he's talking about, but I don't. I just feel like most of the record sounded a bit thin and hollow. Brittle.

    As a side note, the moment I first felt ashamed of being a Manson fan was when my roommate came in and found me watching Doppelherz. He was like, "what is this shit?" And I had a real hard time formulating a defense. I think I eventually settled on "It was an artistic experiment and I guess he failed."

  14. #3404
    Join Date
    Dec 2011
    Posts
    168
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Sesquipedalism View Post
    Ha! What a loaded question for this room. It's literally a topic of perpetual argument. But coming from outside the fandom, I think you might find some surprises. Pale Emperor, definitely. But the contentious pick that I think a relative layperson might be into is Eat Me, Drink Me. It's consistently the most hated album by fans and I think that fact has less to do with the LP itself and more to do with the expectations of the fandom. It's a more traditional rock record than it is Manson doing his schtick; actually, I'd say it's more like a Skold solo project with Manson on vocals. As long as you're not beholden to the Manson Cult of Personality, it's delightful and fun. Although the opening track is a little more on-the-nose-goth than is healthy. "Putting Holes in Happiness" through "Evidence" is pretty excellent rock, and the title track is wonderfully cinematic.
    A person on the internet I agree with? That's so weird.

  15. #3405
    Join Date
    Nov 2011
    Location
    Vancouver, BC
    Posts
    3,845
    Mentioned
    126 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Sesquipedalism View Post
    I don't know if anyone caught Anthony Fantano's (theneedledrop) review of the track from last Sunday's video. I actually quite enjoy him as a reviewer. If I recall his story correctly, he's actually a longtime fan who was about as disenchanted with post-Holy Wood as most old school heads have been. He gave Born Villain a 3/10, Pale Emperor a 6/10, and Heaven a 5/10, for context, and says a lot of positive things in the full-length review of each LP. But he sure didn't feel "We Are Chaos," and the less than five seconds it got in a nineteen-minute video made me chuckle.

    "We have this new Marilyn Manson track, 'We Are Chaos'—which does not sound all that chaotic. It actually just kinda sounds like Marilyn Manson embracing some overblown, like, mid- to late-2000s-era indie rock aesthetics. I have no clue why. It does not fit him or complement him at all. Let's keep this moving."
    Yeah, I was disappointed with his "review". I was really looking forward to his thoughts on that song, and he spent less than 30 seconds saying anything about it. *shrugs*
    Hopefully he gives the album more time in the spotlight than he did the single.

  16. #3406
    Join Date
    Dec 2011
    Posts
    1,167
    Mentioned
    43 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by ManBurning View Post
    Yeah, I was disappointed with his "review". I was really looking forward to his thoughts on that song, and he spent less than 30 seconds saying anything about it. *shrugs*
    Hopefully he gives the album more time in the spotlight than he did the single.
    I'm sure he'll give the LP a full-length. Even though his viewership has never exactly been clamoring for Manson, he's done full reviews since he got established. I was pretty amused when I saw what he'd said because, to be honest, by the time I saw he'd commented, I'd straight up forgotten there even was a new track. Guess I was right, at least as far as my own brain was concerned, about this one lacking any real sticking power.

    Man, I remember when "Dope Show" dropped and I was a little pissed that it didn't even really sound like Manson. Then I was kind of intrigued by whatever the hell kind of glossy beast it seemed to be. And within the space of a week, I couldn't stop playing it. I'd recorded it off of a radio play and spliced it into mixtapes—same shit I did for "Sweet Dreams" and "Beautiful People." I know it would be naïve to expect a band of their age to have an affect on me, at my age, the way they did when they were young and hungry and I was a teen, but...geez. Those were lead singles.

Tags for this Thread

Posting Permissions