Page 1 of 135 1 2 3 11 51 101 ... LastLast

Thread: Marilyn Manson

Mentioned
    28 Post(s)

Marilyn Manson

Well, there's a new clip to promote the SAY10 album out. It's been 8 months since the Manson thread was closed. I think we can all act like adults and stay on topic.

Marilyn Manson’s Shocking Trump Video

“As an artist my duty is to ask the questions. The viewer must answer them.”

That is how Marilyn Manson, ever the provocateur, describes the incredibly graphic new music video for “SAY10,” the title track off his upcoming tenth studio album due sometime this year. The video, directed and conceptualized by Tyler Shields, depicts a besuited Manson seated on his throne in a caliginous, smoky room. “Cash is the poor man’s money,” he sings, before tearing out pages of The Bible, and, in a lightning-fast montage: beheading a blond man in a dark suit and red power tie who resembles Donald Trump.

You can watch the NSFW clip here.

While the bloodied, small-handed corpse certainly resembles Trump, and the act of beheading perhaps a commentary of sorts on the Republican presidential candidate’s attitude towards Islamic terrorists, Manson, speaking on the eve of the election, says that the work is open to varying interpretations.

“Either way tomorrow goes, the visuals are meant to create contemplation. Because it’s obviously bigger than just tomorrow,” he says. “It’s about the desperate acts of people who believe something that is preached by an unbeliever.”

“Right now we’re in such a state of confusion when it comes to religion, politics, sexuality, and how they all tie together, and it’s being turned into a circus and a sideshow—and that’s something that I’ve been described as a ringleader of,” Manson continues. “It seems like a time for me as an artist, and as an American artist, to make something that causes a new set of questions to arise that aren’t simply statements.”

Manson has had a famously contentious relationship with the American right—one that began when conservative outlets like Fox News irresponsibly tied him to the 1999 Columbine massacre, (falsely) alleging his music inspired the shooters, and culminating in an on-air showdown wherein the heavily makeuped shock rocker thoroughly embarrassed Bill O’Reilly. As far as his political allegiances go, Manson told me earlier this year that he will not be casting a vote in the upcoming election, refusing to choose between “cat shit and dog shit.”

“I don’t think that, as an artist, I can make as much of a difference voting as I can the commentaries I make in music on my next record, Say10,” he explained.

Well, now that commentary is here—and it is something.

I'm not especially impressed by the music or video tbh. Here's a screengrab I took though, it was only there for 2 frames. Should stir up some publicity though.

Mentioned
    161 Post(s)
    The video is pretty much standard shock material just to shock. It doesn't provoke any feeling from me however I really enjoyed what I heard there, surprisingly!

Mentioned
    32 Post(s)
    The temptation is to think "well in this day and age, is what he does that provocative anymore?", but to be honest would this even have been that shocking back in 1997. Maybe it would. I feel like it would be more daring to offend both sides. Despite what people say, the right wing are still the most easily offended. The slightest whiff of liberalism or leftism and most of the ones I know can't tolerate you anymore. It's a bit shooting fish

What happened to the announcement about an acss reissue? I thought he said October 20th

Mentioned
    33 Post(s)
    First off, thank you for finally bringing this thread back. Now that a certain member is gone, I don't think we will have too many issues with keeping discussion civil and on topic.

That being said, I really, really liked the sound of that clip. It sounds nothing like The Pale Emperor, which I loved, so it is nice to know he can go in a different direction from that and still stay on a positive path. Anyone else sort of get a Reznor-esque vibe from the production? And I don't mean it sounds like ACSS, I mean it sort of sounds like something Trent would produce today...

Mentioned
    96 Post(s)
    The music and vocal delivery bears strong resemblance to TGAOG (Better of Two Evils). Or is it just me?
    Last edited by fillow; 11-08-2016 at 12:07 PM.

Mentioned
    32 Post(s)
    Yeah the electronic drums and ambience give it that sort of feel. (Reznorish)

I am consistently baffled by the fact manson has never done an electronic album, always guitars bass drums. Mechanical animals verges on it but remained firmly rooted in rock territory

With manson so much of it is theatrics and I feel electronic stuff has a greater scope for soundscapes and atmosphere, which seems a more logical fit for his persona

Mentioned
    82 Post(s)
    Sounds pretty good.

Mentioned
    528 Post(s)
    don't really care about the visuals, but the music was good, and i'm excited for the album!

Mentioned
    22 Post(s)
    Yeah the visuals are lame, but I love the sound. I can't wait to hear the whole thing

Mentioned
    168 Post(s)
    The inevitable return of the thread, lol

I agree that the visuals are "meh" (which is a shame because this guy used to have awesome videos!), but the music is good.
    I hope he stays in the good path "The Pale Emperor" was great, and with the correct people in his band, he can go.

Mentioned
    84 Post(s)
    Sign me the fuck up for an album that sounds like that. Love what I'm hearing. Can't help but see the video as something of a ploy for attention, but whatever.

And thanks for bringing the thread back.

Mentioned
    75 Post(s)
    Holy hell I had to double check that- 3 months, not 8. Thought I was losing my mind. :P

Pretty good music!

Mentioned
    280 Post(s)
    Sounds much more interesting than the pale emperor.

Mentioned
    251 Post(s)
    I can't be the only person who found this pretty boring, right? Feels very cliche Manson to me. I really dug TPE and hope I end up being wrong but that didn't inspire a whole lot of hope in me for this album (the name alone just makes me cringe).

Mentioned
    28 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by kleiner352 View Post
    I can't be the only person who found this pretty boring, right? Feels very cliche Manson to me. I really dug TPE and hope I end up being wrong but that didn't inspire a whole lot of hope in me for this album (the name alone just makes me cringe).
    I thought the first part was somewhat intriguing, at least. The chorus was boring generic Manson song imo. But it's only 1m of one song, so I'll reserve judgment for now.

Mentioned
    49 Post(s)
    Home at last. I think I lost over 75+ posts when that garbage thread was canned.

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by imail724 View Post
    Anyone else sort of get a Reznor-esque vibe from the production? And I don't mean it sounds like ACSS, I mean it sort of sounds like something Trent would produce today...
    definitely, the layered piano and all the effects gave me that feeling instantly.

Mentioned
    55 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by imail724 View Post
    First off, thank you for finally bringing this thread back. Now that a certain member is gone, I don't think we will have too many issues with keeping discussion civil and on topic.

That being said, I really, really liked the sound of that clip. It sounds nothing like The Pale Emperor, which I loved, so it is nice to know he can go in a different direction from that and still stay on a positive path. Anyone else sort of get a Reznor-esque vibe from the production? And I don't mean it sounds like ACSS, I mean it sort of sounds like something Trent would produce today...
    Wait who is gone?

I cant form an opinion based on a clip. I do hope that this will be a more straight, "smarter" manson.

Mentioned
    13 Post(s)
    Cool song.

Mentioned
    75 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Conan The Barbarian View Post
    Wait who is gone?
    [IMG][/IMG]

Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    The song sounds cool. Couldn't care less about the video.

Fingers crossed.

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Yes, thank you for bringing this thread back! It was my daily guilty pleasure when I was (still am) waiting for something new to happen on the ninternet (other than goddamn soundtracks). Love the music, hope this MM album is a little more electronic.

On a side note, Manson's fingernails are dirty like that in real life, I met him at a meet and greet in 2012. I hope it's just face makeup under there and not built up filth - apparently he doesn't like taking showers very often - although he didn't stink when I met him, and he got in quite close for a photo. Never ask him to sign his name Brian Warner - I thought he could sign my Mechanical Animals cd beside Twiggy's "Jeordie White" from a NIN meet and greet back in 2005. Manson said "Absolutely not, but thanks for asking politely...Hey Lindsay, check this out, Twiggy signed this as Jeordie White, Lindsay!....Lindsayyyyy!" He signed it Marilyn Manson. Pretty cool experience, very poor concert performance.

Mentioned
    55 Post(s)
    Thats kinda odd that Twiggy signed a manson product with his real name. I heard reports of when he was nin he would sign Manson things under Twiggy.

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Conan The Barbarian View Post
    Thats kinda odd that Twiggy signed a manson product with his real name. I heard reports of when he was nin he would sign Manson things under Twiggy.
    It was really disappointing actually, I heard afterwards from the other Spiral fans that he signed as Twiggy by request. At least Trent didn't sign my With Teeth cd as "Mike Reznor"!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    While the video is standard fare garbage, I'm not sure what to think about the song. The music sounds pretty cool, but I've grown tired of the Manson whisper vocal delivery.

Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    At the time Twiggy was probably in a phase where he wanted to move on from the Manson stuff. It's understandable. He had to do his own thing for a while to get over it. He went by his name Jeordie White while in APC and NIN.

I love the sound of this new song and the video is great. Looking forward to the record.

Mentioned
    161 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by NYRexall View Post
    I'll buy Say10 when it's released. Manson almost never disappoints me on record. Live, eh...that's a different story..
    Same.

I think this one will be good. Reminds me of Golden Age of Grotesque mixed with Born Villain.

Mentioned
    32 Post(s)
    I find since holy wood I tend to be pleasantly surprised by his albums and listen to them a lot around the time of release, and then basically never listen to them again

Mentioned
    82 Post(s)
    Manson's albums ranked. Good list.

http://teamrock.com/feature/2016-11-...ked-worst-best

Mentioned
    84 Post(s)
    In no reality does Portrait belong under EMDM or THEOL.

I find a lot to love about albums that I initially despise, and I've come around a little on THEOL's weaker moments. But EMDM remains crap to my ears whenever I try.

Holy Wood's number 3 in my book, but it isn't often I see folks call it his very best. Usually a tossup between MA or ACSS, either of which I'd agree with depending on the day of the week.