Page 134 of 135 FirstFirst ... 34 84 124 132 133 134 135 LastLast
Results 3,991 to 4,020 of 4043

Thread: Marilyn Manson

Mentioned
    97 Post(s)
    All that I hear in my head while reading the last couple of pages:

Mentioned
    36 Post(s)
    My whole connection with Manson is I never gave a fuck about his image. I always hated the shock rock Hot Topic Alice Copper scare mommy and daddy mr antichrist god of fuck image. It was always cheesy to me from day 1. I never looked up to him in high school or saw him as some fucking leader like a portion of his fanbase did (i was too busy idolizing Mike Patton and Trent Reznor)...I just always dug the music and always thought his vocals were amazing. If it was up to me, I would have preferred he come out on stage dressing like Trent in a black t shirt, combat boots and army green cargo shorts and just played the music. I never got into the image. To this day I can barely tolerate POAAF because it comes off like GWAR or some 9th grade metal album (Dope Hat is sick af I admit). Thats why I always gravitate to the albums that cut away from the image and focus on actual songwriting and why I dug EMDM and THEOL since the day they were released because they left Mr Hot Topic behind for the most part. Pale Emperor was a total breath of fresh air after BV and We Are Chaos especially saved his career after the turd known as HUD. I want Manson to do an entire album of songs like 'Broken Needle' next. Dudes in his 50s. Put down the makeup forever and start writing songs as Brian Warner. The 'Gods Gonna Cut You Down' cover followed by WAC is an excellent start to this new era of his career. The Hot Topic part of his fanbase will be alienated but they can go to White Zombie and Korn shows instead to get their fix of 90s chain wallet metal

Mentioned
    35 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Helpmeiaminhell View Post
    My whole connection with Manson is I never gave a fuck about his image. I always hated the shock rock Hot Topic Alice Copper scare mommy and daddy mr antichrist god of fuck image. It was always cheesy to me from day 1. I never looked up to him in high school or saw him as some fucking leader like a portion of his fanbase did (i was too busy idolizing Mike Patton and Trent Reznor)...I just always dug the music and always thought his vocals were amazing. If it was up to me, I would have preferred he come out on stage dressing like Trent in a black t shirt, combat boots and army green cargo shorts and just played the music. I never got into the image. To this day I can barely tolerate POAAF because it comes off like GWAR or some 9th grade metal album (Dope Hat is sick af I admit). Thats why I always gravitate to the albums that cut away from the image and focus on actual songwriting and why I dug EMDM and THEOL since the day they were released because they left Mr Hot Topic behind for the most part. Pale Emperor was a total breath of fresh air after BV and We Are Chaos especially saved his career after the turd known as HUD. I want Manson to do an entire album of songs like 'Broken Needle' next. Dudes in his 50s. Put down the makeup forever and start writing songs as Brian Warner. The 'Gods Gonna Cut You Down' cover followed by WAC is an excellent start to this new era of his career. The Hot Topic part of his fanbase will be alienated but they can go to White Zombie and Korn shows instead to get their fix of 90s chain wallet metal
    I did like the image throughout the period that I still consider to be his best work (Mainly the "triptych," but I'd probably throw GAOG in there, too. POAAF was a little cheesy image-wise), but otherwise, I agree with pretty much everything you said. I never really got into EMDM, but I don't hate it either. It's got a few good songs and (from what I remember of them) seemed to be better, or at least more memorable, than THEOL, BV, and HUD. In all honestly, WAC and TPE are the only Manson albums since GAOG that I've enjoyed enough to really listen to more than a couple of times.

After digesting WAC for a few weeks, I think this is how I'd rank everything:
    MA
    ACSS
    HW
    WAC
    POAAF
    TPE
    GAOG
    EMDM
    THEOL
    HUD
    BV

Mentioned
    12 Post(s)
    I quite like the music that Twiggy and Vrenna came up with for Born Villain, if only Manson provided better lyrics it could've been a return to form.
    Especially since the follow-up for that album was The Pale Emperor.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    WAC is a really dope album. Listened to it quite a bit over the last 2 weeks, it’s an instant classic for sure. I really love the entire thing, no skippers here. Bravo MM & Shooter Jennings! Anyone not familiar with Jennings non-country albums should check out Black Ribbons, Countach (for Georgio), & Fenixon, the latter being recorded in the mid 90’s with his father & is heavily influenced by NIN.

Mentioned
    31 Post(s)
    Weird Marilyn Manson question...

Is there any documented fandom/inspiration from Manson towards Edgar Winter? I as because I'm typing up the lyrics to "One day tomorrow" from the Jasmine Nightdreams (1975) album and this just popped out at me...

"One day tomorrow
    Nothing will be left to destroy.
    When both our dreams
    at last come true"

and Edgar Winter's song publishing arm at the time was Hierophant Inc.

Now, of course, it's connecting some far flung dots but it was worth asking...

Mentioned
    122 Post(s)
    Got my picture disc! Sadly the turntable is packed up for the move so no reports on sound quality

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Had to create a new account, it's been so long since I've been around here...the new album is both interesting enough and disappointing enough to write about. I appreciate the analyses from other members. Personally, the music is good. Shooter Jennings was a very good pick, and would likely continue to be an excellent writing partner in the future. I agree with him that Manson has a unique poetic sensibility that is quite potent. He is a clever wordsmith and a decent storyteller. So between the musicality and the lyrics, I quite like the new album.

However--and I wish this wasn't the case--I know too much about the writer. There is a reason why those of us early fans yearn for a return to form. I mean, I can only speak for myself, but from the beginning to the height of Manson's career, I witnessed someone transforming from a "collective man," a young, cynical, intellectual man to a fully self-actualized potent guy--a person who achieved individuation, in Jungian terms. That, combined with the hard-hitting music, was incredibly inspiring. And I think that is why so many fans seem too enamored in the past--Manson actually contributed something of great spiritual value at that point. Then he appeared to disintegrate into the Hollywood scene, which is probably the lamest story arc he could have created: dork achieves enlightenment and fame, and shortly loses it to drugs and women.

Which leads to the most pathetic story line: years and albums worth of wrestling with the notion of being a monster and sabotaging romantic relationships, being overly invested in romantic relationships, etc...quite a fall. I wish I could see this album as growth, as that one interviewer said. Maybe it is. Growth is? moving away from fascination with torturing a young actress to settling for a commitment from an adoring co-dependent relationship. I wish the lyrics reflected a more impersonal and relatable story. But I'm pretty sure it is as shallow as that. Guess it just is not that compelling for me. Wish it was and glad to see others enjoy it. I wish I could!

Mentioned
    85 Post(s)
    why I dug EMDM and THEOL since the day they were released because they left Mr Hot Topic behind for the most part.
    That's hilarious because when he stopped singing about self-betterment, the problems with America, celebrity culture, drugs, dead presidents, deification, guns and Hollywood...and started singing love songs describing himself as a vampire was the exact moment I felt he started to buy into the mall goth image and became Mr. Hot Topic.

Point in fact that's when Hot Topic started getting exclusive Manson items. I believe their version of Eat Me, Drink Me had 2 extra mixes, or something. And they got vinyl versions of Portrait and ACSS.

Mentioned
    251 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Shadaloo View Post
    That's hilarious because when he stopped singing about self-betterment, the problems with America, celebrity culture, drugs, dead presidents, deification, guns and Hollywood...and started singing love songs describing himself as a vampire was the exact moment I felt he started to buy into the mall goth image and became Mr. Hot Topic.

Point in fact that's when Hot Topic started getting exclusive Manson items. I believe their version of Eat Me, Drink Me had 2 extra mixes, or something. And they got vinyl versions of Portrait and ACSS.

I’ve always admitted to my love of EMDM but don’t forget that’s also when he had the Hot Topic exclusive energy drink too!

Mentioned
    12 Post(s)
    Pretty sure the Hot Topic exclusivity was before EMDM; I have a pic disc of Golden Age of Grotesque/This Is the New Shit that I bought there. Also I will happily admit that I wish EMDM had a vinyl pressing.

Mentioned
    35 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by kleiner View Post
    I’ve always admitted to my love of EMDM but don’t forget that’s also when he had the Hot Topic exclusive energy drink too!
    It was also the year (2007) that he released his own brand of absinthe (Mansinthe).

Mentioned
    528 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by sonic_discord View Post
    It was also the year (2007) that he released his own brand of absinthe (Mansinthe).
    what a terrible name.

at least COIL's was classy - https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Duplais_Balance

Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Does anyone know if there is a shirt with tour dates for the fall 1998 tour? It was the theater tour with 12 Rounds, the first and only MM show I’ve seen.

Mentioned
    12 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by trollmanen View Post
    Does anyone know if there is a shirt with tour dates for the fall 1998 tour? It was the theater tour with 12 Rounds, the first and only MM show I’ve seen.
    http://www.mansonwiki.com/wiki/Mecha...ls_merchandise

Not sure how comprehensive that is, but only shirt with dates they have is the 99 one with Hole/Monster Magnet/Nashville Pussy

Mentioned
    29 Post(s)
    So, am I reading this new article correctly? Because it sounds like he and Lindsay actually got married at home during the shutdown.

https://www.interviewmagazine.com/fi...n-conversation

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Mentioned
    97 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by eachpassingphase View Post
    So, am I reading this new article correctly? Because it sounds like he and Lindsay actually got married at home during the shutdown.

https://www.interviewmagazine.com/film/nicolas-cage-marilyn-manson-in-conversation
    Yep

Quote Originally Posted by fillow in May View Post
    Apparently Manson is getting married again soon? Or so I read on reddit

Mentioned
    36 Post(s)
    More intrigued by the fact he interviewed the great Nic Cage and seems to know a lot about Nic's movies

Mentioned
    251 Post(s)
    I wanted to hold off on giving any hard opinions on the new album until it had digested a bit and I can safely say this is some of the best work of his entire career. I don’t think this record has any fat, and even some of my favorite Manson albums definitely could be trimmed down a lot. It’s concise and great. I still think TPE was an amazing return to form, but this is what I wish HUD had been. Hoping he and Shooter stick together and they make another one at this level, it’s like hearing a completely different person from what has been the norm for so long with him.

Mentioned
    186 Post(s)
    More intrigued by the fact he interviewed the great Nic Cage and seems to know a lot about Nic's movies
    Nic should play him in a film bio since they have the same sort of face shape and features. And both Capricorns.

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Erneuert View Post
    Nic should play him in a film bio since they have the same sort of face shape and features. And both Capricorns.
    There was a point where Manson looked like Nic Cage, so I would love to see Nic play him in a biopic.

Mentioned
    108 Post(s)
    Haven't ya'll seen this meme before?

Mentioned
    186 Post(s)
    lol no

Mentioned
    36 Post(s)
    Rory Culkin w long hair could pass as a young Manson but he already did that black metal biopic Lords of Chaos which was a pile of shit

Mentioned
    251 Post(s)
    Don’t know if it’s been mentioned before but the opening of Solve Coagula references Into the Fire. I feel like most of WAC could be related back to past Marilyn Manson albums and it shows a level of self-reflection not around since Holy Wood or maybe Golden Age. That also makes all the lines about wanting to sing way more interesting with the “so listen” line, it feels like he’s explicitly referring to his own lack of self-awareness combined with the chorus about staying the same since there’s no one else he’d rather be like. It’s like the Mephistopheles of Los Angeles lyrics times 100.
    Last edited by implanted_microchip; 10-28-2020 at 10:11 PM.

Mentioned
    141 Post(s)
    Rory Culkin w long hair could pass as a young Manson but he already did that black metal biopic Lords of Chaos which was a pile of shit
    I don't really want to side track this thread, but I actually really enjoyed that movie.

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    I think he would maybe fit better as younger Trent since both has same height, Manson is too tall for him.

Mentioned
    36 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by ManBurning View Post
    I don't really want to side track this thread, but I actually really enjoyed that movie.

It was entertaining as a fictional movie (and I am a Rory Culkin fan)...but not as a biopic which they basically claimed it was. They took a lot of liberties and half truths with it. A lot of people in that scene basically called it out as being bullshit. They painted Euronymous as this nice guy and Varg as the psychopath when they were both pretty off their heads.

Mentioned
    528 Post(s)
    It was entertaining as a fictional movie (and I am a Rory Culkin fan)...but not as a biopic which they basically claimed it was. They took a lot of liberties and half truths with it. A lot of people in that scene basically called it out as being bullshit. They painted Euronymous as this nice guy and Varg as the psychopath when they were both pretty off their heads.
    also weird since it was done by jonas akerlund...who was actually around during those days, wasn't he? i know he was the original drummer for bathory.

also, yeah, they were both assholes...but i'd say varg is maybe a little worse? haha

Mentioned
    36 Post(s)
    Ironic this discussion is on the Manson thread. Goes to show how silly the US media was in the mid 90s when they tried to paint Manson as the devil....I guess they weren't keen to what was happening over in Norway. Mayhem, Burzum, Emperor and other bands in that scene made Manson look like the fuckin care bears