Page 75 of 135 FirstFirst ... 25 65 73 74 75 76 77 85 125 ... LastLast
Results 2,221 to 2,250 of 4043

Thread: Marilyn Manson

Mentioned
    551 Post(s)
    Thing is Manson isn’t a person who plays an instrument. He’s not a musician, and he’s a roll of the dice when it comes to his singing... so at this point what are we hoping for? There’s a lot of MM/Tool fans.. I wonder, would the Tool fans be excited as they are if Maynard picked up a snorting-everything habit and replaced all the musicians in the band? What if his lyrics turned into spooky soup, like “hey! I’ll rape your world!!!! Jesus had stupid haircuts!”

At this point, Manson’s about as edgy as scientology.

Mentioned
    104 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Jinsai View Post
    Thing is Manson isn’t a person who plays an instrument. He’s not a musician, and he’s a roll of the dice when it comes to his singing... so at this point what are we hoping for? There’s a lot of MM/Tool fans.. I wonder, would the Tool fans be excited as they are if Maynard picked up a snorting-everything habit and replaced all the musicians in the band? What if his lyrics turned into spooky soup, like “hey! I’ll rape your world!!!! Jesus had stupid haircuts!”

For one, Tool isn't Maynard's band; it's Adam's. If Maynard went off the rails, he'd be out and the band would be done.

But yeah, Manson is like that 10 year old who thinks it's hardcore to snort pixie sticks off the desk in math class. His buddies might laugh about it with him, but the grownups in the room, along with most of his classmates, are just thinking "dude, that's dumb".

Mentioned
    49 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Erneuert View Post
    My thoughts exactly.
    Thanks guys, sometimes the only words I can formulate are nonsensical gibberish. I'm glad you all understand.

I remember hearing the lyrics "I am the god of fuck" for the first time back in the day, and thinking "yeah that sounds about right, badass!"

Nowdays he just comes across as Insane Clown Possee levels of cheese.
    Last edited by SM Rollinger; 04-11-2019 at 01:33 PM.

Mentioned
    122 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by voidnz View Post
    Not to get defensive here or anything, but name a band who has produced over 100 original songs without a few shitters??? I've tried to pen songs myself and it doesn't seem easy to write one let alone a hundred.
    Nine Inch Nails, U2, Depeche Mode, the list goes on and on...

Mentioned
    33 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by NotoriousTIMP View Post
    One of these does not belong.

Mentioned
    75 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by NotoriousTIMP View Post
    Not sure if serious?...

Only bands I can think of that I like who don’t have any “cringe worthy” tunes are Pantera (Phil Anselmo era, not the hair band shit) and Tool, and they probably don’t have 100 original songs combined between the two.
    Last edited by Krazy; 04-11-2019 at 01:04 PM. Reason: Spelling

Mentioned
    104 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by voidnz View Post
    Not to get defensive here or anything, but name a band who has produced over 100 original songs without a few shitters???
    There's a difference between a few crappy songs scattered through your catalog and going ~20 years without a good album. Last album that didn't make me cringe was released in 2000.

Mentioned
    36 Post(s)
    As much as I dig Pantera, Cowboys From Hell has a couple cringe worthy songs where Phil sings in that high pitch Power Metal shit style....Faith No More Mike Patton era is the only band I can think of without any cringe-worthy songs.....I used to say the same about NIN until 'Everything' dropped and that ended that....

Mentioned
    551 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Krazy View Post
    Not sure if serious?...

Only bands I can think of that I like who don’t have any “cringe worthy” tunes are Pantera (Phil Anselmo era, not the hair band shit) and Tool, and they probably don’t have 100 original songs combined between the two.
    if we're sticking to rock music, The Beatles, Led Zeppelin, Tom Waits, Sonic Youth, Unwound, Dinosaur Jr, Leonard Cohen, pre Final Cut Pink Floyd, post Pablo Honey Radiohead, The Cure may have a few songs I hate but they have about a billion I love...

And regarding Pantera... Walk is a pretty cringey song, and actually, any of the "yeah I'm so tough I'll beat your ass" songs haven't aged that well. "Walk on home boy." ugh... and yeah, Cowboys from Hell is rough in some spots.
    Last edited by Jinsai; 04-11-2019 at 01:16 PM.

Mentioned
    49 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by theimage13 View Post
    There's a difference between a few crappy songs scattered through your catalog and going ~20 years without a good album. Last album that didn't make me cringe was released in 2000.
    TPE 4 life brah

Mentioned
    75 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Helpmeiaminhell View Post
    As much as I dig Pantera, Cowboys From Hell has a couple cringe worthy songs where Phil sings in that high pitch Power Metal shit style....Faith No More Mike Patton era is the only band I can think of without any cringe-worthy songs.....I used to say the same about NIN until 'Everything' dropped and that ended that....
    I dunno man, Capital G came out in ‘07... and there are some Ghosts tracks that sound like they were made for an Apple commercial lol.

if we're sticking to rock music, The Beatles, Led Zeppelin, Tom Waits, Sonic Youth, Unwound, Dinosaur Jr, Leonard Cohen, pre Final Cut Pink Floyd, post Pablo Honey Radiohead, The Cure may have a few songs I hate but they have about a billion I love...

And regarding Pantera... Walk is a pretty cringey song, and actually, any of the "yeah I'm so tough I'll beat your ass" songs haven't aged that well. "Walk on home boy." ugh... and yeah, Cowboys from Hell is rough in some spots.
    Ill agree to disagree re: Pantera. Sure some stuff may not age as well as others but I wouldn’t just lump that into “cringe worthy” territory. Walk is one of the coolest-simple riffs ever made IMHO.

But I agree, even while pooping on some bands output (that includes NIN) the good to bad ratio is what counts along with how good a live show one can still put on. I’ll travel out via airplane to see Trent put together a NIN show, I don’t think I’d go to see Manson live in my own town on a weekend if I get a free ticket and beers.

Mentioned
    141 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Helpmeiaminhell View Post
    .....I used to say the same about NIN until 'Everything' dropped and that ended that....
    Yeah, I was sitting there wondering if Trent did anything considerably bad in his career as Manson did, and then I remembered Hesitations Marks exists.
    HM is basically Trent's "Heaven Upside Down"

Mentioned
    84 Post(s)
    Good Friends and a Bottle of Pills

I fucked your girlfriend last night
    While you snored and drooled, I fucked your love
    She called me Daddy
    And I called her baby when I smacked her ass
    I called her sugar when I ate her alive till daylight
    And I slept with her all over me
    From forehead to ribcage I dripped her ass
    Sometimes I thought you might be spying
    Living out some brash fantasy, but no
    You were knocked out
    But we were all knocked out you know
    In a way

I'm out of my fucking mind
    I serve too many masters

We didn't know you'd break the bottle
    That the magic came in to use those jagged shards
    To cut our wrists and neck
    And you'd do it too, you're that kind of dude
    But you wouldn't know what you were doing
    Because I didn't
    Your girlfriend could have been a burn victim
    An amputee, a dead body
    But god damn I wanted to fuck

I'm losing what's left of my fucking mind
    I serve too many fucking masters
    I fucking told you
    I'm losing that fucking every fucking bit
    Of a motherfucking mind, you fuck

Thought that song was cool and daring when I was like twelve
    Respect to Dimebag and all ('cept Anselmo), but Pantera were never what I'd call classy

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Breaking down "The Dope Show" with its engineer, the fantastic Michael Beinhorn!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    This is more for the technically minded and the musicians, but I guess there are quite a few in here :-)
    This the same engineer that did Black Hole Sun, I think.
    Last edited by benoïde; 05-07-2019 at 01:45 PM.

Mentioned
    19 Post(s)
    I'm very much enjoying the burgeoning trend of artists or engineers breaking down songs or albums. Avenged Sevenfold has been doing it and, say what you will of their music, the videos are very interesting.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    I like how they emphasized Pogo's creativity, a lot of the sounds are really well constructed, the sound editing adds a whole layer to the songwriting. Also, Beinhorn's insistence on the feel of the music suits the album really well.

Mentioned
    141 Post(s)
    Marilyn Manson opens up about his album Heaven Upside Down, mortality, collecting razors, eating leeches and everything in between

Edit: This is an old article from late last year. Unsure why it was just posted again now. *shrugs*

https://www.loudersound.com/features/marilyn-manson-on-life-death-and-painting-with-piss?fbclid=IwAR1iKp46D5n98_HuuYhKByH_2WPwZYOvv19R 9fE-CTsNBSlzPAIqAErJpZ8

Last edited by ManBurning; 05-10-2019 at 03:33 AM.

Mentioned
    280 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by benoïde View Post
    Breaking down "The Dope Show" with its engineer, the fantastic Michael Beinhorn!

Ok so I just started the video but at 2:27 he isolates the bass for a moment, does that mean they have access to the masters? I thought that trent trashed the masters for portrait THROUGH mechanical animals? Am I reading too much into this?

Edit: Yeah, they have the masters to this track. I'm blown away.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by tony.parente View Post
    Ok so I just started the video but at 2:27 he isolates the bass for a moment, does that mean they have access to the masters? I thought that trent trashed the masters for portrait THROUGH mechanical animals? Am I reading too much into this?

Edit: Yeah, they have the masters to this track. I'm blown away.
    Yeah, maybe they have the transferred masters, but not the original ones (if it was recorded to tape)?

Mentioned
    10 Post(s)
    The missing ones that Manson refers to as his "first 3 albums" are Portrait, Smells like Children and Antichrist Superstar. Manson doesn't have a track record of hanging onto his multitrack sessions, part of the Holywood session ended up on ebay even at one point.

Mentioned
    49 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Damian View Post
    The missing ones that Manson refers to as his "first 3 albums" are Portrait, Smells like Children and Antichrist Superstar. Manson doesn't have a track record of hanging onto his multitrack sessions, part of the Holywood session ended up on ebay even at one point.
    Their not missing, their in Trent's basement, along with his missing Grammy for Happiness in Slavery.
    Last edited by SM Rollinger; 05-10-2019 at 06:19 PM.

Mentioned
    104 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Damian View Post
    part of the Holywood session ended up on ebay even at one point.
    Wait what?

Mentioned
    49 Post(s)
    Didn’t Marilyn Manson say Trent DOES have the masters in an interview with Howard Stern and they’re not lost at all, he got a drunken wrong impression or something? Yep, here you go

Last edited by WorzelG; 05-11-2019 at 12:35 AM.

Mentioned
    120 Post(s)
    We're All Stars Now...In The Pope Show (i'm sorry):

https://loudwire.com/marilyn-manson-acting-the-new-pope-series/

Marilyn Manson is adding to his acting resume, landing a part in the HBO series The New Pope. The series comes from Paolo Sorrentino and is the follow-up to his previous series The Young Pope, which starred Jude Law.According to Variety, Law will return and the series will also feature John Malkovich and Sharon Stone. HBO released a photo of Manson (seen above), but no details have been announced concerning his role the show. This installment of the anthology series centers on a pair of popes, with Law and Malkovich in the primary roles. Other returning actors include Cecile de France, Ludivine Sagnier and Silvio Orlando.

Principal photography for the series has reportedly wrapped, but an official air date has yet to be announced.
    Manson remains one of rock's more theatrical personalities and that's transferred over into the acting world. He's best known for recurring stints on TV's Sons of Anarchy and Salem, but has also appeared in such films as Lost Highway, Jawbreaker, Party Monster and Let Me Make You a Martyr.
    In addition to his acting work, Marilyn Manson's been busy with his regular gig as a recording musician. In mid-March, the musician revealed that he was working with Shooter Jennings and nearing completion of his next album. Manson will resume his touring in June. See dates and get ticketing info here.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by WorzelG View Post
    Didn’t Marilyn Manson say Trent DOES have the masters in an interview with Howard Stern and they’re not lost at all, he got a drunken wrong impression or something? Yep, here you go

This sent me down the rabbit hole of revisiting the Reznor influence on Manson. Turned into the following playlist.

Mentioned
    49 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by brotha52 View Post
    This sent me down the rabbit hole of revisiting the Reznor influence on Manson. Turned into the following playlist.
    I love Trent's remix of Get Your Gunn

Mentioned
    49 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by WorzelG View Post

Just like I have always said, they have been in Trent's basement this whole time.

Mentioned
    104 Post(s)

My brain hurts.

Mentioned
    19 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by theimage13 View Post

My brain hurts.
    Would preorder on vinyl.