Page 51 of 135 FirstFirst ... 41 49 50 51 52 53 61 101 ... LastLast
Results 1,501 to 1,530 of 4043

Thread: Marilyn Manson

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by theimage13 View Post
    I'm strictly talking about Marilyn Manson and potential band members. Don't try to tell me I shouldn't be talking about it here just because you admittedly care less about whether someone beats his wife than whether he can play guitar in a mediocre rock band. This is a perfectly valid place to question whether Marilyn Manson should be hiring a known woman-beater. The general question about whether abusing someone should be more important than the skills of some club band guitarist (spoiler alert: it is) would be better discussed in the sexual asshatery thread though, I suppose. But as long as it pertains directly to this band, I'll discuss it here. Sorry if it makes you uncomfortable to see that. Maybe that should tell you something.
    It doesn’t tell me anything and it doesn’t make me feel uncomfortable. I don’t know Depp or Manson personally, therefore I couldn’t care less about their private lives.

I do care about Manson’s music though, so my interest is strictly related to what Depp might bring to the band to make things better (or not).

Mentioned
    141 Post(s)
    Does anyone know who the actual new guitarist is?? I was watching clips from the other night in Denver, but I can't figure it out. It's defiantly not Johnny Depp.

Mentioned
    14 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by ManBurning View Post
    Does anyone know who the actual new guitarist is?? I was watching clips from the other night in Denver, but I can't figure it out. It's defiantly not Johnny Depp.
    I just watched some clips and only see Paul Wiley on guitar duties. Are you sure there is a new person? Link please!

Mentioned
    141 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by virushopper View Post
    I just watched some clips and only see Paul Wiley on guitar duties. Are you sure there is a new person? Link please!
    Oh, I donno... I guess that's who's on guitar. I didn't realize they had 2 guitarists with bates? I just assumed bates was the only guitarist.

Mentioned
    14 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by ManBurning View Post
    Oh, I donno... I guess that's who's on guitar. I didn't realize they had 2 guitarists with bates? I just assumed bates was the only guitarist.
    For the past several years it was either a combination of Bates and Wiley or just Wiley alone (I.E. SP tour). Bates is the only guitarist on the records.

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Just Paul Wiley on guitar thus far.

Mentioned
    251 Post(s)
    Don’t forget that video where Manson beats the shit out of a lookalike of his ex (who later went on to write an article about being in a violent relationship and made it sound a lot like it was Manson)

Mentioned
    36 Post(s)
    http://www.westword.com/music/marily...nymore-9908257

this guy DECIMATES Manson in a review of his concert the other day...says Manson rambled on the entire set about drugs....

Mentioned
    161 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Helpmeiaminhell View Post

this guy DECIMATES Manson in a review of his concert the other day...says Manson rambled on the entire set about drugs....
    Wooo! Wooo! Wooo! New headline alert, new headline alert!

Pretentious 2010's music reviewer writes one note bash article that fails to garner laughs.

Most MM shows these days are a shadow of their former glory but nothing that article stated made me laugh like it was attempting to do. I don't need a random fuck telling me shows aren't good when I can search out Youtube and talk to other fans and people I know personally.

The article writer came off as a snobby rejected writer from Pitchfork.
    Last edited by Space Suicide; 01-23-2018 at 06:01 PM.

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Space Suicide View Post
    Wooo! Wooo! Wooo! New headline alert, new headline alert!

Pretentious 2010's music reviewer writes one note bash article that fails to garner laughs.

Most MM shows these days are a shadow of their former glory but nothing that article stated made me laugh like it was attempting to do. I don't need a random fuck telling me shows aren't good when I can search out Youtube and talks to other fans and people I know personally.

The article writer came off as a snobby rejected writer from Pitchfork.
    You basically hit it right on the head. The writer sounds like a guy who didn't want to be there in the first place.

Mentioned
    96 Post(s)
    Only thing is...he wasn't wrong about any of it.

Mentioned
    104 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by tremolo View Post
    It doesn’t tell me anything and it doesn’t make me feel uncomfortable. I don’t know Depp or Manson personally, therefore I couldn’t care less about their private lives.

I do care about Manson’s music though, so my interest is strictly related to what Depp might bring to the band to make things better (or not).
    Depp is no saint but this idea that Manson fans would revolt if Depp gets brought on because he "beat the shit out of his wife"....When did Manson become the sanctuary for womans rights? Hate to break it to the Manson fan club, but that guy is near the bottom when it comes to his treatment of women over the past 2 decades. He's right alongside Tommy Lee and Axl Rose and the guys in Poison for the way he has treated women
    I never said fans would revolt. Never even implied it. I don't think anyone else here said that, either. In fact, I'll go on record that if Manson raped a woman on 5th Ave in the middle of broad daylight, most of his fans would still steal his albums and go to his shows.

And that's why this country has the problem that it does. People couldn't give a flying fuck about something unless it personally affects them. I bet you'd be screaming for a prison sentence if Manson pulled his dick out on stage and pissed on your girlfriend in the front row at a concert. But as long as abuse happens to a stranger behind closed doors, you don't care.

Go ahead, tell me I'm wrong. Tell me you also wouldn't care that he beat the shit out of your mom or another woman you love. Otherwise, tell me why you don't care that he (or a bandmate) beats or abuses a different woman. I'm curious to know where this magical line is drawn.

Mentioned
    104 Post(s)

I wouldn't call this decimating at all, anymore than I would call a WaPo article criticizing a bad tweet from Trump "decimating". The guy wrote an honest review, and frankly, I agree with it. The gist of it is that things were tamer in the 90s and it was easy for him to shock people. Now, the President of the United States of America is a guy who has bragged about his ability to grope women without consequence, boasted that he could shoot a guy in the middle of NYC and no one would care, and encouraged us to vote for an alleged child sex abuser. It takes more to shock people these days, and a middle aged man in seemingly poor health who rambles on about drugs just isn't going to do it. It's old hat. The writer WANTED Manson to shock him. He clearly hoped that he wouldn't leave the show feeling that he'd have to write a negative-sounding review. He went, he gave the act a chance, and it didn't deliver.

The author didn't go out of his way to slam Manson. He didn't exaggerate anything. He wrote pretty plainly and used rather matter-of-fact comparisons to make his case, which frankly, I think were accurate.

edit: @Prettybrokenspiral , instead of a lazy facepalm, would you actually let us know what you think is so painfully and horribly wrong about my assessment of the review? I thought it was a well-reasoned review with good points; I'd be curious to hear from the other side.
    Last edited by theimage13; 01-23-2018 at 09:57 PM.

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)

Marilyn Manson

I never said fans would revolt. Never even implied it. I don't think anyone else here said that, either. In fact, I'll go on record that if Manson raped a woman on 5th Ave in the middle of broad daylight, most of his fans would still steal his albums and go to his shows.

And that's why this country has the problem that it does. People couldn't give a flying fuck about something unless it personally affects them. I bet you'd be screaming for a prison sentence if Manson pulled his dick out on stage and pissed on your girlfriend in the front row at a concert. But as long as abuse happens to a stranger behind closed doors, you don't care.

Go ahead, tell me I'm wrong. Tell me you also wouldn't care that he beat the shit out of your mom or another woman you love. Otherwise, tell me why you don't care that he (or a bandmate) beats or abuses a different woman. I'm curious to know where this magical line is drawn.
    The examples you give are ridiculous, therefore I’m not taking them seriously because the answer is pretty obvious.

I’m not even a big fan of Manson, I do enjoy some of his music. I don’t care about gossip or how the latest trend affects him or any members of his band. That doesn’t mean I don’t feel any sympathy and empathy towards whoever gets abused in any way, but I would be a liar if I said that it keeps me up at night or that I think about it sometimes during the day if the subject isn’t brought up.

The trend now is that everybody cares, and not just that, but those who seem to care so much seem compelled to let everyone that they care. Look at me! I care! I know it’s not about me, it’s about the victims, but I want you all to know that I care.

It’s part if the idiocy in the mob mentality of social media, everybody thinks they know everybody –including celebrities– thanks to that vulgar overexposure of showing even what I had for lunch, or what I think about a certain subject... And caring too much about what others think about that. It seems shocking to you that I don’t react how you expect me to, or at the very least it bothers you enough to bring up my family in situations of violence and abuse, because in your head, if I don’t agree 100% with your cause, you have the stereotype ready to go: I’m some kind of selfish insensitive monster, even though I do not condone violence or abuse of any kind.

I guess I’m not as good as you are. Too bad for me. My loss.
    Last edited by tremolo; 01-23-2018 at 07:44 PM.

Mentioned
    104 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by tremolo View Post
    The examples you give are ridiculous, therefore I’m not taking them seriously because the answer is pretty obvious.

I’m not even a big fan of Manson, I do enjoy some of his music. I don’t care about gossip or how the latest trend affects him or any members of his band. That doesn’t mean I don’t feel any sympathy and empathy towards whoever gets abused in any way, but I would be a liar if I said that it keeps me up at night or that I think about it sometimes during the day if the subject isn’t brought up.
    Not sure what was ridiculous about my example.

But you say that you would be a liar if you didn't think about it sometimes if the subject isn't brought up. Okay. Here's the thing: the subject has been brought up. It's not in the shadows anymore. People aren't ignoring it and pretending it's not happening. It is happening. Often. So now that you know that, do you really still just not care? Because if you don't, then no, you don't have any empathy or sympathy. And if you do care, and you do have sympathy and empathy, then why are you defending the actions of abusers by giving them your money and supporting their products?

And I'm sorry, the trend now is that everybody cares? Compassion isn't a trend. Having morals isn't a trend. Telling people that they're bad for beating the shit out of other people isn't a motherfucking trend. For thousands and thousands of years, we've punished crimes. We as human beings have always had a sense of right and wrong that generally drew the line at "don't hurt each other". The only thing that's new is that we're finally starting to be more open about forms of abuse that used to be swept under the rug.

You do not condone violence or abuse of any kind? You literally said you couldn't care less if someone beats women. Your words, not mine.

Please. I'm not calling you names. I'm not calling myself "better than you". I'm not even being sarcastic about anything. I'm trying to reach you, as one human being to another, and get you to understand that constantly supporting people who are known abusers and not caring at all about their criminality only serves to condone, accept, and normalize their behavior.

And now that this is starting to get wayyyyyyyyy off topic, I'm done. You can quote this all you want and feel like you've had the last word. You can have it. If I can't get you to understand that supporting known abusers is tantamount to condoning their actions, then frankly I just don't know how to reach you, and can only hope that some day you have an epiphany.

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)

Marilyn Manson

Not sure what was ridiculous about my example.

But you say that you would be a liar if you didn't think about it sometimes if the subject isn't brought up. Okay. Here's the thing: the subject has been brought up. It's not in the shadows anymore. People aren't ignoring it and pretending it's not happening. It is happening. Often. So now that you know that, do you really still just not care? Because if you don't, then no, you don't have any empathy or sympathy. And if you do care, and you do have sympathy and empathy, then why are you defending the actions of abusers by giving them your money and supporting their products?

And I'm sorry, the trend now is that everybody cares? Compassion isn't a trend. Having morals isn't a trend. Telling people that they're bad for beating the shit out of other people isn't a motherfucking trend. For thousands and thousands of years, we've punished crimes. We as human beings have always had a sense of right and wrong that generally drew the line at "don't hurt each other". The only thing that's new is that we're finally starting to be more open about forms of abuse that used to be swept under the rug.

You do not condone violence or abuse of any kind? You literally said you couldn't care less if someone beats women. Your words, not mine.

Please. I'm not calling you names. I'm not calling myself "better than you". I'm not even being sarcastic about anything. I'm trying to reach you, as one human being to another, and get you to understand that constantly supporting people who are known abusers and not caring at all about their criminality only serves to condone, accept, and normalize their behavior.

And now that this is starting to get wayyyyyyyyy off topic, I'm done. You can quote this all you want and feel like you've had the last word. You can have it. If I can't get you to understand that supporting known abusers is tantamount to condoning their actions, then frankly I just don't know how to reach you, and can only hope that some day you have an epiphany.
    What is ridiculous is bringing up examples of family members being abused and asking the stupid question “would you care then?” Of course I would.

The thing is, I know the subject is being brought up all the time, but I don’t listen to radio, I don’t watch tv, I don’t read the news (on paper or online), and I don’t use social media other than posting here and in 2 other music forums from time to time. So I’m not exposed to it as much as other people are. I’m not being bombarded 24/7 with headlines and social media comments.

My take? If you are a victim, go to the police. It’s none of my business what happens in other people’s private lives. I don’t pretend that Depp’s wife being beat up shocks me. I’m sorry for her, but that’s all. I’m not losing any sleep over it, I’m not going to comment it with my family, friends, coworkers or acquaintances. I’m not close to those 2 people, I don’t know the details, and I have no interest in getting into that whole “he said she said” thing. To me it’s a legal issue, and should be addressed in court by those involved. Beyond that it’s just tabloid material and gossip to me. I do not get involved in what’s going on in other people’s relationships, I consider that to be private issues that have nothing to do with me. I don’t know what he did, I don’t know if she did something that pushed him to do that, I don’t even know if this is true, I don’t know if there’s a case in court in process... you get where I’m going.

I don’t see things as right/wrong as black/white. There’s a lot of grey in between. Is beating someone up wrong? Well, it depends on the context. And I don’t know the context of Depp’s case, and I have no interest in finding out cause to me it is irrelevant.

The social media mob considers that the right thing to do is to judge anyone being accused and demand that they have everything taken away from them. It’s all or nothing. Having an opinion and posting it on social media with hashtags is seen as caring and being involved and being humanitarian and compasionate. I don’t spend time in that environment, I don’t take part in that stuff, because I don’t like groups and how self-righteous they become. I prefer to use my “caring” where I think it actually matters and where I think I have more chances of making a positive impact, and that place is not the internet.

And please don’t feel like you need to reach me and enlighten me cause I need some kind of guidance or epiphany. It’s not your role to save the world. And yeah, this is way off topic, that’s why I suggested using the other thread in the other subforum in the first place.
    Last edited by tremolo; 01-24-2018 at 05:27 AM.

Mentioned
    118 Post(s)
    I’m certain someone said this already but the “Cry Little Sister” cover is better than anything on HUD. Hopefully there will be an official release of it.

Mentioned
    14 Post(s)
    Saw MM last night in Madison and unfortunately it was a pretty underwhelming show. I'll be the first to admit that Madison crowds can be on the tame side, and Manson spent basically the whole night drawing attention to it. He actually stopped more than one song halfway through to admonish he crowd that they weren't making enough noise, or not singing along to the lyrics well enough. Generally doing the whole sad "come on, you can be louder than that" thing to an audience which just wasn't having it. I do totally get that the whole audience-band synergy thing is super important, and it's tough to put on a great show if the audience isn't responding the way you'd hoped, but IMO he handled it in just about the worst possible way. We got a really weird, shitty version of Irresponsible Hate Anthem at the end of the main set which was mostly this sort of industrial jam band thing for like three minutes and then the last chorus? Or something? I assume that's not usual. He pretty clearly cancelled his final encore, which I assume was gonna be Beautiful People or something - house lights didn't come on for a good 2-3 minutes or so after they left the stage. I'm only a casual Manson fan at best so I honestly didn't care, but I feel bad for the hardcore fans in the crowd who were denied a better show because of his hissy fit.

So yeah - not a great show by any means. Setlist skewed pretty heavily post-ACSS, which was fine by me even though I'm not super familiar with a lot of it. I'm always the guy at a NIN show who wants TR to play nothing but the new stuff, so I'm generally fine with whatever setlist a musician wants to play.

He rolled out onstage initially in a motorized wheelchair thing which had been converted into a kind of mobile papal throne, and my friend's first very confused thought was, "is he dressed like an evil banana?"
    Last edited by xolotl; 02-03-2018 at 10:30 AM. Reason: throne, not altar.

Mentioned
    49 Post(s)
    Ill be seeing Marlin again for like the 7th or 8th time in July at Rock USA, he plays right before Rob Zombie so we will see how this goes. Regardless im looking forward to finally record Mr Mansboob since the last time I saw him in 2013 my batteries died on me during the opening band.

Anyways im going to all three days so if anyone wants to meet und get crunk let me know.

oh, and the 1995.09.30 Pao Alto tape is straight up VICIOUS, listen to it if you haven't.

and hell if you have listen to it again!

Mentioned
    82 Post(s)
    Is this song...

Supposed to be a parody/mocking of this song?

Mentioned
    104 Post(s)
    ^^ Yeah, he's got soundcheck in Toronto in about two hours. So....no.

Mentioned
    82 Post(s)
    Saw MM last night in Boston. It was a good show, sixth or seventh time I've seen him. Compared to the other shows, this seemed more meat-and-potatoes, more sparse, stripped down with few props, no confetti, fewer constumes, etc. He sounded good, did his normal sober-Morrison shtick, although he did sound a little high. Thanked us for coming back, as the other show in October was postponed due do his injury, "I was the victim of gun violence," haha.

He did seem a little more subdued than usual, but he is pushing 50.
    Last edited by GulDukat; 02-13-2018 at 08:06 AM.

Mentioned
    33 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by RhettButler View Post
    "I was the victim of gun violence," haha.
    Usually his sense of humor falls flat for me but that's pretty funny.

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Saw the band last night in Boston. They sounded pretty good and Manson actually, dare I say it, looked almost healthy. Like he has lost weight and looked younger than he has in the past several years. He was smoking a joint on stage and I think he might have been drinking prior to the show as there were moments where it was hard to understand what he was saying (also could very much be that I was standing near a bar under the speakers). They don't have a keyboardist on this tour, just 4 piece band, and they didn't use much music from a tape for the usual things like the "Ahhhh" in the Beautiful People and few vocal effects in Mobscene where actually done by Manson himself. So, that was different than the usual Manson shows of the past. But yeah, I had a good time.

Mentioned
    82 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by renton44 View Post
    Saw the band last night in Boston. They sounded pretty good and Manson actually, dare I say it, looked almost healthy. Like he has lost weight and looked younger than he has in the past several years. He was smoking a joint on stage and I think he might have been drinking prior to the show as there were moments where it was hard to understand what he was saying (also could very much be that I was standing near a bar under the speakers). They don't have a keyboardist on this tour, just 4 piece band, and they didn't use much music from a tape for the usual things like the "Ahhhh" in the Beautiful People and few vocal effects in Mobscene where actually done by Manson himself. So, that was different than the usual Manson shows of the past. But yeah, I had a good time.
    Were they giving out passes? I thought I heard someone say they were. Also, the opening DJ was pretty good.

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by RhettButler View Post
    Were they giving out passes? I thought I heard someone say they were. Also, the opening DJ was pretty good.
    I missed most of the opening DJ (was at Tasty Burger... and that is ONE TASTY BURGER!). I am not sure about passes, but it was sold out show (as I am sure you know as you spent time in the same long ass line as I did).

Mentioned
    82 Post(s)
    I missed most of the opening DJ (was at Tasty Burger... and that is ONE TASTY BURGER!). I am not sure about passes, but it was sold out show (as I am sure you know as you spent time in the same long ass line as I did).
    Interesting mix of goths and bros.

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    A little off topic but not really, having heard 'The Nobodies' live on Monday night and then a school shooting two days later is super sobering. Its amazing how good that song really is and how things haven't changed in the 15 years or so since it was released.

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Oh jeez... Apparently, he was drunk or high as hell during the meet and greet too.

https://www.newsday.com/entertainmen...unt-1.16800038

Mentioned
    65 Post(s)
    Oh jeez... Apparently, he was drunk or high as hell during the meet and greet too.

https://www.newsday.com/entertainmen...unt-1.16800038
    glad a crowd finally got fed up enough to turn on him.