Page 2 of 129 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 12 52 102 ... LastLast

Thread: Marilyn Manson

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Mentioned
    75 Post(s)
    Holy hell I had to double check that- 3 months, not 8. Thought I was losing my mind. :P

Pretty good music!

Mentioned
    280 Post(s)
    Sounds much more interesting than the pale emperor.

Mentioned
    251 Post(s)
    I can't be the only person who found this pretty boring, right? Feels very cliche Manson to me. I really dug TPE and hope I end up being wrong but that didn't inspire a whole lot of hope in me for this album (the name alone just makes me cringe).

Mentioned
    28 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by kleiner352 View Post
    I can't be the only person who found this pretty boring, right? Feels very cliche Manson to me. I really dug TPE and hope I end up being wrong but that didn't inspire a whole lot of hope in me for this album (the name alone just makes me cringe).
    I thought the first part was somewhat intriguing, at least. The chorus was boring generic Manson song imo. But it's only 1m of one song, so I'll reserve judgment for now.

Mentioned
    49 Post(s)
    Home at last. I think I lost over 75+ posts when that garbage thread was canned.

Mentioned
    14 Post(s)
    Cool song.

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Yes, thank you for bringing this thread back! It was my daily guilty pleasure when I was (still am) waiting for something new to happen on the ninternet (other than goddamn soundtracks). Love the music, hope this MM album is a little more electronic.

On a side note, Manson's fingernails are dirty like that in real life, I met him at a meet and greet in 2012. I hope it's just face makeup under there and not built up filth - apparently he doesn't like taking showers very often - although he didn't stink when I met him, and he got in quite close for a photo. Never ask him to sign his name Brian Warner - I thought he could sign my Mechanical Animals cd beside Twiggy's "Jeordie White" from a NIN meet and greet back in 2005. Manson said "Absolutely not, but thanks for asking politely...Hey Lindsay, check this out, Twiggy signed this as Jeordie White, Lindsay!....Lindsayyyyy!" He signed it Marilyn Manson. Pretty cool experience, very poor concert performance.

Mentioned
    55 Post(s)
    Thats kinda odd that Twiggy signed a manson product with his real name. I heard reports of when he was nin he would sign Manson things under Twiggy.

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Conan The Barbarian View Post
    Thats kinda odd that Twiggy signed a manson product with his real name. I heard reports of when he was nin he would sign Manson things under Twiggy.
    It was really disappointing actually, I heard afterwards from the other Spiral fans that he signed as Twiggy by request. At least Trent didn't sign my With Teeth cd as "Mike Reznor"!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    While the video is standard fare garbage, I'm not sure what to think about the song. The music sounds pretty cool, but I've grown tired of the Manson whisper vocal delivery.

Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    At the time Twiggy was probably in a phase where he wanted to move on from the Manson stuff. It's understandable. He had to do his own thing for a while to get over it. He went by his name Jeordie White while in APC and NIN.

I love the sound of this new song and the video is great. Looking forward to the record.

Mentioned
    32 Post(s)
    I find since holy wood I tend to be pleasantly surprised by his albums and listen to them a lot around the time of release, and then basically never listen to them again

Mentioned
    82 Post(s)
    Manson's albums ranked. Good list.

http://teamrock.com/feature/2016-11-...ked-worst-best

Mentioned
    85 Post(s)
    In no reality does Portrait belong under EMDM or THEOL.

I find a lot to love about albums that I initially despise, and I've come around a little on THEOL's weaker moments. But EMDM remains crap to my ears whenever I try.

Holy Wood's number 3 in my book, but it isn't often I see folks call it his very best. Usually a tossup between MA or ACSS, either of which I'd agree with depending on the day of the week.

Mentioned
    169 Post(s)
    Holy Wood is a great album but no way it's Manson's best...

"Portrait..." and "Born Villian" at the bottom... yeah right

Mentioned
    82 Post(s)
    I would put POAAF at the very bottom. It's the most dated and the writing is the weakest of any MM album. THEOL and BV might be Manson by-the-numbers, but they have their moments and are much better, imho.

EMDM may just be Manson's most divisive album. I know a lot of fans hate it, but I fucking love it.

Mentioned
    161 Post(s)
    POAAF is my favorite album on most days. It didn't take itself seriously and the bands creepy vibe and image wasn't as shoehorned and forced like later albums. It had light social commentary and it hits the spot musically.

Mentioned
    169 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Space Suicide View Post
    POAAF is my favorite album on most days. It didn't take itself seriously and the bands creepy vibe and image wasn't as shoehorned and forced like later albums. It had light social commentary and it hits the spot musically.
    Exactly!, I miss that Manson, little less "artsy" and much more "kitch".
    Shame we did not get another "Spooky Kids Album", "Smells like children" is the last one with the "American Family" concept, then things started to get very serious with "Antichrist Superstar".

I can't stand "Eat Me, Drink Me", mostly for it's "Woe is me" lyrics, musically it's not great either, but is not as bad as "High end of Low".

Mentioned
    32 Post(s)
    90s stuff all joint first place

Wildcard - EMDM. Don't understand why it is hated so much yet the much more contrived and dull golden age is generally regarded as good or ok

Hated golden age, holywood was good but too long and ended the upward trajectory. The rest are all about equal

Mentioned
    82 Post(s)
    Great how fans have such divergent opinions and can have have a thoughtful, respectful discussion.

Mentioned
    169 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by RhettButler View Post
    Great how fans have such divergent opinions and can have have a thoughtful, respectful discussion.
    We have to...
    Otherwise we'll get this thread locked for the 89th time

Mentioned
    161 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by henryeatscereal View Post
    We have to...
    Otherwise we'll get this thread locked for the 89th time
    Only people don't behave properly. Don't think we'll have that issue this time around.

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Been a fan since '95 and fell out of love sometime in 2008. The High End of Low was a huge disappointment and my headspace had radically altered. Anyways... I've been revisiting the albums again recently mostly to laugh at my teenage self. Hearing Manson's discography now feels like a guilty pleasure. I'll probably always check out whatever he releases because the 15 year old me cannot resist.... Here's how I would rank things... From '95-'07 he could do no wrong imo

01 Mechanical Animals (the peak)
    02 Antichrist Superstar (honestly is #1 some days)
    03 Holy Wood (best vocal performance)
    04 Eat Me, Drink Me (seriously underrated goddamnit!!)
    05 The Golden Age of Grotesque (better than I remember)
    06 Portrait of an American Family (dated but has the nostalgia factor)
    07 The Pale Emperor (would have ranked higher if not for the lyrics)
    08 The High End of Low (could have been great if edited)
    09 Born Villain (this album is a real piece of shit)
    Last edited by rampface; 11-15-2016 at 11:05 PM.

Mentioned
    79 Post(s)
    For me,

1. Antichrist Superstar
    2. Portrait of An American Family
    3. Mechanical Animals
    4. Holy Wood
    5. The Pale Emperor
    6. The Golden Age of Grotesque
    7. The High End of Low
    8. Eat Me, Drink Me

I don't think I've listened to Born Villain as I have no memory of hearing that album.

Mentioned
    141 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by thevoid99 View Post
    For me,

1. Antichrist Superstar
    2. Portrait of An American Family
    3. Mechanical Animals
    4. Holy Wood
    5. The Pale Emperor
    6. The Golden Age of Grotesque
    7. The High End of Low
    8. Eat Me, Drink Me

I don't think I've listened to Born Villain as I have no memory of hearing that album.
    Switch #1 and #3 and this list is perfect. I'd squeeze Born Villain in right under The Pale Emperor.

Mentioned
    169 Post(s)
    I like "Born Villain"; i mean it's no masterpiece or anything but it's a decent album, i heard the whole thing recently and it's not as bad as i remember (but it's not essential listening either...)

Mentioned
    85 Post(s)
    01 ACSS
    02 MA
    03 HW
    04 SLC (This thing belongs in Manson lists. It's more than a remix EP, it's a drug-addled experience.)
    05 POAAF
    06 TPE
    07 GOAG
    08 THEOL
    09 BV
    10 EMDM

Mentioned
    53 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Shadaloo View Post
    SLC (This thing belongs in Manson lists. It's more than a remix EP, it's a drug-addled experience.)
    Agreed, but it doesn't have to be considered "more than a remix EP." That's what it is, man. If you like it so much it deserves to be in your rank, just include it! If I thought NIN had a remix release as strong as one of the albums, I'd do the same – they almost got there with Things Falling Apart.

Mentioned
    85 Post(s)
    Oh, I'd say it absolutely does. It stands apart from a straight remix work like TFA or YZR, far as I'm concerned. Smells Like Children has four straight remixes, a complete rerecording of Dope Hat, an acoustic live song, three covers, and a bunch of weird audio experiments and skits. That's why calling it a remix EP bugs me; it kinda discredits everything else on there, and clocking in at nearly an hour it's way longer than your average EP, too.

If it was just one cover on there and a bunch of remixes like TFA, I'd be calling it a remix album, sure, but it feels like more than that to me. Not necessarily an album, not a cover or remix work but....just an hour of weird, nicely varied, drug-fueled goodness. People toss Broken up on NIN lists all the time, and rightfully so; same scenario applies here for me.

Mentioned
    30 Post(s)
    Been a fan of Mechanical Animals album for years.. Never could get into Antichrist Superstar even though I loved The Beautiful People..in 1996 my sister was the Antichrist Superstar fan and I was the Downward Spiral fan. but for some reason I started listening to Antichrist Superstar again and it's really strong. I'd say it's better than Mechanical Animals.

Manson sounds like a real monster on this one. and I like the satanic cryptic lyrics.
    Last edited by cashpiles (closed); 12-04-2016 at 08:40 PM.