Page 104 of 135 FirstFirst ... 4 54 94 102 103 104 105 106 114 ... LastLast
Results 3,091 to 3,120 of 4043

Thread: Marilyn Manson

Mentioned
    280 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Helpmeiaminhell View Post
    I would say not since Holywood era......high end of low era he was already coked out of his skull and falling off stages on a nightly basis
    I mean sure but at least there was some resemblance to theatrics to the stage show. Now he just comes on, stumbles and rolls around for 45 minutes and leaves. SOMETIMES we get a hat.

Mentioned
    161 Post(s)
    I would say not since Holywood era......high end of low era he was already coked out of his skull and falling off stages on a nightly basis
    Quote Originally Posted by AndItKeepsRepeating View Post
    Grotesque era, I last saw them during that era and can vouch for it being a high effort show.
    Quote Originally Posted by tony.parente View Post
    That requires effort. Manson hasn't put effort in a live show since the high end of low era.
    Based on bootleg recordings and pro-shot material, I'd say the 2007/2008 Rape of the World Tour. I always say this but Eat Me, Drink Me was his last cohesive album with thematics, imagery, conceptual ideas and overall focus. He hasn't done it ever since to the same levels. The Pale Emperor comes close but the lyrical content is all over the place on that one.

Mentioned
    733 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by kleiner View Post
    His obvious discomfort is embarrassing, especially since it’s coming from somebody who used to embody confidence in the unconventional...
    sorry to take you out of context, but i especially like this bit.

i wish this cat would just, legitimately not give a fuck, a la, idk, Buzz Melvin, or Alice Cooper, or Iggy Pop. i wish he could just be himself.

perhaps the problem is that his "self" is a fucking pop art production piece, and too much so.

i honestly feel bad for the dude.

Mentioned
    80 Post(s)
    Don't forget that this was also used to promote the Not Another Teen Movie flick in 2001 with actors being in the music video.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by ItsChrisRoss View Post
    Lmao all of you guys who were just bashing him a week ago are now freaking out over the whispers of a possible new album and release date. Love it
    Well I believe this is the first time I have commented on the thread. Just happened to see that listing on Ebay and thought it may arouse some interest on here.

As for Manson - well he was the soundtrack to the latter part of my youth. I like him and the world needs rock stars like him, particularly in this clean cut era. He is the last of a dying breed. OK, so he does too much coke, fucks loads of women, makes crass comments and appears in public and in concert in a fucked up state. Good. He should be unacceptable, he should piss people off, he should leave people with negative opinions of him. He always has. Manson turning into a vegan, drinking mineral water and visiting the gym? No thanks.

People dig too deep and expect too much from the man regarding his relevance and so on. Like another Brian, he's not the messiah, just a very naughty boy.
    Last edited by xfilian; 07-24-2020 at 05:58 AM.

Mentioned
    280 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by xfilian View Post
    Well I believe this is the first time I have commented on the thread. Just happened to see that listing on Ebay and thought it may arouse some interest on here.

As for Manson - well he was the soundtrack to the latter part of my youth. I like him and the world needs rock stars like him, particularly in this clean cut era. He is the last of a dying breed. OK, so he does too much coke, fucks loads of women, makes crass comments and appears in public and in concert in a fucked up state. Good. He should be unacceptable, he should piss people off, he should leave people with negative opinions of him. He always has. Manson turning into a vegan, drinking mineral water and visiting the gym? No thanks.

People dig too deep and expect too much from the man regarding his relevance and so on. Like another Brian, he's not the messiah, just a very naughty boy.
    He’s a moldy twinkie

Mentioned
    33 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by AndItKeepsRepeating View Post

This was the end right here, not the song or video itself because it's a great cover, it was just the last time he was anything resembling the Marilyn Manson that shocked the world in the 90s, the Marilyn Manson who gave performances that actually felt like they meant something. The last time he was culturally relevant.
    Once he put those grills on it was all downhill from there.

Mentioned
    97 Post(s)
    Fun fact, this is his only song and video that has both Twiggy and Skold

Mentioned
    36 Post(s)
    MTV was huge for him in the mid/late 90's in the way it was huge for people like Billy Idol in the 80's. His videos got tons of airplay and he was able to do whatever arty thing he wanted to do in those videos. MTV got to push the whole "Manson is the devil and will scare your parents away" narrative. He played the VMA's 2 YEARS IN A ROW. Only Madonna got that type of treatment. MTV was just as responsible as Trent for bringing Manson to the mainstream. Interesting how once MTV seemed to death spiral to irrelevance around 2004, is also around the time Manson stopped being as relevant in the mainstream....The death of MTV might have affected him more than anybody else

Mentioned
    45 Post(s)
    I remember him hosting MTV icon in 2004 and he was a mess

Mentioned
    19 Post(s)
    I will listen to whatever this dude puts out but my expectations will be forever tempered.

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by xfilian View Post

It's fun to read that because I'm sure that some fitness vegan guy that drinks mineral water would be pissing people more than goth grandpa who can't sing his biggest single without messing up and blaming his bandmates.

Mentioned
    29 Post(s)
    Just re-listened to Killing Strangers. I don't care for the lyrics, but damn I love his voice in this. I like hearing him go all over the place and letting his voice tear up like that. It's cool to hear the imperfections/breaks in a singer's voice.

Mentioned
    122 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by jmtd View Post
    I remember him hosting MTV icon in 2004 and he was a mess
    I could only find him presenting the ICON award to The Cure, is this what you might be thinking about?

Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by eachpassingphase View Post
    Just re-listened to Killing Strangers. I don't care for the lyrics, but damn I love his voice in this. I like hearing him go all over the place and letting his voice tear up like that. It's cool to hear the imperfections/breaks in a singer's voice.
    That's what I love most about The Pale Emperor. Every song has that sort of rawness to it. Hell, they even left in Manson fucking up his own lyrics in
    "Deep Six": at the end of the song, the last time he sings "You wanna know what Zeus said to Narcissus" he very clearly says "narcissist" instead.

As someone that's grown tired of overproduced, let's-take-all-the-human-qualities-out recordings, that album was very refreshing. At least vocally.
    Last edited by wight rabbit; 07-25-2020 at 12:38 AM.

Mentioned
    141 Post(s)
    I stopped looking at this thread a few days ago, because I thought it was all the usual "he's fat. He sucks" but... people are actually having a respectful discussion about Manson now in here? I'm blown away!

Quote Originally Posted by firewlker View Post
    He doesn't even need to do different setlist for every concert of the whole tour, but there's a lot of songs that could be played live like Fundamentally Loathsome, specially at the time Tyler was on live band so there was two guitar on the concerts. But MM STRUGGLES to play Beautiful People, he probably doesn't even do rehearsals, his fans are alienated enough to keep paying to see him playing live drunk and not giving a fuck.
    Yeah, I said a while back he probably just gives whatever backup band he has hired for the new tour the same 10 old songs + whatever 2 new singles he has from the new album he is promoting and tells them to rehearse while he goes on a bender in the back lane, blacks out, vomits, rolls around and passes out til tour time. Then someone grabs him from the alley and throws him on the tour bus. Band is usually tight, but then he opens his mouth.

Just imagine a "cold and black and infinite" type of tour with Manson playing rare gems and mixing them up every night. That would be the day. Won't ever happen though. He has poor work ethic. It's unfortunate too. If he took his work more serious, he'd still be worth checking out on the road. I feel bad for all the teens of today seeing him for the first time and they think the show was amazing.
    Last edited by ManBurning; 07-26-2020 at 02:16 AM.

Mentioned
    36 Post(s)
    It goes back to his managers and tour handlers and even band members to intervene. When the lead singer is fucked out of his skull but brings in money, what is the right thing to do. Should they stop the tour and put the singer in a rehab for a year (thusly losing money they would get off touring) or do they just keep chugging along business as usual. So instead of stopping the tour, they just drag the singer onstage every night and prop them up to slur through 60 minutes and then after the show the singer gets bombed out of his skull and gets dragged back to the hotel room or trailer to pass out. Next day. Wash. Rinse. Repeat....Thats what they did on Scott Weilands last tour and we saw how he ended up. Depeche Mode's 93/94 tour Dave Gahan was an absolute wreck and they just kept touring and touring and touring until he eventually bottomed out after the tour. Phil Anselmo had a heroin OD in the middle of a Pantera tour and was pronounced dead for 3 minutes before being revived. And went back on tour the NEXT DAY. How many Nirvana tours kept plugging along when the band should have been shut down so Kurt could get his shit together. Once the train gets rolling, nobody wants to stop it until its too late......

Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    It goes back to his managers and tour handlers and even band members to intervene. When the lead singer is fucked out of his skull but brings in money, what is the right thing to do. Should they stop the tour and put the singer in a rehab for a year (thusly losing money they would get off touring) or do they just keep chugging along business as usual. So instead of stopping the tour, they just drag the singer onstage every night and prop them up to slur through 60 minutes and then after the show the singer gets bombed out of his skull and gets dragged back to the hotel room or trailer to pass out. Next day. Wash. Rinse. Repeat....Thats what they did on Scott Weilands last tour and we saw how he ended up. Depeche Mode's 93/94 tour Dave Gahan was an absolute wreck and they just kept touring and touring and touring until he eventually bottomed out after the tour. Phil Anselmo had a heroin OD in the middle of a Pantera tour and was pronounced dead for 3 minutes before being revived. And went back on tour the NEXT DAY. How many Nirvana tours kept plugging along when the band should have been shut down so Kurt could get his shit together. Once the train gets rolling, nobody wants to stop it until its too late......
    That's unfortunate... You'd think a smart business decision would be to get help for an artist that is clearly having problems. Wouldn't that yield a better investment in the end?

Mentioned
    19 Post(s)
    Ultimately you can't force someone to get help.

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by ManBurning View Post
    Just imagine a "cold and black and infinite" type of tour with Manson playing rare gems and mixing them up every night. That would be the day. Won't ever happen though. He has poor work ethic. It's unfortunate too. If he took his work more serious, he'd still be worth checking out on the road. I feel bad for all the teens of today seeing him for the first time and they think the show was amazing.
    I remember him saying somewhere between 2009-2010 about doing a three night row playing ACSS, MA and HW. One each night. hahaha.

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Sesquipedalism View Post
    I assumed that came to pass and I missed it. I guess it didn’t?

I would’ve paid the price of admission for “Fundamentally Loathsome” alone. I think my brain filed away in its Illogical Unquestioned Assumptions Center that they played this once and once only during that show?
    Nah, didn't happened but I'll surely pretend it was real on Watchmen timeline.

Mentioned
    141 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by firewlker View Post
    Nah, didn't happened but I'll surely pretend it was real on Watchmen timeline.
    I mean, there's definitely an alternate universe/timeline going on. Don't forget, the studio version of "Born Again" from Holy Wood was recorded live on Feb 14th, 1997... as per the liner notes anyway, lol.

Mentioned
    141 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by katara View Post
    It could easily be an in-studio live recording, like Smashing Pumpkins' XYU.
    Shhhhh. I like my "Alternate Timeline" "Manson has a time machine" theory, lol.

Mentioned
    19 Post(s)

Mentioned
    96 Post(s)
    *trash emoji*

Mentioned
    186 Post(s)
    So was that supposed eBay album title bogus?

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by archive_reports View Post
    a$apchrist superstar

Mentioned
    29 Post(s)
    It's so interesting to me how many hip hop artists are interested in Manson. In the 90's I would have never predicted hearing him repeatedly name dropped in rap songs and performing at hip hop festivals. I have no idea who a$asp ferg is, but I love Kendrick, Travis Scott and JPEGMAFIA and they've all mentioned liking his music at some point or another.

Also, I found this shirt the other day on a store website called Gothic Lamb and it made me smile.

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    The idea of Marilyn Manson as a band was inspired by 2 Live Crew so I'm not surprised

Mentioned
    120 Post(s)
    I am a fan of ASAP Ferg but this will be trasshhhhhh.