Page 91 of 135 FirstFirst ... 41 81 89 90 91 92 93 101 ... LastLast
Results 2,701 to 2,730 of 4043

Thread: Marilyn Manson

Mentioned
    85 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Halo Infinity View Post
    For some reason, I've always thought that the Fear Factory and Radiohead threads could've gotten as much attention as the Marilyn Manson thread. (But of course, not for the same reasons.)

That thought just always stuck with me, and I finally wanted to share it here.

And to get back on topic, I like seeing more appreciation from Holy Wood and The Golden Age of Grotesque around here. Granted, I see why Portrait of an American Family, Smells Like Children, Antichrist Superstar and Mechanical Animals are often the first and most lauded mentioned favorites though. At the same time however, I still can't recommend Holy Wood and The Golden Age of Grotesque enough.

I also like that seeing Eat Me, Drink Me gain more appreciation as well. I'm guessing it's just one of those albums that eventually grows on you. And in spite of The High End of Low being a mess, that just clicked with me so much quicker.
    Radiohead get a lot of attention, I'd say. It's just that Manson and NIN are two artists whose fanbases are inexorably intertwined. There's always overlap so he'll always be a topic of discussion, be it praise or derision.

Fear Factory though...much as I still give their albums a loyalty pick-up with every new release, I have to admit they've become largely repetitive. Never topped Demanufacture or Obsolete. Every time they try to branch out their sound they get shat on and walk it back to making Demanufacture v.35386: angrier and screamier and cyber-er. Not to mention the ongoing legal clusterfucks between former and present bandmembers. Not even Dino Cazares seems to know if FF is active or not, last I recall reading.

Anyhoo, anyhoe happen to have the extended Promo version of "Devour" in lossless? I'm compiling an alternate version of THEOL using all the different versions of tracks. Also gonna try and do a bit of an editing patch job, see if I can uncensor Blank and White and put it back out in good quality.

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    I'm looking forward to the new MM album - I hope working with Shooter Jennings will bring out some new sounds and ideas - if he keeps singing about rifles, guns and bullets I'm going to loose my shit. I liked every MM album up until Eat Me Drink Me, The High End of Low had a couple of okay songs, Born Villain had a couple of really good songs I still listen to often, The Pale Emperor didn't do anything for me and Heaven Upside Down was his worst. I hope he still has some good songs in him. I don't think any of my favorite bands put out good solid albums anymore either (MM, Korn, Rammstein, Radiohead, Tool and even recent NIN), so I just check out their latest, save the songs I like and delete the rest. It's nice to have something new to check out each year but it's not like the 90's or 2000's when everybody was releasing exciting new albums - that or I need to move on to some new bands...

Mentioned
    166 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Shadaloo View Post
    Radiohead get a lot of attention, I'd say. It's just that Manson and NIN are two artists whose fanbases are inexorably intertwined. There's always overlap so he'll always be a topic of discussion, be it praise or derision.
    Oh absolutely. I was also about to include Tori Amos in the mix as well, but Nine Inch Nails and Marilyn Manson had a much greater history and involvement with each other. I just wanted to indulge this thought once more and thank you for understanding where I'm coming from. Sometimes I like to think of the fan-bases crossing over and how some albums seem to compliment each other and also have an overlap between different fan-bases.

But yes, one must absolutely consider the source/demographics. After all, there are times when even the Ministry thread gets more attention than the Metallica and Slayer threads, where that would be impossible to happen at other forums. And by attention, I'm not just referring to post counts and views, but also by how much a thread gets bumped overall across the years. It's also impressive as to how much the Tool thread got bumped in between 10,000 Days and Fear Inoculum.

Quote Originally Posted by Shadaloo View Post
    Fear Factory though...much as I still give their albums a loyalty pick-up with every new release, I have to admit they've become largely repetitive. Never topped Demanufacture or Obsolete. Every time they try to branch out their sound they get shat on and walk it back to making Demanufacture v.35386: angrier and screamier and cyber-er. Not to mention the ongoing legal clusterfucks between former and present bandmembers. Not even Dino Cazares seems to know if FF is active or not, last I recall reading.
    As somebody that fell off after Transgression, I see what you mean. I actually haven't been following Fear Factory in quite some time after getting hooked on Ministry and Killing Joke. However, I have come to appreciate Mechanize and Genexus. (I've been jumping around on the later releases, but yet to give them more of a proper listen. I also often try to see what sticks first and Mechanize and Genexus stuck with me more than The Industrialist did up my first few listens.)

Anyway, no complaints yet again either. Just mere observations, as I was pondering how one that would've say, loved Antichrist Superstar and Mechanical Animals would've also most likely loved Demanufacture, Obsolete, The Bends and OK Computer. (And if I remember correctly, Marilyn Manson himself also being a fan of both bands.)

Parallels between musicians and other interests have always interested me as you can see. (Not to say that always makes them so, but I always enjoyed doing that.)
    Last edited by Halo Infinity; 01-03-2020 at 12:53 AM.

Mentioned
    141 Post(s)

Mentioned
    96 Post(s)
    Sweet! Nirvana reunion!

Mentioned
    141 Post(s)
    According to the instagram clip I just saw of tonight, Manson played Dried up, tied and dead to the world at tonights... event. Whatever the hell he was invited to above, lol.
    And... he's actually PLAYING guitar himself as well while singing. Honestly, it wasn't half bad. That's kind of a deep cut too. Wish he'd bust out more deep cuts than the same 12 garbage songs he "plays" over and over.

Quote Originally Posted by october_midnight View Post
    Sweet! Nirvana reunion!
    And yep. Saw clips of Dave on Drums and St. Vincent singing Nirvana songs. I think it was beck on guitar too. Pretty cool.

Mentioned
    97 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by ManBurning View Post
    According to the instagram clip I just saw of tonight, Manson played Dried up, tied and dead to the world at tonights... event. Whatever the hell he was invited to above, lol.
    And... he's actually PLAYING guitar himself as well while singing.
    He always played extra guitar on Dried Up live, even with the past lineups. But I can't actually come up with any other song like this. Acoustic guitar on In the Shadow... on GGG tour, maybe?

Mentioned
    122 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by ManBurning View Post
    And... he's actually PLAYING guitar himself as well while singing. Honestly, it wasn't half bad. That's kind of a deep cut too. Wish he'd bust out more deep cuts than the same 12 garbage songs he "plays" over and over.

And yep. Saw clips of Dave on Drums and St. Vincent singing Nirvana songs. I think it was beck on guitar too. Pretty cool.
    Where did you see the clips? Mind posting them?

Mentioned
    141 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by NotoriousTIMP View Post
    Where did you see the clips? Mind posting them?
    Saw them on instagram last night. Had to filter through hundreds and hundreds of "happy birthday Manson" posts just now from the last few hours to find this lol...

Here's the Clip of him playing guitar on dried up...
    https://www.instagram.com/p/B67dFG0B..._web_copy_link

and here are some clips of Nirvana with ST. Vincent, Beck and Violet Grohl: (Guess these should go in the Nirvana thread and not here... but it was from the same show so. *shrugs*)
    https://www.instagram.com/p/B68v4z9o..._web_copy_link

https://www.instagram.com/p/B68pyv_B..._web_copy_link

Mentioned
    35 Post(s)
    Weird. That's the only time I've seen him hold a guitar since the Gave Up video.

Mentioned
    49 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by sonic_discord View Post
    Weird. That's the only time I've seen him hold a guitar since the Gave Up video.
    He used to play but during that song back in the ACSS tour.

Mentioned
    24 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by fillow View Post
    He always played extra guitar on Dried Up live, even with the past lineups. But I can't actually come up with any other song like this. Acoustic guitar on In the Shadow... on GGG tour, maybe?
    Down in the Park (not sure about 94, but 95 deffo), RnRN (‘98-99), ItSotVoD (memory is hazy on that tho)

Mentioned
    141 Post(s)
    It does look very strange him on stage with a guitar, I agree with that. Surprised he wasn't sloshed enough that he knew how to play it.

Mentioned
    33 Post(s)
    He "played" a bit during one of the songs off Born Villain during that tour. I put played in quotes because I'm not convinced there was actually any sound coming out of his guitar.

After actually watching the video, there definitely is sound coming out of the guitar.... but no actual notes
    Last edited by imail724; 01-06-2020 at 10:54 AM.

Mentioned
    187 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by imail724 View Post
    I put played in quotes because I'm not convinced there was actually any sound coming out of his guitar.
    lmao

Mentioned
    141 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by imail724 View Post
    He "played" a bit during one of the songs off Born Villain during that tour. I put played in quotes because I'm not convinced there was actually any sound coming out of his guitar.

What a terrible song!

Mentioned
    49 Post(s)
    Pistol Whipped is his all time worst song. Just sooooo bad!

Mentioned
    22 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by SM Rollinger View Post
    Agreed. Nothing about that song is redeemable.

Mentioned
    280 Post(s)
    Idk, Jesus Crisis takes that title for me.

Mentioned
    96 Post(s)
    Random thought. While the videos, performances, and pretty much everything else about it was of course a dumpster fire...some of the photography for TPE era is IMO pretty rad.

Can't lie, it's a dope picture.

Mentioned
    49 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by october_midnight View Post
    Random thought. While the videos, performances, and pretty much everything else about it was of course a dumpster fire...some of the photography for TPE era is IMO pretty rad.

Can't lie, it's a dope picture.
    Agreeded, wasn't that the same guy the did Bad Witch too?

Mentioned
    96 Post(s)
    Agreeded, wasn't that the same guy the did Bad Witch too?
    I think so too? Nicholas Alan Cope.

Mentioned
    280 Post(s)
    Yeah usually everything that Manson didn't actually do himself in regarding the modern day output is pretty decent haha

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    I preordered "The End" and just got reimbursed.
    Strange.

Mentioned
    12 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by eluus View Post
    I preordered "The End" and just got reimbursed.
    Strange.
    I had added it to my Apple Music library when it came out, but I didn't download it to my iPod. It still shows up with the artwork but it's unplayable. Not sure if downloading it would've let me still listen to it, but also not sure I ever want to listen to it again lol.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    I received an email, the picture disc has been cancelled. Well, the song is not on youtube anymore so maybe there was a copyright problem !

Mentioned
    49 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by eluus View Post
    I received an email, the picture disc has been cancelled. Well, the song is not on youtube anymore so maybe there was a copyright problem !
    That's what I'm thinking too.

Mentioned
    187 Post(s)
    I’ve always wondered why he and Till seem to be so tight friendship-wise. They’re such different people with such different work ethics and attitudes. I hope it just comes down to the fact that they’re both Capricorns.

Mentioned
    141 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Erneuert View Post
    I’ve always wondered why he and Till seem to be so tight friendship-wise. They’re such different people with such different work ethics and attitudes. I hope it just comes down to the fact that they’re both Capricorns.
    Oh yeah, they're born a day apart from each other. Actually, when all these "Happy birthday's" we're going around last week for the 2 of them, I noticed that Peter Steele started getting Happy Birthday's too (for some reason...) and his B-day was the exact same date as Till's. Fascinating that all your fav artists are basically born on the same date... well, I don't think you care about Manson so much, but Till and Peter Steele are like your gods, lol.

I noticed generally that TONS of musicians are born at end of Nov/Dec/Jan for some reason. My social media feeds were going apeshit the last few weeks with "happy birthday to this rockstar, and happy birthday to that one" day after day for weeks. It's like they're all born this time of the year. Just a weird observation I made. Guess there is a connection between being a musician and being born this time of the year?

Mentioned
    187 Post(s)
    You know me well, haha.