Page 74 of 135 FirstFirst ... 24 64 72 73 74 75 76 84 124 ... LastLast
Results 2,191 to 2,220 of 4043

Thread: Marilyn Manson

Mentioned
    19 Post(s)
    Gil Sharone is amazing.

Mentioned
    28 Post(s)
    Haven't Gil and Rani Sharone generally always been hired hands? Isn't that the life of a session musician?

Mentioned
    120 Post(s)

skip to 1:20. 2019 Manson doesn't deserve Gil anyway.

Mentioned
    186 Post(s)
    I’m picturing Gil the car salesman from The Simpsons.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Gil and TB was the best thing to happen to Manson in a long time ,lets hope Shooter Jennings can manage to do something good ,Manson needs talented people around him or will get another Born Villain

Mentioned
    141 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by maniac View Post
    Gil and TB was the best thing to happen to Manson in a long time ,lets hope Shooter Jennings can manage to do something good ,Manson needs talented people around him or will get another Born Villain
    Heaven Upside Down isn't exactly anything to praise either, and he had the help of Tyler with that one. I may go as far as saying that might be his worst record of them all, and he has some stinkers.

Mentioned
    49 Post(s)
    I think TPE was just a fluke...

Mentioned
    22 Post(s)
    I'm still firm on this: the music has always been fine. I could listen to the entire discography as instrumentals and have a great time. It's the lyrics and vocal work that has been lacking, and the only person to blame for that is Marilyn.

Mentioned
    49 Post(s)
    Yeah even at it's lowest, it's never been "terrible" music wise. Bland and uninspired at times, but not bad though.

The lyrics have gone from lazy to awful to outright cringe worthy at times...

Last edited by SM Rollinger; 04-02-2019 at 11:43 AM.

Mentioned
    141 Post(s)
    Edit: wrong thread lol.

Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by SM Rollinger View Post
    Yeah even at it's lowest, it's never been "terrible" music wise. Bland and uninspired at times, but not bad though.

The lyrics have gone from lazy to awful to outright cringe worthy at times...

A good example of that for me is Jesus Crisis - musically I really enjoy it, lyrically/vocally though? Well...……..

Mentioned
    166 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Demogorgon View Post
    I'm still firm on this: the music has always been fine. I could listen to the entire discography as instrumentals and have a great time. It's the lyrics and vocal work that has been lacking, and the only person to blame for that is Marilyn.
    As somebody that actually likes The High End of Low, The Pale Emperor and Heaven Upside Down, lyrics and all, I'm with you on this all the way.

Even with Eat Me, Drink Me and Born Villain, I also just focused on the instrumentals alone and thought to myself, there's no way that each and every single minute and second of this is actually horrible. Different strokes for different folks and all too, but the instrumentals alone have always held up for me even when I also wasn't feeling the lyrics as much. This isn't just from being a long-time fan either, but I still see and accept how vocals and lyrics can clearly ruin it for some, big time.

It's kind of like how there are people out there that have admitted that they would actually give Limp Bizkit a chance, or even actually like Limp Bizkit if it wasn't for Fred Durst. They found the instrumentals to be decent if not necessarily good/excellent, but the vocals and lyrics just dumped all over whatever instrumentals they would've otherwise appreciated or probably even loved.

As for me, I usually don't really mind lyrics that much, but I see why they would matter and even I have my moments where I'm just not into the lyrics that much and it also sometimes negatively effects the flow for me as well.

I've also just taken that as Marilyn Manson just occasionally going through the motions as just another day at the office from being jaded, and not to make excuses for it either, since that leads to inevitable flops and disappointments among lots of fans depending on who you speak to, but that's how I always took it.
    Last edited by Halo Infinity; 04-07-2019 at 12:14 PM.

Mentioned
    32 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by october_midnight View Post
    Didn't wanna be another hired hand? No way.

Also...there was a guy in the band named Gil Sharone?
    Probably doesn't want to be associated with a band who sometime soon are likely about to be at the centre of another metoo controversy

Mentioned
    33 Post(s)
    TGAOG has grown on me so much over the years. Maybe it's because everything since has been so much worse (except TPE), but I feel like everything I initially hated about the album, I get now. Everytime a song off it comes up on shuffle I have to crank it. It's just a different kind of love for that album than i have for the first 4 records. It's a mindless fun record done right.

Mentioned
    22 Post(s)
    Golden Age wasn't bad, honestly. I call Holywood the last truly great Manson album, but Golden Age was the last truly GOOD album. His voice wasn't shot, it was clever, and it was heavy. I liked songs here and there from most everything that followed to varying degrees, but Golden Age was the last album I can say i still like around half of the songs or more. It was dumb heavy mosh rock that doesn't take itself too seriously.

Mentioned
    169 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Disassociative View Post
    A good example of that for me is Jesus Crisis - musically I really enjoy it, lyrically/vocally though? Well...……..
    To me is "Pistol Whipped", "Say 10" and "Mobscene", love the music, but the lyrics are really dumb...

Mentioned
    22 Post(s)
    Pistol Whipped is one of the absolute worst. Even WOW is better than Pistol Whipped. Such a stupid song. I get it's trying to be shocking, but it falls soooooooo flat. The only songs I really like from Heaven Upside Down are the title track, Blood Honey, and Kill For Me is catchy. Dumb, but catchy.

Mentioned
    552 Post(s)
    his new lyrics are so bad that it makes you ashamed to admit that you actually thought he had some great songs, lyrically, in the past. Stuff that just worked really well with the music, and wasn't supposed to be some dissectible bit of gloomy poetry or some pretentious shit. There's some viscerally grabbing lyrical content in songs like Mr Superstar and Coma White; the hooks to those songs have some cutting power to them.

I just feel awkward when I hear his newer lyrics... like that skit from the UK version of the office... that's how I feel.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Man, I swear to fuck I'm the only person who really liked Born Villain? It was the first Manson album I enjoyed since Golden Age (which was a good album but not legendary like his previous stuff).

I feel like I should try to give his stuff after Golden Age a better chance, but it tends to just bore or piss me off. Perhaps I'm missing something but I kind of doubt it.

Mentioned
    49 Post(s)
    Morlinn massoob

Mentioned
    169 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Tabris View Post
    Man, I swear to fuck I'm the only person who really liked Born Villain? It was the first Manson album I enjoyed since Golden Age (which was a good album but not legendary like his previous stuff).
    "Born Villain" is an improvement from the albums that came after GAoG, but it still falls short; i like many songs from there ("Hey Cruel World", "Slo-Mo-Tion", "The Gardener", even the "You're so vain" cover...), but the album has some stinkers too.
    The songs got better in "The Pale Emperor", it seemed he was on the right track again, then "Heaven Upside Down" happened...

Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Not to get defensive here or anything, but name a band who has produced over 100 original songs without a few shitters??? I've tried to pen songs myself and it doesn't seem easy to write one let alone a hundred.

I don't disagree with the statement that Pistol Whipped and Jesus Crisis are pretty terrible lyrics...but why do people moan about it? Just don't listen to them.

Like, NIN is my favorite band, I can even say objectively that some of Trent's lyrics are as bad some of Manson's worst.

Getting Smaller? Everything? Even some of the PHM and TDS lyrics are cringe as hell.

What does bug me about Manson is how he comes accross as a .... dopey clown .... in interviews. Like the one with Rob Zombie from the other day. Just talks about himself and repeats the same stupid jokes he's used in past interviews. He used to come across so articulate.

Mentioned
    49 Post(s)
    What's the all time worst though?

Pistol Whipped I think takes it but WOW is pretty shit-tacular though...

Mentioned
    186 Post(s)
    Morlinn massoob
    My thoughts exactly.

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    I really liked Born Villain too, probably my favourite Manson album post Golden Age of Grotesque. Having 4 favourites on an album like Hey Cruel World, No Reflection, Overneath the Path of Misery and Slo-Mo-Tion, plus a couple of okay songs is a good album to me. Sure there are a few bad songs on there, but these days I keep the best songs from an album on my playlists and delete the rest, never to listen to the bad songs again. The Pale Emperor was well done, but I didn't keep very many songs from it - just wasn't into that one. Heaven Upside Down was even worse. Born Villain > The latest 3 NIN EP's.

Mentioned
    33 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by henryeatscereal View Post
    "Born Villain" is an improvement from the albums that came after GAoG, but it still falls short; i like many songs from there ("Hey Cruel World", "Slo-Mo-Tion", "The Gardener", even the "You're so vain" cover...), but the album has some stinkers too.
    The songs got better in "The Pale Emperor", it seemed he was on the right track again, then "Heaven Upside Down" happened...
    I agree with all of this.

Mentioned
    33 Post(s)
    What's the all time worst though?

Pistol Whipped I think takes it but WOW is pretty shit-tacular though...
    Definitely something off of either EMDM or THEOL. Those are the only 2 albums I've actually deleted tracks from off my phone.

Mentioned
    251 Post(s)
    I would argue all of the cringier heartbreak songs from EMDM and THEOL are no worse lyrically than Speed of Pain or Fundamentally Loathesome. “I wish I could sleep but there’s a knife in my back for every day that I’ve known you,” really? Maybe the opening verse of Into the Fire is worse but that song also has the only great vocals out of him on the whole album. I don’t think Manson’s lyrics were ever that incredible on paper, at best he had strong imagery and impassioned delivery and that went a long way to make it stand out.

I think once he ran out of things to say and he fell ass-deep into endless puns the well started running dry and now he has this bizarre obsession with seeming “tough” which is nothing short of hilarious. He’s gonna ramble about cocaine, pussy and Jesus in every song until he dies at this point. He had nothing interesting to say since Columbine came along and broke his brain forever and say what you want about stuff like Eat Me Drink Me’s lyrics (which are definitely not flawless by any means) but at least nothing on it was as vapidly desperate to shock someone politically/religiously and failing miserably like Blank and White or Armawhofuckingcaresgedon. Those songs feel designed to exclusively cater to the weird crowd of people who think they’re somehow smart and enlightened for listening to someone who’s sold millions of albums.

I felt like everything on Heaven Upside Down was painfully banal. It’s like he used Marilyn Manson mad libs to write it. It sounds like what someone who’s never actually heard an album of his probably thinks an album of his sounds. Just bland, uninteresting, bored-sounding. Pale Emperor felt like he caught some sort of renewed inspiration but HUD feels like a lazy and obligatory excuse to tour.
    Last edited by implanted_microchip; 04-10-2019 at 09:57 AM.

Mentioned
    141 Post(s)

I feel like I should try to give his stuff after Golden Age a better chance, but it tends to just bore or piss me off. Perhaps I'm missing something but I kind of doubt it.
    Nah, I like Born Villain as well. Record gets shit on a lot, but I really don't see why. I think it's worlds better than Heaven Upside down. I think "Heaven" might very well be his worst record.

As for worst songs? Oh boy...
    -They said that Hell is not hot
    -Just a car crash away
    -Heart-Shaped Glasses (good god. trying listening to this in 2019. It's TERRIBLE. What was he thinking)
    -Are you the rabbit? (This might be a good contender for his worst song ever. Between this and "WOW" it's a hard toss up)
    -WOW
    -Revelation #12
    -Tattooed in Reverse (Lyrics are sooo stupid)
    -We know where you fucking live (Man, I forgot this song existed until now... I'm looking up a track listing of Manson songs for this list here. I take back what I said about the songs above, this might be his worst song)
    -Say10
    -je$u$ cri$i$

Man, That heaven record *IS* his worst. What the hell happened... Just thinking of some of these Heaven upside down songs that I haven't listened to in forever makes me appreciate the shitty tracks from "Eat Me".

In other news: His new record with shooter jennings is nearly half complete already. https://loudwire.com/marilyn-manson-...bum-half-done/

Mentioned
    169 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by voidnz View Post
    Not to get defensive here or anything, but name a band who has produced over 100 original songs without a few shitters??? I've tried to pen songs myself and it doesn't seem easy to write one let alone a hundred.

I don't disagree with the statement that Pistol Whipped and Jesus Crisis are pretty terrible lyrics...but why do people moan about it? Just don't listen to them.
    Well that's the thing, i do like to listen to "Pistol Whipped", i think the music is badass, but the lyrics are stupid; it's a "double bond" kind of thing: You love it and you hate it...
    It's like Manson "recicles" all his great ideas with lamer results:

- Song about guns: Check
    - Falic references: Check
    - "Controversial" lyrics: Check

But the song sounds tired and dumb, instead of sounding clever and cool, if i have the album on i always listen to it, but i have to ignore the lyrics in order to enjoy it!