Thread: Marilyn Manson

Mentioned
    161 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Krazy View Post
    Hot PISS take: TPE fucking sucks.
    Fixed it.

Mentioned
    36 Post(s)
    Anyone over age 30 who still goes to see Manson and buys his records, are similar to people over age 30 in the mid to late 90s who would say nice things about KISS....Its almost more like loyalty to some band you had a hard-on for in your tween/teen years than actually following them for their musicianship and artistry....I remember in the mid 90s when I was in my teens and Trent or Phil Anselmo would wax poetic about KISS and I thought they were fucking insane. Now I see they were just remembering their teen years and KISS was sentimental for them. Nobody in their right mind over age 30 would get a KISS record for the first time. Their fanbase was just people being sentimental...Thats basically what Manson has become. I think most of his fans are just people who are nostalgic for him helping them through their teen angst years of the 1990s...Same as most Korn fans....Personally during my teen angst years of the 90s, Phil Anselmo helped me through it instead of Korn or Manson...And I wonder if thats why I still have some odd loyalty to Phil even though he hasnt done fuck all in 20 years...but thats a topic for another thread

Mentioned
    120 Post(s)
    Phil has put out plenty of good to great material since Pantera broke up. Superjoint's early stuff is really good, I've liked all the Down material...even the newest EP's from a few years ago. His current band Scour is solid too. Sure, none of this has made him a huge rock star again, but it is relatively diverse stuff and has alot of integrity for an aging metal legend. The newest Superjoint is the only real miss I can think of.

Mentioned
    161 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by bobbie solo View Post
    Phil has put out plenty of good to great material since Pantera broke up. Superjoint's early stuff is really good, I've liked all the Down material...even the newest EP's from a few years ago. His current band Scour is solid too. Sure, none of this has made him a huge rock star again, but it is relatively diverse stuff and has alot of integrity for an aging metal legend. The newest Superjoint is the only real miss I can think of.
    Yeah I scoffed and laughed when I read that too.

Mentioned
    33 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Krazy View Post
    Hot take: TPE fucking sucks. Worst post HW release IMHO. Take that jazzy crap to the dumpster, it sounded dumb (musically) coming from him.
    You're entitled to your opinion, and I respect you speaking your mind, but you're 100% objectively wrong.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by ManBurning View Post
    They're both washed up hasbeens that haven't made a good record in nearly 20 years.

1998, was the last time both of them were on top of their game. After hellbilly deluxe, zombie went downhill fast. If it wasn't for Rob having his life more together and the film side of his career still going, I'd say Manson has the upper hand musically, and that's really not saying much. But Manson can still made a decent studio record if he tried, proof of that is with The Pale Emperor. I haven't been able to listen to anything zombie has released in God knows how long... sick bubble gum??? Everyone's fucking in a UFO?? Hahahaha....
    I'm not going to lie. Zombie's out put can be hit or miss. But I've certainly enjoyed some of his music post 1998. Educated Horses was a pretty good album (last time I checked).

Mentioned
    75 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by imail724 View Post
    You're entitled to your opinion, and I respect you speaking your mind, but you're 100% objectively wrong.
    Well, that makes no sense.

A good day to you too, sir.

Mentioned
    97 Post(s)
    People praising the late MM albums and dissing late Zombie ones? Wow, I did not expect that at all from this board.
    I'd take Electric Warlock, HB#2 and Venomous Rat over TPE, BV and HUD any day.

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by fillow View Post
    People praising the late MM albums and dissing late Zombie ones? Wow, I did not expect that at all from this board.
    I'd take Electric Warlock, HB#2 and Venomous Rat over TPE, BV and HUD any day.
    I think both have been rather hit or miss. TPE and HB2 are the exceptions. Both of those records are awesome.

Mentioned
    36 Post(s)
    I was thinking about Twiggys rape accuser and then thinking back to Twigs facebook page around 2010, when he had a photo album of Miley Cyrus circa 2007 selfie myspace pics where she was in bikinis and skimpy outfits (and musta been 14 or 15 years old) and Twiggy had the caption "mmmmmmmm" under the pics.......That was a red herring

Mentioned
    65 Post(s)
    gross.

Mentioned
    122 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Helpmeiaminhell View Post
    I was thinking about Twiggys rape accuser and then thinking back to Twigs facebook page around 2010, when he had a photo album of Miley Cyrus circa 2007 selfie myspace pics where she was in bikinis and skimpy outfits (and musta been 14 or 15 years old) and Twiggy had the caption "mmmmmmmm" under the pics.......That was a red herring
    seriously? ugh...

Mentioned
    36 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by bobbie solo View Post
    The 2nd Down album (2002) was excellent. So I'll say its been 16 years since he has done something great, not 20. The first 2 Superjoint albums (2002/2003) were cool but those were written in the mid 90s so I count that as part of his 90s output. The last few Down records are OK but not even close to NOLA or the 2nd album. Illegals are an abortion, as was the last SJR album. Scour was decent. 1992-2002 Phil Anselmo had some amazing shit (Vulgar Display/Far Beyond/Trendkill/The first 2 Down albums/The early SJR stuff)....Since 2003 its been a steady decline. Plus his voice is wrecked these days...i do hold out hope his new solo album is going to be good. The one he claims is all this lo fi acoustic stuff which I have been waiting for him to do forever. A whole album of songs like "Southern Man I Am" and "Where I'm Going". Enough of this grindcore shit he has been doing for the last 7 years

Mentioned
    32 Post(s)
    Not keen on any philcore since down 3

BUT

I saw the illegals do a load of pantera covers in a tent in France a few years back, so I forgive him

Um... Manson is in the third pantera home video

Mentioned
    10 Post(s)
    If you're going to cover a Beatles song, you had better fucking kill it. RZ and MM failed.

Helter Skelter, to me, seems a bit cheesy for them to cover because picking this song is too easy when you're a shock rock band; like ya lets take the song thats associated with Charles Manson, his murderous brainwashed girls and the slaughter of innocent humans. I dono, maybe I am getting old. Yes I know TR and Manson wrote songs in the actual "manson house"....

Additionally their version/cover is meh. Like let's get the tabs, lyrics, tempo, and lets change things by turning the overdrive to 10. Go.

I'm a huge Beatles fan so I was expecting a bit more creativity. Hand me the rights and I'd fucking own it.

Mentioned
    55 Post(s)

Manson already did a better cover of this with the old band.

There is a comment left by Daisy

Mentioned
    120 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Helpmeiaminhell View Post
    1992-2002 Phil Anselmo had some amazing shit (Vulgar Display/Far Beyond/Trendkill/The first 2 Down albums/The early SJR stuff)....
    His appearance here is amazing. The breakdown at the end makes me want to suffocate baby koalas.

Last edited by bobbie solo; 07-26-2018 at 03:23 PM.

Mentioned
    10 Post(s)

Marilyn Manson

My brother is in Toronto catching the show, just texted me saying that Manson bailed tonight! Found this video of a random dude announcing it.

https://twitter.com/rockamaniac00/st...820607489?s=21

Sucks for folks that went! Apparently Zombie will be playing an extended set.
    Last edited by Callahan; 07-26-2018 at 07:50 PM.

Mentioned
    65 Post(s)
    words cannot express just how much i hate this sorry excuse for a band anymore. even the nostalgia element is totally gone now. and i resent myself for buying the music, paying for shows, i even resent spending time at the free private show i saw in 2008.

goodbye forever, brian. you suck. go to your beverly hills mansion and please disappear for the foreseeable future. also get help (you won't).
    Last edited by kel; 07-26-2018 at 08:44 PM.

Mentioned
    253 Post(s)
    Christ I hope he didn't overdose.

Mentioned
    733 Post(s)
    yeah that's not good. AIC pulled out of BOTH times i went to see them and that didn't turn out good.

Mentioned
    75 Post(s)
    If he OD’ed Zombie would’ve probably canceled his set too.

Probably just too fucked up (more than normal, anyways) to even get on stage tonight.

Mentioned
    85 Post(s)
    Try as I might it's very hard for me to pin down the exact moment when this stopped being the same band I grew up loving. But I know that at the very least it probably hasn't existed since 2009, if I'm being generous. Everything afterwards, good or bad, just has little to nothing to do with what came before to me. That includes whatever the hell's happening backstage tonight.

But hey, I hope he's allright.

Mentioned
    141 Post(s)
    I didn't realize it was LITERALLY a last minute/split second cancellation. The stage was all setup and everything. Someone came out to say Manson will not be preforming after everything had already been setup. This video says there was some sort of a meet and greet before the show as well and that he seemed fine. Play the video to see a video of the announcement that the show was being cancelled and can get a refund if you were there JUST to see MM and left immediately.

Every time I see this thread bumped or something in the news about him, I'm always bracing myself for it being an announcement of his death. I know that's a harsh thing to say, but it wouldn't surprise me. The guy does not take care of himself. He honestly needs to take a couple years off to try and pull himself together or he's gonna end up like Scott Weiland. I'm shocked he made it this far to be honest.
    Last edited by ManBurning; 07-27-2018 at 01:33 AM.

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Shadaloo View Post
    Try as I might it's very hard for me to pin down the exact moment when this stopped being the same band I grew up loving. But I know that at the very least it probably hasn't existed since 2009, if I'm being generous. Everything afterwards, good or bad, just has little to nothing to do with what came before to me. That includes whatever the hell's happening backstage tonight.

But hey, I hope he's allright.
    Rumor has it, he was too intoxicated to perform (comment from someone on the already linked twitter in one of the comments above). But, I sorta take that with a grain of salt. It seems strange (to me) that Zombie would bother playing something like Sweet Dreams if he felt Manson was being a bitch/diva/or too drunk to perform. For all we know Manson got the shits from the backstage catering. Either way, it isn't good. However, if I was at that show I would have been disappointed, but then again, getting like 18 songs of Zombie isn't such a bad deal either. He's another one of these artists that seems (over the years) to cap out his setlist around 12/14 songs.

Anyway, I think this band stopped being the band I loved just prior to the release of EMDM. Yes, it is a underrated record but it also was the record that ushered in this 'new Manson' that I cannot get on the same page with. Like at all. The switch was turned off somewhere after Von Tease left him or he left her. But yeah, I am with you on this ins't the band I loved when I was a kid. But is is great to see John 5 and Ginger Fish are still fn awesome at what they do.

Mentioned
    161 Post(s)
    All this talk of drug abuse and alcoholism I’d HONESTLY point the finger at a relapse or further trek down that path after Twiggy rejoined the band in 2008. The first real destructive and awful tour cycle started in 2009 with The High End of Low as well. The whole Evan Rachel Wood break up and Twiggy (probably) enabling him he lost his way. Even if you hate the guy (like most that bash him in the thread) you can’t deny that in 2007 and early 2008 with tours along with Eat Me, Drink Me he was consistent. After that is when what we have now started. It’s a shame really. I randomly re-watched the Bill O’Reilly segment he was on and what I seen on there and what we have today is not the same man whatsoever and it is so infuriating. Also goes to prove that substance abuse IS a harmful thing and will reduce anything and anyone to less of themselves.

Mentioned
    10 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Space Suicide View Post
    All this talk of drug abuse and alcoholism I’d HONESTLY point the finger at a relapse or further trek down that path after Twiggy rejoined the band in 2008. The first real destructive and awful tour cycle started in 2009 with The High End of Low as well. The whole Evan Rachel Wood break up and Twiggy (probably) enabling him he lost his way. Even if you hate the guy (like most that bash him in the thread) you can’t deny that in 2007 and early 2008 with tours along with Eat Me, Drink Me he was consistent. After that is when what we have now started. It’s a shame really. I randomly re-watched the Bill O’Reilly segment he was on and what I seen on there and what we have today is not the same man whatsoever and it is so infuriating. Also goes to prove that substance abuse IS a harmful thing and will reduce anything and anyone to less of themselves.
    I'd say go back to 2003-4. That's when the absinthe started flowing, and cocaine was stronger then usual. It also wasn't very great on the LWF/AAG tour when Vrenna was on drums. EMDM was a bit better, but 2nd half of that tour got rowdy when Twiggy returned for the Rape Pt 2 tour. THEOL was probably the most chaotic, and it got a little better for the 2012 BV tour. What a lot of people don't know is that Manson actually curbed a lot of substance use when he teamed up with Tyler and it's stayed that way since. The guy is older and has lived hard, but he's actually using less today then he was a decade ago.

Mentioned
    97 Post(s)
    Are you guys for real?
    Ever heard of shows and tours getting cancelled not because of someone's death? This shit isn't funny at all.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Mentioned
    280 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by motionlessZombie View Post
    I don’t like the flu but the flu likes me