Page 50 of 69 FirstFirst ... 40 48 49 50 51 52 60 ... LastLast
Results 1,471 to 1,500 of 2057

Thread: Marilyn Manson

Mentioned
    13 Post(s)
    Actually, despite me being young when he was around, Ive seen a lot of his videos. I remember watching Sweet Dreams a lot when I was the same age, and it never really freaked me out....which kinda says a lot now, considering how dark my mind is now. My knowledge of Manson in 2000 was only a few songs....I remember Sweet Dreams, The Beautiful People and The Fight Song....I do also remember hearing This Is The New Shit on the radio when that came out later and I very much remember when Less We Forget came out and Personal Jesus was playing a bunch.

Mentioned
    129 Post(s)
    The first time I was exposed to Manson (without seeking him out as a would-be fan) I was 7 or 8 years old and at the local mall's CD store they had displays up and out. Right by the door there was a giant cardboard album display and life size cutout of Manson as Omega from the Mechanical Animals album. Judging by my memory and times aligning, must've been September or October of 1998. I didn't think much of it honestly, more or less was indifferent to what I seen haha! I post this often but it's still so cool:

Last edited by Space Suicide; 12-23-2017 at 06:36 PM.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Kill4me is so good. Bates kills that dancy/bluesy vibe.

Mentioned
    20 Post(s)
    Does anyone know the story behind Long Hard Road Out of Hell? (the song)

All I can find is that it started as a B side from ACSS.

Mentioned
    77 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by SM Rollinger View Post

I remembered it was meant to be this collaboration with Sneaker Pimps for the Spawn soundtrack but there was tension as the only thing from Kelli Dayton was her backing vocals in the song.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by thevoid99 View Post
    I remembered it was meant to be this collaboration with Sneaker Pimps for the Spawn soundtrack but there was tension as the only thing from Kelli Dayton was her backing vocals in the song.

Oh, man. Sneaker Pimps. I love this band so much, but am one of the fans who hates on Kelli Dayton. I was happy hearing they ditched her after the first album. She was the worst (especially the footage I've seen of her singing live) she didn't write any of the songs, and basically was only singing in the band because their label pushed them into it because that was the thing to do at the time.

I don't think anything came of the MM & SP collab but if you ask me it was a bad combination. It should have been Gary Numan & Marilyn Mason.

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    The first 45 seconds of 'Say10' are what I wish the rest of the song was like.

That is all.

Carry on.

As you were.

Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by SM Rollinger View Post

Here is a clip summarizing the beef that ensued between the Manson camp and the Sneaker Pimps:

In terms of the song itself, I believe there are some mentions of its origins in Mansonís book.

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by InsectGod View Post
    Oh, man. Sneaker Pimps. I love this band so much, but am one of the fans who hates on Kelli Dayton. I was happy hearing they ditched her after the first album. She was the worst (especially the footage I've seen of her singing live) she didn't write any of the songs, and basically was only singing in the band because their label pushed them into it because that was the thing to do at the time.

I don't think anything came of the MM & SP collab but if you ask me it was a bad combination. It should have been Gary Numan & Marilyn Mason.
    Splinter really is a fantastic album, as is most of everything Chris Corner has done as his IAMX moniker. It's too bad that 'collaboration' ended up in hard feelings; I love that song very much but it does very much sound 100% like a Manson song.

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    New comment from Manson about letting Twiggy go, kinda states what we all already knew: the musical relationship between the two hasn't been that good for quite a few years. In other words, Tyler Bates and Manson have been writing all the new music and performing on the records. Twiggy hasn't participated in years (again, we all know this because we are all dorks who read the credits in album notes). So, not at all surprising. He goes on to be cryptic about negative energy and stuff, but whatever.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Today is Manson's birthday. He turns 49 today. Happy birthday.

Mentioned
    8 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by renton44 View Post
    New comment from Manson about letting Twiggy go, kinda states what we all already knew: the musical relationship between the two hasn't been that good for quite a few years. In other words, Tyler Bates and Manson have been writing all the new music and performing on the records. Twiggy hasn't participated in years (again, we all know this because we are all dorks who read the credits in album notes). So, not at all surprising. He goes on to be cryptic about negative energy and stuff, but whatever.
    Source? I'm not doubting you, I'd like to read the whole statement/comment/whatever. it sounds like a mildly interesting read.

Mentioned
    77 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Demogorgon View Post
    Source? I'm not doubting you, I'd like to read the whole statement/comment/whatever. it sounds like a mildly interesting read.
    I saw the article floating around one of the music news sites as well. I don't remember which one, but it was very brief.

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Time to listen to every song of theirs that references the number 15.

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Demogorgon View Post
    Apparently the original interview was on Kerrang, but here is what matters:

http://www.nme.com/news/music/marily...ations-2204451

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Eat Me, Drink Me is not as bad as I remember

Mentioned
    16 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Kulerage View Post
    Eat Me, Drink Me is not as bad as I remember
    The title track is amazing!

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    EMDM should be considered as good or better than The Pale Emperor and Heaven Upside Down. Not sure why people hate it. Skold is more than competent especially having to fill John 5's shoes.

Mentioned
    86 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by rampface View Post
    EMDM should be considered as good or better than The Pale Emperor and Heaven Upside Down. Not sure why people hate it. Skold is more than competent especially having to fill John 5's shoes.
    EMDM is a horrid album....TPE is 10x better and HUD is only marginally better.

Mentioned
    129 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by rampface View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by NotoriousTIMP View Post
    EMDM is a horrid album....TPE is 10x better and HUD is only marginally better.
    For the 90th time from me, Eat Me, Drink Me is his last really focused album to me and I'll fight tooth and nail to state it.

Mentioned
    77 Post(s)
    The High end of low is even better than EMDM. THOEL Gets a lot of flak for being an abomination, but it's really not that bad. EMDM is hands down his worst record.

The title track though, like @GibbonBlack stated above, is absolutely fabulous! Best, and quite possibly, the only good track on the whole record.

Mentioned
    129 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by ManBurning View Post
    The High end of low is even better than EMDM. THOEL Gets a lot of flak for being an abomination, but it's really not that bad. EMDM is hands down his worst record.

The title track though, like @GibbonBlack stated above, is absolutely fabulous! Best, and quite possibly, the only good track on the whole record.

Blapshemy.

The only song I can't stand is Are You The Rabbit?

Second verse in PHIH is the best love related verse on the album. The title track is good but only for the Alice in Wonderland connection. The entire album is a 80's goth rock homage.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Space Suicide View Post
    For the 90th time from me, Eat Me, Drink Me is his last really focused album to me and I'll fight tooth and nail to state it.
    I'm with you!

Mentioned
    68 Post(s)
    Yeah, but the focus was being a guy in his late 30's writing generic emo songs to blatantly appeal to the Hot Topic crowd. Isn't that more of an issue than it simply being unfocused?

Mentioned
    47 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by october_midnight View Post
    Yeah, but the focus was being a guy in his late 30's writing generic emo songs to blatantly appeal to the Hot Topic crowd. Isn't that more of an issue than it simply being unfocused?
    But his fanbase is the hot topic crowd. At least today they are.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    He did the same thing with Golden Age tho. That album was marketed to the hot topic hip hop / nu metal fans. The music on EMDM is far less embarassing. It's more rock n roll in the spirit of Diamond Dogs Bowie.

Mentioned
    68 Post(s)
    That I'll grant, for sure. At least the music was solid.

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    EMDM gets a bad rap because it was the follow up to GAOG and it was such a different record that is turned a lot of his listeners off at the time; myself included. Nothing more to it, but that is why when most of us listen to it with fresh ears, it isn't so bad anymore. However, at the time, I wanted more rock than the emo record that I got. Then there was this whole feud with My Chemical Romance that was just embarrassing:

"I'm embarrassed to be me because these people are doing a really sad, pitiful, shallow version of what I've done. If they want to identify with me then here's a razor blade. Call me when you're done and we'll talk."

It was just like, when your big brother makes fun of your little sister's favorite band because her band is relevant and his is on the way out but he doesn't want to accept it. I was like "Please stop talking....because you clearly locked yourself in a room with the Black Parade (or whatever it was) and thought... "THAT'S IT! It's GOLD JERRY!" Pretty sure Metallica did the same thing with System of a Down records when they were trying to record St. Anger.

But yeah, EMDM is not so bad so many years removed. I think You, Me and the Devil makes 3 was a fun tune.

Mentioned
    54 Post(s)
    EMDM was the first Manson album that was truly a "Brian Warner solo album". It's less offensive now in retrospect, and makes a lot more sense now when compared to everything that came after. Between this and GOAG though, the signs that something was very very off were showing. He was starting sing about being a vampire and playing himself up as, yes, a Hot Topic posterboy. This is the time period where he began to feel like a parody of what he'd been in the preceding years and I believe it was a conscious decision.

I've come around on about half the songs on the album - I used to loathe the whole thing apart from Red Carpet Grave and You And Me..., but I still don't think it's a terribly strong effort.

Mentioned
    237 Post(s)
    EMDM's title track is one of his best songs post-Triptych. Atmospheric, vague enough to not feel like a diary entry while concrete enough to not feel like empty bullshit, his vocals work within their limitations and feel haunting and moody, the music is gorgeous and nightmarish and perfectly matches the tone of Manson's vocals and lyrics. It's an absolute shame it was only ever performed once and he was clearly drunk out of his mind while playing it because it could've been an amazing concert closer.

Say what you want about the whole album itself but EMDM feels like the last time they put real thought and effort into the artwork, the aesthetic and the way that the imagery would tie into the music to form one cohesive artistic whole, which is what old school Manson did best and what he's been lazy about for the last decade now. There's a clear sense of sincerity on it that led to some of its worst moments as well as its best but that genuine feeling is absent from a lot of the albums that followed. I don't think any of the same amount of effort was present for High End or Born Villain. Skold's work on it is fantastic and some of the most melodically strong music from any Manson album -- the instrumental version that floats around made me a much stronger fan of the album, and I would have loved to hear his sound continue onto another album. If it hadn't been instantly shit-on I've always wondered what the albums after it would have sounded like. I definitely don't think we'd be getting more tryhard, cliche Bible and politics lyrics and "heavy" music.