Page 15 of 135 FirstFirst ... 5 13 14 15 16 17 25 65 115 ... LastLast

Thread: Marilyn Manson

Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Stigmata is out today. As covers go I dig it. The other Tyler Bates tracks are cool too (Atomic Blonde Sndtk)

Great new recording of "We Know Where You Fucking Live"

Also cool article on Tyler Bates - mentions the new Manson album but still no release date.
    http://variety.com/2017/music/news/t...er-1202499407/
    Last edited by LOVEANDZOMBIES; 07-21-2017 at 08:33 PM.

Mentioned
    141 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by LOVEANDZOMBIES View Post
    Stigmata is out today. As covers go I dig it. The other Tyler Bates tracks are cool too (Atomic Blonde Sndtk)

You know, that really wasn't half bad at all!

This guy still rocks it in the studio. Why does he suck so bad live though? Further proof he needs to retire from touring and just stick to being a studio musician.

Sucky part is, artists need to tour these days to make their money. Can't make money off of music sales anymore.

Mentioned
    28 Post(s)
    Also cool article on Tyler Bates - mentions the new Manson album but still no release date.
    http://variety.com/2017/music/news/t...er-1202499407/
    The article does say that the album is due out "later this summer" - just FYI for those who didn't want to click it.

Mentioned
    161 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by ManBurning View Post

This guy still rocks it in the studio. Why does he suck so bad live though? Further proof he needs to retire from touring and just stick to being a studio musician.

Sucky part is, artists need to tour these days to make their money. Can't make money off of music sales anymore.
    Yeah that was surprisingly good!

He sucks live because he doesn't try and hasn't since 2009 or so. Between lack of interest and substance abuse it's reduced his live act to absolute garbage.

Quote Originally Posted by Harry Seaward View Post
    The article does say that the album is due out "later this summer" - just FYI for those who didn't want to click it.
    Late Summer. Summer extends to mid September so we still got a big time window to go.

Mentioned
    55 Post(s)
    Quick thought, if Manson never steered away from the Spooky Kids sound and the original Portrait lineup were still together, that is what the band might sound like. Now imagine that cover with Daisy's guitar playing. Pretty good job on the cover I might add.

Mentioned
    49 Post(s)
    Good cover, I remember in his book him describing being at an Industrial club in the early 90s and Stigmata and some Black Bomb song being played.

Mentioned
    104 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by ManBurning View Post

To be fair, 99% of successful artists still didn't make their money off music sales. Touring has always been the primary source of income for bands.

Mentioned
    65 Post(s)
    like every single one of his covers, it's an exact replica. he did nothing with it. sorry, it sucks. have any of you who love it heard the original?

Mentioned
    33 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by kel View Post
    like every single one of his covers, it's an exact replica. he did nothing with it. sorry, it sucks. have any of you who love it heard the original?
    I thought it was a good cover, but you're right, he didn't add anything to it and it's kind of pointless.

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Interesting cover, only thing different from the original is the vocals really. So, I guess its okay but nothing I am blown away by. I would much rather hear SOMETHING... ANYTHING... of Heaven Upside Down. A release date would be nice too. WTF. If anything, it would be nice if this replaces Personal Jesus or Sweet Dreams on the live set list. Have heard both of those enough, that it is time to retire them (I know, wishful thinking on Sweet Dreams....).

Mentioned
    161 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by kel View Post
    Yep. I'm a huge Ministry fan.

Quote Originally Posted by imail724 View Post
    I thought it was a good cover, but you're right, he didn't add anything to it and it's kind of pointless.
    Yeah, it didn't deviate much but I wouldn't want the formula to change too much with this one. His Highway To Hell cover is a HUGE difference from the original and its the worst cover he's done to me. Changing things up isn't always good.

Mentioned
    35 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Space Suicide View Post
    Yep. I'm a huge Ministry fan.

Yeah, it didn't deviate much but I wouldn't want the formula to change too much with this one. His Highway To Hell cover is a HUGE difference from the original and its the worst cover he's done to me. Changing things up isn't always good.

True, but if you're not going to reinterpret the song and add your own flair to it and make it your own, what's the point? Unless you just really have fun playing that song and it's more for you, which I suppose is fine. In my opinion, Manson's best covers are Sweet Dreams and I Put a Spell on You and both songs are very different from the originals. He injected something new and interesting into his take on those and I think that's a big part of why they're so great, in fact I think they're better than the original versions. I actually also really liked his Tainted Love cover too though. Personal Jesus and Stigmata mostly sound like the originals were run through a "Manson-ize" filter.

Mentioned
    75 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by sonic_discord View Post
    True, but if you're not going to reinterpret the song and add your own flair to it and make it your own, what's the point? Unless you just really have fun playing that song and it's more for you, which I suppose is fine.

I think you hit the nail on the head. Sometimes people cover songs that they liked when they were younger, and just like playing them.

On the the other hand there's bands that tried to make covers "their own" and end up sounding like crap. APC's Emotive is a good example of some terrible covers.

Quiet Riot got huge because of a fairly straight forward cover.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Mentioned
    33 Post(s)
    Finally what? Looks like just another one of his cryptic social media posts that don't tell us anything.

Sent from my XT1575 using Tapatalk

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    It's kind of embarassing to see him now. I mean we all loved who he was and the albums they released in there hey day but he has just totally lost it. He used to be such a smart guy who made sense but now look at him. I just can't believe it, I understand people go through highs and lows but I think this is just stupid. Who wants to pay money to see him, especially if you compare it to what Trent and NIN are doing...

Mentioned
    49 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Twiggy View Post
    It's kind of embarassing to see him now. I mean we all loved who he was and the albums they released in there hey day but he has just totally lost it. He used to be such a smart guy who made sense but now look at him. I just can't believe it, I understand people go through highs and lows but I think this is just stupid. Who wants to pay money to see him, especially if you compare it to what Trent and NIN are doing...
    At least Al Jourgensen hasn't fallen this far

Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Full show in Dresden with reasonable video and sound.

Mentioned
    34 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by sonic_discord View Post
    Personal Jesus and Stigmata mostly sound like the originals were run through a "Manson-ize" filter.
    Just on a side note, let me vent for a second...

I'm still baffled that he chose Personal Jesus as the DM song to cover. The most obvious, lazy choice, I would love to hear him do Black Celebration or Fly on the Windscreen. And those are by no means deep cuts, but they're not so fckin' on the nose. (NIN didn't pick Love Will Tear Us Apart, but Dead Souls from Joy Division, and I'm sure that would've been an easy pick)

Also, we seem to not mention his Nightmare Before Christmas song when we talk about his covers

Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by hellospaceboy View Post
    Just on a side note, let me vent for a second...

I'm still baffled that he chose Personal Jesus as the DM song to cover. The most obvious, lazy choice, I would love to hear him do Black Celebration or Fly on the Windscreen. And those are by no means deep cuts, but they're not so fckin' on the nose. (NIN didn't pick Love Will Tear Us Apart, but Dead Souls from Joy Division, and I'm sure that would've been an easy pick)

Also, we seem to not mention his Nightmare Before Christmas song when we talk about his covers
    how i would love to hear a grand cover of DM Fly on the Windscreen, but not from manson; it has more of a NIN feel i think.
    MM cover choice of Sweet Dreams kind of goes hand in hand with his choice with cover of DM Personal Jesus...
    i do appreciate a listen to Sweet Dreams
    (now a cover of DM Blue Dress, that thought makes me shudder)
    Last edited by muse-lyre candy; 07-24-2017 at 07:06 PM.

Mentioned
    33 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by hellospaceboy View Post
    Can we keep it that way? Please?

Sent from my XT1575 using Tapatalk

Mentioned
    85 Post(s)
    I'll say this for Manson, he isn't known for giant stretches of albums with the exact same shitty thrash-metal sound. I can at least find a few tracks to like on every album he puts out, unlike Al, who is persona non grata after Houses as far as I'm concerned. But hey, at least Al's finally plumbing his back catalogue for good live shows and demos. Gotta give him that.

Good Manson covers IMO:

Sweet Dreams
    I Put A Spell On You
    Rock N' Roll N*
    Down In The Park
    Get My Rocks Off
    Working Class Hero
    A Rose And A Baby Ruth
    Suicide Is Painless
    Tainted Love
    The KKK Took My Baby Away

...he's really done a shit ton now that i think about it. I'm not even listing the ones I don't care for.

Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    This is actually pretty fucking great

Performance and song

Mentioned
    28 Post(s)
    I was reading the nin.com website Q&A from 2005 and saw this lol

Mentioned
    85 Post(s)

So here's the new instrumental....which sounds a hell of a lot like a slightly slowed down take on Sweet Dreams. This...will be on the album?

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Shadaloo View Post
    I'll say this for Manson, he isn't known for giant stretches of albums with the exact same shitty thrash-metal sound. I can at least find a few tracks to like on every album he puts out, unlike Al, who is persona non grata after Houses as far as I'm concerned. But hey, at least Al's finally plumbing his back catalogue for good live shows and demos. Gotta give him that.

Good Manson covers IMO:

Sweet Dreams
    I Put A Spell On You
    Rock N' Roll N*
    Down In The Park
    Get My Rocks Off
    Working Class Hero
    A Rose And A Baby Ruth
    Suicide Is Painless
    Tainted Love
    The KKK Took My Baby Away

...he's really done a shit ton now that i think about it. I'm not even listing the ones I don't care for.
    I thought Golden Years by David Bowie wasn't bad... either.

Mentioned
    33 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Shadaloo View Post

So here's the new instrumental....which sounds a hell of a lot like a slightly slowed down take on Sweet Dreams. This...will be on the album?
    No one knows. I highly doubt it though, probably just a new intro to Sweet Dreams.

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Full show in Dresden with reasonable video and sound.

i made it to the 4:48 mark.....what a fucking disgrace. someone tell the guy to quit.

he used to be the best live performer going, now he's easily the worst in the genre.

Mentioned
    96 Post(s)
    I got to 8:15 where he fucked up his spot in New Shit. 'Wow...'
    Then 'oooh Reflecting God!'.... 1:09:20 he fucks up his spot and comes in too early again, just groans 'Ugggghhhhh....'

wtf lol.
    Last edited by october_midnight; 07-27-2017 at 12:12 PM.

Mentioned
    251 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by october_midnight View Post
    I got to 8:15 where he fucked up his spot in New Shit.

wtf lol.
    "Are you motherfuckers ready?"

Apparently not!