Page 103 of 135 FirstFirst ... 3 53 93 101 102 103 104 105 113 ... LastLast
Results 3,061 to 3,090 of 4043

Thread: Marilyn Manson

Mentioned
    36 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by AndItKeepsRepeating View Post
    The most shocking thing he could possibly do at this stage of his career, given how desensitized the world is today to the point where even the peak of his 90s shock rock run seems mild, is drop the entire Marilyn Manson shtick and just release a solid, softer acoustic album as Brian Warner.
    He kind of did that with Eat Me Drink Me and he got destroyed for it......He should just continue to go with that blues mid tempo direction he was going with on Pale Emperor...He had something there but then he followed that up by trying to be Mr Antichrist evil industrial guy again with the last shitbomb of an album

Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    I would love to see him in healthy shape. Dropping the persona would be an amazing move.

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by eskimo View Post
    That would probably be a healthy move for him though. To stop pretending to be Marilyn Manson, let the persona die and start taking care of himself, getting help for his issues and get honest with himself about who he really is and where he's really at in life.
    This is too real. I can't handle it lol

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Eat Me and Golden Age were underrated by critics, IMHO. Maybe they hated Tim Skold or something, IDK. Those were the first records of MM I enjoyed after Anti-Christ though, and I wish he'd go back to the Eat Me style of things.

Mentioned
    29 Post(s)
    His voice has aged in such a way that is well suited for the bluesier sound. He's gotten some nice texture to his voice as he's gotten older, most vocalists don't get that lucky as they age ESPECIALLY when you factor in hard living.

On the nights when he's got it a little more together you can hear that he's still got a lot of vocal ability left. I'd love to see him lean harder into the Pale Emperor sound.

Mentioned
    122 Post(s)
    Eat Me, Drink Me has received a bootleg pressing on pink wax for those interested. God knows I won’t be wasting my money on this crap album.

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Sesquipedalism View Post
    It is fantastically bizarre to see the level of vitriol in the hatred for this album, even thirteen years and four subsequent LPs after its release. And while the guy's still alive and making music they think is good, too; it's not like a "Jim Morrison died young, only got to record five albums, and one of them had to be The Soft Parade‽" sort of situation. It's utterly bewildering to me.

While it would be hyperbolic for me to say "I couldn't like Heaven Upside Down less," I literally don't have a positive thing to say about it. Performances, production, lyrics, art/visuals. But it doesn't provoke in me the sort of "I'ma drop everything to let everyone know how much worse the world is because this album exists" rage that Eat Me does for some of the fans. There's a twenty-year-old Family Guy bit that it always makes me think of. Like if some of these people were to follow their claims of the album's hideousness with "Eat Me, Drink Me killed my father...and raped my mother," I'd be like, "Oh, shit, finally, I get it. Yeah, your level of rancor is totally justified. Totally. Hate on, buddy. Hate on."
    Yea...but consider this for a second...what if he was your vampire?

Mentioned
    29 Post(s)
    It is fantastically bizarre to see the level of vitriol in the hatred for this album, even thirteen years and four subsequent LPs after its release. And while the guy's still alive and making music they think is good, too; it's not like a "Jim Morrison died young, only got to record five albums, and one of them had to be The Soft Parade‽" sort of situation. It's utterly bewildering to me.
    I don't hate everything on EMDM. I really like "Evidence" a lot, same with "Putting Holes in Happiness" and "They Said That Hell's Not Hot".

I think that "Heart Shaped Glasses" is possibly the worst song I've ever heard. Overall though, the album suffers from the same problem that many rock albums from that time had. I don't know anything about music production to explain what I mean, but I know it when I hear it. A lot of albums from the 2005-2010 span just sound unbelievably flat. Even albums I really love from that time period just have sort of a cheap sound to them, almost like they were recorded in a kiosk in a mall. It's very odd and drives me completely nuts. EMDM definitely falls into that category for me.

A large part of the aggressive hate for the album may have something to do with the circumstances surrounding it. I remember being on all the fan boards when he began dating ERW and his marriage ended. While there were pissy fangirls in the beginning of their relationship, by the time they got married his fans really loved Dita (hell, I still follow her career all these years later) and were uh, not nice about the ERW tryst.
    Last edited by eachpassingphase; 07-20-2020 at 07:55 PM.

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    EMDM was dumb and campy in the way that KISS and Alice Cooper were in their prime. I love it.

Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    He has kind of already been taking better care of himself. He does pilates/exercise and gave up drinking Absinthe. He has noticeably lost some weight from when he was at his worst. I think his fiance has actually been quite a positive influence on him.

Hopefully the trend continues.

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    I remember liking EMDM a lot when it first came out. Looking back, it's not the strongest album, but it's still pretty solid. It's got some great tracks on there and even ones that have dumb lyrics I still manage to enjoy.

I actually liked Born Villain a lot more when it first came out whereas HEOL I couldn't get into. I still think there are a number of solid songs on there and Heaven Upside Down is okay. I wasn't into the singles at all, but there are other cuts like "Saturnalia" that I really like. But I think he really hit his stride with Pale Emperor as others have said. It felt like he finally found a good sound and direction for where he was at in his career. Third Day of a Seven Day Binge was Manson like I'd never heard him before and I loved it. So, it was disappointing to him try to get back to the "I'm scary" act with "We Know Where You Fucking Live" - that's one song I cannot stand.

But seeing all the love HEOL gets here makes me want to revisit it and see if my thoughts have changed since its release.

Mentioned
    19 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by voidnz View Post
    He has kind of already been taking better care of himself. He does pilates/exercise and gave up drinking Absinthe. He has noticeably lost some weight from when he was at his worst. I think his fiance has actually been quite a positive influence on him.

Would love to see a MM yoga series.

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by voidnz View Post

Gave up Absinthe to drink vodka, doesn't help that much tho. If he give up on alcohol at all that would be A LOT of help for him, not only his weight but his mind also. And of course his voice.

We all know that he needs some help but we don't know if he really wants tbh. Sometimes I get the impression that he would find "cringy" the whole sober rockstar thing, specially with a ego of that size. It's even worse when most of his own fans are ok with this kind of behaviour and just use the age excuse to justify this.

I usually hate comparing MM and Trent, but to see HOW MUCH Trent created being sober and still kick ass live in his 50's as MM struggle to remember words of songs that are on his setlists for more than 10 years it's really frustrating. It get worse when you remember that used to be such a great lyricist. 98% of his songs nowadays it's just about how he doesn't know to handle a relationship breakup with a woman.

Mentioned
    280 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by firewlker View Post
    Gave up Absinthe to drink vodka, doesn't help that much tho. If he give up on alcohol at all that would be A LOT of help for him, not only his weight but his mind also. And of course his voice.

We all know that he needs some help but we don't know if he really wants tbh. Sometimes I get the impression that he would find "cringy" the whole sober rockstar thing, specially with a ego of that size. It's even worse when most of his own fans are ok with this kind of behaviour and just use the age excuse to justify this.

I usually hate comparing MM and Trent, but to see HOW MUCH Trent created being sober and still kick ass live in his 50's as MM struggle to remember words of songs that are on his setlists for more than 10 years it's really frustrating. It get worse when you remember that used to be such a great lyricist. 98% of his songs nowadays it's just about how he doesn't know to handle a relationship breakup with a woman.
    I complained a lot about HLAH/THTF/Hurt at the end of every nin show but I would give up my left nut to have a Manson show that ended with Dope Show/Sweet Dreams/Beautiful People if it meant we had hope of interesting songs being played before I mentally checked out.

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by tony.parente View Post
    I complained a lot about HLAH/THTF/Hurt at the end of every nin show but I would give up my left nut to have a Manson show that ended with Dope Show/Sweet Dreams/Beautiful People if it meant we had hope of interesting songs being played before I mentally checked out.
    Yeah, I was pissed when the last show I saw him ended with the recorded version of You're So Vain. I would've preferred it if he just performed it even though it's a meh cover.

Mentioned
    280 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by kaydraven View Post
    Yeah, I was pissed when the last show I saw him ended with the recorded version of You're So Vain. I would've preferred it if he just performed it even though it's a meh cover.
    That requires effort. Manson hasn't put effort in a live show since the high end of low era.

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    He doesn't even need to do different setlist for every concert of the whole tour, but there's a lot of songs that could be played live like Fundamentally Loathsome, specially at the time Tyler was on live band so there was two guitar on the concerts. But MM STRUGGLES to play Beautiful People, he probably doesn't even do rehearsals, his fans are alienated enough to keep paying to see him playing live drunk and not giving a fuck.

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    I actually thought the two shows I went to were great, especially the last one from the Born Villain era. Maybe I just caught him on a day where he gave a shit. But after that I vowed not to see him again when more videos popped up of his terrible performances. I'd rather keep the good memories of the two times I've seen him.

Mentioned
    122 Post(s)
    I actually thought the two shows I went to were great, especially the last one from the Born Villain era. Maybe I just caught him on a day where he gave a shit. But after that I vowed not to see him again when more videos popped up of his terrible performances. I'd rather keep the good memories of the two times I've seen him.
    I saw him two years ago on the Twins of Evil 2 tour and he was a complete mess. I might still support him through album sales, but live wise he is dead to me.

Mentioned
    280 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by NotoriousTIMP View Post
    I saw him two years ago on the Twins of Evil 2 tour and he was a complete mess. I might still support him through album sales, but live wise he is dead to me.
    He's pretty dead to the world.

AM I RIGHT?

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Last 8 years was basically surprise shows: they were gonna be or fine or terrible. Funny to mention that when Tyler was playing guitar on stage, MM performance was better.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Not sure if this Ebay listing is genuine or not. If genuine, the new album is titled We Are Chaos and is due for release on September 11th.

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/303631405336

Mentioned
    280 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by xfilian View Post
    Not sure if this Ebay listing is genuine or not. If genuine, the new album is titled We Are Chaos and is due for release on September 11th.

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/303631405336
    Well it's a horrific title and edgy for no reason release date. I believe it.

Mentioned
    528 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Erneuert View Post
    Fatty McChinChin.

edit: was just joking. @eversonpoe, de-facepalm my post if I say sorry? Sowwee.
    or you could just delete the post ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Mentioned
    97 Post(s)
    Reddit detectives think this is gonna be just a live bootleg, based on some of the other items this seller offers.

Mentioned
    30 Post(s)
    Lmao all of you guys who were just bashing him a week ago are now freaking out over the whispers of a possible new album and release date. Love it

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Mentioned
    96 Post(s)
    Also let’s be objective. One post saying ‘this might be the date’ and like two more constitute ‘freaking out’ about something around here? Hahahaha k.

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    You realize that many of the people who post in this thread who are "bashing him"—to wit: mourning a perceived low period, trying to mine from it what they can, hoping to at least laugh about what they can't—are doing so specifically because they hope for a return to form, right? Besides the obvious trolls who do the same shit every six months, the folks who have nothing to contribute besides fat jokes among other things, many of the people here are actual long-time fans who are dealing with his shall we say "troubled period" the best way they can?

Hoping for the best, laughing about the worst, and generally trying not to let expectations get too high (because we know we've been burnt time and again).
    I don't disagree with the sentiment of your post, but the last 15 or so years are not a "perceived low period", he's been not relevant to the majority of the culture longer than he was.

This was the end right here, not the song or video itself because it's a great cover, it was just the last time he was anything resembling the Marilyn Manson that shocked the world in the 90s, the Marilyn Manson who gave performances that actually felt like they meant something. The last time he was culturally relevant.

Or maybe just relevant to me, I dunno, I could be clouded by my own nostalgia for a bygone era. I grew up a fan and I have genuinely tried to absorb every thing he's released since then with open ears, hoping he'd recapture some of that magic. And he just hasn't come close. A few good songs here and there, but mostly forgettable. But that's just my opinion.

Maybe it is better to burn out than to fade away. But I wish him the best and hope he's ok personally.
    Last edited by AndItKeepsRepeating; 07-23-2020 at 09:46 PM.

Mentioned
    36 Post(s)
    That requires effort. Manson hasn't put effort in a live show since the high end of low era.

I would say not since Holywood era......high end of low era he was already coked out of his skull and falling off stages on a nightly basis

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Helpmeiaminhell View Post
    I would say not since Holywood era......high end of low era he was already coked out of his skull and falling off stages on a nightly basis
    Grotesque era, I last saw them during that era and can vouch for it being a high effort show.