Thread: Marilyn Manson

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Mentioned
    180 Post(s)
    lol no, it’s not a dumb argument. It’s the goddamn truth. I would love for anyone here who routinely slams the guy to show me their platinum albums, their tour itineraries of their travels around the globe, and the big pile of cash that’s higher than the one Manson sits on. That dude, regardless of how big of an asshole he may be, has done all of that and more while you and others just sit here and complain about how it’s not “your thing” and what a mess he is. Do you think Manson gives a fuck? lol no, I assure you, he doesn’t. Probably because he knows everyone talking shit will be streaming his “new masterpiece” the day it comes out, instead of creating one of their own that betters it. Because they probably can’t..

You can whitewash it and justify it however you want, but until you can do it better or walk a mile in his shoes, you’re just some rando bitching on the internet about things he does that you haven’t. All that does is makes you sound bitter and jealous and upset that he’s probably living the life that you would like to, but don’t. It’s one thing to say “I listened to his album/music/concert and it wasn’t my thing”, but when it becomes a routine occurrence, don’t be surprised when others start asking to see what makes you so qualified to speak out on the matter.

Because that’s when you start to look petulant and ignorant..

Mentioned
    40 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Prettybrokenspiral View Post
    lol no, it’s not a dumb argument. It’s the goddamn truth. I would love for anyone here who routinely slams the guy to show me their platinum albums, their tour itineraries of their travels around the globe, and the big pile of cash that’s higher than the one Manson sits on. That dude, regardless of how big of an asshole he may be, has done all of that and more while you and others just sit here and complain about how it’s not “your thing” and what a mess he is. Do you think Manson gives a fuck? lol no, I assure you, he doesn’t. Probably because he knows everyone talking shit will be streaming his “new masterpiece” the day it comes out, instead of creating one of their own that betters it.
    Actually, I won't be listening.
    I think this whole argument is silly. Do people judge wine critics on their ability to make wine? No, they don't. And both music and wine making are art.
    People can appreciate and critique things without being masters of them.
    If you want to chalk up expertise to the size of the pile of cash they're sitting on.....really? Really? That's an argument you want to go with here?

Mentioned
    104 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Prettybrokenspiral View Post
    lol no, it’s not a dumb argument. It’s the goddamn truth. I would love for anyone here who routinely slams the guy to show me their platinum albums, their tour itineraries of their travels around the globe, and the big pile of cash that’s higher than the one Manson sits on.
    No, it's a dumb argument.

Money isn't a measure of success (see: lottery winners, trust fund babies, anyone with a good job who invests regularly in stocks, etc). Being good at marketing and branding doesn't make you a good musician. But these points are irrelevant anyway, because none of that is a prerequisite to being able to share an opinion about someone's music. While taste in music is obviously subjective, some things (like the inability to hold a note, get through your lyrics, or stand upright for the duration of a show) just make you an objectively bad performer. The fact that he can still get people who are near-blindly optimistic about one's capabilities, or desperate for a night of nostalgia, to come see his shows...that doesn't make him immune to valid criticisms of the quality of his product. Let me try to frame it another way: imagine a celebrity chef who had a Michelin-star restaurant (or two) but started going downhill as they aged. They kept burning entrees or over-salting them or just trying to make new recipes that really didn't work out. You could be a perfectly adequate home chef with no restaurant ownership ambitions whatsoever and still say "wow dude, I ate at your new restaurant last night and the steak was overcooked and tasted oddly of oregano." Being good at something once doesn't mean you're still good at it, and not being on the same level as someone's former glory doesn't exclude you from recognizing poor work when you see it.

I can guarantee you that if Marilyn Manson the brand did not exist and any of his recent albums dropped under whatever generic band name, there would be little if any commercial success to them. His work now is sold almost entirely off of the promise of his past.

(Oh, and does my platinum album and bookshelf of itineraries count? They're from working, not playing, so I'm guessing no.)