Faceplams Faceplams:  0
Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 3 4 5

Thread: Tell us about your first NIN show

Mentioned
    19 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by nooneimportant View Post
    It's funny because I feel like that sense of danger and uneasiness went right into Not the Actual Events and Add Violence.
    I cant speak for elevenism but I wasn't talking about the music, but the live show. I've seen some great NIN concerts since then but none that had the sense of dread that the first one did

Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Kyle View Post
    I cant speak for elevenism but I wasn't talking about the music, but the live show. I've seen some great NIN concerts since then but none that had the sense of dread that the first one did
    I meant that it may not be in the live show anymore but it still works in the music.

Mentioned
    732 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by nooneimportant View Post
    I meant that it may not be in the live show anymore but it still works in the music.
    oh yeah it's DAMN sure in NTAE especially.

Mentioned
    732 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by kolbydmc View Post
    August 16th 2008 Lights In The Sky Tour Houston, Texas @Toyota Center
    Absolutely insane! (Until I realized how much cooler the NIN/JA tour was...)

https://www.setlist.fm/setlist/nine-inch-nails/2008/toyota-center-houston-tx-3bd69434.html
    Sorry for double post but...
    Say WHAT now?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by elevenism View Post
    Sorry for double post but...
    Say WHAT now?
    If you're questioning why I say the NIN/JA tour was cooler: Just like the current tour, I prefer a broken down/surprise set every night. Not the same well rehearsed theatrical show with a few variances. That tour was amazing don't get me wrong, but Nin/ja / wave goodbye was absolutely insane.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    This show right here: https://www.setlist.fm/setlist/nine-...s-3d631af.html

The set started at 5:15 in the afternoon in a tent, and I recall being super surprised that Closer and Hurt weren't played. Frankly, I don't remember all that much anymore from the show since I was a huge NIN-n00b at the time, but I'm happy to have seen it and that it kicked started my fandom.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    You know how you imagine some event and you build it up in your head and you're all excited about it, and then it ends up being a total letdown and not nearly as good as you had it pictured?

That did not happen in Atlanta last night.

Mentioned
    732 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by kolbydmc View Post
    If you're questioning why I say the NIN/JA tour was cooler: Just like the current tour, I prefer a broken down/surprise set every night. Not the same well rehearsed theatrical show with a few variances. That tour was amazing don't get me wrong, but Nin/ja / wave goodbye was absolutely insane.
    Jesus wept.
    I didn't know about those Nin/JA setlists. JESUS.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Fragility 2.0 in Philadelphia. May something or other 2000.

I was 15 years old and it was my first concert ever. My mom took myself and my brother, who was 12. I had been a huge Nine Inch Nails fan since seeing them at Woodstock '94, which my father ordered on PPV because of Joe Cocker. My mom remarked on how many people were wearing black and asked if they were "goths." We were really far away. Great night.

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    My first NIN show was Duluth in 2008 for the Lights in the Sky Tour. I was just reminiscing on it and watching LITS videos when I realized how unique this show in particular was. First, it had the live debut of "28 Ghosts IV" during the Ghosts section, which was awesome and I wish they would do more Ghosts material live. Second, they actually did not play "Hand That Feeds." Instead we got "Down In It" for the first time on that tour! And for the encore, "Reptile" replaced "The Good Soldier." Of course, I did not realize how special this show was at the time other than it being my first NIN show.

Mentioned
    19 Post(s)
    I saw NIN for the first time in 1996. It was this show:

http://www.nin.wiki/1996/09/08_Atlanta,_GA

I hardly remember anything about the performance itself and it makes me sad, because this was a SMALL club. Like a couple hundred people tops. I wasn’t drunk or high or anything. Concerts are just like that for me. I remember all the stupid stuff. Like this giant sweaty fat guy with his shirt off, swinging his long hair around in the pit, and trying not to get near him. I remember how deafeningly loud it was and how bad my ears were ringing after and I wondered if it was permenant because that had never happened before. I remember the girl I was with, getting tickets just a couple days before... I cannot for the life of me remember anything about the actual performance. Like a total block. Anyone else have this happen to them? Super frustrating. I mean this was like THE show. I was maybe 10 or fifteen people back from the stage. Ugh. If only I could go back and really take it in.

TBH, even this most recent ATL show in September - I remember little fragments, and similarly lots of stupid non-NIN details.

I’m really curious if I am the only one who is so awful at remembering what I want to the most. Oh well.

Mentioned
    9 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Max View Post
    I saw NIN for the first time in 1996. It was this show:

http://www.nin.wiki/1996/09/08_Atlanta,_GA

I hardly remember anything about the performance itself and it makes me sad, because this was a SMALL club. Like a couple hundred people tops. I wasn’t drunk or high or anything. Concerts are just like that for me. I remember all the stupid stuff. Like this giant sweaty fat guy with his shirt off, swinging his long hair around in the pit, and trying not to get near him. I remember how deafeningly loud it was and how bad my ears were ringing after and I wondered if it was permenant because that had never happened before. I remember the girl I was with, getting tickets just a couple days before... I cannot for the life of me remember anything about the actual performance. Like a total block. Anyone else have this happen to them? Super frustrating. I mean this was like THE show. I was maybe 10 or fifteen people back from the stage. Ugh. If only I could go back and really take it in.

TBH, even this most recent ATL show in September - I remember little fragments, and similarly lots of stupid non-NIN details.

I’m really curious if I am the only one who is so awful at remembering what I want to the most. Oh well.
    You are absolutely NOT the only one. I remember very little once it’s over. Just bits and pieces. And any annoying people that spill their beer on me or sing Hurt at the top of their lungs.

Mentioned
    16 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Max View Post

Quote Originally Posted by Nellyrific View Post
    You are absolutely NOT the only one. I remember very little once it’s over. Just bits and pieces. And any annoying people that spill their beer on me or sing Hurt at the top of their lungs.
    Ugh, same here! When they go on stage I completely forget everything that happens before the show— all of the traveling, all of the stupid line drama— and I’m completely immersed in the show. But once it’s over, all of that garbage comes flooding back and I forget the fun details.. I suppose that’s why I’m into gathering photos and videos from concerts I’ve been to.

My first show was on the with teeth tour. I was a casual fan and member of the spiral for the merch and online community, but for some reason I didn’t have the urge to see them live— I was satisfied with the choppy live streams and video updates. But one of my friends wanted to go to the amphitheater show and wanted to get lawn tix. I didn’t feel like sitting on the mushy lawn, so I got closer seats through the Spiral. I remember falling in love with the live performance of Help Me I’m in Hell+Non-Entity. I had seen the televised performance before seeing it live, but it was sooo much better in person. In that moment, I wish I could have gone back to all of the previous shows I had passed up. I knew this wouldn’t be my last. And I remember my hands being super sticky from spilling frozen lemonade all over myself.

I also remember hooking up with said friend/ticket buddy after the show and screwing up my relationship at the time. But at least my appreciation for NIN is still going strong— one good choice from that day. Oof— I’m cringing at how shitty I was then. It really wasn’t that long ago, but it feels like a lifetime away.

Mentioned
    141 Post(s)
    First of all, after reading through this whole thread, I am insanely jealous to all of you that saw shows on Fragility and the Self Destruct tours.
    A little more envious towards the Fragility shows actually. I know TDS shows would have been a spectacle on their own, but I think that was passed my time. I didn't know about those shows until the internet was invented, but I got into the band when The Perfect Drug came out and the video started to get airplay on TV. It was the only song I knew from the band, then in spring 1998 my friend sis one of those "buy 12 CDs for a cent" things you would find in magazines, and one of the CDs he got was The Downward Spiral by NIN. He only got it for the perfect drug, and when he found out it wasn't on there, he gave the CD away to another one of my mutual friends.

Anyway, we got into TDS, went to my friends place all the time and he rocked that record. I never had my own copy for whatever reason. But over the next year, our group of friends all got into this band, and eagerly anticipated the release of The Fragile.

So, The Fragile came out. I was 16 at the time, I don't remember if I skipped school or just didn't have any classes that afternoon, but me and some friends left school around lunch time to go to the mall and get the CD.

Fast Forward to April 2000. We lived in buttfuck nowhere middle of the prairies Winnipeg, Manitoba Canada where NO SHOW/TOUR would ever dare step foot (unless it was like AC/DC or Metallica or just the biggest band out there), so naturally, no NIN show was going to come to us. The guy that ended up getting the TDS cd and another friend were planning a trip to Toronto to see the band. We were still all 16 at the time, wait... one guy was 17. But we were still in school. School was important to me, and I was living with my grandmother and would have never under a million years been able to travel to Toronto for a concert. But those 2... They didn't care. One guy was very rebellious. He had his own apartment in a very shady part of town at 16 so they set sails on Toronto to witness:

Quote Originally Posted by mfte View Post
    April 28, 2000. Toronto. A Perfect Circle opened. I went to Much Music earlier in the day to see Sook-Yin Lee interview a slightly bloated Trent.
    At the venue a weirdo hippy dude gave me a joint in exchange for half bottle of water. Strong shit.
    That was a Friday. I had driving school that weekend and my right ear rang until Monday.
    That show. They also went to that Much Music event as well, and were inside for the Trent interview. I had taped a copy of the interview on VHS (it's actually up on YouTube right now courtesy of me, lol. I was the one that uploaded it). Both friends that went, were features in the video, and one of the guys was the one that asked the question about Trent's current relationship with Marilyn Manson. What a hot ticket question to be asked.

Anyway.... That is the show and tour I always wanted to go to. The Fragile was a record and period that I lived through and always wished I saw that show, even moreso than a show during the 94-95 self destruct tour.

So... The actual first show I attended were the 2 in Toronto on May 9th and 10th, 2005 during the With_Teeth club run.
    I had been to multiple concerts before, but that first NIN show was amazing. I was against the rail. I don't remember too much about the show, but one thing that stuck out was Trent was running around the stage during (I think it was MOTP) and he was wrapping the mic cord around Jeordie and Aaron, and then he hit some power switch and the lights went out and the music stopped and he went "oops" lol. Didn't take them too long to bring it all back, couple minutes tops but that was my first NIN show memory.

Up until recently, I used to put that show as the #1 NIN show I had seen, but the "pre 1998 set" they played in Vegas may have very well just took the top spot.

Mentioned
    9 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by JessicaSarahS View Post
    Ugh, same here! When they go on stage I completely forget everything that happens before the show— all of the traveling, all of the stupid line drama— and I’m completely immersed in the show. But once it’s over, all of that garbage comes flooding back and I forget the fun details.. I suppose that’s why I’m into gathering photos and videos from concerts I’ve been to.

My first show was on the with teeth tour. I was a casual fan and member of the spiral for the merch and online community, but for some reason I didn’t have the urge to see them live— I was satisfied with the choppy live streams and video updates. But one of my friends wanted to go to the amphitheater show and wanted to get lawn tix. I didn’t feel like sitting on the mushy lawn, so I got closer seats through the Spiral. I remember falling in love with the live performance of Help Me I’m in Hell+Non-Entity. I had seen the televised performance before seeing it live, but it was sooo much better in person. In that moment, I wish I could have gone back to all of the previous shows I had passed up. I knew this wouldn’t be my last. And I remember my hands being super sticky from spilling frozen lemonade all over myself.

I also remember hooking up with said friend/ticket buddy after the show and screwing up my relationship at the time. But at least my appreciation for NIN is still going strong— one good choice from that day. Oof— I’m cringing at how shitty I was then. It really wasn’t that long ago, but it feels like a lifetime away.
    We’ve probably been to so many of the same shows!

I had a friend during those 2005-2007 tours that I always took with me and after 2007 when I paid for us to go to Paris and see NIN, she decided to stop speaking to me out of shame because she couldn’t pay me back. I wish she wasn’t attached to so many of my memories during that time but oh well. I may not remember every little thing but I sure remember Non-Entity!

Mentioned
    16 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Nellyrific View Post
    We’ve probably been to so many of the same shows!

I had a friend during those 2005-2007 tours that I always took with me and after 2007 when I paid for us to go to Paris and see NIN, she decided to stop speaking to me out of shame because she couldn’t pay me back. I wish she wasn’t attached to so many of my memories during that time but oh well. I may not remember every little thing but I sure remember Non-Entity!
    Yes!! We gotta preplan a meetup the next round of shows. I was glad I randomly bumped into you at the Palladium show.

Mentioned
    166 Post(s)
    My first NIN show was at Madison Square Garden, November 3, 2005. It was also at the very start of my 20s now that I remember it, because I turned 20 the previous month prior to the actual show. I was incredibly stoked and kept playing Closure over and over again that year before attending the show. I also kept listening to With Teeth on repeat.

Before the show, I can't believe a friend at the time, joked around as a prank and yelled. "Hey Trent. It's Trent!" when we were all waiting in line.

Anyway, I lost my shit when it started up with Pinion, as I also kept watching Woodstock 1994 on repeat as well. It just got me so hyped up. (I know that's the point, but damn, do I love Pinion as a show opener.) I think this is also the only show where I got to see Closer live. I also couldn't have been anymore happy to see Suck, Reptile and Burn for the vert first time in real life. Remember hearing Trent scream "Loneliness!" was just very satisfying to hear.

Eraser and Hurt just put me into Closure mode, as well as Right Where It Belongs for its visuals as well. I already knew the With Teeth songs were going to sound great, but they certainly sounded much better than I thought they would, including Love Is Not Enough and Only. At the time, The Hand That Feeds being played next to Head Like A Hole seemed so right. And in a way, it still does, but now we also have Copy Of A and Less Than.
    Last edited by Halo Infinity; 12-23-2018 at 10:39 PM.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Hah, all i was saying is that MM was my first concert and the impression was better, gee I wonder why?

Doesn't mean I like MM better than Trent though, Trent is an acquired taste. But I reckon you listen to too much Tool or something and think you are better than everyone else here.

You wouldn't happen to be Bobby from MBnet would you?

Mentioned
    11 Post(s)
    My first ever show :Gun's N Roses at Lyon( France) in 1993. I was 15 ! Great fun.
    My second : The cure in the same venue in 1996. I was 18 and it was after a very drunk party the day before. I drove back with my 1 month license and had to ask my road to prostitutes (I understood the day after !). it was an unique experience and was able to live again in a few of their concerts.

After this important Cure show, I saw them nearly 50 times around Europe until a last one in 2005. I tapped nearly all my show and in 2005 I had something like 800 recorded shows !

I have to stop or i gonna suicide myself : too much passion, too much anger and definitely not enough live vibrations.
    I saw again The Cure 2 years ago. I even had a photo pass and that was important for me. Like a junky facing his old drug, but I understood it was definitly the end as the show was empty for me.

After the Cure, I listened to nearly everything for 2 years from jazz to heavy metal, including techno and classical. I have to clean my ears.

Hurt was a song a know since 2000.. I loved it.

I remember perfectly buying in 2008 "and all that could have been".
    i remember perfecly my first listenning : i skipped all the tracks until hurt. it was impossible to listen to ! So it was only a new Cd in my collection.. one week after it was nearly forgotten with the next 10 news cd.

But I decided to buy "downward spiral" just for having a studio version of Hurt. Once again, nearly all others tracks was impossible to listen to... but it was too late, day after day it becomes acceptable ! It was like my Cure's Pornography album experience !

My first NIN show was in 2009 at Paris in July (before Esch-sur-alzette and Nîmes).

A day before my travel from South of France, I learned that my young sister was in an asylium near Paris as she had some huge trouble. I saw her 5 or 6 hours before the show. I was Jack Nicholson inside One Flew Over the Cuckoo's Nest. and my sister was one of them, maybe the worst.

I was completely disturbed after and went to the show. it was something like my 100 shows, I went at least 10 times at the zenith so it was only a new show after so much other.

NIN played
    Somewhat Damaged and I begun to cry.. I was already a new man at the beginning of Terrible Lie and I knew I was living something not so far from my first (or even second) Cure shows.

I'm older, so different... but NIN is definitely my new Cure and Trent my new Robert.
    This is the only second band I'm ready to travel and see 3 gigs in a week.
    Last edited by CAMEO172; 02-08-2019 at 12:44 PM.