Faceplams Faceplams:  0
Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 ... LastLast

Thread: Tell us about your first NIN show

Mentioned
    49 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by nooneimportant View Post
    http://www.nin.wiki/2014/08/27_Sacramento,_CA

Cold Cave was the opener and they were alright.

Soundgarden was the loudest band I've ever seen up to that point, damn man, they haven't let up at all after all these years. Chris Cornell was 50 years old and giving it 100 percent, it was really impressive.

NIN came on and I swear to fucking god, despite being seated in the back (not the lawn) it was crazy for me. I've seen all these live videos and heard some live audio ever since I got into the band in 2008 and here I was experiencing it for real. I thought NIN was finished in 2009 but I guess so did everyone else. I knew the static setlist going in and was going to enjoy it anyways, but they changed it up and that was good. Trent was on top of his game during Copy of A, flying around the stage with his guitar. Frail/Wretched happened, I ain't got anything to say because you all know how that goes. Find My Way blew me away in the instrumental section due to the bass being so deep and Trent's guitar additions.

The highlight came when they did The Great Destroyer and then Eraser. I was completely blown away by seeing my two favorite NIN songs of all time. I could've just gone home after Eraser because that shit was too real. TDTWWA was some sort of emotional thing that I cannot describe. Amazing show. The visuals were great and so was the sound. What did suck though was being in the California heat in late August.
    Seen them 3 times and not once have they played Eraser any of those times.

Mentioned
    36 Post(s)
    september 20th 1995, with mr. bowie.
    <3
    almost made it to woodstock, but had exams and my prof. would not allow me to bow out (yes, i am the dick who told him i would like to attend a once in a lifetime concert, rather than just going and then getting a sick note from my doctor. yes, i outed myself so then could not go with plan b...especially since the prof. happily informed me that if i did not turn up i would fail, with or without doc note. ugh.)

still, in retrospect, i reckon having the nin/bowie combo was once in a lifetime enough to make up for missing mudstock.

Mentioned
    104 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by niggo View Post
    That's funny, I listen to that soundboard rip regularly. Fucking awesome show!
    Naturally, I had to look up "Fragiliglade". This may be old news to both of you, but just in case: the one that's officially named that is an FM source that has an incomplete HLAH. Ninlive has a pre-FM version (less crowd noise) and the entire HLAH. Again, you may very well have known that already.

http://ninlive.com/shows/2000/20000708.html

Mentioned
    17 Post(s)
    @theimage13 The pre-FM version is actually the recording I have already been listening to. But thanks for the heads up, very nice of you.

Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    First of MANY was fragility 2.0 at the UIC Pavillion in Chicago. Went with 3 other friends, year I graduated HS. Got really stoned, had seats in the way back but it was awesome. I remember when the screens came down it was unreal. Still one of my favorite shows ever. I've seen every Chicago date since and a few in Michigan and Wisconsin. Begged my dad to take me to nin/bowie years before as he's a huge bowie fan but it never happened. Second show was WT club date in Chicago, night 2, which was also a top show. But the wave goodbye (final, ha) Chicago date might be my favorite due to amazing set list with a 4 piece band. Incredible.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    March 20th, 1994 - About a week after TDS was released, Nine Inch Nails announced a small a warmup pretour and one of the dates was in Tucson (hometown and where I live now). In a "renovated" old movie theater where I had seen Ghostbusters when it first came out when I was a kid. I bought tickets as soon as they went on sale and showed up 7 hours before the doors opened. No one else arrived for 4 hours other than staff (I arrived before security or the band). The show was amazing. It changed what I would expect from concerts. And set a high water mark that would take years to be met again. I saw NIN twice again on the other US legs of the Spiral tours. But seeing them front and center, in a small venue was an experience which was unrivaled. Until I did it again on the Tension tour, in Las Vegas.

Items of note: having alcohol (my mind is cloudy on whether it was tequila or vodka) poured into my eyes (while he tried to pour it into my girlfriend's mouth) was an experience I would not recommend, but it makes for an interesting story. Though I didn't catch or obtain any broken keys, I did catch a water bottle that Trent tossed into the audience, and used half of it to wash off my face and the other half to drink. It was a crazy crazy experience and I couldn't imagine what my life would have been like had I not seen that show. I have, since then, braved snow, blizzards, etc ( I lived in Chicago for years) while waiting for bands so that I could be up front.

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Further Down the Spiral tour (In NY with Jim Rose Circus & Pop Will Eat Itself).
    http://www.ninlive.com/shows/1995/19950106.html

A college buddy was supposed to go with me, but came down with the flu the night before, so I went alone. Before the show, I sold his ticket outside the concert venue for face value. Adam Ant came on stage for the encores and did Physical, Red Scab, and Beat My Guest with NIN. I was seated in the back, but snuck upfront during short period before the encores. While up front in the pit, I got knocked to the floor. I saw the crowd surrounding me start closing in. It looked like i was droning (The hole of light above was shrinking. Then this one goth guy put his arms out and shouted to everyone to step back. He extended his arm and helped me up. NIN fans are very cool.

Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    I got into NIN just as they wrapped up the Wave Goodbye tour so at the time I thought "FUCK I'M NEVER GOING TO GET TO SEE THEM LIVE :C"

Flash forward roughly 4 years later and they announce the Australian QOTSA+NIN leg of the 2014 tour. Got tickets as soon as they were available.

http://www.nin.wiki/2014/03/11_Perth,_Australia

Sat through the Queens Of the Stone Age set not knowing what to expect since at the time I only had heard like 3 or 4 songs by them. Ended up enjoying themselves immensely and buying copies of Era Vulgaris, Like Clockwork and Songs For The Deaf the next day.

Anyway after a brief break NIN opened with Copy Of A which imo works really well as a opener - builds up and gets everyone hyped. Setlist was pretty average since it was a co-headlining tour which usually tend towards the more well known songs with less rarities and there were a few songs I wish they had played like The Great Destroyer or Somewhat Damaged which they had played at previous nights but March of the Pigs (without the extended outro oddly enough. They only played the album version which from what I understand almost never happens) going into The Line Beings To Blur made up for all of that. At the time that was probably my favorite Nine Inch Nails song and was a bit of a rarity since the With Teeth tour I think so I never expected to hear it live. I had been singing along all night but the verses along with the I DON'T KNOW I DON'T KNOW bits in the second verse had started to hurt my throat a bit so I took it easy until The Wretched about halfway through the set a few songs later lol

Mariqueen came on to do a few HTDA songs which I'm OK with in theory - I really like their songs but the ones they chose weren't ones I particularly fond of (On The Wing and Parasite) plus I feel a bit selfish saying this but as much as I like HDTA I felt a little robbed of NIN songs (even though it was only two). I think if the songs chosen were ones I actually liked I would have felt differently.

1,000,000 and Letting You got everyone hyped again because it felt like the momentum kind of got lost a bit with the mini HDTA set as I don't think a lot of people there seemed to be familiar with them. Then the opening synth sounds of The Hand That Feeds came on and in the back of my mind I knew the concert was going to end soon - THTF > HLAH > Hurt is a pretty standard concert closer isn't it? THTF was a solid performance, nothing special but Head Like A Hole ended up a highlight of the show - something about hearing the crowd singing along in the arena to chorus made me feel like part of something much bigger than me in a way. You could almost feel the energy in the room. Also at this point I lost my voice completely in the final chorus and could barely talk for a few days but was totally worth it.

Concert concluded with Hurt which I expected but hearing that song live - hearing all of the songs performed live that night in person for the first actually - was so special. Hurt hits me pretty hard emotionally and the climax at the end has such a final feel to it. I guess that's why it works pretty well as a setlist closer.

I hope I get to see them again live. Once isn't enough. Ideally I wish they'll come back to Perth but Western Australia almost always gets neglected when bands to 'Australian' tours. At least this time around if it comes to it i'll be able to afford to see a show on the east coast.

Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    So well jealous of everyone who saw 'em back in the nineties. I've been a fan since '93, but for some reason it then took me 14 years to make it to a show.
    Of course then it should have been an epic occasion, making it up to Brixton for the 2007 tour. Just to show how underwhelming an experience it was, I can't actually remember which date it was. I'm guessing the 11th (http://www.nin.wiki/2007/03/11_London,_UK) just on vague memories of what was played.
    Damn! What a setlist huh? It should have been awesome, but I think I was in a bad mood generally, and the people I was with were annoying me. On top of that the crowd was made up of a mixture of sweaty devil horns throwing metal 'dudes' and too cool for school nu-goth posers (I'm such a snob). Just to finish things off - I've honestly never been able to get down with that era band. Of course Freese is a legend, and Cortini is close to a legend, but the North / White axis up front just leaves me cold, and I'm glad neither stuck around for too long.
    Anyway, it wasn't all that bad of course, and maybe after so long I had built up my expectations so high that reality had no chance of comparing. I feel like an ungrateful git for not having as good a time as I should have, but that's how it goes I guess. Maybe there are a bunch of people who saw NIN in '94, or at the '09 TDS shows (dream come true) and didn't have an amazing experience either.
    In contrast though my second NIN show was a belter - 2014 at the O2. A much suckier venue, with a fairly generic setlist in comparison, but I really felt I was seeing a much better band, and I had a hundred times more fun. There's probably a life lesson in there somewhere.

Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    I'm the opposite - as awesome as Robin and Alessandro were when I saw the band live I would have loved to see a With Teeth/Performance 2007 show. Saying that I would have been like 13 the experience would have been wasted on me but still a man can dream.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    My first show was back in 2014 when NIN toured with QOTSA all around Australia, the first Sydney gig. I couldn't believe it when the tour was initially announced, I had a chance to see two of my favourite bands on the same night! When March came around, I was so excited. I had been obsessively watching videos from the 2013 tour, and loved how much energy and creativity Trent and co brought to the stage.

It was so awesome when A Warm Place unexpectedly boomed out from the speakers and signalled that NIN were first up. I remember wondering what song they would play first, and when it turned out to be Somewhat Damaged, I freaked out! I loved how the intro was reworked, and how it exploded in intensity. It was such a cool way to open the show, and from then on, it just got better and better. Seeing the different, groovier version of Sanctified for the first time was great... pretty much the whole setlist was brilliant! The entire show was such a fun and exciting experience, and since it was my first time seeing a band live, it was even more special!
    Last edited by acrid avid jam shred; 02-15-2017 at 08:57 PM.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tuesday May 23, 2000 in Dallas. At that time I wasn't a huge fan, only familiar with the radio hits. I had just graduated high school the previous weekend and we drove to the amphitheater, not having tickets, looking to see how cheap we could get in. Easily found two lawn tickets for $10 each and made our way inside. A Perfect Circle opened, this was the day their 1st album came out. Had only heard Judith on the radio a couple times so I wasn't really sure what to expect...thought they were great. I vividly remember the scene as NIN hit the stage: It was twilight as the screen dropped down in front of the stage and Terrible Lie just blasted through me as we lit up a joint. Security chased a guy through the crowd and tackled him directly in front of us. I was completely blinded by the strobe lights pulsating from the stage as he was dragged away. The rest of the evening was life changing, I swear I can remember the lighting configuration of every song. The three screens behind the band were displaying the most amazing images I had ever seen. The music was inside me, it was a completely visceral experience. The next day I went out and bought The Fragile and have seen NIN 20+ times since then. I still get goosebumps just thinking about it.

Mentioned
    41 Post(s)
    I wanted to start my post with a photo by Rob, but it's buried in who knows which hard drive and while not impossible to find online (I'm sure there's a readily-available archive of Spiral photos somewhere I don't have bookmarked).

My first NIN show was 3_7_06 in Erie, PA. And it was the best show I've ever been to. And not just for the "oh man it was my first show" reasons, though yes, there's that. But because if Rob had been on Trent's right instead of on his left when he took the photo I wanted to show, you would see me (one back from the rail, center stage) holding Trent's hand singing nothing can stop me now at the end of Piggy. The setlist was awesome, as I learned that Trent's "hometown shows" are the best shows, I met a lot of awesome people in The Spiral line (even though we didn't get a sound check... I never got a sound check actually...) including my best friend and NIN show buddy, and I still wish I had taken up her offer to go to the Rochester show the next day since she caught Trent's tambourine at that show.

I don't have the best memory, but there are certain parts of that day that will live in my mind forever. I remember the excitement of this being my first "real concert" (at the time I didn't count my first concert, Weird Al at the local college in like 2001 with my mom) and getting there as early as possible because I knew I wanted to be as close as I could when Trent came on stage. I didn't know what to expect at all beyond watching AATCHB over and over and over from the time it came out until years later as I left to go experience that for myself. I even listened to AATCHB on my cheap not-iPod MP3 player, because it was 2006 and I was way behind on tech.
    I was between one and two dozen people back in the line when I got there, I had made my own Spiral shirt (since I didn't get the deluxe membership that came with a shirt the first year) but it was Erie in March so I was wearing a black hoodie (to blend in with everyone else). I remember taking a disposable camera (so I wouldn't be upset if it was taken from me) and took photos of stupid things like The Spiral sign, and a group of friends that I had made in line flipping the camera off, and really just anything that kept my mind off the excitement and anxiety of "in a few hours you are going to be AT A NINE INCH NAILS CONCERT".
    Doors open. I don't remember the journey to the floor at all. I don't remember anything about pre-show except I asked the person in front of me if I could reach my arms around her to hold on to the rail once it started to try to hold off the surges of people pushing. And then Trent's niece and nephew came down and talked to a bunch of us on the rail for a few minutes, which I thought was really cool. And then Saul Williams came on, and he was awesome... except the people around me in the pit were not. As much of a city as Erie is, there were a lot of rural people at this show, and I could tell, because of the commentary I kept hearing about him. And I'll admit, being young and wanted to be one of the cool kids and fit in, I didn't say anything to them. I regret that, looking back. Other than remembering that I loved his set, and that I knew the words to a few songs thanks to the Voodoo Fest set they played together.
    Forward another... what like hour or so? The smoke starts building up. Everyone starts to woo. This is where I disagree with others, I swear I heard a little bit of A New Flesh for the first few bars of Pinion, but whatever, it was Pinion, and that build gets you pumped like nothing else. And then SLAM into Mr. Self Destruct. Suddenly, as if out of nowhere, Trent Reznor is in my face, mere feet away, screaming one of my favorite songs at me. It was surreal. A few other songs I specifically remember are The Line Begins To Blur, because I remember I kept going from watching Trent to watching the line scroll across the background branching out and activating the glitch screens. Everyday Is Exactly The Same, watching the repeating background scroll across. The screen slow down time in the middle because you always remember that stuff. And, as mentioned before, Piggy.
    I remember as the song started, I knew that he ~used to~ come down to the audience on the AATCHB dvd... so maybe I would be lucky and he would come down again, and I was right there. I saw the crew make sure the stacks of boxes in front of the stage left a clear path for him, and waving him down as he glanced at us and smirked a bit. The lights go down, and Trent is right there, and I just reach out without thinking and grab ahold of his free hand and start singing back as he leans across past me and into the crowd. I held his hand that whole fucking time (I didn't try to hold him in, though, when he started to go back up I let go and just kept singing) and I was so in that moment that I didn't notice the thumb harp he played at the end until I saw a picture of it some days later. I also remember talking about it days later on ETS and someone calling me a liar because THEY held Trent's hand at that show. Whatever, dude.

It was an amazing show, and I know this gets said a lot, but that show actually did save my life.

So, I got that date tattooed with a WT-era NIN logo.

Mentioned
    62 Post(s)
    This was my first (and, so far, only) show. I was still a relatively new fan at the time, but the experience was fantastic. I got to hear some of my favorites, as well as some tracks I wasn't as familiar with that later became favorites. My only issue was that they didn't do an encore (one of the few shows on the tour where that happened), but that wasn't the band's fault. The city has a strict noise curfew that, for some reason, applies to large indoor venues. Other than that, it was a great show. I was eager to see them again during the Tension tour, but on the day that I was supposed to see them in Detroit, I had to have emergency surgery. Just my luck. Hopefully they will come through the area...that is, if Trent doesn't decide to quit touring altogether in the near future.

Mentioned
    120 Post(s)
    re: that Erie show...Drove out from NY for that as my wife's best friend was in medical school out there at the time. They got into a fight with some dumb chick in front of us who was WAY too active throughout the show and wouldn't stop getting in everyone's personal space with her convulsions. They shut that shit DOWN.

We also all went out to dinner in Erie and apparently it's customary in that part of the country to give everyone their own separate check at dinner? It was a big group of us too...like 10. Odd but helpful.

Mentioned
    732 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by sick among the pure View Post

It was an amazing show, and I know this gets said a lot, but that show actually did save my life.
    Well, but i can certainly understand how such an experience could be life saving, you know, if you had been having a rough time.
    Like fucking vindicating. that moment of communion with someone whose work you related to so much must have been incredible.

Thanks for sharing that story!

Mentioned
    50 Post(s)
    31st March 2005, London Astoria.

You can read all about it here in all its monumentally fuckwitted teenage glory. I honestly did a sick in my mouth reading it back.

Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    My first NIN show occurred during the 1994 Self Destruct Tour. Since I was attending college in Claremont, CA (about 45 minutes from L.A.), I attended the April 27, 1994 show at the Hollywood Palace. Fem 2 Fem and Type O Negative were the opening acts. The way I got my tickets was as memorable as the show itself. Since this was well before the Internet was a thing, you either had to buy tickets via phone or in-person. My friends and I decided to go in-person and, being young, just spent the night at our local “Wherehouse Records” shop. We didn’t sleep, but, instead spent the night bullshitting, tossing a football around and other nonsense that made the night pass rather quickly. It was the only time I had ever spent the night at a ticket outlet in order to buy tickets, but, there was no way I was missing the show. Since “The Downward Spiral” had been such a huge success, it was obvious that tickets would be hard to get. So, we were the first people there and had the parking lot to ourselves up until early morning. At that point, I noticed another line forming, filled with plaid-wearing folks (ranging from teens, to much older adults). Unknown to me, that same day, tickets for the Eagles reunion show were going on sale. As the Eagles ticket line grew, I got nervous, wondering if we’d be getting tickets first or if they would let the massive line go before us. Again, we were first, but, it was clear the Eagles reunion show was big. When the store’s employees finally arrived, they were stunned by how long the line for the Eagles tickets was and hardly noticed that we were standing to the right, the only people there to buy NIN tickets. When one of the managers finally entered the store, I noticed that he had left his store keys in the door. So, not wanting to be an asshole, I knocked on the door and made sure he got the keys. He was really grateful and I guess was in a panic looking for them, while that crowd continued to grow. When the time to sell finally arrived, the line for the Eagles tickets had to be at least 200 people long. Meanwhile it was just me and my 4 friends in the NIN “line.” Since both tickets were going to be sold at the same exact time, another manager decided they were going to let the Eagles fans go first and make me and my friends wait, even though we were there all night. The shit was crazy and I was just stunned, knowing that the NIN show would sell out well before that huge Eagles line got served. The other manager (whom I gave the store keys to), caught the look of dejection in my eyes and just told his co-worker: “They’ve been here all night; they shouldn’t have to wait.” So, they decided to let me go in and buy all the tickets for my friends. Crisis averted, I managed to buy tickets for the show, which sold out in minutes.

The show itself was amazing: The Hollywood Palace was a smaller venue and I just remember this odd sense like, IDK, shit just didn’t seem real. It’s the closest I’ve felt to being on drugs without being on drugs. The show itself is a blur; all I have to remember is this cathartic sense of euphoria. The raw power was unlike anything I had ever experienced. I just remember, after the show, knowing that I had found MY band. Ever since that show, I have been a devoted NIN fan and have really enjoyed the ride. I’ve been to numerous shows since (at least one for each tour after my first) and still get that euphoric feeling that no other band has given to me, live. The “relationship” between artist and fan is an odd one: It’s like having a friend I’ve never truly known; but, never let me feel alone. I’m thankful I’ve found an artist that I connected to, for so long. I look forward to what Trent has planned next and appreciate the memories I’ve already been given.

Mentioned
    65 Post(s)
    june 2000, salt lake city, fragility.

we got to the e center (now the maverick center) around 2:00. were at the rail *until* security told everyone to sit down. seriously. so there's a row of people sitting in front of us, someone panics thinking apc is about to start, stands up and causes a stampede. my best friend clawed his way to the rail and i was crammed probably three people deep.

apc comes on (probably an hour later) and i'm crushed. at several points my feet weren't on the ground, rather dragged here to there. the crowd was insanely aggressive and i couldn't breathe. i lasted to "judith", but couldn't take that shit anymore. once everyone eased up a bit after the opener i decided to squirm my way out of that nonsense and to the back right of the crowd.

long, heartbreaking story short, i watched nin for the first time from about 20 feet back on the right side with enough room to breathe.

the show was beautiful and unforgettable, even if i had to 'tap out", so to speak.

there was nothing *fun* or any sense of a so-called *true experience* being where i was during apc. my best friend ended up on aatchb during "terrible lie", but he lost feeling in his hands for three weeks after the show.

still, 10/10.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    6/6/00 at The Arrowhead Pond(now the Honda Center) in Anaheim, CA with A Perfect Circle. I waited 4 hours in line to buy Tix and got 2 floor. Went with a friend and it was awesome. I was using a lot of drugs at the time but went to this show sober and it was great. When NIN started people went crazy. It wasn't a mosh pit, just everyone trying to rush forward. It's like my feet stayed in the same place but the rest of my body was moving all over the place. In some ways, this is still my fav NIN concert I've attended.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    A few years back in Melb. NIN was playing with QOTSA and on coin flip they went first. Pretty good show but I expected it to be better than Marilyn Manson which it wasn't unfortunately. Yeah so I seen the show,
    Liked the songs being played, some stuff I never heard before. I ducked out after they finished and QOTSA came on, kinda regret it but whatever. Also weird thing happened, I entered through door 13, spooky.

Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    NIN as a headliner....
    Jim Rose Circus and Marilyn Manson. PRICELESS!!
    NIN offered a very unique shirt during this tour with the NIN logo embroidered on the tshirt. Sadly it was lost in a bitter divorce.

(NIN was an opener for Skinny Puppy in the late 80's. Although it seems like we missed any openers at the show I went to...? At the time I had no clue who SP was either. My friend had just broken up with his gfriend and asked me to go in her place.)
    Last edited by muse-lyre candy; 07-17-2017 at 10:35 PM.

Mentioned
    22 Post(s)

Tell us about your first NIN show

the first time i got to see NIN was on my 28th birthday at Coachella '05. (5-1-05)
    we (my missus, my little sister & me) flew from the UK, stayed in Palm Springs, on the days leading up to and days after before flying back, and camped over the weekend,
    was my first and only visit to the US!
    we got to see some awesome bands/artists
    it was a great weekend, so many great memories

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
    Last edited by [parasite]; 07-16-2017 at 03:13 AM.

Mentioned
    122 Post(s)
    June 3rd, 2000
    San Diego, CA
    COX ARENA

My first show was during the Fragility Tour and I can remember my mom allowing me to skip school so I could go wait out front of ticketmaster to get tickets. I secured GA tickets and was thrilled to finally be able to see my favorite band. Went to the venue super early and met a couple of people who I am still friends with to this day. We swapped stories about how we all got into Nails and what our favorite tracks were from The Fragile. After the show I made my way to the back of the venue and waited to see if we could catch anyone before they got on the tour bus. After waiting nearly three hours, a security guard came out and told us that TR was going to come out and say hello, sign some autographs, and that we could take one photo with him. By this time our group had dwindled down to about 15 people and we all lined up to get our chance to meet the man. When it came time for me to meet TR I was as giddy as a school girl and nervous to boot. I shook his hand, handed him my ticket stub while thanking him for taking the time to come out and say hello to everyone, and the snapped a photo real quickly before walking off. Just as my friend was heading up to meet TR, I turned around and said "Hey Trent, do you think you will come out and say hello to us fans in Anaheim?" - Anaheim was on the 6th and was the next show on the tour - He looked at me, smiled, and said "yeah man, I think I can do that." I walked away from that experience in total awe as I never thought I would get a chance to meet the man who has helped shape who I am as a person. My friends and I went to Denny's later on that night (it was sort of a tradition for after concerts) and I remember sitting there in the booth holding my ticket in the Fragility ticket holder thing and couldn't believe I had just met TR.

A few days later I went to Anaheim and saw them again which was another great show. A good portion of us who were waiting in San Diego showed up at the bus ramp in Anaheim, but sadly TR didn't come out. While we were waiting thought, a talk skinny guy with fucked up hair started to make his way up the ramp. The lighting was really poor so it was hard to see who this person was. At first we thought it was a roadie, but as he got closer we couldn't make up our mind if he was or not. He walked passed us and no one said hello or anything and thats when he turned back around to us while saying something to his friend and that's when a girl noticed who it was.....it was Robin. He seemed kinda shocked that no one asked him for a autograph and was a little upset once we finally figured out who he was. He signed one signature for the girl who called out his name and then shuffled off to the tour bus. After that we waited another 30 minutes before calling it a night and then made our way to our car so we could get started on driving back to San Diego.

And there you have it, my first two NIN shows were 17 years ago...christ I'm getting old...

*SIDE NOTE* who remembers the ETS member passes that were made during the first leg of the WITH_TEETH Tour? I still have mine and keep it with my backstage pass collection:

Mentioned
    27 Post(s)
    My first show was in October of 2005. I got into the band around 2001 or 2002 when I 14 or 15 and I pretty much fell down the rabbit hole of becoming utterly obsessed with their discography, aura and everything else in between. I think back to how incredible it would've been to have seen them when they played St. Louis in the spring of 2000 during their Fragility 2.0 tour, but I didn't have any relatives who would've taken me and they weren't even on my radar as far as being into them goes. I was only in sixth grade, mind you.

So as the years went by and 2005 rolled around when With Teeth finally dropped, I remember being on EtS all the time and falling in love with that record. We all knew at some point that NIN was going to tour, but I think it was during the summer that they finally announced the With Teeth arena fall tour dates. That summer was probably one of the most memorable of my entire life as I wasn't really the kind of kid who always hung out with friends all the time and all day. This even had lead into my adult life ... where I feel like I need my alone time a lot, but that summer I was in my first band with some great friends and we were hanging out almost every other day. It was through this group of friends that I met a girl who ended up being my first genuine relationship that lasted almost two years. So it was this group that ended up going to the local Ticketmaster hub at our nearby Schnuck's grocery store to go get our tickets for Nine Inch Nails show later August. This was huge for me and the drummer in the band at the time as we were HUGE into NIN.

So October rolls around ... and that Nine Inch Nails show ended up being the first show for seeing a band that was a true favorite of mine live. Previously, I had gone with friends to see cheap seat shows of bands like KISS and Motley Crue. I remember the feeling of excitement, anxiousness and anticipation. My friend and I were a little disappointed that Jerome Dillon wasn't able to play, as during that time Alex Carapetis had taken his spot after Jerome had health concerns.

The show blew me away and being able to hear songs that I knew every second to in a live capacity was what I think turned me into being so obsessed with seeing live music for bands I'm inspired by. I know I REALLY wanted to hear Deep since it was in rotation early on in the tour, but thinking back ... I was glad to be able to hear Sin, Suck and Starfuckers, Inc. before they fell out of the current setlists as of late.

I've been able to see them in 2008 and 2013 in St. Louis and 2009 in Kansas City. All the shows afterwards have been good (although bordering on a little samey-samey setlist wise) but nothing really compared to that original show nearly 12 years ago. Hopefully come 2017/2018 ... I'll be able to see more than just a local nearby show and catch a couple more.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Ok so I will return to this thread and read all of these and tell my whole story AFTER sunday night. Because right now I'm so excited my coworkers made these for me..

I'M SO EXCITED YOU GUYS I'VE BEEN A FAN FOR LIKE 20 YEARS

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    December 3, 1994 - Boston Garden (Marilyn Manson & Jim Rose Circus opened)

This was my first concert with friends and without my parents. (Though they did drive us to the show as we were all 15 at the time.)

It was just this crazy outstanding loud show that erupted into a "mini-riot". Lots of folks were sitting in the floor seats, not standing or dancing. I remember this quote from Trent right after March of the Pigs..."when you sit in these chairs, it doesn't make me feel better." Eventually most of those chairs ended up stacked up in giant piles at the back of the floor. People passed them overhead, probably threw some of them too. Of course a few were broken as well. The floor erupted into the largest mosh pit I've ever seen. The newspapers in Boston went a little overboard the next day with the scale of the "riot". It was one of the last concerts played in the old Boston Garden before they tore it down.

I still have my t-shirt from that concert, though it's not in the best of shape.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    26 years ago today, I discovered Nine Inch Nails at Lollapalooza near Kansas City. They went on late-afternoon, and immediately made an impression. In fact, I recall thinking that the strobe light effects (used to a crazy degree I had never before seen) would be so much better at night. Fresh out of high school at 17, I was there mainly for JA and Living Colour; I had not done much reading into the lineup (Ice-T and Body Count dominated the news among the lesser known acts), so I knew nothing about NIN. Anyway, they absolutely blew me away with their performance, and literally stole the festival in my mind. I went out the very next day and bought PHM on cassette and have been one of the faithful ever since. Hard to believe it's been 'twenty-six years, on my way to'...many more, hopefully.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    May 18th 2000 , Lakeland Fl. Fragility2.0
    I've seen NIN 3 times since then but nothing can ever top the anticipation and excitement of that first time. I was 16, went with 2 other friends (my parents drove us and dropped us off). We were on the floor so stood in line for hours to get a good spot. APC was amazing and I feel so lucky to have experienced Mer de noms for the first time live (the actual album came out a week later if i recall). Once nin hit the stage and the shit hit the fan (like seconds into terrible lie) i got tripped up on other peoples feet and went to the ground and was trampled for a few minutes before getting back to my feet. Got out of the crowd for a bit to catch my breath and shake it off, then the rest of the show was amazing, everything i could have hope for. We were lucky enough to get one of the few performances of the fragile that was performed on that tour, very cool. in the end i came out bruised, sore, and exhausted, and to this day its still probably the best concert experience of my life.

Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Buzburbank reminded me. It'll be the same on the 5th for me. A friend had put the headphones on my ears almost a year before, that. The one chance I had to see them, I missed, until then. I didn't really pay much attention to anything but the PHM tape I had, but I loved it a great deal. I had no idea what to expect. We were seated at the edge of the grass in the lawn for the day. There were several bands I was there to see, but I admit I was most excited to see NIN. We sneaked into the seating area to watch. The festival was overall kind of... well, not my thing, to put it politely. I enjoyed NIN more than I did anyone else. Siouxsie didn't sound good in that venue. I don't know why. JA was okay, but it wasn't my favorite band. All I can remember is Ferrell trying to get someone to go on stage and give him a blow job. So yeah, NIN is the only thing I liked about that whole trip. I remember being sunburnt, my hair being a huge mess of frizz, and some asshole walking through the grass and getting mad that we had a blanket and were resting through something we didn't care for. I have never been much of a festival goer since then, either. I wouldn't see them again until December 1994. (I think it was December.) Honestly, the Louisville concert for Downward Spiral was more like seeing them for the first time. That was a crazy night. There was no one checking tickets. We wandered in and out of the pit all night. We sat wherever there were seats available as needed. I nearly lost my shoe, had to bend down to get it, and almost didn't get back up. And I was in a not so great place, and balled during SICNH. Good times.