Page 17 of 17 FirstFirst ... 7 15 16 17

Thread: Patriots Day (2016)

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    I wish TR would release the FYC film version along with the album soundtrack as a deluxe edition.

Mentioned
    33 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by FineFinchTails View Post
    I wish TR would release the FYC film version along with the album soundtrack as a deluxe edition.
    I would just be happy with the commercial release on vinyl...

Mentioned
    8 Post(s)
    Just watched the film. Much like the movie, the score does it job, and it does it right, somewhat. More akin to a statue to commemorate the event, but.. the hollywood way. It has it flaws, being a bit patchy at times, and notably pushing a bit much during some dialogue with, for example, the simplicity of a duality of bad/good, but it works I guess, if you consider it as an extension of the faith of the character. But anyway, the way real footage is interwinded with re-created footage and the way the events unfold is greatly crafted, and (as I read), accurate. Which is enough.

For the score, I could still decipher the NIN-ness of it, in the subtlety of the piano-based tracks, the way the few moments where a guitar is present unfolds.

But a moment hit me. If I recall well, it's a scene after the bombs already exploded. We get a view of the city, the piano brings out a certain emotion after the events, we get to a specific street, and we go into a dinner with the chinese character speaking to his friend (soon to be girlfriend ?), and at that precise moment, the switch between the events and the mundane life, there is a slight piano fill between two notes, an inflection, a subtle change of pace, which gradually segues the horror with the routine, the everyday life. It links the different people, the different events through the music, making them all more connected, and perfectly expressing a certain message of the film : the importance of the community. That we act as a whole. It's not primarily about the way we act, individually, it's the way the mass acts, the way we deal with the structures within our societies, and the way things can really change.

And well, that moment only, makes it great. I'm certain this isn't exactly what T&A envisioned with this project, maybe this particular moment in this piece wasn't for this scene, or to be used that way.. but in the end, this seems so effortless, so perfect, I'd guess this is one of the part of the score they can be proud of, despite their experience on this film (from what I can decipher from interviews). But this makes it worth it. And I didn't even listen to the album itself, yet.
    Last edited by StockAvuryah; 02-27-2019 at 08:18 PM.

Mentioned
    8 Post(s)
    Just curious; does anybody know of a decently-priced source for this soundtrack? It’s the one soundtrack I’ve yet to hear from TR/AR, and would love to.

Sorry if my bump of this thread has lead anybody to think there is actual news of a physical release.

Mentioned
    62 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by muad'nin View Post
    Just curious; does anybody know of a decently-priced source for this soundtrack? It’s the one soundtrack I’ve yet to hear from TR/AR, and would love to.

Sorry if my bump of this thread has lead anybody to think there is actual news of a physical release.
    Album Patriots Day (Original Motion Picture Soundtrack), Trent Reznor and Atticus Ross | Qobuz: download and streaming in high quality

Mentioned
    8 Post(s)

Mentioned
    33 Post(s)
    Captain's Log (Day 1,865):

We sit on this rocky sea, still waiting. Waiting for the day to come that we know may never come. Goddamn...nearly a decade now in only four short years... I feel our search will end soon...with nothing to show for it. We will continue but the crew is growing tired...some already lost along the way. (sigh) Today we carry on... maybe. maybe, soon. soon. maybe soon we shall see the elusive vinyl. until then.

End Captain's Log.

Mentioned
    250 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by reznor2112 View Post
    soon. Soon. Maybe soon
    now it's never happening nah, nah, nah, nah, nah, nah, nah

Mentioned
    185 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by botley View Post
    now it's never happening nah, nah, nah, nah, nah, nah, nah
    *sings along with tdtwwa*

nah nah nah nahh, nah nah nah nah nahhhh…