Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: Stabbing Westward

Mentioned
    49 Post(s)
    Not at all!

Mentioned
    168 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by neorev View Post

IWO JESUS, the 1989 4 song cassette EP that launched SW has been resurrected. The original EP was recorded in 1989 on an 8 track tape machine synched to an Emax II Sampler and an EMU SP1200 sampling drum machine. 100 copies were originally printed and sold both at local shows and in the legendary Wax Trax Record store in Chicago. The first time we walked into the store and Frankie from Thrill Kill Kult was playing our tape in the store I thought my heart was going to explode. Walter found the tape during a recent move and tried to remaster it but the tape was badly worn and was more noise than music. (which back then I would’ve considered a compliment). We made the decision earlier this year to attempt to recreate the original as faithfully as possible using what gear we had in our closets and utilizing more modern gear to fill in the gaps. It was difficult for me to not “improve” the songs. (It’s my perfectionist producer mentality). But we chose to let them remain trapped in 1989 and embrace the angsty industrial rage of the late 80’s. We pressed IWO JESUS as a limited edition of 300 Purple vinyl and reconstructed the original cassette artwork into a gorgeous 12 inch piece of history. Hope you enjoy owning it as much as Walter and I enjoyed making it. Chris.

Buy here:
    https://www.stabbingwestward.com/buy...jesus-ep-vinyl
    I got excited because i thought that was a new album ...or maybe it's some kind of "teaser"?

Mentioned
    96 Post(s)
    Iwo Jesus EP is now available digitally for sale through their website. $5 for lossless download, not bad!

Mentioned
    96 Post(s)
    Did anyone here pick up the digital? What did you think? Did Chris and Walter do a good job recreating these tracks? I have Plastic Jesus from the Cold Waves comp and thought it sounded great.

Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Did anyone here pick up the digital? What did you think? Did Chris and Walter do a good job recreating these tracks? I have Plastic Jesus from the Cold Waves comp and thought it sounded great.
    They have teasers on the website. They sound pretty good to me. For a lossless digital copy at $5, I'm in.

Edit: Someone uploaded the originals on YouTube, but they call the EP Iwo Jimma [https://www.youtube.com/playlist?lis...S6T3DK3zWDqWhB]. Definitely some noticeable differences between the originals and re-recorded versions, but they mostly maintain the spirit.

Edit 2: It sounds to me like Chris' vocals are pitch corrected with a fairly high retuning speed. Anyone else hearing that? I find that to be an odd choice as he could have easily corrected his vocals without making it sound obvious. I'm making this claim as an engineer/producer that uses AutoTune on occasion as subtly as possible, but I could certainly be wrong.
    Last edited by wight rabbit; 04-24-2019 at 08:54 PM.

Mentioned
    96 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Triggermine View Post
    They have teasers on the website. They sound pretty good to me. For a lossless digital copy at $5, I'm in.

Edit: Someone uploaded the originals on YouTube, but they call the EP Iwo Jimma [https://www.youtube.com/playlist?lis...S6T3DK3zWDqWhB]. Definitely some noticeable differences between the originals and re-recorded versions, but they mostly maintain the spirit.

Edit 2: It sounds to me like Chris' vocals are pitch corrected with a fairly high retuning speed. Anyone else hearing that? I find that to be an odd choice as he could have easily corrected his vocals without making it sound obvious. I'm making this claim as an engineer/producer that uses AutoTune on occasion as subtly as possible, but I could certainly be wrong.
    It is definitely Iwo Jesus as listed on Discogs...
    https://www.discogs.com/Stabbing-Wes...lease/11823692

I saw a crap 128kbps rip of the original tape on Soulseek with the incorrect title Iwo Jimma. The uploader probably got it from there without realizing who uploaded put the wrong title.

Mentioned
    96 Post(s)
    https://www.instagram.com/p/B5w0mxEnsHW/

So Stabbing Westward is releasing a trilogy of EPs in 2020, with the first titled Dead And Gone and out on January 3rd. It will feature 3x brand new tracks plus 2x remixes (one being a remix by Walter Flakus himself). At the end of the year, the EP tracks will be compiled into an album with 2x additional tracks.

http://regenmag.com/news/stabbing-we...9-cDzwHZ_DL1aY

Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Was excited until no Andy.

Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    No Andy shouldn't be a surprise considering.

Mentioned
    96 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by zaps30 View Post
    No Andy shouldn't be a surprise considering.
    Didn't he try to steal the name from Chris? Anyway, Chris & Walter are SW. I rather have Suycott and Zechman over Andy.

Mentioned
    10 Post(s)
    This is great news! Can't wait for the new material.

Mentioned
    12 Post(s)
    I guess I don't see how this is any different from the Dreaming's last album, since 3 of the 4 people involved with this were also on that album. Also, where did Mark Eliopulos go?

Don't get me wrong, I'm excited as hell for this. Chris and Walter create magic together.

Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by halo eighteen View Post
    Also, where did Mark Eliopulos go?
    From August:

https://www.instagram.com/p/B0wOs62B2dW/

As some of you may or may not already know, I've decided to leave the band. I no longer have the time necessary to do it the way it should be done, so it's time for me to move on. It's been so great playing for everyone again after such a long time, meeting some amazing people, and seeing old friends. I'll be lurking about here with updates on future endeavors and political rants and guitar nerdery and general tomfoolery for those of you who might be interested in that sort of thing. Thanks to everyone for all the love and support; I hope to see you all again soon.

Mentioned
    141 Post(s)

Last edited by ManBurning; 01-03-2020 at 01:50 AM.

Mentioned
    96 Post(s)
    Dead and Gone EP

01. Dead and Gone 4:12
    02. Cold 4:29
    03. Crawl 3:43
    04. Dead and Gone Stoneburner Mix 4:32
    05. Cold StabWalt's 12" Dance Mix 5:24

https://stabbingwestward.bandcamp.co.../dead-and-gone
    Last edited by neorev; 01-03-2020 at 02:51 AM.

Mentioned
    12 Post(s)
    The title track straight up sounds like The Dreaming. Cold was way more interesting and outside the box. That's all that I listened to on the drive into work this morning haha.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Cold is the standout track for me, but I’m enjoying it all. Good to hear these guys back. Remix tracks are tight!
    Last edited by Graz; 01-03-2020 at 09:14 PM.

Mentioned
    53 Post(s)
    Nothing revolutionary with the new EP but the songs sound pretty good. Standard Stabbing Westward fare.

Mentioned
    10 Post(s)
    Just stumbled upon this EP and I am enjoying it, playing over and over.

Chris Hall has a killer voice and has a talent for holding his tone, but what impresses me is how he can put some serious power behind his voice, for example at the 1:17 mark for the new song 'CRAWL', when he screams CRAWLLLL wow, good stuff man.

And the sound they produce and arrange is fantastic.

Fingers crossed that they stay together.

Also, CRAWL is a bit like a goth/industrial version of a 'The Weeknd' song.

Mentioned
    96 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by snaapz View Post
    Just stumbled upon this EP and I am enjoying it, playing over and over.

Chris Hall has a killer voice and has a talent for holding his tone, but what impresses me is how he can put some serious power behind his voice, for example at the 1:17 mark for the new song 'CRAWL', when he screams CRAWLLLL wow, good stuff man.

And the sound they produce and arrange is fantastic.

Fingers crossed that they stay together.

Also, CRAWL is a bit like a goth/industrial version of a 'The Weeknd' song.
    They are planning 3x EPs this year with an album that will combine all the original tracks and include additional tracks.

Mentioned
    12 Post(s)
    They are planning 3x EPs this year with an album that will combine all the original tracks and include additional tracks.
    An EP trilogy, you say?

Mentioned
    96 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by tricil View Post
    An EP trilogy, you say?
    Hall revealed that a series of EPs are in the works for the remainder of 2020. “The idea is to do three EPs, three songs each, do some remixes and have some cool cuts or bonus material on each and then at the end of the year we’re gonna release all three EPs and a fourth EP worth of material and make a finished album and do like a cool colored vinyl release of some sort,” explains Hall.

https://loudwire.com/stabbing-westward-multiple-eps-2020/

Between this and the new Deadsy album coming, 2020 is looking to be a good year.

Mentioned
    73 Post(s)
    Between this and the new Deadsy album coming, 2020 is looking to be a good year.
    Say WHAAAAAAAT!??!

Mentioned
    96 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by richardp View Post
    Say WHAAAAAAAT!??!
    Yup, they've been working on it for a couple of years now. I remember clips showing up back in 2017.

Elijah Blue was posting clips on his Instagram...
    https://www.instagram.com/p/B72RmnUgSlN/

And also on the Deadsy Instagram.

Alec Puro recording drums the other day...
    https://www.instagram.com/p/B71wXYQnks0/

Originally they were gonna do an EP, but it has now become an album. There were a few new demo clips, but they removed them. They sounded pure Deadsy!

The Mansion World YouTube fan page has collected some of them...

Last edited by neorev; 01-28-2020 at 08:47 PM.

Mentioned
    73 Post(s)
    Holy shit those clips sound awesome. I had no idea Deadsy was even back together. That's fucking exciting!

Mentioned
    96 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by richardp View Post
    Holy shit those clips sound awesome. I had no idea Deadsy was even back together. That's fucking exciting!
    Now we just need a Stabbing Westward/Deadsy tour

... and someone tell Gravity Kills to reunite.

Mentioned
    528 Post(s)
    Now we just need a Stabbing Westward/Deadsy tour

... and someone tell Gravity Kills to reunite.
    nah, they were found guilty.

Mentioned
    96 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by eversonpoe View Post
    nah, they were found guilty.

I'm actually friends with Jeff, Doug, and Matt of GK on Facebook. I know Jeff mentioned them wanting to get back together, but they're all doing their own thing and have families. But there is a chance it could happen one day.

Mentioned
    22 Post(s)
    If you're in the know, i guess i'll wait until i hear it... from your mouth.

Mentioned
    49 Post(s)
    Looks like they will be the headliners for day one of Cold Waves, September 18th. Haven't seen them since 2001, a festival set and they played during the middle of the day. I think The Metro is a much more fitting environment lol