Faceplams Faceplams:  0
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Random score questions

Mentioned
    8 Post(s)

Random score questions

(it's exactly like the Random NIN questions thread but for scores)

So I was wondering, what are your favorite "moments" from the soundtracks we have now ? It can be a track, a series of tracks seguing together, a single sound.

For example that one thing that moved you deeply during the 3 hours of The Girl With The Dragon Tatoo soundtrack, like the singular aspect of a track (What If We Could?).

Or even essentials moments of the soundtracks, that could be lost for some of us who do not have the attention span for so much listening.

Mentioned
    207 Post(s)
    Love and Mercy's Losing It is honestly what it sounds like to have sensory overload, and I've never heard that expressed quite right before.

Quake's Hall of Souls [or whatever the real name is, come on Trent just tell us] has a beautiful way of making me feel nervous always

Gone Girl's Technically Missing gradual buildup of a wall of sound is just damn beautiful

Mentioned
    250 Post(s)
    I think "Procedural" and "Technically, Missing" are my favourite tracks from the Gone Girl soundtrack. Very tense, well-paced and layered -- but with a low-key vibe that suits me well, either for working in the office, commuting with headphones, or listening intently at home with the speakers on blast. Kind of like the best parts of the Social Network score but with an extra edge of paranoid mania.

Mentioned
    49 Post(s)
    The piano at the end of Carbon Prevails from Social Network, I get goosebumps from the build up and pay off in Great Bird of Prey from Dragon Tattoo. 8 billion from Before the Flood has all the feels. Love The Night Drive from Patriots Day, Consummation from Gone Girl. Still processing The Vietnam War, I have the episodes recorded and would really like to watch them first but the subject is so depressing it’s not something you really fancy watching after a hard day

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Mentioned
    54 Post(s)
    I'm gonna list a quick breakdown by album - if I've left the album out, it's because something hasn't stood out to me... yet.

Social Network - Painted Sun In Abstract - the piano crescendo before the 80s chippy-synth kicks in was my morning wake-up alarm tone for the longest time. It's amazingly beautiful to me. Eventually We Find Our Way - the last two minutes of this are amazing and the subtlety in the outro still amazes me.

TGWTDT - What If We Could? - I get misty-eyed during this one. Great Bird Of Prey - Intense and I love it. She Reminds Me Of You is another haunting track but not as haunting as Aphelion.

Gone Girl - Sugar Storm, Just Like You (Mike Garson outro FTW), Appearances, Like Home, Technically, Missing, At Risk / Consummation (Reprise) - there's a lot of great music on this one for me.

Before The Flood - And When The Sky Was Opened, At Dusk, 8 Billion and Before The Flood are my go-to tracks for reading.

The Vietnam War - Less Likely is so damn depressing. I love it.

Mid90s - All of it. I'd take a full-length album of this soundtrack.

Bird Box - Careful What You Wish For still scares the holy hell out of me. Undercurrents is also dreadful in the best way possible.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    So, I am wondering about something ...

I do hear a lot of scores lately, which sound a LOT like TR/AR's score work. Was it THEM that started this kind of sound of score work and they have since been influencing others in the industry or have these kind of scores been existing een before?

And I'm not only talking about some of their signature sounds which definitely seem to get copied by others. Rather if this kind of electronic / synth driven type of score has been done by others before.

Maybe it's a bit of stupid question, but I don't follow other score writers that much,
    And, undoubtedly, there will have been other composers writing synth scores.

I'm just wondering (wishing?) how much of an impact TR/AR had on score music ever since they started with TSN.

Thanx fo any insight.

Mentioned
    32 Post(s)
    A very common practice is producers/directors putting in music they like or think fits perfectly with any given scene they are in the process of editing, otherwise known as "temp" (temporary) music. What you're hearing is likely that other composer's interpretation of their work.

Mentioned
    17 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by opal View Post
    So, I am wondering about something ...

I do hear a lot of scores lately, which sound a LOT like TR/AR's score work. Was it THEM that started this kind of sound of score work and they have since been influencing others in the industry or have these kind of scores been existing een before?

And I'm not only talking about some of their signature sounds which definitely seem to get copied by others. Rather if this kind of electronic / synth driven type of score has been done by others before.

Maybe it's a bit of stupid question, but I don't follow other score writers that much,
    And, undoubtedly, there will have been other composers writing synth scores.

I'm just wondering (wishing?) how much of an impact TR/AR had on score music ever since they started with TSN.

Thanx fo any insight.
    They weren't the first to do it, but they have definitely have made it more popular. Check out Clint Mansell's Moon score, it came out a year before The Social Network, and it's a very similar vibe to TR & AR's work. There's obviously more examples than just this one, but it's the first that pops into my head. That said, I do believe that the current sound of tense movie scores is a direct response to their work.

Mentioned
    49 Post(s)
    My first experience of electronic music in tv / film was the theme to Dr Who in 1963 (note watching it in mid 70s, I’m not THAT old but 1963 is when it was created)
    https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Doctor_Who_theme_music

also, Vangelis, the music to Terminator, music to John Carpenter films. But I don’t watch nearly enough films and there were probably loads of more electronic scores in the 70s and 80s

there was also a controversy about Eurythmics writing the score to the film 1984 and being dissed by the director who had a ‘proper’ orchestral score ready to go and said he was forced to use the Eurythmics by Virgin who funded the film. It’s very interesting looking at how long it’s taken to get any respect for electronic scores!

https://diffuser.fm/eurythmics-1984-soundtrack/

I watched 1984 at the time and didn’t really like the film but not because of the music. I’d be very interested to go back now and watch it on a dvd where you can watch it with or without the electronic music and compare

Mentioned
    277 Post(s)
    Maybe someone here has a quick answer. But for any of the scores that they've done. Have any of the "For Your Consideration" CDs have any different tracks than the original releases? Or just some different track titles?

Mentioned
    96 Post(s)
    The Social Network has an extra track (Dinner With Sean) and an early version of some other track from the soundtrack (forgot which one). Obviously some tracks edited in different way, but don't have any new parts in them.

TGTWTD also has a lot of different edits and maybe one or two tracks where some ambient stuff from released tracks was pulled from behind and left on its own, which I consider not a new song.

Never checked any other FYC scores (don't know if they even leaked)

Mentioned
    277 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by fillow View Post
    The Social Network has an extra track (Dinner With Sean) and an early version of some other track from the soundtrack (forgot which one). Obviously some tracks edited in different way, but don't have any new parts in them.

TGTWTD also has a lot of different edits and maybe one or two tracks where some ambient stuff from released tracks was pulled from behind and left on its own, which I consider not a new song.

Never checked any other FYC scores (don't know if they even leaked)
    Thank you! I wish I had the time to compare and I know there are people out there more knowledgeable than I.

Mentioned
    45 Post(s)
    Hopefully, eventually, this will all be in the wiki.

There's a FYC for patriots day I believe

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    I really love the menu music from the Closure DVD. It sounds like outtake(s) from Quake. Was it ever explained where that music came from (e.g. material from TDS sessions, Quake, new, etc)?

Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by WorzelG View Post
    I watched 1984 at the time and didn’t really like the film but not because of the music. I’d be very interested to go back now and watch it on a dvd where you can watch it with or without the electronic music and compare
    Interesting. I think that 1984 is by far my favorite book-to-film adaptation. It definitely helps if you're fairly familiar with the book though, as the film very frequently uses symbolic shorthand that you might not recognize and/or appreciate without that familiarity.

Mentioned
    49 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by LexTron6K View Post
    Interesting. I think that 1984 is by far my favorite book-to-film adaptation. It definitely helps if you're fairly familiar with the book though, as the film very frequently uses symbolic shorthand that you might not recognize and/or appreciate without that familiarity.
    i absolutely love the book though, I only watched it once, not sure why I didn’t like it to be honest. Will probably give it a go again as I’m a lot older now, but I’d like to get a dvd that I know exists that has a choice of both scores so you can compare. I thought Eurythmics were really harshly treated by the director and the guy that did the classical score has hardly done anything interesting since, he’s hardly John Williams

Mentioned
    250 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by buckaroo View Post
    I really love the menu music from the Closure DVD. It sounds like outtake(s) from Quake. Was it ever explained where that music came from (e.g. material from TDS sessions, Quake, new, etc)?
    I think it was all-new modular synth stuff done circa 2004 at the same time as the Bleedthrough sessions.

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by botley View Post
    I think it was all-new modular synth stuff done circa 2004 at the same time as the Bleedthrough sessions.
    Thanks. I was hoping maybe that some of that stuff would show up on an expanded Quake release. Still pretty cool that something so close in sound and vibe to the mid 90's material was done then. I really miss that sound honestly.

Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by WorzelG View Post
    I thought Eurythmics were really harshly treated by the director and the guy that did the classical score has hardly done anything interesting since, he’s hardly John Williams
    I’ve never personally been a huge fan of the Eurythmics, but I thought the score was absolutely perfect for the film, and the score also brought me a much deeper appreciation for them that I definitely wouldn’t have found otherwise.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    how do you guys tag the score albums? on streaming they are a bit of a mess: once theyre labeled as scores, once as soundtracks, i tried just leaving the movie title for the album tag but it feels weird now...

Mentioned
    250 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Wulgaren View Post
    how do you guys tag the score albums? on streaming they are a bit of a mess: once theyre labeled as scores, once as soundtracks, i tried just leaving the movie title for the album tag but it feels weird now...
    Soundtrack is the genre, "(Original Score)" usually comes after the film/TV title in the album field. For Before the Flood, I left all four artists' names in the Album Artist field, then tagged each individual track with the Artist credits as they appear in the liner notes.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    so for example Before the Flood (Original Score), Watchmen (Original Score), etc? looks good! what did you do with quake? Quake (Original Score)?

Mentioned
    17 Post(s)
    I'm just going to add how annoying it is that half the downloads says "Trent Reznor and Atticus Ross" and half say "Trent Reznor & Atticus Ross"

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    yup now i have my last fm scrobbles split between those two names lol

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    there are obviously many great moments in TR&AR scores, and i'd say many of my favorites can be found in The Social Network and Watchmen, but of all of my favorites, i'm gonna have to go with Oraculum from Dragon Tattoo. i remember reading the book in high school and eventually seeing the movie a few years later, but listened to the score quite a bit beforehand, and as a drummer/percussionist, that one track just excited me every time i heard it.

Mentioned
    250 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Wulgaren View Post
    so for example Before the Flood (Original Score), Watchmen (Original Score), etc? looks good! what did you do with quake? Quake (Original Score)?
    Yeah... although because Watchmen is broken up into three, it's Watchmen, Vol. 1 (Original Score) for example.

Quote Originally Posted by RJK View Post
    I'm just going to add how annoying it is that half the downloads says "Trent Reznor and Atticus Ross" and half say "Trent Reznor & Atticus Ross"
    A comma is also an option... on Tidal, one of the two Dispatches from Elsewhere albums is tagged with commas to separate Atticus, Claudia, and Leopold but the other uses ampersands (which then breaks the auto-population of their names as separate artists).
    Last edited by botley; 10-21-2020 at 10:24 AM.

Mentioned
    528 Post(s)
    in my music library, since i know they're scores, i just leave the title. i don't need the parenthetical of (Original Score) to know what i'm listening to, y'know?

also, ALWAYS "Trent Reznor and Atticus Ross" despite liking ampersands.

Mentioned
    113 Post(s)
    Trent Reznor and Atticus Ross:
    The Social Network
    Gone Girl
    Before the Flood
    Patriots Day
    Bird Box Extended
    Watchmen

Trent Reznor & Atticus Ross:
    Juno
    Before the Flood
    Patriots Day
    Vietnam War
    John Carpenter's Halloween
    mid90s
    Bird Box Abridged
    Waves

Trent Reznor / Atticus Ross:
    The Girl with the Dragon Tattoo

Trent Reznor, Atticus Ross
    Watchmen

Mentioned
    528 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by TheBang View Post
    Trent Reznor and Atticus Ross:
    The Social Network
    Gone Girl
    Before the Flood
    Patriots Day
    Bird Box Extended
    Watchmen

Trent Reznor & Atticus Ross:
    Juno
    Before the Flood
    Patriots Day
    Vietnam War
    John Carpenter's Halloween
    mid90s
    Bird Box Abridged
    Waves

Trent Reznor / Atticus Ross:
    The Girl with the Dragon Tattoo

Trent Reznor, Atticus Ross
    Watchmen

Mentioned
    13 Post(s)
    Ampersands are fancy. I use them whenever I can.