Page 5 of 23 FirstFirst ... 3 4 5 6 7 15 ... LastLast

Thread: Before the Flood (2016)

Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Reptile intro keyboards starting at 3:20?

Mentioned
    17 Post(s)
    I like the nah-nah-nahs. They seem a bit off, but I think the whole song sounds kind of off and that they did obviously on purpose. I'm not great in music theory but I believe there are some funny things going on regarding different time structures. To me all of that support the fragile nature of the vocals and more importantly the whole song itself. It seems like everything is breaking down and there is this really peaceful cry for help. I dig it a lot.

Mentioned
    96 Post(s)
    I'd like to purchase the 24 bit lossless separately.
    Hopefully more options are made available.

Mentioned
    96 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by GavinCollins420 View Post
    Can I acquire this anywhere thay doesn't involve pre-ordering the vinyl or signing up for Apple music?

Getting real tired of this platform exclusivity thing.

EDIT: the track, I mean.
    Agreed, buddy

Mentioned
    207 Post(s)
    Someone tag me once it pops onto Amazon, because I ain't paying £40+ postage

Fancy tunes though

Mentioned
    33 Post(s)
    Digital version is available for pre-order on iTunes without an Apple Music account.

On a side note, I am having Social Network anxiety. I waited too long and never got it on vinyl...want to wait and see if Amazon sells this one...but scared lol.

Mentioned
    207 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Reznor2112 View Post
    Digital version is available for pre-order on iTunes without an Apple Music account.

On a side note, I am having Social Network anxiety. I waited too long and never got it on vinyl...want to wait and see if Amazon sells this one...but scared lol.
    I know the feel, I want the wax but I'd rather get it through a service that doesn't charge me postage and doesn't risk a customs charge

Mentioned
    33 Post(s)
    A Minute To Breathe (Hesitation Marks hidden track)

LOTS of elements from Find My Way on this one. Not a bad thing though.

Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    LP preorder is up on nin store. $45. Shipping to Canada is fucking $40 on top of that.

https://store.nin.com/products/befor...nt=27234873793

Edit: and that's in USD!
    Last edited by blassster; 10-07-2016 at 04:09 PM.

Mentioned
    253 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by blassster View Post
    LP preorder is up on nin store. $45. Shipping to Canada is fucking $40 on top of that.

https://store.nin.com/products/befor...nt=27234873793
    Nope nope nope. Waiting for CD...

Mentioned
    30 Post(s)
    Lyrics simple..... song and melody/singing are good.... although kind of boring after 2:20 (when the full progression finishes it's first loop) ..but so awesome when the na na nas change up comes in until end.... wish the song had more variation/change ups.....I think the introduction of guitar or drums after 2:20 would have really added to it. but I didn't write it so...

I think song length could have been cut in half..while still retaining awesome change up at end.

overall good song... could have been edited down big time though...and more variations/instruments introduced as song progressed.... na na na na finisher to end is awesome.
    Last edited by cashpiles (closed); 10-07-2016 at 04:27 PM.

Mentioned
    31 Post(s)
    wish TR would DROP the high pitch singing voice by now...
    Last edited by billpulsipher; 10-07-2016 at 04:39 PM.

Mentioned
    62 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by cashpiles View Post
    Lyrics simple.....
    So are 99% of the lyrics he's written for other songs.

Mentioned
    27 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by billpulsipher View Post
    I'm indifferent to it. There are moments I'm okay with it as I would much prefer that to how much deeper his voice sounds on Year Zero.

Mentioned
    79 Post(s)
    I like the music though the lyrics aren't that great as I think it's too simple for my taste. I'll get it out of loyalty but I just find it lacking in something. If this is the idea of Trent solo.... I don't know.

Mentioned
    280 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by billpulsipher View Post
    I kind of like it to be honest.

Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Classy, compelling song. Simple and effective and beautiful.

Mentioned
    24 Post(s)
    Hope nin.com eventually provides digital and CD versions. Digital at the very least.

This track is pretty nice, and I think it's a good change of pace from the previous soundtracks. Doesn't feel quite as sinister instrumentally.

Mentioned
    24 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by ninjaw View Post
    wait ... what the heck is that new youtube channel ? https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCGN...SF7XLiQnMxuIvQ
    Sometimes it feels like new NIN-related YouTube channels are made to be attached to random releases and then immediately abandoned. Did he lose the password to Nullco or something?

Mentioned
    54 Post(s)
    "IIIIII.....don't wanna sayyyy good baaaaaa-na-na-na-na-na...."

Fuck. I can't unhear it. 🍌

Mentioned
    12 Post(s)
    https://itunes.apple.com/us/album/be...948?app=itunes

iTunes preorder link. 96min 32sec.

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    The new track is alright. Can't imagine this is gonna be a popular opinion but I'm not keen on the vocals. Especially the na-na's

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by thevoid99 View Post
    If this is the idea of Trent solo.... I don't know.
    But...isn't Trent always kind of solo?

Mentioned
    79 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Arcspiral View Post
    But...isn't Trent always kind of solo?
    But that was in the NIN moniker and there's expectations when it comes to NIN..... Trent as just.... Trent.... uh.... I don't know....

Mentioned
    251 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Reznor2112 View Post

I truly have no belief we'll ever see a TR&AR score on vinyl become such a collector's item again and here's why:

That was Trent's first full-fledged film score. Immediately it gains an added importance.

It was for one of the most lauded films of the year that many felt was robbed of Best Picture and is still talked about fondly as an emblematic film of the culture at the time. The other stuff they've done since has been popular and well-loved but not at that level and not as universally accessible.

That score was a perfect listening length and lent itself far more to being heard independent of the respective films; there's a good hour or so of the Dragon Tattoo score that absolutely feels like "film score music" and isn't half as strong in isolation.

The vinyl market was on the rise in 09 but still nowhere near what it is now and these days we're seeing that comic book collector thing happen -- people assuming everything is going to be valuable, so they buy extras of everything, and now they're not because everyone did that. Anyone who bought multiples of the Gone Girl score with that in mind pretty much wasted an extra 20-30 bucks on it.

The Social Network score won the Oscar. It was his first, it was a big deal, it was an Oscar for his first(!!!) film score and that's an historic aspect of it that other stuff doesn't have and won't have. Even if he wins another someday, it'll not be seen as big a deal.

In general aside from things only being released in their super-deluxe-shit-you-don't-need-edition form like Dragon Tattoo, I don't think any of these scores are going to ever be going for hundreds of dollars on vinyl again.

Also as far as the new song goes: I think it's great to hear Trent letting himself sing in a different style, I think this not being dubbed a NIN track afforded him a lot of mental freedom from those expectations and constraints. It's very far away from anything we've come to expect come from his mouth, and I like that. I've been waiting to be caught off guard or surprised by the sound of something he's done for years now, and this did it. I would be totally down for a TR-AR album with vocals if this is the kind of stuff we'd be getting out of it.
    Last edited by implanted_microchip; 10-07-2016 at 11:12 PM.

Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    I preordered the vinyl on nin.com. $55 shipped. Kinda steep. If I see it pop up on amazon I'll just preorder it there and cancel it on nin.com if i can.

Mentioned
    69 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Final Destiny View Post
    Sometimes it feels like new NIN-related YouTube channels are made to be attached to random releases and then immediately abandoned. Did he lose the password to Nullco or something?
    Full HD version of the video finally poped up on it

Mentioned
    9 Post(s)
    This song is awesome. I hope it's not the only one on the album with vocals.

Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    How the fuck does he justify charging $70 on top of the $44 for the record itself ($115 shipped!) to ship to the UK?!! Would anyone here be prepared to order 2 copies and ship to me in the UK for a reasonable price (assuming that you're not being absolutely fucked on shipping charges in the US) and I'll obviously pay you back and a bit extra for the hassle?

Sent from my SM-G935F using Tapatalk

Mentioned
    115 Post(s)
    ^^why don't you order it in the uk?

Quote Originally Posted by witte View Post
    ordered the vinyl (uk store), thanks for the link.
    downloaded the song.
    great song, surprising singer arrangement.
    but...a lot of the same.
    but overall great!
    listened it now for the fourth time.
    really digging it.
    the arrangement, the sounds/mixing on the background and in the song, the little details. trent is the only one who has an eye for it. high quality!