Page 1 of 23 1 2 3 11 ... LastLast

Thread: Before the Flood (2016)

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)

Before the Flood (2016)

http://pitchfork.com/news/68150-tren...ore-the-flood/

Trent Reznor, Mogwai, Leonardo Di Caprio & Climate Change related stuff in one movie? Awesome! 😃

Mentioned
    9 Post(s)
    The most interesting thing about this is the collaboration with Mogwai. This type of thing was never a TR strong suit in the past (i.e. Tapeworm).

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    I finally downloaded Juno today and was just listening to the Gone Girl soundtrack when the Twitter alert came in. Setting the right mood is everything! ☺

I'm also very curious regarding the collaboration, of course. I always wanted to check out Mogwai and I am glad TR&AR are trying out new things.

The movie premiered today and the soundtrack will be released in October? What a nice surprise!

Mentioned
    251 Post(s)
    I am really looking forward to the sound of him collaborating outside of the usual suspects he's brushed shoulders with for so long. I've always felt Trent's at his best when he's being pushed into new spaces creatively, and hopefully just having completely different people working with him here will have a really positive impact. I definitely know I'm a lot more excited than I would be if it was another straight TR&AR score (as much as I enjoy them, I just want to hear something a bit more surprising again).

Also as someone who harps on climate change a lot it makes me really happy seeing him working on a project like this. Year Zero was my major "in" for NIN so I've got a real soft-spot for activist Trent.

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Here is a little bit more information about the movie: http://www.ew.com/article/2016/09/08...io-clip-poster

Apparently it is a TV production that will have a limited run in cinemas.

Edit: Actually you can hear a glimpse of the score in the clip they have on that site! It sounds vaguely familiar... Like Trent and Atticus signature sound. ��
    Last edited by SchwarzerAbt; 09-09-2016 at 04:38 PM. Reason: Watched the video

Mentioned
    24 Post(s)
    Oooooh, this is interesting. I like when big projects get sprung on us with no warning.

I'm interested in watching the documentary, too. Looks good.

Mentioned
    180 Post(s)
    Soooooo hype for this!

Mentioned
    49 Post(s)
    There's a whole lot of climate change denying going on on the NIN Facebook page comments!

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by WorzelG View Post
    There's a whole lot of climate change denying going on on the NIN Facebook page comments!
    That's just so tiring about the internet. Come on people, there is so much proof! But one cold winter in one country and everybody there will claim how it all is just a big lie... 😞

On another note, I'm curious if the soundtrack will get its own artwork again. I think the concept of the movie poster is a good idea, but it looks just so fake and full of photo shop. I hope that the album cover will be a bit more subtle.

Mentioned
    528 Post(s)
    i can not even describe how excited i am for this. mogwai has been one of my favorite bands for about 15 years and their work with clint mansell & kronos quartet on the fountain is absolutely incredible. oh, man...

Mentioned
    250 Post(s)
    Yeah, this gon' be dope

Mentioned
    32 Post(s)
    Gustavo Santaolalla is also involved in this. He composed the scores for such films as Amores Perros, 21 Grams, Brokeback Mountain and more recently Netflix's Making a Murderer.

This is probably his best known piece, used in Michael Mann's The Insider and the first episode of HBO's Deadwood.

Mentioned
    180 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by onthewall2983 View Post
    Gustavo Santaolalla is also involved in this. He composed the scores for such films as Amores Perros, 21 Grams, Brokeback Mountain and more recently Netflix's Making a Murderer.

This is probably his best known piece, used in Michael Mann's The Insider and the first episode of HBO's Deadwood.
    Santaolalla is an absolute genius, yes. Love love LOVE his work in Amores Perros, 21 Grams and Deadwood. Those are two of my favorite modern day movies and one of my favorite television shows of all time, no question.

I guess the big question now is...are we still going to see (hear) new NIN before year's end like Trent assured we would? If this comes out in October, that only leaves November and December for an NIN announcement.

Granted, this is also the same dude who announced the full-scale return of NIN on the eve of Welcome Oblivion, so I'm still hopeful..

Mentioned
    79 Post(s)
    I can't believe no one here has made any of mention of Santaolalla's most famous score.

Mentioned
    62 Post(s)
    I'm pretty excited about this. I'm a big fan of Mogwai, and they've always been fairly high on the list of people I've wanted Trent to work with. I'm not as familiar with Santaolalla's work, but I will work to rectify this in the next couple months.

Mentioned
    180 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by BRoswell View Post
    I'm pretty excited about this. I'm a big fan of Mogwai, and they've always been fairly high on the list of people I've wanted Trent to work with. I'm not as familiar with Santaolalla's work, but I will work to rectify this in the next couple months.
    If nothing else, watch Amores Perros and 21 Grams if you haven't already. You'll never be the same again after seeing them..

Joined (old ETS): 01 Sep 2004 -- Sydney, Australia
    Mentioned
    282 Post(s)
    Looking forward to this too, but want new NIN.

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Here is a first review of the movie. Not too favourable, but not all bad. No mention of the score though.

http://povmagazine.com/articles/view...fore-the-flood

Mentioned
    250 Post(s)
    I saw it this morning. Very compelling if you don't mind a bit of self-indulgence from DiCaprio, and of course the music is amazing. Mogwai did the guitar riff-based stuff I guess? Droney creepy pulsing from TR+AR, as you'd expect.

But then TR sings a song over the end credits. Brand new composition, mostly very intimate sounding solo voice (with a few delay effects) and treated piano. Sombre-sounding but with some hopefulness, lots of his usual lyrical phrases yet somehow feels more intimate in delivery than you'd expect from him as NIN. No mention of its title in the credits, but the phrase "I just need a minute to breathe" is repeated, mantra-like, at the end.
    Last edited by botley; 09-16-2016 at 05:06 PM.

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by botley View Post
    I saw it this morning. Very compelling if you don't mind a bit of self-indulgence from DiCaprio, and of course the music is amazing. Mogwai did the guitar riff-based stuff I guess? Droney creepy pulsing from TR+AR, as you'd expect.

But then TR sings a song over the end credits. Brand new composition, mostly very intimate sounding solo voice (with a few delay effects) and treated piano. Sombre-sounding but with some hopefulness, lots of his usual lyrical phrases yet somehow feels more intimate in delivery than you'd expect from him as NIN. No mention of its title in the credits, but the phrase "I need a second to breathe" is repeated mantra-like at the end.
    Did it specifically say nine inch nails anywhere? I'm curious if this is specific to this documentary or related to an upcoming album.

Mentioned
    49 Post(s)
    Trying not to get my hopes up that we may get a Trent and a piano tour at some pointime soon!

Mentioned
    250 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by buckaroo View Post
    Did it specifically say nine inch nails anywhere? I'm curious if this is specific to this documentary or related to an upcoming album.
    No, no NIN mention and it sounded nothing like NIN; probably the first ever original vocal composition released under TR's own name.

Mentioned
    64 Post(s)
    mantra-like
    And, suddenly, "Mantra" comes to mind, which was a song for a... wait for it... documentary film... which featured... wait again... Trent on piano.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Brand new composition, mostly very intimate sounding solo voice
    I could see Trent dropping the NIN, which is practically simply a stage name, and releasing music just as TR. NIN has too many standards attached to it, and Trent could be tired of trying to please fans.

Mentioned
    250 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by wizfan View Post
    And, suddenly, "Mantra" comes to mind, which was a song for a... wait for it... documentary film... which featured... wait again... Trent on piano.
    Oh, snap! And that's also a vocal composition, credited to his given name; guess I forgot about it. Haha! This one is nowhere near as rockin' (more like a ballad-y version of 'We Fade Away' by HTDA) but I liked it. Come at me billpulsipher
    Last edited by botley; 09-16-2016 at 09:13 PM.

Mentioned
    49 Post(s)
    Are these new "songs" going to get any kind of a release?

Mentioned
    49 Post(s)
    nice ill probably just wait till to check them out as I have no interest in really watching this film

Joined (old ETS): 01 Sep 2004 -- Sydney, Australia
    Mentioned
    282 Post(s)

But then TR sings a song over the end credits. Brand new composition, mostly very intimate sounding solo voice (with a few delay effects) and treated piano. Sombre-sounding but with some hopefulness, lots of his usual lyrical phrases yet somehow feels more intimate in delivery than you'd expect from him as NIN. No mention of its title in the credits, but the phrase "I just need a minute to breathe" is repeated, mantra-like, at the end.
    I just need a minute to breathe. Nice line.

Mentioned
    90 Post(s)
    I just want to hear it. It's torture knowing it's out there but there's no way for me to hear it currently.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Mentioned
    30 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by sweeterthan View Post
    I just want to hear it. It's torture knowing it's out there but there's no way for me to hear it currently.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    There is a way.. and it's pretty damn good. PM me.