Page 6 of 23 FirstFirst ... 4 5 6 7 8 16 ... LastLast

Thread: Before the Flood (2016)

Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Al_Hunter View Post
    How the fuck does he justify charging $70 on top of the $44 for the record itself ($115 shipped!) to ship to the UK?!! Would anyone here be prepared to order 2 copies and ship to me in the UK for a reasonable price (assuming that you're not being absolutely fucked on shipping charges in the US) and I'll obviously pay you back and a bit extra for the hassle?

Sent from my SM-G935F using Tapatalk
    Its £45 shipped if you use the UK store link. Like others have mentioned, it's likely to be available on Amazon in due course. I'll pulled the trigger but wonder if I should have waited now..

Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by nufan View Post
    Its £45 shipped if you use the UK store link. Like others have mentioned, it's likely to be available on Amazon in due course. I'll pulled the trigger but wonder if I should have waited now..
    Thanks. I'd only seen the NIN post which linked to the US store and hadn't even remembered there was a UK store! Early morning fail.

Mentioned
    120 Post(s)
    Atticus: Trent, so how high can your voice exactly go these days? Let's find out..."

and they can say whatever they want, but that's a NIN song to me.

Mentioned
    69 Post(s)
    Sorry to flood but quick remember, the best full hd quality of the video is only on this brand new youtube channel :

Mentioned
    115 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Al_Hunter View Post
    Thanks. I'd only seen the NIN post which linked to the US store and hadn't even remembered there was a UK store! Early morning fail.

if you're still searching......

Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by witte View Post
    Ha thanks but no - placed my order now. I can justify £45 for vinyl far easier than £90 for vinyl! 😊

Mentioned
    207 Post(s)
    Possibly heresy, but I kinda like there being Trent vocals with visuals that aren't in Rob's style at all for a change (even CBH had his elements), it's refreshing

Mentioned
    10 Post(s)
    I feel there is also something from "Right where it belongs"... And I find myself subconsiously changing the lyrics to "I need, a reason to breathe" or "a minute to sleep" etc, what's wrong with me? :-)

Also, true story - I was shopping now and one small children was singing that random baby babbling to itself, and I swear it once hit part from the "naah naah naah" perfectly! :-D

Btw, if my youtube-dl is correct, the iTunes version has better audio (MP4a aprox. 256 kbps, 48 kHz) than YouTube (MP4a 128 kbps 44.1 kHz, but video is 1980x1080 there).
    Last edited by Substance242; 10-08-2016 at 07:07 AM.

Mentioned
    101 Post(s)
    Love the song. Love the video. It's soothing yet powerful. The combination of all elements (song, lyrics & imagery) is just incredible.

Mentioned
    91 Post(s)
    I also got a right where it belongs vibe from the song. I guess it's the tempo and his falsetto vocals. It also makes me think of the ending of In Two.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Mentioned
    115 Post(s)
    around 3:30 the 'reptile' intro makes his appearance
    people, it's trent. sounds he made stay familiar

Mentioned
    18 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by witte View Post
    around 3:30 the 'reptile' intro makes his appearance
    people, it's trent. sounds he made stay familiar
    Interesting!
    Someone on reddit is speculating that this song might also be about Bowie. And Reptile is actually one of the songs that they played live together

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Shnoorum View Post
    The new track is alright. Can't imagine this is gonna be a popular opinion but I'm not keen on the vocals. Especially the na-na's
    I'm not feeling it at all. I listened 5 or 6 times in a row hoping it would grow on me. Oh well.

Mentioned
    31 Post(s)
    sounds like a HM b sides..ol trent is still repeating himself these days..either with the mumbling vocals or high pitch falsetto...can the man scream anymore? sing with some power and authority behind it? all these mumbling and high pitched shit is making me long for WT for god sake..even then he let it rip vocally

Mentioned
    63 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by billpulsipher View Post
    can the man scream anymore?
    The fuck were you expecting with this track? Broken Part 2?

Mentioned
    17 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by matt925 View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Shnoorum View Post
    The new track is alright. Can't imagine this is gonna be a popular opinion but I'm not keen on the vocals. Especially the na-na's
    I'm not feeling it at all. I listened 5 or 6 times in a row hoping it would grow on me. Oh well.
    Listened to it quite a lot know. The na-na's are my absolute favorite part of the song. I get goosebumps from the sudden transition from "goodbye" to the first na-na's. That's pure emotion.

Other than that I also love the surprise sax, the Reptile appregio and the kind of random bass line right at the end.

Mentioned
    115 Post(s)
    sounds like a HM b sides....
    absolutely not, in fact... that's what's positive about this and gives hope. it reminds me a lot of WT, TF.
    ...and that sample from TDS

Mentioned
    31 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by BRoswell View Post
    The fuck were you expecting with this track? Broken Part 2?
    a vocal take that isnt mumbling or high pitched falsetto....not too much to ask

Mentioned
    63 Post(s)
    a vocal take that isnt mumbling or high pitched falsetto....not too much to ask
    If you think he's actually mumbling in this track, you need your hearing checked. Then again, you seem to think he should be screaming in this track, so what do you know?

Mentioned
    10 Post(s)
    Wondering if this documentary will be in some cinema nearby...? I'd go.

Anyway, I seem to like it more and more. For example, the first time I was a bit surprised by the "naahs", but now they fit perfectly. :-) Also, it is somewhat hard to switch playing in my head from the first motif to final two minutes, isn't there some change in scale? And I think maybe it is dedicated to children, "look you in the eyes" embarassed by the damage we're leaving behind...

Mentioned
    31 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by BRoswell View Post
    If you think he's actually mumbling in this track, you need your hearing checked. Then again, you seem to think he should be screaming in this track, so what do you know?
    I said he should scream more in general. Not for this song....If you arent objective enough (which you're not) to realize TR has been using the same vocal style for the last 9 years (mumbling or high pitch falsetto) there is no way of reasoning with you..Its common knowledge he's become a one trick pony..for god sake they even made a viral video about it (this is a trent reznor song) He has changed his vocal style starting with YZ...its either mumbling or high pitch falsetto..thats not opinion. its fact

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    TR should just not use his voice and make more sweet ass instrumental trax

Mentioned
    63 Post(s)
    I said he should scream more in general. Not for this song....If you arent objective enough (which you're not) to realize TR has been using the same vocal style for the last 9 years (mumbling or high pitch falsetto) there is no way of reasoning with you..Its common knowledge he's become a one trick pony..for god sake they even made a viral video about it (this is a trent reznor song) He has changed his vocal style starting with YZ...its either mumbling or high pitch falsetto..thats not opinion. its fact
    It's a fact that you don't know what you're talking about. Let's review the dictionary definition of "mumble", shall we?

mumble

verb (used without object), mumbled, mumbling.
    to speak in a low indistinct manner, almost to an unintelligible extent; mutter.
    See that 'u' word in there? "Unintelligible"? Yeah, that doesn't describe Trent's vocal style in the track AT ALL (or most of the tracks he's made since Year Zero). I could hear him and understand him just fine, as could most of the people who have posted in this thread it seems. So, with that said, tell us, O Master Of Objectivity, where is all this mumbling you're mumbling about?

Singing softly isn't mumbling. You want to hear mumbling? Go listen to a Thom Yorke song and THEN tell me that Trent is mumbling his lyrics.

And if he's such a "one trick pony" now, why in the fuck are you still listening to new music from him?
    Last edited by BRoswell; 10-08-2016 at 03:33 PM.

Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Billpulsipher:

I've never really interacted with you here yet but all I got from your last few posts are: Trent is repeating himself with vocal styles; but Trent should not be screaming here; vocals since Year Zero have been bland and same-sounding.

It just seems you don't know what you want or just won't be happy with anything besides angry industrial rock music. I actually think his singing and screaming before The Fragile was same-sounding. On TF, WT, YZ, and HM, he makes many new, interesting, almost theatrical vocal decisions. I can provide specific examples if you'd like, and then it will just be a matter of different definitions.

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by niggo View Post
    Listened to it quite a lot know. The na-na's are my absolute favorite part of the song. I get goosebumps from the sudden transition from "goodbye" to the first na-na's. That's pure emotion.

Other than that I also love the surprise sax, the Reptile appregio and the kind of random bass line right at the end.
    Gonna give it another few listens but not sure if it's gonna really grow on me. Definitely not a bad track by any means but don't think it's my cup of tea

Mentioned
    31 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by joplinpicasso View Post
    Billpulsipher:

I've never really interacted with you here yet but all I got from your last few posts are: Trent is repeating himself with vocal styles; but Trent should not be screaming here; vocals since Year Zero have been bland and same-sounding.

It just seems you don't know what you want or just won't be happy with anything besides angry industrial rock music. I actually think his singing and screaming before The Fragile was same-sounding. On TF, WT, YZ, and HM, he makes many new, interesting, almost theatrical vocal decisions. I can provide specific examples if you'd like, and then it will just be a matter of different definitions.

I'd be just as happy with an album full of ballads and Still sounding songs....The Rez' vocal style post 2007 generally consists of mumbling or singing in a high pitch voice..thats just the way it is..people can argue my opinion all they want, but I'm not the first person to bring this up.

Mentioned
    63 Post(s)
    people can argue my opinion all they want...
    Your opinion? What happened to it being an objective, irrefutable FACT?

Mentioned
    100 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Microwave Jellyfish View Post
    Reptile intro keyboards starting at 3:20?
    Very similar.

The sequence in "A Minute To Breathe" sounds about 10-20 percent slower.

Mentioned
    46 Post(s)
    The song reminds me of RWIB, too. It's kind of the same concept, isn't it? Melodramatic piano playing while mourning stuff that's going on in the/his world accompanied by softly sung lyrics.

I can't help being put off by singing capabilities vs. self seriousness levels in the lyrics that are on display here (again). It's all a bit too on the nose for me, too. Sad piano, sad voice, sad na-na-na want me to feel sad. LITS was miles above this song, I feel.

I'm also not sure, how to judge the fact he's once again trying to sing a song like this himself. Didn't they find a better singer? Is it a bold move that he keeps pushing himself? Or does it stem from a need for recognition as the frontman?

Mentioned
    49 Post(s)
    ^^^what's wrong with wanting to have need of recognition as a frontman in a frontman???

Also doesn't htda suggest he's OK not being a frontman all the time.

Anyway I find false humility really annoying.

About the vocals, I think the shakiness and imperfection is the point and reflects the shaky ground humanity stands on with regards to climate change, or something! I think this song can safely be ruled out when it comes to live performances though
    Last edited by WorzelG; 10-09-2016 at 10:31 AM.