Thread: Before the Flood (2016)

Joined (old ETS): 01 Sep 2004 -- Sydney, Australia
    Mentioned
    282 Post(s)
    Colour me intrigued.

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by botley View Post
    I saw it this morning. Very compelling if you don't mind a bit of self-indulgence from DiCaprio, and of course the music is amazing. Mogwai did the guitar riff-based stuff I guess? Droney creepy pulsing from TR+AR, as you'd expect.

But then TR sings a song over the end credits. Brand new composition, mostly very intimate sounding solo voice (with a few delay effects) and treated piano. Sombre-sounding but with some hopefulness, lots of his usual lyrical phrases yet somehow feels more intimate in delivery than you'd expect from him as NIN. No mention of its title in the credits, but the phrase "I just need a minute to breathe" is repeated, mantra-like, at the end.
    Should a thread be opened in the Nine Inch Nails discussion? It seems so weird that someone announces they heard a new NIN/Trent Reznor song and nobody is talking about it.

Mentioned
    90 Post(s)
    From what I understand, it's not a nine inch nails song. He sings on it as Trent Reznor. No one is talking about it because no one's heard it except Botley.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by sweeterthan View Post
    From what I understand, it's not a nine inch nails song. He sings on it as Trent Reznor. No one is talking about it because no one's heard it except Botley.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Nobody has heard the new nin supposedly coming out this year or "dive and slam", but people sure talked about that a lot. I just find it odd that when we have confirmation of something new it's crickets, but there are conversations about single ambiguous tweets that go on for pages. Just saying.

Mentioned
    250 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by sweeterthan View Post
    Well, I'm not the ONLY one, as there were a handful of public screenings at TIFF — but I doubt there were lots of other NIN fans checking it out because little (if any) festival publicity promoted that TR&AR had scored it.

I'll just reiterate that I didn't notice any title or artist listed for the song specifically, just Reznor and Ross' names in the credits.
    Last edited by botley; 09-20-2016 at 02:33 PM.

Mentioned
    49 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by buckaroo View Post
    Nobody has heard the new nin supposedly coming out this year or "dive and slam", but people sure talked about that a lot. I just find it odd that when we have confirmation of something new it's crickets, but there are conversations about single ambiguous tweets that go on for pages. Just saying.
    To be honest, I don't want to talk about it as I don't want to jinx anything. I'm just patiently waiting to hear it

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by WorzelG View Post
    To be honest, I don't want to talk about it as I don't want to jinx anything. I'm just patiently waiting to hear it
    In the NIN discussion there'd just be people complaining how they'd prefer new NIN. But only groundbreaking stuff that should be really angry. I like it in here. It's quiet, but there isn't as much negativity involved. ☺

Mentioned
    28 Post(s)
    hope the film is showing in my area!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    I'd be willing to bet this is a new NIN track. Even though it's been said the delivery is more intimate than what one might expect from NIN, with both the fact that Trent has said there will be new NIN in 2016 and the fact that he lets NIN evolve and pushes it forward, I think there is a very good chance this could even be a track from the next album that felt appropriate for the tone of the film.

Mentioned
    250 Post(s)
    I'll bet you twenty bucks it's not.

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Shouldn't they start taking pre orders on amazon now if the album will come out in October? I'd appreciate some more details. 😃

Mentioned
    10 Post(s)
    Well, I'm not the ONLY one, as there were a handful of public screenings at TIFF — but I doubt there were lots of other NIN fans checking it out because little (if any) festival publicity promoted that TR&AR had scored it.

I'll just reiterate that I didn't notice any title or artist listed for the song specifically, just Reznor and Ross' names in the credits.

I can vouch that people who live in Toronto, and surrounding areas, only listen to Drake, Bieber and The Weeknd. No locals at TIFF cared about Reznor.

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Is this movie currently being screened or is the next time it will be shown is October 21st?

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Damn, discovering Santaolallo wrote *that* title theme is really scrumptious icing on a fucking good cake, comrades. The sound he gets out of those strings is skeletal and kinda skin-tingling. Fuck yeah. Mogwai are a perennial favorite, favorite band. Pal opened for them once and one Mogwai stayed out with us after the pubs and we went to Club Neo. No one was there, except for this old-school looking rivethead who guarded the dancefloor like an alpha goat. Another old pal, whose formative Goth of the Dead Can Dance/Cure variety, was delicately making way towards a girl that I could tell he thought was pretty, and Alpha Goat backed him down pretty good. He danced away like in a fluttery motion. Mogwai stayed at the bar chatting with the music pal. Great fucking show and night. Looking forward to this LP intently.

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    New trailer:

https://youtu.be/D9xFFyUOpXo

Mentioned
    49 Post(s)
    On a long train journey to London listening to the Gone Girl score, now I've got excited about this Before the Flood score, hope we get some details soon

Mentioned
    10 Post(s)
    With NIN/TR/HTDA and all of the references to the ocean, la mer, sinking, swimming, ice ages... I'd almost believe 'Before the flood' would be the new NIN album name.

Mentioned
    28 Post(s)

Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Harry Seaward View Post
    Lyrics = care about it significantly more now. Was going to pick it up of course, but before I wasn't greatly excited (mostly because I don't care about the movie, and I just fucking want new NIN and TFE). Just hope it's not only this one track with vocals.

Also, funny how he presented it with NOT NEW NIN at the beginning of the description.
    Last edited by blassster; 10-07-2016 at 08:48 AM.

Mentioned
    250 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Sequenteon View Post
    I'd be willing to bet this is a new NIN track.
    Cough it up!

Mentioned
    49 Post(s)
    I really like this and despite the subject matter and sombreness it has really lifted my spirits

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    The full soundtrack will be out soon and is a collaboration between us, Gustavo Santaolalla and Mogwai. - TR

SOON!!! HE SAID "SOON"!!! Artists should never be allowed to say the word "soon" ever.

Mentioned
    180 Post(s)
    Can't wait to hear this shizz. I've grown to love his film score stuff just as much on a personal level as I have NIN/HTDA

Even if it's just a snippet at this point, Moment to Breathe sounds like it would fit beautifully on just about any NIN album he's done..

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    I'll bet you twenty bucks it's not.

Guess I owe you 20.

Mentioned
    250 Post(s)
    Buy me a soundtrack CD? (-:

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)

Mentioned
    10 Post(s)
    This is beautiful! And only after posting on Facebook I noticed how long the excerpt is... 59 seconds. :-) (as in "a 59 seconds to breathe" you see)
    Last edited by Substance242; 10-06-2016 at 04:34 PM.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)

Mentioned
    17 Post(s)
    That is awesome.

Mentioned
    96 Post(s)
    Well, that sounds pretty indistinguishable from Dragon Tattoo / Gone Girl (sans vocals)