Page 16 of 23 FirstFirst ... 6 14 15 16 17 18 ... LastLast

Thread: Before the Flood (2016)

Joined (old ETS): 01 Sep 2004 -- Sydney, Australia
    Mentioned
    282 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Papagolash View Post
    The only time I hear it is during the "nah nah naahh nah nahh" and background "ooohhhh" parts, otherwise it doesn't sound like him to me at all. It only occured to me last night that it could be him when I didn't see another person credited on the song.

And yes the HTDA song is "Is Your Love Strong Enough?", that's totally Phil Collins singing.

The song that closes the film, "A Minute to Breathe," is very much channeling that same kind of emotion. It’s jarringly beautiful and vulnerable at the same time.

That was written specifically for the film. About a third of the way through the compositional process for scoring the film, it started as kind of a private challenge to see if I could write a song with lyrics that would fit this in the right kind of way, that is not overly direct, or ridiculously on point—that could tie in in a way that feels authentic, that could live on its own as a piece of music but fits well in the context of this film. I’ve written some music for films in the past, pop songs that fit in the general theme of what the music is about, back in the '90s when there were compilation soundtrack records. But this felt a lot more naked. Atticus and I spent a few weeks on it. We hadn’t collaborated on vocal music since the last Nine Inch Nails record. It was uncomfortable. I was singing in a register I had never sung in before. There was nowhere really to hide.

I didn’t mention to Fisher that I was doing it because I figured if it ends up sucking no one needs to know we even tried. But we ended up feeling pretty good about it and told him, hey, we’ve written a song and at your discretion, if you think it’ll fit somewhere, we’d be proud to have it involved, and it worked out the way it did.

Mentioned
    69 Post(s)
    No one hysterically laffed seeing the stoned pope trying to care about something else that counting miracles after death... who the fuck cares about the biggest fucking guru on earth !? That must be an american movie.

Mentioned
    69 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by kargath View Post
    Excellent. Thanks for the tip.
    I just noticed there's a 1080p DD5.1 web-dl floating around, but it's only about 2.2gb.
    Is the dailymotion stream in surround?
    Sorry havent found time to check yet didnt even tought this was possible

Mentioned
    115 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Papagolash View Post
    The only time I hear it is during the "nah nah naahh nah nahh" and background "ooohhhh" parts, otherwise it doesn't sound like him to me at all. It only occured to me last night that it could be him when I didn't see another person credited on the song.

And yes the HTDA song is "Is Your Love Strong Enough?", that's totally Phil Collins singing.
    cynical or stupid. time to close this topic? pissed....
    Last edited by witte; 11-03-2016 at 12:57 PM.

Mentioned
    69 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by ninjaw View Post
    Sorry havent found time to check yet didnt even tought this was possible
    Dailymotion is stereo, plz note they always claimed they will erase it in 7 days

Mentioned
    33 Post(s)
    Enjoyed the doc quite a bit. Favorite part was the lead in with Bosch's painting with Leo's VO...and that crossfade into the dark stormy sky as the Nat Geo title came up combined with the music...GOOSEBUMPS.

Currently I am working on a Change.org page to get "A Minute To Breathe" to be the last goddamn song on the vinyl release! Bugs the ever loving shit out me being track #2.

Mentioned
    528 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Reznor2112 View Post
    Enjoyed the doc quite a bit. Favorite part was the lead in with Bosch's painting with Leo's VO...and that crossfade into the dark stormy sky as the Nat Geo title came up combined with the music...GOOSEBUMPS.

Currently I am working on a Change.org page to get "A Minute To Breathe" to be the last goddamn song on the vinyl release! Bugs the ever loving shit out me being track #2.
    i hate to break it to you but if the vinyl is being released in january, the test pressings have already been done, and they're not going to be changing anything...unless you were trying to be funny?

Mentioned
    50 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Reznor2112 View Post

Currently I am working on a Change.org page...
    Your love isn't strong enough, is it?

Mentioned
    282 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by eversonpoe View Post
    i hate to break it to you but if the vinyl is being released in january, the test pressings have already been done, and they're not going to be changing anything...unless you were trying to be funny?
    I kinda think it'd be more impactful as a closing track as well, like Is Your Love Strong Enough.

It does close the film, after all. Why not the OST?

Mentioned
    8 Post(s)
    Here is the 5.1 mix of "A Minute to Breathe" from the 1080 WebRip (extracted with MKV toolnix), I kept the last two words of Leo (out of luck as I just cut the video a few seconds before the beginning of the end credits as a safety, so we're sure the version is complete).

https://mega.nz/#!5YFHTACZ!0pFeUVeeo...WLz9UyCAZVb8d8

Please re-upload it some place else instead of copy-paste this link if you want to share this outside the forum.
    Last edited by totom; 11-04-2016 at 07:25 AM. Reason: precision

Mentioned
    115 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by eversonpoe View Post
    .... the test pressings have already been done, and they're not going to be changing anything...
    did you see one?

Mentioned
    528 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by witte View Post
    did you see one?
    no, but i've gotten several records pressed in the last few years and i know how the process works and how much time things take.

Mentioned
    101 Post(s)
    Just finished the movie. I thought the music complemented a nice fashion, the movie but clearly didn't have the same impact it would have normally had on a work of fiction. Music helps boost and elevate emotions convey by a particular scene. Here, it served more as a background music. Still, it was enjoyable.

Mentioned
    253 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by totom View Post
    Here is the 5.1 mix of "A Minute to Breathe" from the 1080 WebRip (extracted with MKV toolnix), I kept the last two words of Leo (out of luck as I just cut the video a few seconds before the beginning of the end credits as a safety, so we're sure the version is complete).

https://mega.nz/#!5YFHTACZ!0pFeUVeeo...WLz9UyCAZVb8d8

Please re-upload it some place else instead of copy-paste this link if you want to share this outside the forum.
    Thanks for this... it's nice to hear, especially outside of a film festival screening context where the subtle, quiet credits sequence had to compete with the sounds of seats slapping against headrests and shuffling feet in a big cavernous theatre.

Mentioned
    33 Post(s)
    Now I don't know with the amount of artists involved if this will be elligible for Best Score come Oscar time. However, I do believe "A Minute To Breathe" could be eligible for Best Original Song.

Mentioned
    49 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Bachy View Post
    Now I don't know with the amount of artists involved if this will be elligible for Best Score come Oscar time. However, I do believe "A Minute To Breathe" could be eligible for Best Original Song.
    If Sam fucking Smith can win, it would be a travesty if it wasn't nominated, although I don't know the competition. Just think, we could have President Trump by then, terrifying thought.
    (Actually is this documentary even eligible for Oscars. Has it been released in any cinema?)
    Last edited by WorzelG; 11-07-2016 at 11:16 AM.

Mentioned
    101 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by WorzelG View Post
    If Sam fucking Smith can win, it would be a travesty if it wasn't nominated, although I don't know the competition. Just think, we could have President Trump by then, terrifying thought.
    (Actually is this documentary even eligible for Oscars. Has it been released in any cinema?)
    It is eligible. It is one of the 145 documentaries submitted.

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    I watched the film yesterday. A good summary of the current knowledge on climate change and the music compliments it nicely. Some new sounds, but I have to listen to it isolated to value it propperly.

Although (spoiler) I can't imagine that the UN embassador for climate change has never heard of the gulf stream being interrupted. I hope they put it that way for dramatic purpose. That's embarrassing!

Mentioned
    207 Post(s)
    I caved and preordered the vinyl, I'm just a slut for TRAR music

But NEXT TIME, I'll totally not order it on principle on price. Promise.

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by sheepdean View Post
    Ironic, as that's (almost) what you'll be saying to the best part of £50. Ta-ra...!

Mentioned
    282 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by sheepdean View Post

But NEXT TIME, I'll totally not order it on principle on price. Promise.
    You're just a slut, period. -<3

Mentioned
    18 Post(s)
    Before the Flood is now £3.49 to watch here in the UK. Not free anymore, ouch

Mentioned
    69 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by arsenic View Post
    Before the Flood is now £3.49 to watch here in the UK. Not free anymore, ouch
    Same thing in france, I as watching for the google play us version, it jus turned into a french subbed version for ... 10€ !

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Man, this score (and documentary) just got way more depressing in light of recent events.

Mentioned
    253 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by fakdoo View Post
    Man, this score (and documentary) just got way more depressing in light of recent events.
    Yes, quite significantly. We are still 'before the flood' as it were, but probably not for much longer.

Mentioned
    20 Post(s)
    They're already feeling the effects in some parts of the world. Agricultural lands abandoned due to sudden aridity, droughts, earth movements from melting glaciers. The problem is that it's affecting rural communities in the third world, who're already disadvantaged, and far enough away from us that the media and government are largely unaware or turning a blind eye. Talk to aid workers, though, and you see how bad it's getting already.

Before The Flood pointed out the likelihood of central US states becoming a long-term dustbowl, I think that's going to be unavoidable if Trump follows through on his climate-sceptic policy promises. Sad thing is, that region's where a lot of his support is coming from.

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Can we talk about how god damn amazing "8 Billion" is for a second? I could listen to that for an hour straight and never shake the goosebumps...

Mentioned
    65 Post(s)
    Good film. The climate change is definitely terrifying and it's been haunting my mind ever since I was taught about it in school, but I like that the film explores many possible outcomes. The scene that affected me the most was the one with NASA scientist Piers Sellers. It was truly emotional and it was wise of them to put it in the end. I'm getting teary-eyed just thinking about it.

That said, the almost-hypnotic soundtrack made me wander off and not pay attention to all the important stuff that all those people were saying. The different subject matter and contributions of Santaolalla and Mogwai pushed TRAR out of their comfort zone of dark beats and ambient synths. I wasn't that impressed by the ambience and piano melodies in Juno. The ambience here was much more impressive and layered. I smiled when familiar-sounding instruments kept popping up throughout the film, though sometimes they were a bit too familiar (I'm getting tired of the midtempo rhythmic "dun... dun... dun... dun..." synths). The moment when the very first bass synth note pops out of the ambience as Leo describes the Hieronymus Bosch painting was breathtaking. Like, BOOOOM. Shit is getting real.

"A Minute to Breathe" was very fresh and also a good self-imposed challenge for Trent's vocals. The 5.1 mix that @totom posted is legit, as the surround channels don't have the lead vocals in them, only the backing ones and the piano reverberation. TRAR still mix in surround like it's nobody's business. The webrip's 5.1 mix has some cool stuff going on with the entire film's soundtrack and I can't wait to listen to it again when the movie is released on Blu-ray. I will listen to the album tomorrow and provide some more detailed thoughts on it.

On a side note, I cracked up when that guy was talking about cows and methane and an electronic drum beat started playing. The combination of beats and methane instantly reminded me of a quote from Meathead's review of Ghosts I-IV: "Ghosts I-IV is actually interesting, and you can do more than simply take a shit to it. I mean, if you wanted to take a shit while listening to Ghosts I-IV, I'm sure you could, but I would be careful not to get your feces all over the place while dancing on the toilet seat during Atticus' stuff. That could be unpleasant."

Mentioned
    45 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Arcspiral View Post
    Can we talk about how god damn amazing "8 Billion" is for a second? I could listen to that for an hour straight and never shake the goosebumps...
    I think that's my stand-out so far.

Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by botley View Post
    Yes, quite significantly. We are still 'before the flood' as it were, but probably not for much longer.
    Quoted for significance. Re: the actual music, it's beautiful and achieves its purpose splendidly, and, because of that, I may not revisit it as a standalone record as much as I do TSN, TGWTDT, or GG (and I listen to those soundtracks quite often). Knowing TR's intentions for writing "A Minute to Breathe" adds even more depth. Santaolalla's clean-tone guitar licks are classy editions to TR+AR's piano/electronics shtick.