Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4

Thread: The Dark Tower movie adaptation

Mentioned
    96 Post(s)
    The Dark Tower TV Series Canceled By Amazon
    https://www.comingsoon.net/tv/news/1...ies-adaptation

Mentioned
    233 Post(s)
    saw this bumped and thought to myself, "this can only be bad news, this late in the game..."

dammit. in the world of everyone trying to do cinematic universes this was destined to fail, really. instead of focusing on making a good movie every time they were focused on what would come after. shame, there's a good story there to tell.

at least until they have to cast Stephen King...

Mentioned
    14 Post(s)
    A lot of "mights" and "maybes", but one can only hope!

Mike Flanagan is interested in adapting the Dark Tower series.

Mentioned
    551 Post(s)
    thinking about this just makes me kind of sad. The Dark Tower is probably my favorite Stephen King stuff, maybe just short of IT, and I'm a pretty big fan who's read pretty much everything he's published. You're taking on a big responsibility when you adapt The Dark Tower, which is pretty much the magnum opus from someone who writes like 3 books a year, and one of them is 1200 pages long. So, yeah, he's also known for getting pretty shockingly hardcore and graphic... so...

Hey, let's make a PG-13 movie that's an hour and a half long, and make it sorta like a cross between Crocodile Dundee and The Neverending Story, and let's make the Man in Black like some kind of shitty Final Fantasy villain. I can't think of anything that dumbed down the source material to something that had so much promise.

So it's just sad, because unlike a lot of King's stuff, I could have seen this translate into a really epic series of films. Instead, we got some generic boring bullshit that didn't even include the characters Eddie or Susannah. That's like making Star Wars and cutting out Luke and Leia and Han Solo, and instead just making it into a movie where Darth Vader and Obi Wan are sorta mad at each other, but Darth Vader is a snarky catty asshole who can't stop overacting.

So of course it bombed, and all these studio morons were like "oh no, there's no future for this franchise! Look how badly the movie did!"
    This could have soared as an HBO miniseries, and I still have some hope they'll do it right. I actually hope they do it and bring back Idris Elba, because he was pretty much the only good part of the movie... that and the nifty gun battle towards the end.

I'm glad Stephen King has finally come around to admitting that it sucked.

Mentioned
    100 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Jinsai View Post
    ...This could have soared as an HBO miniseries...
    The Drawing of the Three would have worked especially well as a miniseries. The problem, for me at least, is that half of these only really work as movies, the other half only really work as miniseries.

Mentioned
    732 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Jon View Post
    The Drawing of the Three would have worked especially well as a miniseries. The problem, for me at least, is that half of these only really work as movies, the other half only really work as miniseries.
    We need like a multi season SHOW.

NONE of those books work as films, imho, except the first one...and that'd be an odd fucking film.

Mentioned
    100 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by elevenism View Post
    We need like a multi season SHOW.

NONE of those books work as films, imho, except the first one...and that'd be an odd fucking film.
    It's almost impossible to do without trying to tie "extra" things into it (i.e. GDT's The Hobbit), and as a "standalone" film it wouldn't really make sense without follow up. Ideally, I wouldn't shoot these sequentially, which would mean that perhaps Part 1 and sections of Part 4 standing alone as their own movie. These really only correctly function, in my opinion, if there is a a series and a film always on-going, as long as the series lasts. The last part, The Dark Tower, would be a clusterfuck no matter what. It seems pretty evident that King had no clue what the grand scheme of things would be, and he was throwing shit at the wall for Parts 6 and 7.

Even with all the faults of the movie apadtation for Dreamcatcher, that seems to be a perfect starting point if you're attempting to shoot 6 or 7 as a movie.

Mentioned
    551 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Jon View Post
    Wouldn't that be interesting though... if they made The Gunslinger a movie, then Drawing of the Tree a limited miniseries, then Wasteland a movie, then Wizard and Glass a miniseries, then Wolves of Calla a movie, Song of Sussanah a movie, and then The Dark Tower a miniseries? That would be epic

Mentioned
    233 Post(s)
    isn't that what Ron Howard was trying to do?

Ron Howard and Universal Pictures (2010–2015)
    In April 2010, five months after Abrams revealed he would no longer pursue his adaptation of The Dark Tower, Universal Pictures was set to produce a trilogy of feature films, alternating with two seasons of a television series to bridge gaps between the films. The involved parties included Akiva Goldsman writing the script, Ron Howard directing, and also producing with Brian Grazer and Stephen King.[28] The report was made official by NBC Universal five months later via a press release dated September 8, 2010.[29] In an interview with Entertainment Weekly following the announcement, King stated that "I always thought it would take more than a single movie, but I didn't see this solution coming—i.e., several movies and TV series. It was Ron [Howard] and Akiva [Goldsman]'s idea. Once it was raised, I thought at once it was the solution."[30] A month later, the first Dark Tower film was scheduled to open on May 17, 2013.[31] In December 2010, Howard offered the following in regards to the project's progress: "It is going well, and it has been incredibly stimulating to work on. I really can't stop thinking about it. We've been meeting and talking and I've been reading and researching and just kind of living with it. I hope it goes great. I hope it goes the way we think it will. It never does, really. But sometimes it goes better." Despite Howard's enthusiasm, Universal had not yet greenlit the project at that point.[32][33]

By the end of 2010 and the beginning of 2011, New York Post was reporting that Javier Bardem and Viggo Mortensen were in line to play the lead character of Roland Deschain, and Naomie Harris was being considered for the character of Susannah Dean.[34][35] Speaking on The Howard Stern Show in January 2011 and qualifying his words with the phrase "I don't know if it's going to happen or not", Howard said that after the first film, which would be more action-oriented, a six-episode television miniseries would follow, focusing more on character-driven drama.[36] For his part, Brian Grazer stated around the same time that a casting announcement could be made "within a week."[37]

By April 2011, Mark Verheiden was joining the television portion of the project as executive producer and Akiva Goldsman's co-writer. The same month, Javier Bardem was cast in the role of Roland.[38] However, just a month later, a report in Variety revealed that Universal may seek another studio's help, as the project's budget appeared to be more than they were willing to handle.[39] The Hollywood Reporter wrote later that the project was on the verge of turnaround, and Warner Bros. or Columbia Pictures could potentially take the project on, revealing that Universal had paid $5 million for the rights.[40] Shortly after that, Universal committed to a lower budget for the project and Goldsman began rewriting the script to reflect these changes.[41]

Originally, production was slated to begin in September 2011, but in May 2011 it was being pushed back to February 2012 or early spring. The project was still not greenlit by the studio, which had to happen by July 2011.[42][43] Then on July 18, 2011, Universal decided to cancel development of the entire project due to budgetary concerns.[44] Despite this, Stephen King was confident Howard would see the project through, stating that he was "sorry Universal passed, but not really surprised. I bear them no ill will, and trust Ron Howard to get Roland and his friends before the camera somewhere else. He's very committed to the project."[45] In August 2011, Howard stated that they were "trying to get outside financing to make it, and distribute it through a major [studio]", including the fact that Netflix might be an outlet.[46] Later, in October 2011, Howard confirmed the adaptation is still on track, noting that HBO would now carry the television portion of the project.[47]

By March 2012, Warner Bros. was expressing interest in taking on the project.[48] Several months later, Goldsman delivered a new script for the first film to Warner Bros., and the studio had to make a decision in August 2012 whether to go ahead with the project. As well, Russell Crowe was being talked about as the lead character.[49] On August 20, 2012, Warner Bros. officially passed.[50] At the same time, Media Rights Capital (MRC) was in talks to take over the project from Warner.[51]

In January 2014, Aaron Paul stated that he had a conversation with Howard and was possibly being considered to play Eddie Dean (earlier, in October 2012, Paul had tweeted that the role of Eddie Dean was a "huge dream" of his).[52][53] Following that, a rumor appeared that Liam Neeson was interested in the part of Roland.[54]
    other than Hackiva's involvement this sounds like it was almost there. Image a Javier Bardem Roland...wow.

Mentioned
    233 Post(s)

On one hand: Mike Flanagan, basically Stephen King for movies.

OTOH: Amazon and Rings of Power.

woof.

Mentioned
    89 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by allegate View Post

On one hand: Mike Flanagan, basically Stephen King for movies.

OTOH: Amazon and Rings of Power.

woof.
    Can't be worse than the first Dark Tower film. I loved those books until King blew it up at the end. He can do that.

Mentioned
    732 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by chuckrh View Post
    Can't be worse than the first Dark Tower film. I loved those books until King blew it up at the end. He can do that.
    I actually really dug the end.

Flanagan...this might be the one, and it might not.

This WILL be successfully adapted at SOME point: I just hope we're all alive to see it.
    Last edited by elevenism; 12-15-2022 at 03:36 PM.

Mentioned
    732 Post(s)
    As for an actor to play long, tall and ugly, my wife and I have always dreamed of Viggo Mortenson.

Mentioned
    551 Post(s)
    I actually would love to see someone like Javier Bardem play the man in black.

And I disagree with most of the fans. I thought the way the books ended was great, though I will admit Stephen King does have a habit of going full-on "blow everything up" at the end of his epic novels, but Dark Tower went in a different direction and I liked the conclusion a lot.

Mentioned
    185 Post(s)
    I actually would love to see someone like Javier Bardem play the man in black.

And I disagree with most of the fans. I thought the way the books ended was great, though I will admit Stephen King does have a habit of going full-on "blow everything up" at the end of his epic novels, but Dark Tower went in a different direction and I liked the conclusion a lot.
    Only if he sports the same hair cut as in No Country.

Mentioned
    551 Post(s)
    I'm really optimistic about this Flanagan adaptation, and even though it's Amazon, they've been behind some really edgy stuff. I still couldn't believe they put out The Boys.

Still think HBO would have been a better fit, but then again... HBO has a shitty habit of canceling great shows right before they reach their conclusion (like Carnivale, Deadwood, and now Westworld). Wherever the series lands, fine, just if you start it, you better finish it.

Mentioned
    732 Post(s)
    I'm really optimistic about this Flanagan adaptation, and even though it's Amazon, they've been behind some really edgy stuff. I still couldn't believe they put out The Boys.

Still think HBO would have been a better fit, but then again... HBO has a shitty habit of canceling great shows right before they reach their conclusion (like Carnivale, Deadwood, and now Westworld). Wherever the series lands, fine, just if you start it, you better finish it.
    I hope to god they get this right.

I'm sure I've mentioned this here, but we say "An-Tet" instead of "marriage."

I remember seeing the first LoTR movie with my Pops, and seeing the way his jaw dropped, and the way he fucking TEARED UP (being a tough biker dude) seeing this "unadaptable" thing from his youth, done RIGHT.

I want THAT for The Dark Tower, for people like us: like me, my wife, @Jinsai , @Jon , @marodi and the rest of us.

Mentioned
    233 Post(s)

Mentioned
    169 Post(s)
    Let's just hope that Flanagan hasn't forgotten the face of his father.

For the longest time now I have wanted to have the line "The Man on Black fled across the desert, and the Gunslinger followed." tattooed on my arm. I love it so much. That's the whole story, right there.