Faceplams Faceplams:  0
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Thread: The Dark Tower movie adaptation

Mentioned
    169 Post(s)
    I'm still seeing it. Screw the haters.

You've all forgotten the face of your father.

Mentioned
    251 Post(s)
    I think it's worse for fans to excuse garbage adaptations simply because it has the name of something they love than for fans to expect quality out of the things that they love.

If the spoilers I've read are accurate, this is a total cash-grab attempt to fill the literary adaptation blockbuster void and it'll fail even at that. It sounds insulting if you love the books and generally scatterbrained if you've never read them and if what I read is the ending actually is the ending then I hope they don't get their TV series and don't get any sequels at all because this "attempt" at adapting this series needs to die off and we can all wait a decade or so for when a studio that won't test-screen something into oblivion and a writer and director who are actually competent and get it are able to make something set in this universe. I never really understood the desire for an adaptation of this series and I especially don't understand it now that we're seeing what becomes of it when it's attempted.
    Last edited by implanted_microchip; 08-03-2017 at 03:27 PM.

Mentioned
    169 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by kleiner352 View Post
    I think it's worse for fans to excuse garbage adaptations simply because it has the name of something they love than for fans to expect quality out of the things that they love.
    I'm not sure if it was addressed to me or not but I'll answer anyway.

I don't know if it's good or bad. I haven't seen it yet. But, as for every movie that I'm interested in, I want to make my own opinion about it. Sure it's a bit heartbreaking to see the bad critics but they have no influence on my desire to see it. It may be a shitty movie that I may like anyway or it may be a good movie that I don't like at all. But I'm dead set on making my own mind about it.

Maybe even more so in this case because of all the backlash and the trolling I saw (not here, praise my fellow ETS movie lovers) because of the casting of Idris Elba as Roland. How much of this factors in the reviews? Reviews are subjective. Even my own liking/disliking of a movie is sometime influenced by my feelings toward the actors/director. For example, I cannot stand Tom Cruise. He could be in the best movie ever made and my dislike of him would make me dislike that movie. I've never seen Top Gun and I will die without having seen it.

My own personal vision of the Dark Tower universe will remain but I want to see if this movie can fit in it. And I believe everyone should see it too, for themselves.

Mentioned
    251 Post(s)
    It's not at you specifically, just at the defensive attitude I've seen a lot of people hold.

With everything I know about it, I'm not going to like it, and I'm not going to be happy with it as an extension/adaptation/sequel/whatever they want to call it today of the book series, so why should I go give them money for it? Buying a ticket to it supports its existence and sequels. So far all of the issues I've seen have nothing to do with Elba's casting (although I've seen a lot of complaints that he's given nothing to do) -- the changes from book to film, the tonal changes, the pacing, the main story of it all sound terrible. I'm not planning on posting spoilers, but the things I've read happen in this are just ... no. Almost everything memorable from The Gunslinger sounds pretty much absent.

It's been my favorite book series since I read it at 13 and I just have no interest in this thing. If I go out to a restaurant because I saw an ad for some special sushi roll they're doing and I think it sounds good on paper and then I get there and the restaurant smells like human shit and someone who ordered it is next to me gagging and everyone tells me to avoid it, I'm not going to order it any way just because of my initial interest, I'm going to get up and leave. From the very first trailer I've thought this smelled like shit. I'd love to see a well-done version of these in live action, but this clearly isn't it.

Mentioned
    82 Post(s)
    Too little, too late IMO. It should have been developed as a TV show from the beginning.

Mentioned
    732 Post(s)
    Well, fuck me.
    These reviews are disheartening.

Mentioned
    25 Post(s)
    I'll still give it a look (i have a cineworld all you an watch card, so unless it's The Emoji movie bad i'll give anything a go) hopefully it will at least entertain me while i'm there.

Mentioned
    551 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by marodi View Post
    I'm still seeing it. Screw the haters.

You've all forgotten the face of your father.
    I love your optimism...

Mentioned
    96 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by slave2thewage View Post
    Too little, too late IMO. It should have been developed as a TV show from the beginning.
    Absolutely. Start with the show and if it takes off, then work on teasing a full movie, not the other way around. Shitty reviews have basically doomed the series before it even starts.

Mentioned
    96 Post(s)
    Bring it!
    I just wanna hear the lobsters say Dad-a-chum? Dum-a-chum? Ded-a-chek? Did-a-chick?

Mentioned
    251 Post(s)
    Supposedly a very, very large amount of things fans would want to see aren't even in it, so if you're going to check it out in hopes that you'll at least see some iconic moments replicated, don't hold your breath.

Mentioned
    551 Post(s)
    well, I saw it...

I guess if you go in expecting a bizarre mashup of The Neverending Story Pt 2 and Crocodile Dundee, with the central villain modeled after the bad guy from Final Fantasy XV, you might not be disappointed...

Mentioned
    732 Post(s)
    Maybe the show will still be good.
    The showrunner was previously the show runner for the walking dead.
    And I'm forever accidentally referring to Carl as Jake.

Mentioned
    251 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by elevenism View Post
    The showrunner was previously the show runner for the walking dead.
    That's not exactly a reason for confidence

Mentioned
    551 Post(s)
    this is the single most disappointing film adaptation EVER. Fuck this movie.

Mentioned
    79 Post(s)
    I was wary about this film as I wasn't sure if I wanted to see it but I knew it was going to be trouble once I saw who co-wrote the screenplay and is also a producer. Akiva Goldsman. The man who nearly killed the Batman franchise and write some awful movies as well as give us one of the worst films ever made in Winter's Tale.

Mentioned
    732 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by kleiner352 View Post
    That's not exactly a reason for confidence
    Idk. I always thought the tone was kind of similar.
    But goddamn, I hate hearing that this movie sucks.
    I've been dreaming of a dark tower movie for goddamn near 25 years.

Mentioned
    41 Post(s)
    far to ambitious trying cram how many books into an hour and half my opinion should have done either lord of the rings or game of thrones treatment
    -Louie

Mentioned
    23 Post(s)
    So if I only read the comics would I enjoy this movie, or is it a hard pass?

Mentioned
    551 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by ziltoid View Post
    So if I only read the comics would I enjoy this movie, or is it a hard pass?
    It's a bad movie. Full stop.

Mentioned
    169 Post(s)
    Ooookaaaaaay.

I liked the acting.

But I'm Canadian and us Canadians are really nice so I always try to say nice things. So yeah.

The acting was nice. Heh.

Mentioned
    23 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by marodi View Post
    Ooookaaaaaay.

I liked the acting.

But I'm Canadian and us Canadians are really nice so I always try to say nice things. So yeah.

The acting was nice. Heh.
    Damn, that's really disappointing.
    I guess it paid off just renting The Belko Experiment and Kong Island instead of wasting 13 bucks at the theater to see this.

Mentioned
    732 Post(s)
    Jesus. How could Stephen King let this happen to his fucking magnum opus?

Mentioned
    551 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by elevenism View Post
    Jesus. How could Stephen King let this happen to his fucking magnum opus?
    What I don't get is if we were just going by what he says on Twitter, he actually likes it.

Mentioned
    732 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Jinsai View Post
    What I don't get is if we were just going by what he says on Twitter, he actually likes it.
    I'm fucking speechless

Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    I went to a matinee showing on Saturday. I didn't think it was as bad as people said it was. I'm expecting there to be a sequel or two. I know diehard King fans will probably be disappointed, but whatever. Give it a chance. Don't judge it until you've actually seen it. I'm glad it was only 95 minutes. I can't sit through films that are more than 2 hours long.

Mentioned
    120 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Boots View Post
    I went to a matinee showing on Saturday. I didn't think it was as bad as people said it was. I'm expecting there to be a sequel or two. I know diehard King fans will probably be disappointed, but whatever. Give it a chance. Don't judge it until you've actually seen it. I'm glad it was only 95 minutes. I can't sit through films that are more than 2 hours long.
    It bombed hard. There will be no sequels. Apparently a TV series though...somehow.

Mentioned
    25 Post(s)
    Still not out in the UK so i get to enjoy all the hate before i can judge just how bad it is. It can't be as bad as Transformers and Despicable Me 3, if it is then bravo!

Mentioned
    551 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Haysey View Post
    Still not out in the UK so i get to enjoy all the hate before i can judge just how bad it is. It can't be as bad as Transformers and Despicable Me 3, if it is then bravo!
    I hated Transformers 2.... in an epic way.... it's a better movie.

This is so bad that somebody needs to find new work... doing something COMPLETELY different from making movies.

Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    I went in to this movie accepting the fact it wasn't going to be a faithful adaptation in any way, shape, or form, but an adaptation of several different elements from several different books, and I was still immensely disappointed. The movie is just bland. Roland is a side character in his own movie. The Man in Black feels like a villain from a Syfy original movie. Jake is such a dull protagonist; he's there for exposition and little else. We are given dull and and fleeting glimpses into Mid World and spend most of our time in New York City for a story line that has taken every fantastic and intriguing element about this series and stripped it down into a 95 minute experiment in cynical cash grabbing.

How and why this version of The Dark Tower was chosen for a film adaptation when they could have adapted The Gunslinger--and perhaps elements of the comics considering this was supposed to be the intro to a much larger franchise--and given us a potentially great western epic with elements of science fiction and horror (considering the recent success of Westworld there's proof people are willing to watch these kind of genre patchworks) is such a wasted opportunity. We're left with a film that's nothing but a disappointing waste of potential.