Page 2 of 11 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 ... LastLast

Thread: Rank NIN Albums

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    I agree that the sundtracks should not be included in this as they are not "NIN." Also, I dont understand how some can rank all the pre-with teeth stuff towards the bottom, especially TDS. Too abrasive/too much despair? THIS IS WHAT REZNOR IS KNOWN FOR. I dont get it.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    The Fragile
    The Downward Spiral
    Broken
    Still
    Year Zero
    Ghosts I-IV
    Pretty Hate Machine
    With Teeth
    The Slip

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    I always wonder, if like a lot of nin fans were asked this question, like 1000s, which album would eventually by first: The Downward Spiral or The Fragile.

Mentioned
    53 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by ubermensch View Post
    I agree that the sundtracks should not be included in this as they are not "NIN." Also, I dont understand how some can rank all the pre-with teeth stuff towards the bottom, especially TDS. Too abrasive/too much despair? THIS IS WHAT REZNOR IS KNOWN FOR. I dont get it.
    that seems to be the case with all new nin fans who were first exposed to nine inch nails with the with teeth album.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by spahn View Post
    that seems to be the case with all new nin fans who were first exposed to nine inch nails with the with teeth album.
    I'm about half and half, and it has nothing to do with abrasiveness or despair. I like those things in his music. But yeah I'm a 2005-present fan, so I wouldn't be surprised if I think very differently from those who waited six years for The Fragile.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    The Downward Spiral
    The Fragile
    Things Falling Apart
    And All That Could Have Been/Still
    Year Zero
    Broken
    Pretty Hate Machine
    With Teeth
    (Everything else, in no order)
    The Slip

I haven't given TGWTDT or TSN enough of a listen to include them.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    The Downward Spiral
    Year Zero
    The Fragile
    Pretty Hate Machine
    Broken
    Ghosts
    The Slip
    With Teeth

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    The Fragile
    Downward Spiral
    Pretty hate machine
    The Slip
    Broken
    Ghosts
    Year Zero
    With Teeth

Mentioned
    8 Post(s)
    The Downward Spiral
    The Fragile
    With Teeth
    Pretty Hate Machine
    Year Zero
    Broken
    The Slip
    Ghosts

Mentioned
    50 Post(s)
    Year Zero
    The Fragile
    The Downward Spiral
    Ghosts
    Pretty Hate Machine
    Broken
    With Teeth

The Slip

Mentioned
    161 Post(s)
    Just strictly NIN.

The Downward Spiral
    Broken
    Year Zero
    The Fragile
    [With_Teeth]
    Pretty Hate Machine
    The Slip
    Ghosts I-IV

-

Further Down the Spiral
    Things Falling Apart
    Fixed
    Y3ARZ3R0R3M1X3D
    Last edited by Space Suicide; 12-16-2011 at 02:34 PM.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    The Downward Spiral (over last 2-3 yrs, finally stuck out clearly. used to go back and forth)
    The Fragile
    Year Zero
    Further Down the Spiral (yes like it more than some albums)
    Broken
    Pretty Hate Machine
    The Slip
    Ghosts

With Teeth

Mentioned
    141 Post(s)
    I don't understand, what's with all the hate on "The Slip"?

Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Is it just me, or do two instrumental back-to-back seem a bit weird on a vocal album? I also wish "1,000,000" were a tad more original. Other than that, it's a solid album. Probably a 3.5/5 for me, just because most other NIN is stellar (obviously).

I recently gave With Teeth another run-through, and found myself singing and grooving to every.single.song. It sometimes feels like his best album so far. Say what you will about the drumming, but there are so many experimental moments to relish: the layers of "All The Love In The World", the void of "Beside You In Time", etc.
    Last edited by joplinpicasso; 12-16-2011 at 05:35 PM.

Mentioned
    50 Post(s)
    the major drawback of the slip is in not having a closing ballad. i expanded it with not so pretty now and non-entity as a remedy

An unfortunate place somewhere in the Southwest
    Mentioned
    68 Post(s)
    The Downward Spiral
    Pretty Hate Machine
    Broken
    With Teeth
    The Fragile
    Year Zero

The Slip

Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Nah, PHM doesn't have a closing ballad, it's in the middle; likewise with The Slip. Always thought that was cool.

Mentioned
    33 Post(s)
    The Fragile/The Downward Spiral
    Year Zero
    With Teeth
    Broken
    The Slip
    Pretty Hate Machine

..I think. I'm positive about TF, TDS and YZ, the rest can be interchangeable.
    Last edited by imail724; 12-17-2011 at 09:21 AM.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    So since I'm new here, I'll start on this topic.

The Fragile
    The Downward Spiral
    With Teeth
    Pretty Hate Machine
    Broken
    Year Zero
    Ghosts I-IV
    The Slip

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    This is a tough one, but here goes nothing.

1. It's tied between The Downward Spiral and The Fragile. It depends on the day. The Downward Spiral is deep, it makes you feel so personally attached to Trent and really understand what he's going through, not to mention it sounds amazing. The Fragile in my opinion sounds better, but the general plot is harder to follow, which makes it harder to really relate to. But both are probably in the top 10 best albums ever made.

2. With Teeth. It's great when you understand the incentive for why he wrote each song, and try to understand them as not a story but isolated event's in Trent's life, which makes it great. I love how the tracks like "Only" and "Right where it belongs" can stand alone, but also help the other tracks.

3. Year Zero. I love the concept, but I like the other albums because they insinuate feelings for Trent, while this one is a largely political focus, making it less satisfying. Although it is a great album, and most of the tracks are great.

4. Still. I can't listen to this album and not feel strong emotions boil inside me. It's so beautiful, and serene as well. One of Trent's best works.

5. Ghost. It's amazing, with each track sounding different and very creative. Great listen.

6. The slip. I like about half of the tracks off this album. He did have some work that wasn't really that great. Still a good album though, better than most of the stuff out there.

7. Pretty Hate Machine. I like most of the tracks on this, with the worst being "Sanctified". Oh my I can't stand that song. But it's a very good album if you take that and a few other's out.

8. Broken. Never liked this album, don't like the sound of it, or his voice. It doesen't relate to me at all like The Downward Spiral did. I can't believe some people on there said they were joined at hip. For me there even more different than Demi Lavato and Chris Barnes.

Mentioned
    20 Post(s)

Rank NIN Albums

⬆⬆⬆ I like this guy.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    1. The Downward Spiral
    2. The Fragile
    3. Year Zero

3,5. Still

4. With Teeth
    5. Pretty Hate Machine
    6. The Slip
    7. Broken
    8. Ghosts I-IV

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

NIN rankings

1. Broken -
    2. Downward Spiral
    3 Year Zero
    4 The Fragile
    5 The Slip
    6 With Teeth
    7 Pretty Hate Machine
    8 Ghosts

Been a fan since 91 and I like the harder edge of NIN thus Broken being my favorite

downward

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    My god I'm finding it hard to rank them. I tend to shift between them all quite alot so I guess it really depends on my mood. If I had to pick my favourite I'd probably be swinging towards With Teeth or The Fragile. It's such a diverse discography, it's too hard to compare them when you're a big fan of every album.

Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    The Fragile
    The Girl With The Dragon Tattoo
    The Downward Spiral
    Pretty Hate Machine
    Ghosts I-IV
    The Social Network
    Year Zero
    With Teeth
    Still
    Quake
    Broken
    The Slip

Mentioned
    79 Post(s)
    1. The Downward Spiral
    2. Broken
    3. The Fragile
    4. Year Zero
    5. Pretty Hate Machine
    6. Still
    7. Ghosts I-IV
    8. The Slip
    9. With Teeth

Mentioned
    64 Post(s)
    1. Year Zero - His most focused and realized album, plus it proved the concept album is still vital.
    2. The Downward Spiral - It can affect you like few albums can.
    3. The Fragile - Musically it's better at times than TDS and YZ, but I'll rank it here as it is. The deluxe edition may convince me to rank it higher, as we'll hear it as it was originally intended.
    4. Ghosts I-IV - Whether you pick a random track or listen to it all, it never ceases to impress you with its inventiveness.
    5. Pretty Hate Machine - A landmark of its time; some tracks haven't aged well, though.
    6. Broken - Same, but it holds up a bit better than PHM as far as its sound goes. When it hits hard, it's still effective.
    7. The Slip - Most NIN fans hate this, but I always saw it as a gift to us all. Trent wrote and produced it in a few weeks just to give us some fun.
    8. With Teeth - Mind you, I still love that it saved Trent as a musician, and his fears are evident in the lyrics, but it's still a weak album. Trent said that it sounds "cautious" to him now, and I agree. However, if it hadn't been for With Teeth, Trent could have abandoned music completely. So, thank you, With Teeth.
    9. Still - I usually don't count it as a studio album, which is why it's so low on my list. Nevertheless, And All That Could Have Been is one of my top 10 NIN songs.

Mentioned
    50 Post(s)
    i need to stay away from this topic. you're nice folks for the most part, but when you're making a wise face and talk about With Teeth in such condescending manner, i want to reach out and slap your faces

BenAkenobi facepalmed this post

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    The Fragile
    The Downward Spiral
    With Teeth
    Year Zero
    The Slip
    Broken
    Ghosts
    Pretty Hate Machine

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Oh this is going to be good. NIN is my favorite band. Became a fan during the gap between Fragile and With Teeth. Discovered them from a friend who lend me The Fragile and The Downward Spiral. I wasn't hooked then. But I eventually bought my own copy of The Fragile, they seemed a like a good band where I could at least own one album! I don't remember why I bought the DVD And All That Could Have Been, I really don't remember why, but HOT DAMN!!!! Now I was hooked!! And then With Teeth news started to come in and the anticipation started to grow!

1. With Teeth
    Oh yeah! I went there! It's not NIN's most crucial album, but it's my favorite one. It's the most accessible one. A lot of great tracks that can stand on their own, which is ironic since I always believe that what makes NIN so strong is the whole package.

1. The Fragile
    Or The Downward Spiral. Seriously it's all good. The Fragile is a big long, a few "weaker" songs, but it's a double album, LOTS OF SONGS!

1. The Downward Spiral
    They are all number one really. I love all of it.

4. Year Zero

5. The Slip
    I like The Slip. It's not the best, but it's ok.

6. Ghosts I-IV

7. Broken
    I don't like the production. I like the live versions though.

8. Pretty Hate Machine
    It's the ONLY NIN album where I hate songs. I enjoy 3 of them, the rest I can't really dig.