Page 4 of 11 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4 5 6 ... LastLast

Thread: Rank NIN Albums

Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    1. The Fragile-Not only is this album epic, but it contains an example of all the different musical styles of NIN, making it the one album that can give any listener the true definition of NIN's sound.
    2. The Downward Spiral-Not much to say that hasn't been said already. I think the Fragile and this album tie as NIN's masterpiece.
    3. Pretty Hate Machine-This was my favorite up until the Fragile was released. I've always been big on electronic music and the 80s sound. I probably play this one the most out of the entire catalog.
    4. Ghosts I-IV-I always wished for NIN to do soundtracks and this was sort of the first taste of that. The Social Network and Girl With The Dragon Tattoo (two of Trent's best work IMO) evolved from this stuff.
    5. Year Zero-A really cool concept and some great songs. It does get a bit draggy, but it is a very unique album.
    5. With Teeth-This sort of sounds like a "cliff notes" version of the Fragile, or even a more radio friendly version. It doesn't offer anything new to the catalog, but does contain some of his best songs.
    6. Broken-I like metal, but I'm not a huge fan. While this album is awesome, I prefer more diversity in an album, I suppose that is why it is shorter than the others.
    7. The Slip-Very enjoyable, but like With Teeth before it, it doesn't offer anything new to the table. It has a lot of good stuff, but it sounds more like a collection of outtakes from Ghosts, Year Zero and With Teeth.

I don't consider Still to be an actual album, as it contains re-workings and material meant for the movie "One Hour Photo".

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    In this moment because change frequently...

1-The Fragile
    2-Ghost I-IV
    3-Broken
    4-Prety Hate Machine
    5-With Teeth
    6-Year Zero
    7-The Downward Spiral
    8-The Slip

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    -The Downward Spiral [my entry ticket, after all these years still things to discover]
    -With Teeth [the first nin-album whose launch I've withnessed, still in love with the design]
    -The Fragile [arguably the best one, but not my favorite]
    -Broken/Fixed [what is there to say?]
    -Year Zero [pretty much still love it & and it's world, but not in as heavy rotation anymore than it's brethren]
    -Pretty Hate Machine [granted, it has top songs, but overall it was always the hardest one for me to love]
    -The Slip/Ghosts I-IV [tie for the last, but still awesome records in itself]
    Last edited by Henrie_Schnee; 06-12-2013 at 05:33 PM.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    1. The Downward Spiral
    2. Year Zero
    3. Pretty Hate Machine
    4. The Fragile
    5. With Teeth
    6. Broken
    7. The Slip
    8. Ghosts I-IV

Didn't put much thought into. Simply tried to gauge how I react to each album when listening. Perhaps With Teeth should be higher. I'll justify my picks better when I have the time.

Mentioned
    96 Post(s)
    01. The Downward Spiral
    02. With Teeth
    03. Broken
    04. Not The Actual Events
    05. The Fragile
    06. Still
    07. Pretty Hate Machine
    08. Add Violence
    09. The Slip
    10. Ghosts
    11. Hesitation Marks
    12. Year Zero

Updated on 9/5/17
    Last edited by neorev; 09-05-2017 at 06:48 PM.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Well since I think PHM is one of the greatest albums of all time it's obviously got the top spot.

1. Pretty Hate Machine
    2. Broken
    3. The Downward Spiral (LOVE further down the spiral too)
    4. Ghosts I-IV
    5. The Fragile
    6. With Teeth
    7. Year Zero
    8. The Slip

Honestly I just kind of guessed at 7 and 8 because I never really listen to either of them.

Mentioned
    168 Post(s)
    *EDIT* After hearing "Hesitation Marks" i think it goes:

1. The Downward Spiral - No words can do justice to this masterpiece!

2. The Fragile - In my opinion his best MUSICAL effort yet it has some filler (very little thankfully!)

3. Broken - Could have been the best NIN album if it were longer...

4. With Teeth - I think Trent resumes all his tricks in this album, straightforward and to the point!

Hesitation Marks - Liked!!!

Pretty Hate Machine - A bit dated, yet awesome in detail, this album shows that Trent had amazing ideas from the start, he just needed to polish his "act"

7. Year Zero
    - Awesome production values, yet it has filler, most of the songs are good not great

Ghosts I-IV - An ambitious effort and a very good album, yet it think it's hard to listen to it as a complete album...

9. The Slip - I like it, but it's my least favorite
    Last edited by henryeatscereal; 02-22-2017 at 08:27 AM. Reason: Came back haunted

Mentioned
    73 Post(s)
    In honor of he Hesitation Marks leak, I wanted to finally contribute to this thread...

This is very tricky, since I have such a childhood nostalgia attached to the pre-With Teeth albums. I have no idea how I'd feel if I heard them all at once. That said:

1. The Fragile - Two discs, layers, soundscapes. At the time, it felt like getting an extended edition of The Downward Spiral. Seeing The Great Below live was an incredible catharsis for me.

2. The Downward Spiral - The classic. I used to have this in my Walkman on repeat. My band in high school covered Hurt and March Of The Pigs.

3. Pretty Hate Machine - One of the first albums I owned. Eleven years old. I still love every song.

4. Hesitation Marks - After five or six listens, I'm pretty positive this is my favorite post-Fragile album. No idea how I'll feel about it as years go by, but I'm guessing it'll be somewhere around this spot (decent chance this would go above PHM without nostalgia bias).

5. Broken - A devastating staple of my middle school years. This album felt like the only person who understood me when I wanted to run away from home. If The Fragile gets brownie points just for there being so much more of it, Broken loses them for being an EP (just in terms of ranking, not in terms of how I feel about it as its own entity).

(Ghosts I-IV - I love Ghosts, but it's hard to rank it against the others due to its instrumental nature. It's more of an opus/symphony/soundtrack to me than an album.)

6. Year Zero - The Beginning Of The End and Capital G aside, I love almost every song on this album. The ARG was amazing, and hearing In This Twilight in the context of the story I had been following made me lose my shit.

7. With Teeth - I have a lot of nostalgia connected with this one, too, since I was still impressionable in my early twenties and it was the first thing after the hiatus, but I feel many of the songs are just kind of paint-by-numbers. I hate the rap-singing at the end of The Hand That Feeds.

8. The Slip - Nothing against this album either, but, like With Teeth, I just feel most of the songs are fairly lackluster. 1,000,000, Letting You, and Head Down sound like a 40 something trying to be a hard rocker. As much as I like the tracks (particularly the latter), the Corona Radiata / Four Of Us Are Dying interlude also feels out of place on such a short album.

So there it is. If anyone reading will indulge a little Hesitation Marks pontificating from me, I feel like With Teeth, Year Zero, and The Slip had so many brilliant moments, most of which were more electronic or mellow than rock-based (All The Love In The World, Sunspots, Right Where It Belongs, Me, I'm Not, My Violent Heart, The Good Soldier, The Warning, Vessel, In This Twilight, Demon Seed- Echoplex and Discipline to lesser extent). My biggest problem was those albums also had songs, most of which I mentioned above, that were very songwriting 101 that sounded like someone whose heart wasn't in hard rock anymore trying to keep up that persona (I believe the lyrics of Discipline are about this struggle). However you feel about Hesitation Marks, it absolutely sounds to me like someone who is fully realizing the music inside of him rather than trying to satisfy an expectation, whether from himself or others. Came Back Haunted had me worried, for instance. I like the song a lot, but it felt a little like it was just the new Hand That Feeds, rather than something like Copy Of A, which sounded like nothing i had ever heard before.

Thanks for reading. I'd love to hear your thoughts on the above. I love looking at this career as a complete arc and the cause and effect of it all.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    This is tough. I'm (heh) hesitant to make the list without listening to HM but honestly I assume it will take many a listen to place that one on the list anyway.

1. The Fragile - start to finish, no track skipped. The only reason I ever invested in a multi-disc player. I remember making a burned copy of the Right disc with all of the songs from the different versions. Never could get Appendage to sound right with the rest of it. And I think I spent way too much time making The Mark Has Been Made segue into 10 Miles High correctly.

2. The Downward Spiral - it's hard to argue this as not at least second on the list. I may skip a track here or there... I'm not a fan of I Do Not Want This or the titular track. But, it's a fucking amazing album, no question.

3. With Teeth - REALLY tough call on #3. I guess there's a few reasons though... it's accessible. It's a departure on sound to a degree, and I feel that rehashing the same sound over and over again isn't growth. Fuck it, there's a lot of catchy songs on here. EDIETS, Only, TLBTB, RWIB.

4. The Slip - I like the range on this album. We go from Metal to catchy Dance anthem to subdued Ambient to borderline Techno.

5. Broken - I have a hard time listening to this because, basically, I wore it the fuck out. It was my first NIN purchase. I actually like the Closure music video version of Gave Up better (Manson playing guitar or bass... don't remember). I remember getting a bootleg of the Broken Movie on VHS (two copies actually - one TechnoNecrophilia and one The X Files) and thinking "What the fuck am I watching?"

6. Year Zero - I hate to place this so low on the list. It's a really good album, I got sucked into the ARG... I remember kinda doing a WTF? the first time through and still find myself doing that from time to time. But again, new sound, new direction. I liked the change.

7. Ghosts I-IV - This was such a surprise. It came out of nowhere and it was such an odd idea. I got one of the LTD editions, still have it. It's actually still in the box it was shipped to me in. It's a cool concept and I'll throw in on every great once in a while as background usually. Truthfully though, it's rare that I'm like "I really want to listen to Ghosts right now."

8. Pretty Hate Machine - Just not high on my list. I think it's partly that I picked it up later than a lot of the other stuff. Kinda like watching Chinatown after seeing tons of other film noir first. What's the big deal? ATTACK.

I kinda always forget about Still. I like Still, but I treat it like a B-side.
    I'm not delving into soundtrack work, because that feels like Trent Reznor instead of Nine Inch Nails. If that makes any sense. Yes, Trent Reznor IS Nine Inch Nails. But, it's a part of him not the whole of him? Whatever.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Janus3659 View Post
    I kinda always forget about Still. I like Still, but I treat it like a B-side.
    I'm not delving into soundtrack work, because that feels like Trent Reznor instead of Nine Inch Nails. If that makes any sense. Yes, Trent Reznor IS Nine Inch Nails. But, it's a part of him not the whole of him? Whatever.
    Still is not a "studio album" so you're correct to not include it on your list. You're also correct not to include the soundtrack albums as they were not released under the NIN name and thus are not NIN releases.

Here are mine:

1. The Downward Spiral
    2. Broken
    3. With Teeth
    4. Pretty Hate Machine
    5. The Fragile
    6. Hesitation Marks
    7. Year Zero
    8. The Slip
    9. Ghosts I-IV

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    1. The Downward Spiral
    2. Hesitation Marks
    3. Year Zero
    4. The Fragile
    5. Ghosts I-IV
    6. Broken
    7. Pretty Hate Machine
    8. With Teeth
    9. The Slip

If I was allowed The Social Network soundtrack it would have been near the top. 2nd or 3rd probably.

Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    1. The Fragile
    2. The Downward Spiral
    3. Hesitation Marks
    4. With Teeth
    5. Year Zero
    6. Broken
    7. Pretty Hate Machine
    8. Ghosts I-IV
    9. The Slip

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Pretty Hate Machine (Probably because this is the first NIN album I listened to so it holds a special place in my heart.)
    The Downward Spiral
    Hesitation Marks
    The Fragile
    Broken
    With Teeth
    Year Zero
    Ghosts I-IV
    The Slip

I guess I am in the minority with PHM!

Mentioned
    23 Post(s)
    1. Still
    2. The Downward Spiral
    3. Hesitation Marks
    4. The Fragile/Year Zero
    5. Ghost
    6. PHM
    7. Slip
    8. With Teeth
    9. Broken

but to be honest I love them all the same
    Last edited by Dryalex12; 08-27-2013 at 12:50 PM.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Hi guys. Decided to resurrect my account from the ETS graveyard because I've been putting some thought into my own rankings lately.

1. The Fragile
    2. Pretty Hate Machine
    3. The Downward Spiral
    4. Hesitation Marks
    5. Broken
    6. With Teeth
    7. The Slip
    8. Year Zero
    9. Ghosts I-IV

If Still was allowed, I'd probably put it at #2 because AATCHB and Leaving Hope are that good. Also, HM could move up or down over time. I know when YZ first came out, I would have put it near the top of the list, but it just did not hold up well for me.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Obviously this list could easily, easily change as it will take a couple of months to fully decide where HM stands. However, as of now:

9) The Slip
    8) Ghosts
    7) With Teeth
    6) Hesitation Marks
    5) Year Zero
    4) The Fragile
    3) Broken
    2) Pretty Hate Machine
    1) The Downward Spiral

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    1. The Fragile
    2. The Downward Spiral
    3. Hesitation Marks
    4. Broken
    5. Pretty Hate Machine
    6. With Teeth
    7. Year Zero
    8. The Slip
    9. Ghost

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    1. The Downward Spiral
    2. The Fragile
    3. Hesitation Marks
    4. Ghosts I-IV
    5. Broken
    6. The Slip
    7. Year Zero
    8. Pretty Hate Machine
    9. With Teeth

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Well if we are including things like the soundtracks, i'm going to include remix and live albums since they were released under the actual NIN name. So my order goes like this:

1. The Downward Spiral
    2. The Fragile
    3. Year Zero
    4. Broken
    5. Year Zero Remixed
    6. With Teeth
    7. Still
    8. Pretty Hate Machine
    9. Ghosts I-IV
    10. The Slip
    11. The Girl With The Dragon Tattoo
    12. And All That Could Have Been
    13. Further Down The Spiral
    14. The Social Network
    15. Things Falling Apart
    16. Fixed

right now Hesitation Marks is coming in somewhere between Still and The Girl With The Dragon Tattoo

Mentioned
    22 Post(s)
    The thing about Still is that it contains past original songs (you all knew that right? NIN fans), so...kinda...you know.

But if you say fuck it... (in which case I'll say it with you)

The Fragile > The Downward Spiral
    Hesitation Marks > With Teeth > Broken
    Pretty Hate Machine > Still > The Slip
    Ghosts I-IV > Year Zero

(Keeping it straight NIN.)

These are my updated preferences.
    Last edited by Amaro; 09-03-2013 at 10:06 AM.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    1. The Downward Spiral
    2. Pretty Hate Machine
    3. Broken
    4. Year Zero (tie)
    4. The Fragile (tie)
    6. The Slip
    7. With Teeth
    8. Ghosts I-IV

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    1. The Fragile
    2. The Downward Spiral
    3. Hesitation Marks
    4. Year Zero
    5. With Teeth
    6. The Slip
    7. Pretty Hate Machine
    8. Broken
    9. Ghosts I-IV

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    1. The Fragile
    2. The Downward Spiral
    3. Hesitation Marks
    4. Broken
    5. PHM
    6. Still
    7. Ghosts
    8. Year Zero
    9. With Teeth
    10. The Slip

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by dregs View Post
    1. The Fragile
    2. The Downward Spiral
    3. Hesitation Marks
    4. Broken
    5. PHM
    6. Still
    7. Ghosts
    8. Year Zero
    9. With Teeth
    10. The Slip
    Me and this guy/girl think exactly the same

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    This is really tough. But before I go into any list I think it is important to set the ground rules for the ranking, for example the OP didn't include Ghosts because it is an instrumental album.

So, I guess my first criteria would be that only NIN official releases count and that this is not a TR list. So no GWTDT, TSN or HDA. The second, is that this is purely subjective based on my tastes right now, with maybe some consideration given to the effect these albums have had on me over the years. I will not, however, be giving any consideration at all to the public's perception of the albums. So TDS being one of the hallmark 90s releases won't have any effect on my ranking it but the fact that TF was my first ever NIN album may solidify its position at number 1 because I'm a sentimental motherfucker and it was basically my first love.

I know exactly what 1 and 2 will be, and I know what is going to be last, but 3-8 are really tough choices.

1. The Fragile - Trent's most masterful work. Two CD sprawling opus that changed the way I listened to music. From the first time I heard it, NIN were my favorite band. If I was a little older and had been introduced to TDS first, then TDS might take top spot, but even ignoring the sentimentality of The Fragile, it still takes top spot. This has been and always will be my favorite NIN album. The day that the Ultra Deluxe Remastered Edition is released is the day my life will be complete. Goddamn, I really hope that it is still in the plans at some point.

2. The Downward Spiral - Easy number 2 choice. I don't feel like a whole ton more has to be said because these top two seem fairly obvious to me - and apparently almost everyone else because TDS and TF are numbers 1/2 on almost every list.

3. Hesitation Marks - This might be the euphoria of a new album dropping but I'm pretty confident in this choice at number 3. HM feels like TR has taken all of my favorite things from WT, YZ and The Slip and combined that with a new direction and HM is what came out.

4. Ghosts I-IV - When I was in University I bet I listened to this album 200 times because any time I was writing a paper, I would put it on repeat and it would be my sountrack to writing for hours on end. I disagree with the comments in this thread that it is too long, isn't as tight as it could be, is directionless or anything else that has been mentioned in this thread (although I might use some of those comments for a GWTDT review but I digress). It is just so beautiful in so many ways. Never has an album that is without a single word said so much to me.

5. With Teeth - Again my sentimentality is probably what puts this ahead of my 6th-8th choices, as this was the first NIN album that I heard on release day (at the time anyway). It certainly has some weaker songs, like The Collector, but to this day Sunspots is in my top 3 NIN songs of all time.

6. Year Zero - It does have a couple of tracks I'm not overly fond of but I love the way it represented such a shift from WT and then to The Slip. Both WT and the Slip seem to be more on the Broken side of the pendulum, being more rock oriented with a raw stripped down kind of a feel. YZ feels now like very much a precursor to HM in that it was very electronic focused.

7. Broken - I couldn't decide where the heck to put this. Slight disadvantage in that it is so short but it is also the album I'd most likely describe as being like getting hit with a sledge hammer. What it lacks in length, it certainly makes up for in intensity.

8. The Slip - I really wanted to put this higher but there is just so many strong candidates in the previous 7 spaces. Even in an all-star game, someone still has to get picked last, or in this case second last. Good album and unlike some of the previous choices there isn't a single song I don't like but it also doesn't have any game breakers that take it to the next level.

9. Pretty Hate Machine - As mentioned, only my 1/2 choices and this one were set in stone before I even thought about ranking the albums. I don't dislike PHM, and I'm definitely too young to have appreciated its effect in the late 80s/early 90s, but even though it has grown on me, it still sounds a bit dated and is the only album I don't listen to regularly. I also prefer the live versions of pretty much every song that is played live. There are a few songs in the NIN catalogue that I prefer live but rare that I prefer all the live versions to the studio versions. I don't hate it. I just don't love it as much as the others.

If I were to incorporate TSN and TGWTDT, I'd put TSN in 4th and bump Ghosts down to 5th and so on. And then I'd put TGWTDT somewhere around Broken/The Slip, maybe ahead of both or between or behind both. Not sure. That one never grabbed me like the others. Still is hard to place too because while I like that record, it is really the last half of the album that I love, specifically AATCHB. Overall though I'd have to place it in the lower half. Probably same or similar to TGWTDT.
    Last edited by Winter Is Coming; 08-29-2013 at 11:28 PM.

Mentioned
    280 Post(s)
    1. Broken
    2. With_Teeth
    3. The Fragile
    4. Year Zero
    5. Still
    6. Hesitation Marks
    7. The Downward Spiral
    8. Pretty Hate Machine
    9. The Slip
    10. Ghosts

Mentioned
    8 Post(s)
    1.The Downward Spiral
    2.The Fragile
    3.With Teeth
    4.PHM
    5.Hesitation Marks
    6.Broken
    7.Year Zero
    8.The Slip
    9.Ghosts

Obviously HM could move up or down, but It's going to have to grow on me pretty hard to knock any of those
    top 4 albums out..

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    9. Year Zero (love the story/concept behind it though) 8. The Slip 7. Pretty Hate Machine 6. Broken 5. With_Teeth 4. Ghosts 3. Hesitation Marks 2. The Downward Spiral 1. The Fragile

Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    1. The Fragile 5/5
    2. The Downward Spiral 5/5
    3. Hesitation Marks 4.5/5
    4. Year Zero 4/5
    5. Ghosts 3.5/5
    6. The Slip 3/5
    7. Pretty Hate Machine 3/5
    8. Broken 2.5/5
    9. With Teeth (A fucking awful album. THTF, Only and the final 3 save it from not being a 0 in my book, the final three are some of my favorite ever.) 1.5/5
    Last edited by ninsp; 08-28-2013 at 01:17 AM.

Mentioned
    27 Post(s)
    I'll rank em all.

1. The Fragile
    2. The Downward Spiral
    3. Hesitation Marks
    4. With Teeth
    5. Broken
    6. Ghosts I-IV
    7. Still
    8. Pretty Hate Machine
    9. The Slip