Page 8 of 12 FirstFirst ... 6 7 8 9 10 ... LastLast

Thread: PIG - and Other Raymond Watts Projects

Mentioned
    84 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Arcspiral View Post
    Are you talking about Risen? They have that for $50, which is a great deal considering shipping to the states came out to close to $90. I bought one and it's gorgeous!
    I am, yes. Thanks!

Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Anyone know what time PIG has been taking the stage at these recent shows? I'm going tonight and the website says 7 and lists one opener.

Mentioned
    122 Post(s)
    He didn't take the stage until 8ish when I saw him earlier this month in LA.

Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by NotoriousTIMP View Post
    He didn't take the stage until 8ish when I saw him earlier this month in LA.
    Thanks! That's exactly what I was hoping.

Mentioned
    22 Post(s)
    Anybody who's still going to one of these shows, if you pick me up one of those Hell To Pay cd's, i'll pay for it plus shipping via PayPal, plus a tip for your trouble. I'm in Ohio.

Edit: i'll pay for part of it up front, for good faith and all that.
    Last edited by Demogorgon; 09-26-2018 at 03:34 PM.

Mentioned
    84 Post(s)
    I'm going to the Toronto show, but if I'm not mistaken the Hell to Pay CD is for folks who pay for VIP only. I can inquire about getting one extra though. Failing that...PM me Sunday.
    Last edited by Shadaloo; 09-26-2018 at 09:53 PM.

Mentioned
    22 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Shadaloo View Post
    I'm going to the Toronto show, but if I'm not mistaken the Hell to Pay CD is for folks who pay for VIP only. I can inquire about getting one extra though. Failing that...PM me Sunday.
    Solid. I would definitely appreciate the effort.

Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Yeah they must just be for VIP, I checked the merch last night and they didn't have any.

Show was great, didn't realize they were only a 3 piece this round of shows. Probably only about 50 people there but he still put on a great show. Picked up a Loud, Lawless & Lost shirt for the hell of it.

Mentioned
    84 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Demogorgon View Post
    Solid. I would definitely appreciate the effort.
    Asked and the answer is no, sadly
    Last edited by Shadaloo; 09-29-2018 at 10:55 PM.

Mentioned
    22 Post(s)
    Asked and the answer is no, sadly
    It was worth a shot, so thanks for trying.

Edit: if anyone is willing to part with their copy from VIP or at the very least wouldn't mind ripping the tracks, send me a PM and i'll work out a deal with you.

Edit Edit: Got it handled. Thanks, @Shadaloo .
    Last edited by Demogorgon; 09-30-2018 at 04:01 PM.

Mentioned
    84 Post(s)
    Brief notes from last night's show:

-Ray told me a new album is coming next year. Calls it very unorthodox, sweet and gritty, like "chewing gum covered in sand."

-Asked if he'd ever collaborate with Paul Barker. Said no, because there's just too much stuff to do.
    -Wants to get more older albums rereleased on LP
    -They are sold out of Risen LPS but the possibility of another printing is being considered.
    -I asked Ben Christo to kick Andrew Eldritch in the arse and get him to come over the ocean with the Sisters of Mercy again. He agrees it's been far too long.

-Ray gave me a great big hug.

Mentioned
    22 Post(s)
    I'd be super excited if Sisters of Mercy toured through my corridor of the US. "First And Last And Always" is one of the albums that spurred on my budding musical tastes as a teen.

Mentioned
    141 Post(s)

-Ray told me a new album is coming next year. Calls it very unorthodox, sweet and gritty, like "chewing gum covered in sand."
    Another new record!? Jesus Christ, the man doesn't know how to stop! Guy pumps out a new record faster than KMFDM these days, and they pump 'em out pretty fast still, lol.

Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by ManBurning View Post
    Another new record!? Jesus Christ, the man doesn't know how to stop! Guy pumps out a new record faster than KMFDM these days, and they pump 'em out pretty fast still, lol.
    Except Ray's stuff is good

The That's the Way LPs come with download cards if anyone else was wondering, though I may have missed it in here. I like that his stuff is not exactly exclusive to the wax if you choose to buy it.

Hopefully the old albums get the Wrecked treatment as he teased, that would be quite cool. He fully owns the rights to Praise the Lard (an old interview from http://www.raymondwatts.com tells the story), and he's shown images of the original Hog Love tape on IG/Twitter. Worldwide distribution for Alfa records (The Swining) was eventually taken on by Sony Music Japan, so ownership still has a heartbeat of some form (assuming he doesn't fully own it like PTL). Nothing Records... even with the TR-driven reissues, Sinsation has a little question mark since that wasn't a part of it - maybe it will be a deal with Victor Entertainment, who did the JP release.

I'm so happy there's been regular PIG news for 2+ years.
    Last edited by blassster; 10-01-2018 at 07:17 PM.

Mentioned
    141 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by blassster View Post
    Except Ray's stuff is good .
    I wanted so bad to argue this statement, but I can't. I can't at all. You are 200% correct with what you said. KMFDM's recent stuff is not even comparable to Ray's new stuff. Complete garbage in my mind, which is unfortunate. I'll always continue to support KMFDM, they're in my top 5, but Ray is making way more exciting music these days.

Mentioned
    64 Post(s)
    The Blades remix from Wrecked is stuck in my head.

Mentioned
    95 Post(s)
    I liked Risen but I didn't get into The Gospel. Given that Sinsation and Praise The Lard are among my all time favorite albums, I will always have time for checking out whatever Ray puts out. Also he was the first musician I interviewed, back in 99 (I will scan that interview and put it online, it was very extensive).

Mentioned
    73 Post(s)
    Anyone here going to the LA show this Friday?

Mentioned
    122 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Toadflax View Post
    Anyone here going to the LA show this Friday?
    I was, but I'm kinda taking a break from spending money on concerts.

Mentioned
    73 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by NotoriousTIMP View Post
    I was, but I'm kinda taking a break from spending money on concerts.
    Gotcha. I’m having the same thoughts about Gary Numan on Saturday. I’d love to go, but I kind of have concert fatigue after going to so many this year, and saving the $50+ is appealing...

Mentioned
    20 Post(s)
    I might show up. *maybe*

Mentioned
    122 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by DVYDRNS View Post
    I might show up. *maybe*
    damn it! Have fun

Mentioned
    20 Post(s)
    NVM I have a shoot that night. in Santa Barbara. Totally spaced on it. :P

Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Though I'm judging just by smartphone YouTube videos, I like the new live band members.

For those who have gone to the current and past shows, does anything feel missing with having just 3 people? Much of the work is already sample/synth-based, and previously having multiple guitars used to thicken a few things up for the show. Again, never been to a show myself so I don't know for sure how they compare in reality.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    I have a copy of the Watts radio interview and live performance from 1990. PM me if you interested.

Mentioned
    73 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by blassster View Post
    Though I'm judging just by smartphone YouTube videos, I like the new live band members.

For those who have gone to the current and past shows, does anything feel missing with having just 3 people? Much of the work is already sample/synth-based, and previously having multiple guitars used to thicken a few things up for the show. Again, never been to a show myself so I don't know for sure how they compare in reality.
    Having seen him twice at the same venue in the span of a year, I can definitely confirm it felt like something was missing this time around. I was right in front of the stage, and basically the drums and guitar drowned out the backing tracks and Raymond's vocals. With the full band last year, everything was loud; this time, it was just the two live instruments. Also there was more focus on songs from Nihil and Sinsation last time with Gunther Schultz and En Esch in the line up. That said, still a very fun show, and the guitarist does a great job of being a showman and sharing the stage with Raymond.

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Toadflax View Post
    Having seen him twice at the same venue in the span of a year, I can definitely confirm it felt like something was missing this time around. I was right in front of the stage, and basically the drums and guitar drowned out the backing tracks and Raymond's vocals. With the full band last year, everything was loud; this time, it was just the two live instruments. Also there was more focus on songs from Nihil and Sinsation last time with Gunther Schultz and En Esch in the line up. That said, still a very fun show, and the guitarist does a great job of being a showman and sharing the stage with Raymond.
    I wonder if that was a mixing or venue-specific issue. Having caught the last 3 headlining shows in NYC (did not catch them opening for KJ), my experience at the latest was that the vocals and backing tracks were more prominent than before, which frankly I appreciated. Regardless, I'll take Pig in whatever form I can after the very long drought. Raymond is a sweetheart, and it's wonderful having him back in such a productive mode.

Mentioned
    73 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by roolfdriht View Post
    I wonder if that was a mixing or venue-specific issue. Having caught the last 3 headlining shows in NYC (did not catch them opening for KJ), my experience at the latest was that the vocals and backing tracks were more prominent than before, which frankly I appreciated. Regardless, I'll take Pig in whatever form I can after the very long drought. Raymond is a sweetheart, and it's wonderful having him back in such a productive mode.
    That's good to hear. I had wondered if I would get a better sound if I moved halfway back, but I didn't want to leave the slapped-in-the-face-with-sleeve-fringe zone.

Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    https://www.youtube.com/playlist?lis...201D6463B3BDD3

I watched the '99 Osaka performance playlist the other night and this version of DD&D has been stuck in my head since. I like his vocal delivery in the megaphone.
    Last edited by blassster; 10-16-2018 at 10:33 PM.

Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    3 track Christmas cover EP coming Dec 7

http://rockallphotography.com/?p=26111

>BLACK MASS will be released on December 7, 2018 through Armalyte Industries. It will be available for free download via Bandcamp, though a minimum donation is appreciated, with all proceeds going to INTERNATIONAL RESCUE COMMITTEE (https://www.rescue.org).