Faceplams Faceplams:  0
Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 3 4 5

Thread: BUSH! (The band, not George H.W., George W., Neil, Barbara, Jeb, etc.)

Mentioned
    82 Post(s)

Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by neorev View Post

Inspired by System Of A Down????

Where? I don't hear it.
    I guess it was more the lower tunings of the band that inspired him: https://www.blabbermouth.net/news/bu...tem-of-a-down/

Asked which heavier bands he has been listening to that might have led him in that direction, Gavin said: "SYSTEM OF A DOWN, I was really checking them out and just really enjoying, really diving into that band. SYSTEM would be one… As soon as you get into that world of detuning and different kind of tunings, it opened up a whole new world, and I found it really inspiring and got into it."

Mentioned
    43 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Triggermine View Post
    *Listens* Yep... Bush has no intention of escaping that overproduced sound. *Sigh* Didn't Gavin say he was inspired by System of a Down for this album? I'm hearing more of a Chevelle influence.
    Being a huge Chevelle fan, I agree. They definitely took some notes from the boys notebook but Chevelle just does it way better *shrugs*.

The album really isn't that bad considering Bush standards, but it really loses steam halfway through and that is where the bore comes in for me.

Plus, little gripe, but does Gavin have to put the name of every single song in the lyrics? Pet peeve of mine when it comes to listening to an album in its entirety. I definitely don't think it deserves that bad of a rating, it is just pretty mediocre.

Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    I'm a fan as well, not as much as I used to be, but I always check out their new music when it's released. I really dug "The North Corridor". They definitely do that sound better. If Gavin wanted to explore that sound more, he should incorporate some screaming. He did small spurts of it on the first album. The end of "Swim" comes to mind.

As far as the more recent albums are concerned, this is certainly a good effort in trying to try new things, but I can't stand that every song is trying to sound like a single. It's OK to deviate from a formula, Gavin. Downtuning guitars isn't the only extent of experimentation.

I don't think he'd know what else to call the songs if he didn't. I'm pretty sure his lyrical process is entirely freeflow, just putting down whatever comes out in the moment. This is why a lot of his lyrics are so fucking weird sometimes.

Mentioned
    43 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Triggermine View Post
    I'm a fan as well, not as much as I used to be, but I always check out their new music when it's released. I really dug "The North Corridor". They definitely do that sound better. If Gavin wanted to explore that sound more, he should incorporate some screaming. He did small spurts of it on the first album. The end of "Swim" comes to mind.

As far as the more recent albums are concerned, this is certainly a good effort in trying to try new things, but I can't stand that every song is trying to sound like a single. It's OK to deviate from a formula, Gavin. Downtuning guitars isn't the only extent of experimentation.

I don't think he'd know what else to call the songs if he didn't. I'm pretty sure his lyrical process is entirely freeflow, just putting down whatever comes out in the moment. This is why a lot of his lyrics are so fucking weird sometimes.
    The North Corridor was very chuggy; I was hoping for more of the sound they were aiming with on La Gargola, but it still bangs. I wonder if Gavin can even belt out a scream or two nowadays even with him admitting in that interview that his voice really hadn't changed all that much, but it does sound a bit more mature if that makes sense.

Exactly what I was saying with the song titles being said in almost every track; they all sound like single territory but I will admit I was head bobbing to the first 6 tracks. I would like to hear a few solos which is something Chevelle has been doing (Thankfully) as of recent.

The freeflow I actually really like and once again I can't help but compare that with Pete Loeffler. Not saying that Gavin doesn't put some thought into the process, but there is a lot more meat behind Pete's lyrics. He admitted when meeting him that he does freeflow and doesn't mean for his writing to be so cryptic sometimes, but hey, it works. If I were to tell you that "Hunter Eats Hunter" was about taking out the trash at night in hopes that a demon doesn't try possessing you, you may look at me weird lol.

Mentioned
    82 Post(s)
    Bush did tour with Chevelle a few times, caught the show twice in Boston.

Mentioned
    120 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by GulDukat View Post
    Bush did tour with Chevelle a few times, caught the show twice in Boston.
    I saw them together in Asbury Park & i had a much, much better time than I thought I might. I was a little apprehensive about 2016 Bush. I was wrong and i was thrilled to be.

Mentioned
    82 Post(s)
    RE: The production of the new album: I think people who have issues with the sound/production values would still dig the songs when played live.

Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    RE: The production of the new album: I think people who have issues with the sound/production values would still dig the songs when played live.
    No argument there. Those songs will sound massive live!

Mentioned
    82 Post(s)
    Last edited by GulDukat; 07-23-2020 at 06:26 AM.

Mentioned
    233 Post(s)

Are there Gavin Rossdale conspiracy theories?

Mentioned
    82 Post(s)
    Did not sell enough to reach the billboard 200. Bummer.

Mentioned
    82 Post(s)

Mentioned
    82 Post(s)
    New songs. Very 90's.

Mentioned
    82 Post(s)
    4/5 from the AMG

The revitalized ninth album from the English grunge survivors is their heaviest to date and one of their all-time best.

Mentioned
    12 Post(s)
    It's pretty OK good on first listen. I thought it would be just background music, but there's some strong stuff in there. "1000 Years" is so simple, but I dig it.

Mentioned
    82 Post(s)
    I really enjoyed The Art of Survival and think it's one of the best albums of their career. It sounds modern, but it sounds like Bush, with callbacks from the 90's throughout. It's less than 50 minutes, so there was quality control, and it wasn't stuffed with filler.

If you gave up on Bush, give The Art of Survival a listen. You might be surprised by how good their new album is.
    Last edited by GulDukat; 10-14-2022 at 09:15 AM.

Mentioned
    82 Post(s)
    Bush is on tour next year. Jerry Cantrell opens the first several shows and Candlebox the next batch.

Mentioned
    82 Post(s)
    Just got back from Bush/Candlebox at the MGM Music Hall Fenway in Boston.

Candlebox opened the show and they were really great. I was never a huge fan but they had a lot of memorable songs (especially from the debut), and the newer ones sounded really good.

Bush were awesome. I've seen them a million times and they always are. Usually they play like a legacy act, playing the big hits and a few new ones. Tonight, while they played all the big singles from Sixteen Stone, they seemed to be more focused on the present, playing a healthy dose of songs from The Kingdom (2020) and The Art of Survival (2022). They played "The Chemicals Between Us" from The Science of Things, but I'm not sure if they played anything else from their initial run (1994-2001). Gavin jumped into the crowd and ran right past me, which has happened before, it was cool.

I felt old. Audience looked like the AARP crowd.
    Last edited by GulDukat; 01-23-2024 at 11:37 AM.

Mentioned
    120 Post(s)
    here...feel older: he has a cooking show that will be out in a year or so.

Mentioned
    233 Post(s)
    Just got back from Bush/Candlebox at the MGM Music Hall Fenway in Boston.

Candlebox opened the show and they were really great. I was never a huge fan but they had a lot of memorable songs (especially from the debut), and the newer ones sounded really good.

Bush were awesome. I've seen them a million times and they always are. Usually they play like a legacy act, playing the big hits and a few new ones. Tonight, while they played all the big singles from Sixteen Stone, they seemed to be more focused on the present, playing a healthy dose of songs from The Kingdom (2020) and The Art of Survival (2022). They played "The Chemicals Between Us" from The Science of Things, but I'm not sure if they played anything else from their initial run (1994-2001). Gavin jumped into the crowd and ran right past me, which has happened before, it was cool.

I felt old. Audience looked like the AAPR crowd.
    having just joined for some discounts...

Mentioned
    82 Post(s)
    From the AllMusic Guide:

Loaded: The Greatest Hits 1994-2023 Review by Neil Z. Yeung

4.5/5 Stars

Bush are nothing if not survivors. Back in the 1990s, when critiques of being a Nirvana rip-off clouded a lot of the critical assessment surround the band, they still managed to pump out solid tunes and sell millions of records, adding a handful of stone-cold classics to the '90s rock/grunge canon. At the turn of the millennium, their fortunes shifted quite rapidly, and Gavin Rossdale and company entered into workhorse mode for the next few decades, pumping out reliably rocking output that hardened a dedicated fan base and kept them on the headlining tour circuit well into 2023, when this compilation was released. Finally giving due recognition to that "late"-era (more like "post-peak") part of the catalog -- which at this juncture outnumbered their classic '90s period -- Loaded: The Greatest Hits 1994-2023 plays like a long-overdue celebration of the songs that kept them on the radar, bringing in fans of their early days and locking them in with worthy gems that they may not have heard before. Naturally, most of this collection is packed with the unimpeachable quintet of singles from their debut breakthrough, 1994's Sixteen Stone. The underrated sophomore "slump" Razorblade Suitcase gets the requisite "Swallowed" and the epic "Greedy Fly," the latter being one of their greatest (and heaviest) moments that time forgot. The well-intentioned remix set Deconstructed gets the sleeper hit "Mouth (The Stingray Mix)" (the "Everything Zen" and "Swallowed" versions on the near-identical The Best of '94-'99 do not appear here), while 1999's excellent The Science of Things is represented by "The Chemicals Between Us" and "Letting the Cables Sleep" (the third difference with '94-'99 being the exclusion of this LP's "Warm Machine"). From here, it's a post-Y2K avalanche of songs that make this the most representative Bush hits collection outside of a personalized playlist. Starting with a pair from 2001's Golden State, a criminally overlooked album that was effectively snuffed by unfortunate timing and world events, and one slot each from The Sea of Memories, Man on the Run, Black and White Rainbows, and 2022's resurgent The Art of Survival. Buried in between are a trio of U.S. Top 20 Rock chart hits from 2020's The Kingdom, which, if you're keeping track, is the album with the second-most inclusions after Sixteen Stone. For good measure, Loaded closes with the crunchy throwback sound of the previously unreleased "Nowhere to Go But Everywhere" and a studio cover of the Beatles' "Come Together." Altogether, Loaded makes a strong case for Bush's decades-spanning career and their place in the modern rock pantheon, showcasing the band's staying power and Rossdale's unwavering dedication to his loyal fan base.

Mentioned
    82 Post(s)