Faceplams Faceplams:  0
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: American Gods (TV series)

Mentioned
    34 Post(s)

American Gods (TV series)

The first teaser trailer for what I hope to be an amazing series:

https://www.facebook.com/AmericanGod...0822189095295/

It's very promising! Neil Gaiman's novel gives plenty to explore (I believe he said that the first season will only cover the first third of the book), and this project just jumped to the top of my most awaited list for 2017.

Mentioned
    120 Post(s)
    i didnt love the trailer but i am still going to watch.

Mentioned
    96 Post(s)
    First episode was pretty f--king out there.

Mentioned
    528 Post(s)
    oh, crap, this already started!? my wife and i JUST got the book (and its sequel) so i guess we should get on reading them real quick!

Mentioned
    96 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by eversonpoe View Post
    oh, crap, this already started!? my wife and i JUST got the book (and its sequel) so i guess we should get on reading them real quick!
    It's on the Starz app early, but it premieres tonight.

Mentioned
    22 Post(s)
    it sounds a little out there on paper

Pablo Schreiber as Mad Sweeney, a leprechaun in the employ of Mr. Wednesday who has trouble coming to terms with his lost charm

Mentioned
    96 Post(s)
    Watched a torrent of it this morning. It was....ok. Hands down McShane stole the show, eating up every scene he was in. Otherwise it was unfortunately just ok, but worth watching for his performance alone, I feel it was that good.

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tough book to adapt, first ep is a very good start.

Casting is great so far.

Mentioned
    96 Post(s)
    This show makes me feel like this is what AMC's Preacher wish it could be. I tried to get into Preacher, but it just dragged. Sometimes series can transcend feeling like a TV show. Preacher felt like a TV show. I think American Gods is off to a good start. I was worried with it being on Starz.

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    This is a good video from Neil Gaiman, for people who haven't read the book and don't really know where the story is heading, it's light on spoilers, just a general overview on what the story is about - https://www.facebook.com/neilgaiman/...4472415331016/

It's a good refresher for those who haven't read the book in a long time too (me).
    Last edited by Dream; 05-06-2017 at 07:38 AM.

Mentioned
    120 Post(s)
    I'm in after watching the first episode. Seems like there may a little bit of style over substance at times though. Very entertaining pilot though.

Is that alligator head bar a real place? If so, where??

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Second episode was great, Mr Nancy is perfect.

Mentioned
    120 Post(s)
    Two fantastic monologues from gods in this episode.

Mentioned
    96 Post(s)
    Am I the only one who thinks of Immigrant Song and Fincher's The Girl With The Dragon Tattoo opening credits when I'm watching the American Gods opening credits? Not in a bad way, of course.

Mentioned
    64 Post(s)
    Excellent show. I like that it keeps things under wraps, but not in a frustrating way. I feel just as lost as Shadow Moon throughout the story. I don't know if I want to read the book. I'm sure it will be great, but I want to be surprised. Its visuals are huge and sometimes trippy, but they never feel random. Everything has a deeper meaning. I'm a fan.

Mentioned
    96 Post(s)
    Yeah, think I'm gonna wait to read the book until after. Like Game Of Thrones, I wanted to be surprised.

Mentioned
    41 Post(s)

Mentioned
    64 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by neorev View Post
    Am I the only one who thinks of Immigrant Song and Fincher's The Girl With The Dragon Tattoo opening credits when I'm watching the American Gods opening credits? Not in a bad way, of course.
    You're not the only one. People in the comments of have noted the similarity as well (it didn't even cross my mind). They suspect that the Dragon Tattoo Immigrant Song was used as temp music. The has a different mix and there is even a noisy outro, just like the "explosion" of the Tattoo Immigrant Song. Oh, and the vocalist is none other than Shirley Manson, who also recorded two other songs for the soundtrack.

Mentioned
    73 Post(s)
    I came to this thread specifically to see how many people had mentioned this.

Mentioned
    79 Post(s)
    I've been watching some of it and it's pretty fucking good. Gillian Anderson as David Bowie/Marilyn Monroe is fucking great.

Mentioned
    120 Post(s)
    I get that Sunday night's episode is important and will also matter more as the show progresses, but it was tough having such a standstill right before the finale. Thought that was a very slow episode.

Mentioned
    64 Post(s)
    So. Thoughts on the ending? I thought it was great! Season 2 is going to be universe-shattering.

Mentioned
    82 Post(s)
    I loved it, save for that boring-ass episode about Laura (the fourth one, I believe). Quite excited for the next season.

Mentioned
    96 Post(s)
    I thought it was pretty good. Definitely interested to see where it goes next season. I heard a sequel book is coming out. So I guess Starz will have the option to go further season-wise with the new book.

Mentioned
    64 Post(s)
    I thought it was pretty good. Definitely interested to see where it goes next season. I heard a sequel book is coming out. So I guess Starz will have the option to go further season-wise with the new book.
    Or they could go the Leftovers route, where season 1 was based on the book and the other two were written from scratch with Perrotta on board. Neil Gaiman does have some experience with screenwriting, after all (though it seems he has abandoned writing scripts to focus on novels).

Mentioned
    161 Post(s)
    So I blind bought season 1 on blu-ray today and am looking forward to watching this. I bet I’ll love it.

Mentioned
    528 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Space Suicide View Post
    So I blind bought season 1 on blu-ray today and am looking forward to watching this. I bet I’ll love it.
    it's so good. SO GOOD. i can't wait for season 2.

Mentioned
    120 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Space Suicide View Post
    I doubt you will be disappointed. Binging the show will make some of the slower episodes work much better. This show really surprised me and alot of people with the craft and thought put into it. Shame it's on Starz.

Mentioned
    96 Post(s)
    Uh oh. Amidst disagreements about the show's budget and creative direction, etc. the showrunners are leaving.

Mentioned
    528 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by october_midnight View Post
    Uh oh. Amidst disagreements about the show's budget and creative direction, etc. the showrunners are leaving.