Page 2 of 12 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 ... LastLast

Thread: Stranger Things - AKA the Kate Bush Revival

Mentioned
    251 Post(s)
    Finished it -- it's like classic Stephen King, Silent Hill and Spielberg had a baby and Twin Peaks served as a midwife. Loved every episode and will anxiously await a season 2 confirmation.

Mentioned
    11 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Miss Baphomette View Post
    art direction is sloppy as all hell - they're mixing up late 70s and early 80s props. It's driving me nuts.
    What an odd complaint. Do you throw away everything you own after five years?

Mentioned
    61 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by emptydesk View Post
    What an odd complaint. Do you throw away everything you own after five years?
    Yes. Doesn't everyone? And it's hardly an odd complaint. Some of us actually pay attention to continuity.

And here's a continuity mistake that doesn't involve props:
    The show is set in 1983 yet the River Phoenix-lookalike older brother somehow includes Smiths songs on the tape he made for Will. Smiths first album didn't come out 'til 1984.
    Last edited by Baphomette; 07-25-2016 at 03:39 AM.

Mentioned
    11 Post(s)
    Yes. Doesn't everyone?
    No? I keep things that are built well.

And it's hardly an odd complaint. Some of us actually pay attention to continuity.
    It's not a continuity error that middle class people in 1983 didn't lease a new car every year. That's how life was.

And here's a continuity mistake that doesn't involve props:
    The show is set in 1983 yet the River Phoenix-lookalike older brother somehow includes Smiths songs on the tape he made for Will. Smiths first album didn't come out 'til 1984.
    In the words of MST3K, this is one where you just need to relax.

Mentioned
    33 Post(s)
    Hand in Glove and This Charming Man both came out in 1983. Not that crazy that he would have their singles on a mixtape before the release of their first album.

Mentioned
    61 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by imail724 View Post
    Hand in Glove and This Charming Man both came out in 1983. Not that crazy that he would have their singles on a mixtape before the release of their first album.
    Riiiiiiiight. Because British imports were readily available in rural Indiana in 1983. (Hand in Glove in particular due to the artwork.) And TCM came out 10.28.83. The show starts 11.06.83. The scene where Will's brother gives him the mixtape is a flashback so either the older brother had great record company connections that FedExed him a vinyl promo or it's sloppy continuity.

I get it - when you love a show, you don't want it criticized. However, if you're doing a period show, get shit straight. And again, my example isn't even a prop/wardrobe related one. I could list those but it would be tl;dr. I'm all for suspension of disbelief (because, you know, monsters/aliens) but I just can't do it with accuracy.
    Last edited by Baphomette; 07-25-2016 at 03:58 PM.

Mentioned
    33 Post(s)

Mentioned
    11 Post(s)
    The Smiths thing is worth exactly one second's snarky notation, to prove to others that you're aware of it. The show isn't striving for historical accuracy so much as it strives for a general vibe, and within that why care if they blur a six month timeframe together?

It isn't Mad Men, which had plenty of anachronisms of its own. It's a pastiche.

Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Yeah, I'm willing to accept that they're listening to an import that has been available overseas only for like a week. That's not going to bring me out of the show, especially one this good. If the brother gave him a mixtape featuring Head Like a Hole, it'd be a little distracting.

Mentioned
    11 Post(s)
    Or that he taped it off the radio. I taped tons of shit off the radio up until the early 1990s.

Mentioned
    61 Post(s)
    The show isn't striving for historical accuracy so much as it strives for a general vibe
    Accuracy < general vibe. Got it. Thank you for finally acknowledging the continuity screw-ups.

Mentioned
    11 Post(s)
    Accuracy < general vibe. Got it. Thank you for finally acknowledging the continuity screw-ups.
    My point is that I reject the presupposition that this is a story where historical accuracy has weight in the narrative.

Mentioned
    61 Post(s)
    My point is that I reject the presupposition that this is a story where historical accuracy has weight in the narrative.

Mentioned
    11 Post(s)
    You're saying that it's pretentious to not care about historical accuracy in a TV show?

What you're describing are anachronisms, not continuity issues. Although I'm sure Stranger Things has both, since it was created by humans.

Mentioned
    61 Post(s)
    You're saying that it's pretentious to not care about historical accuracy in a TV show?

What you're describing are anachronisms, not continuity issues.
    I'm saying you remind me of Eli Cash.

I was going for a general vibe with my use of the word continuity rather than accuracy.

Mentioned
    23 Post(s)
    I just finished watching the last episode.
    Excellent show, music, cinematography, atmosphere, acting, little to no filler, just all around pure awesomeness.
    I need an official soundtrack/score like right now!
    I can hardly believe that we have to wait a whole year for the next season.

Mentioned
    528 Post(s)
    my wife and i watched the second half of the episodes all in a row last night haha
    binge-watching is both amazing and awful, but seriously, it was SO GOOD that we couldn't stop

some things i noticed that made me really appreciate the show (spoiler tagging just in case)
    Spoiler: 1. the kids and the adults worked together, and trusted each other. i have never seen that happen in a film or show like this, and it was so refreshing.
    2. because everyone looked like real people (and not like big hollywood stars), it made it feel more real, which made the terrifying aspects all that more terrifying.
    3. millie bobby brown should win all the awards. she was absolutely incredible.

they've announced that they're releasing the soundtrack, but no word yet on whether that includes the score, or if that will be a separate release.

Mentioned
    96 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by eversonpoe View Post
    they've announced that they're releasing the soundtrack, but no word yet on whether that includes the score, or if that will be a separate release.
    I want the score so bad. They really should do limited edition vinyl and cassette.

I know the guy who runs Post/Pop, a label that releases special edition cassette tapes. They did one for The Prodigy. Besides their own signed bands, they sometimes work with major artists for special releases. I told him about the show and how he should try and release the score on tape.
    Last edited by neorev; 07-27-2016 at 05:27 PM.

Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Kinda binging on this show at the moment, not bad is all i got, definately got the 80's vibe down well though. Was i the only one that was wincing every time the millennium falcon was dropped on the floor? Anyway, i want that evil dead and the thing poster!! One episode left, hope it delivers..

Mentioned
    96 Post(s)
    S U R V I V E is sooo good, their new album RR7349 drops at the end of September.

Mentioned
    528 Post(s)
    my wife and i watched the second half of the episodes all in a row last night haha
    binge-watching is both amazing and awful, but seriously, it was SO GOOD that we couldn't stop

some things i noticed that made me really appreciate the show (spoiler tagging just in case)
    Spoiler: 1. the kids and the adults worked together, and trusted each other. i have never seen that happen in a film or show like this, and it was so refreshing.
    2. because everyone looked like real people (and not like big hollywood stars), it made it feel more real, which made the terrifying aspects all that more terrifying.
    3. millie bobby brown should win all the awards. she was absolutely incredible.

oh, another thing that i loved (and another trope subversion, like my #1 point above)
    Spoiler: steve going from being the popular, semi-douchey guy to an all-out ASSHOLE, and then coming back around COMPLETELY OF HIS OWN VOLITION to make peace with jonathan, to then step up and help save the fucking day even though he has no idea what's happening was FANTASTIC. and i also liked that nancy went back to him and didn't end up with jonathan because, as much as i love jonathan, him FREAKING OUT and beating the shit out of steve was pretty fucked up. most 80s things (and honestly, most media) are like "oh, that's so romantic!" so i'm glad that, with this show, they were able to show that yeah, jonathan loves nancy and would clearly go apeshit for her...but that's not necessarily a good thing.

Mentioned
    96 Post(s)
    Stranger Things' Facebook page likes have been rising fast, over 600K in two weeks and still climbing. I've been looking up other Netflix shows' Facebook pages and Orange Is The New Black is their most liked show with 6.7 million likes, followed by House Of Cards with over 2.5 million, with Narcos just behind, and Daredevil just slightly behind that. Sense8 is almost at a million. Hemlock Grove was one of their first show that was around for 3 seasons and they're barely over 400K. Bloodline was renewed for its third season and it's only just over 150K. So it looks like Stranger Things could get up there and hit a million when it reaches a month. I wonder how much it will rise with a second season.

Mentioned
    53 Post(s)
    Winona Ryder is incredibly fucking annoying in this show. I mean, it's because she played the part well... but the part was pretty awful for most of the season. If I ever watch this season again, I will be skipping through her parts until the back half of the season. Eugh.

Mentioned
    10 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by neorev View Post
    Stranger Things' Facebook page likes have been rising fast, over 600K in two weeks and still climbing. I've been looking up other Netflix shows' Facebook pages and Orange Is The New Black is their most liked show with 6.7 million likes, followed by House Of Cards with over 2.5 million, with Narcos just behind, and Daredevil just slightly behind that. Sense8 is almost at a million. Hemlock Grove was one of their first show that was around for 3 seasons and they're barely over 400K. Bloodline was renewed for its third season and it's only just over 150K. So it looks like Stranger Things could get up there and hit a million when it reaches a month. I wonder how much it will rise with a second season.
    I enjoy OITNB and the Marvel Universe shows a lot but I'd happily have those skip a year or so if it meant more Stranger Things (and Sense8!) sooner.

Mentioned
    528 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by seasonsinthesky View Post
    Winona Ryder is incredibly fucking annoying in this show. I mean, it's because she played the part well... but the part was pretty awful for most of the season. If I ever watch this season again, I will be skipping through her parts until the back half of the season. Eugh.
    dude, i love you, but no. she's not annoying, she's fantastic. she's playing the part of a grieving but hopeful mother who KNOWS what she thinks is insane but still 100% believes it despite (for most of the season) no one else believing her. it's fine if you found it hard to watch (which it should be) but annoying is a bit of a weird complaint.

also, all the kids from the show have instagram accounts and they're all adorable and hilarious, especially dustin.

oh, and this buzzfeed article is great: https://www.buzzfeed.com/robinedds/s...ffb#.xlo2PMXkk

Mentioned
    251 Post(s)
    this buzzfeed article is great
    What a strange sentence

More OT: I love Winona and thought she was excellent for the role but Spoiler: I do hope her character is given more of a confident space to exist in if there's another season. She's been through some shit and knows it now. It'd be great to see her go from the terrified and uncertain character she's been to a confident and hardcore, Ripley-in-Aliens style lead.

Mentioned
    528 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by kleiner352 View Post
    What a strange sentence

More OT: I love Winona and thought she was excellent for the role but Spoiler: I do hope her character is given more of a confident space to exist in if there's another season. She's been through some shit and knows it now. It'd be great to see her go from the terrified and uncertain character she's been to a confident and hardcore, Ripley-in-Aliens style lead.
    i'm hoping the exact same thing. it would be a natural and (mostly) trope-breaking character arc, so even more points to the show if they do it.

Mentioned
    53 Post(s)
    dude, i love you, but no. she's not annoying, she's fantastic. she's playing the part of a grieving but hopeful mother who KNOWS what she thinks is insane but still 100% believes it despite (for most of the season) no one else believing her. it's fine if you found it hard to watch (which it should be) but annoying is a bit of a weird complaint.
    Yeah, no. You described exactly what I already said: she had a rough character to play and did it really well, but there's nothing good about including her so often besides the obvious realism factor – and the fact that she's the only real 'name' in the series. The Joyce character has zero reason to be so focal for the story to progress, and when she is in scenes where other characters are the ones progressing or solving situations (so, every scene she's in with Hopper in the last few episodes), she actively makes the scenes worse by being the stereotype of hysteria. Yes, it is a trope in horror films and the '80s era, but that was not required for the series to be good. Furthermore, I'm aware not every second has to progress anything, and some scenes exist for character development or analysis alone – too bad she did not develop whatsoever and every analytical moment of Joyce shows the exact same thing ("ohgodohgodohgod"). She was fine for the opening few episodes but her character moved through the stages of grief and undoing them and redoing them for what? So Winona has lots of screentime. That's it. Joyce had zero payoff as a character. The reason you and kleiner want her to become Ripley is because the character went nowhere and you would like to see that change.

Mentioned
    251 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by seasonsinthesky View Post
    The reason you and kleiner want her to become Ripley is because the character went nowhere and you would like to see that change.
    I was entirely fine with her for that story specifically but just wouldn't want it to remain that way going ahead because it wouldn't make any sense. She was an anxious, stressed single mom going through one of the most traumatic things any parent could ever confront and dealing with things that would make almost anyone check themselves into the nearest in-patient facility. It made sense she was how she was. Now that she's come out the other side of that, it would be disingenuous for her to remain that way and static.

You could better argue that they should have gotten her mid-season where she'll likely be next season, but, eh, it wasn't like her character was the central focus of the series and when you're juggling, what, at some points five different narratives? I can accept that some aren't going to develop half as fast as others. She wasn't the standout for me at all but she wasn't anything I disliked by any means (as far as I'm concerned, Eleven and Co. are some of the most impressive performances I've seen in TV in a good long while and I find it hard to really care at all about any of the other actors because they were just that surprisingly good, and it was, in general, a very well-rounded cast to begin with).

Mentioned
    96 Post(s)
    I had no problem with Winona Ryder, she played the part of a distressed mom in a world surrounded by folks who thinks she's crazy perfectly. I feel this show was more about the kids anyway. So it did not bother me at all. Plus I felt like she did start to grow some balls and stand up. After what she witnessed, she went back in that house instead of running away. She followed through to the end. We'll see where she is at second season.