Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Thread: Juno (2016)

Mentioned
    11 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by howdidislipinto View Post
    It's a 99¢ DRM free download. If you want to steal it, steal it, but your excuse sounds dumb. iTunes Match/Apple Music and any of its supposed library glitches (which MAYBE happened to one person?) are separate services and have nothing to do with supporting an artist by buying their song.
    I don't want to steal it...I have thousands of dollars of Reznor's various stuff. I buy directly from their store whenever possible and I've bought countless shirts, posters and various other things at the many live shows I've attended.

iTunes and Apple products are not for everyone. Exclusives are and will forever be dumb.

I have also not yet listened to or downloaded this track, but would gladly throw them $1 if they put it in their store.

I fail to see how and where I made an excuse. I'm certainly entitled to my opinion of iTunes and not wanting to install bloated, slow, potentially (sorry to confuse you by leaving that word out, apparently it offended you or turned you into a troll) local music library altering software that has dubious terms of service.

So... Try again...
    Last edited by kargath; 06-30-2016 at 11:06 PM.

Joined (old ETS): 01 Sep 2004 -- Sydney, Australia
    Mentioned
    282 Post(s)
    I was reminded of that shrill, bone-tingling scream you hear at the beginning of Kubrick's The Shining about halfway through it. Very creepy.

Mentioned
    28 Post(s)
    The Facebook headlines had me thinking it was the first single from a new NIN album until I read the articles. Pitchfork said something like, "new music from Trent Reznor ahead of forthcoming NIN LP". Sounds like what we would expect from a TR & AR soundtrack. Which is fantastic, but yeah, trying to get over the excitement of new NIN.

Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Here's a little music video I made using the footage from the short film.

Mentioned
    69 Post(s)
    I hate everything about l'appoule especially Iphoune, Ipoud, and Itounes. But I do pay for Trent's service and even paid for that track. I could give a thousand reasons for that, but do you remember Sony Connect ? That crappy awful service, that was including Nin exclusives ! Probably the most notorious only attemp to recreate the whole awful L'appoule closed system idea... Well at least l'appoule is drm free, not like sony connect.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    woohoo! Cool little movie too

Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Yeah, it's not a bad tune. It serves a purpose, and anything to do with space is super cool in my book. I had assumed this was part of a full album, but actually it seems maybe it isn't.
    I was getting really grumpy about the track only appearing on iTunes, but I'm guessing it may turn up elsewhere eventually. If not I'll be able to find it somewhere I'm sure. I don't want to get into a big rant about Apple, but on top of the exclusive thing that film is a bit cringey to me. Like hey, we're all just chilled out groovy artists hanging out and being arty and so happy that Apple is in their lives making everything amazing, a bit like space does. Ick. I know it's business and all that - just don't pretend it isn't.

Mentioned
    11 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by howdidislipinto View Post
    Anyway, like I said, I have no issue with people stealing it -- I bought it but I'm about to share it with a handful of friends that I know will enjoy it but probably wouldn't buy it otherwise. Just always find the rambling piracy defenses people go on annoying, especially when not even based in reality like that dude's. However you want the track, it's easy to find.
    I read this as "It's okay if I give it to people who wouldn't buy it..but only if they're cool with iTunes." I'm not jumping to conclusions, am I?

Anyways... No worries... I have a (potential) solution that fits your bipolar stance on ip theft and apple software (see attached pic).

How bout I send you $1 on paypal. Then you can turn around and pay an additional dollar with a new iTunes account.... since apparently that's no big deal and super convenient... and after all that, you can email me the DRM free file feeling warm and fuzzy knowing that this truly is me not wanting anything to do with iTunes and nothing else... and I'll get the benefit of purchasing/listening to it without having to deal with the software, new account, and allowing them to sew me into a human centiPad (sorry.. allegedly... South Park may have exaggerated that one).

Just keep in mind that if you take the dollar and send me the file without purchasing it again that you'd become the true d-bag by getting paid for someone else's work.

What do you say? Want to bury the hatchet and be friends? Can't we all just get along? Doesn't that make you feel better?
    Last edited by kargath; 07-01-2016 at 07:48 AM.

Mentioned
    251 Post(s)
    @kargath Deep breaths and may I suggest a Chill pill 💊

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Is this offered in lossless anywhere? Because I don't feel good paying for lossy formats

Mentioned
    24 Post(s)
    It's not offered anywhere else for the time being, and I'm not really sure that it ever will. Maybe it'll pop up on other services eventually. At least throw it on nin.com or something. Especially after the whole Youtube thing from last week.

Mentioned
    28 Post(s)
    Apparently weezer released a track based on juno, too. Very interesting

Mentioned
    96 Post(s)
    Shame an artist like Trent Reznor who seems to be about experiencing his work in the best possible quality would support shitty lossy iTunes compression for his exclusives. Apple is an evil company and the death of music. And no, that is not some exaggeration. Supporting Apple is supporting the death of music.

And now Apple is looking into purchasing Tidal streaming service. Probably turn it into shit as well.

Mentioned
    24 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by xfocalinx View Post
    Apparently weezer released a track based on juno, too. Very interesting
    "Based on Juno" is incredibly generous. The song's called "I Love the U.S.A." and it's about what you'd expect from that title. I don't think they relate it to the probe at all.

Mentioned
    11 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by botley View Post
    @kargath Deep breaths and may I suggest a Chill pill 💊
    Yea...you're right. Apologies all around for derailing the thread. I should have just let it drop.

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Have I got this right? My wife has iTunes, but not Apple Music. When I open up iTunes, I can see the song, but does she need an Apple music subscription to actually buy it? I'm happy to pay the dollar for the digital file, but not an Apple music subscription, just so I can get the best sounding version available.

Mentioned
    50 Post(s)
    No. She buys it like she buys any song on iTunes.

Mentioned
    9 Post(s)

Mentioned
    49 Post(s)
    Hopefully this gets a limited vinyl pressing or something.

Also, if somebody wants to buy a copy of the digital file on my behalf, ill gladly paypal them a dollar too. Lol @kargath , I was already thinking about this too.

Mentioned
    28 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Final Destiny View Post
    "Based on Juno" is incredibly generous. The song's called "I Love the U.S.A." and it's about what you'd expect from that title. I don't think they relate it to the probe at all.

Word. I haven't heard it. My buddy shot me a message while i was out

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by icklekitty View Post
    No. She buys it like she buys any song on iTunes.
    Finally figured it out! Reminded me why I hate iTunes so much, as it was far from straightforward! Thanks.

Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by simonn View Post
    Finally figured it out! Reminded me why I hate iTunes so much, as it was far from straightforward! Thanks.
    No shit. What a giant pain in the ass just to spend £0.79. Install iTunes. Shout at the computer for 45 minutes. Download song. Uninstall iTunes. Aaaah, Juno. Bliss .

Mentioned
    45 Post(s)
    80+ posts and almost all of them are winging about iTunes. Great

I found this a really interesting track. The comparison with Eno is very apt.

Quote Originally Posted by Reznor2112 View Post
    Trent following in one of his idol's footsteps

See Apollo: Atmospheres and Soundtracks by eno
    Which way around are you saying the idolatry goes? Is Eno on record as liking Reznor? Or vice versa?

Mentioned
    8 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by jmtd View Post
    80+ posts and almost all of them are winging about iTunes. Great
    This month's deep space exploration brought to you by Apple! We are approaching the Fight Club version of the future and sadly Trent's complicit. Putting out a song "in honor" of a public works endeavor, and then trying to make money off it (or use it to promote a particular for-profit platform) is in extremely bad taste.

I paid for it because I am lazy. And I like the song. But in terms of trying to make people give Apple money for this, Trent can go fuck himself on this one.

Mentioned
    45 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by HurtinMinorKey View Post
    This month's deep space exploration brought to you by Apple! We are approaching the Fight Club version of the future and sadly Trent's complicit. Putting out a song "in honor" of a public works endeavor, and then trying to make money off it (or use it to promote a particular for-profit platform) is in extremely bad taste.

I paid for it because I am lazy. And I like the song. But in terms of trying to make people give Apple money for this, Trent can go fuck himself on this one.
    I can hardy believe we are having this conversation. But here goes. At 99p for one song with pretty much zero promotion , do you think he's making money, or recouping costs?

Mentioned
    11 Post(s)
    I can hardy believe we are having this conversation. But here goes. At 99p for one song with pretty much zero promotion , do you think he's making money, or recouping costs?
    Pretty sure no one really cares or is complaining about spending the $1 for the content....

If you could buy it through a web interface and download it from there...I'd be all over it. I own no apple hardware and don't have any desire to install the software or create a new account just for a single purchase.

Mentioned
    8 Post(s)
    If TR was doing this as an independent artist, and he was merely recouping costs, I might think differently of the situation. It's the whole doing it in support of Apple aspect that irks me. And maybe I'm being ignorant. Perhaps getting corporate money into space travel is the best and logical way to boost space exploration, but it just smells bad to me.

It's like I realized the future was ending up like Starship Troopers instead of Star Trek.

I hope that makes sense.

Mentioned
    24 Post(s)
    They're not getting the money from the government. Put a fucking McDonald's logo on it if it gets out there, I don't give a shit.

Mentioned
    732 Post(s)
    i'm sort of stunned by all the branding, by this man who recorded my favorite album in secret to avoid corporate assholes, an album i fell in love with 24 years ago (fucksake i'm old)

But i love the song. We listened to it on youtube from our tv with surround sound. It was beautiful. I will do it again.

I am not giving anyone one dollar.

Mentioned
    49 Post(s)
    I don't think he sees apple in the same way as others do and he has always been about how tech geeks are just as much artists as artists (when he did the stuff for Id software) and it could have been a career for him.

I mean if the apple people start telling artists what music they should be making then the two would be comparable. But it's just the delivery system
    Last edited by WorzelG; 07-05-2016 at 01:29 AM.