Faceplams Faceplams:  0

Thread: The Claypool Lennon Delirium [New side project from Sean Lennon and Les Claypool]

Mentioned
    28 Post(s)

The Claypool Lennon Delirium [New side project from Sean Lennon and Les Claypool]

Press release from the website:

Two worlds have collided, and what glorious and odd worlds they are. After a successful summer tour, pairing Primus with Ghost of a Saber Tooth Tiger, the two bandleaders, Les Claypool and Sean Lennon, have decided to combine their abstract talents into a project called The Claypool Lennon Delirium. Their efforts thus far have spawned the upcoming, full-length release called “Monolith of Phobos.”

“Sean is a musical mutant after my own heart,” said Claypool. “He definitely reflects his genetics--not just the sensibilities of his dad but also the abstract perspective and unique approach of his mother. It makes for a glorious freak stew.” After some impromptu, backstage jams and an epic live sit-in on Primus’s psychedelic opus, “Southbound Pachyderm,” Claypool approached Lennon about doing a recording project. “I was trying to wrangle up an Oysterhead reunion since Primus was taking a rest for 2016 but the planets just wouldn’t align for that,” said Claypool. “I don’t like sitting around, so when Sean said he didn’t have plans for this next year, we started kicking around the notion of making an old-school, psychedelic/prog record. Next thing I know, he’s staying in my guesthouse, drinking my vino and banging on my drums.”

Lennon responded, “I told Les that I was Neil Diamond’s nephew. I think that is what really sold him on the idea of working with me.”

Over the course of six weeks or so, the two wrote and recorded a total of ten songs with both of them sharing various vocal and instrumental responsibilities, going beyond their core instruments of bass and guitar. Claypool explained, “Usually I play the drums and percussion on my records but Sean has such a different feel than I do, it just made more sense for him to man the kit on most of the tunes on this project. I took the helm at my old vintage API console and let him bang away. He was happy as a piggy rolling in shit every time he grabbed the sticks…his drumming is like a cross between Ringo and Nick Mason. But I think folks will be most surprised by what a monster guitar player he is, especially when you prod him a bit.”

“Monolith of Phobos” is just how the title implies--an old-school approach to a psychedelic space rock record.

Lennon added, “It’s been an honor and a challenge playing with someone of Les’ caliber, but luckily the Gods of Pinot Noir shone favorably down and granted us a bundle of devilish tunes about monkeys, outer space and sexual deviancy.”

06-04 Orlando, FL - The Beacham
    06-05 Tampa, FL - The Ritz
    06-07 Athens, GA - Georgia Theatre
    06-09 Wilmington, NC - Greenfield Lake Amphitheatre
    06-10 Asheville, NC - Orange Peel
    06-11 Manchester, TN - Bonnaroo
    06-12 St. Louis, MO - The Pageant
    06-14 Kansas City, MO - Crossroads
    06-15 Minneapolis, MN - Skyway Theatre
    06-17 Garrettsville, OH - Nelson Ledges Quarry Park
    06-18 Port Chester, NY - Capitol Theatre
    07-21 Seattle, WA - The Showbox SoDo
    07-22 Jacksonville, OR - Britt Pavilion
    07-23 Portland, OR - Roseland Ballroom
    07-25 Jackson Hole, WY - Pink Garter Theatre
    07-26 Missoula, MT - Wilma Theatre
    07-27 Salt Lake City, UT - The Depot
    07-29 Los Angeles, CA - Fonda Theatre
    07-30 Tempe, AZ - Marquee Theatre
    07-31 Las Vegas, NV - Brooklyn Bowl
    08-02 Santa Ana, CA - The Observatory
    08-03 San Diego, CA - Observatory North Park
    08-04 San Luis Obispo, CA - Fremont Theatre
    08-05-07 Buena Vista, CO - Vertex Festival
    08-09 Iowa City, IA - Englert Theatre
    08-11 Detroit, MI - Majestic Theatre
    08-12 Columbus, OH - Express Live! Indoor Pavilion
    08-13 Scranton, PA - Peach Fest
    08-26 Boston, MA - HOB Boston
    08-27 New Haven, CT - College Street Music Hall
    08-28 Portland, ME - State Theatre
    08-30 New York, NY - Irving Plaza
    08-31 Philadelphia, PA - The Fillmore
    09-01 Washington, D.C. - 9:30 Club

Anyway, I just got done listening to the album and it's really cool. It's streaming on all the usual services or you can buy the digital download or CD.

I've never listened to any of Sean Lennon's music but this really does sound like a rad modern spacey prog rock album with a ton of Claypool mixed in. His bass tone and voice are obviously unmistakable so if you're a fan of his, I think you'll dig this. I also haven't listened to any of Les' numerous side-projects outside of Primus but I checked this out on a whim and it makes me think maybe I should look into him some more lol. It's too bad they're not touring where I live, because this seems like it would translate pretty well live.

Anyway, check it out.

Mentioned
    10 Post(s)
    I saw Sean's band play at Coachella last year. They were quite good, and he rips on guitar.

Mentioned
    33 Post(s)
    I love this album so much. Haven't put it down since it leaked a week or two ago. FYI, there's an all-encompassing Claypool thread here.

Mentioned
    84 Post(s)
    only heard a couple of tracks but this seems to be one of the better projects he is involved with. actually this could amount to one of my top-favorite Primus/Clapyool outings.

If you ever wanted to know what the psychedelix side of the Beatles sounds like with Claypool on bass, then get this one!

Mentioned
    33 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by dlb View Post
    only heard a couple of tracks but this seems to be one of the better projects he is involved with. actually this could amount to one of my top-favorite Primus/Clapyool outings.

If you ever wanted to know what the psychedelix side of the Beatles sounds like with Claypool on bass, then get this one!
    I agree. After playing the album a ton of times, I decided to go back and give Oysterhead another spin for the first time in a few years. This blows that album away, it's not even close.

Mentioned
    84 Post(s)
    well, it is really really close to that more dreamy Primus sound they developed in later outings. Take away a little of that punching guitar, make it a bit more gloomy and add Lennon's voice. There you have it!

gave the album a couple of spins yesterday and yes, I stand by my comment. It truly is one of my favorite Claypool releases by far. Can't believe it's already 5 years sind "green naugahyde"... I don't count the Chocolate Factory as true Primus although it's quite enjoyable.

Mentioned
    33 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by dlb View Post
    I don't count the Chocolate Factory as true Primus although it's quite enjoyable.
    I agree. I'm praying they put out at least one more album of original material with Tim back on drums.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    I saw the live show when they came by and it was wonderful. The album material was great and they played some Beatles songs and Primus material as well. After the show my friends stopped by the tour bus while I went to get Waffle House next door. From what they told me Sean was so nice to the fans. Les was a little rude and told everyone, "Shouldn't you be asleep by now?!" and just went on the tour bus without talking to fans, which I thought was a little weird. Must have had some tour fatigue or just wasn't happy with the show for some reason?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    New album is coming out and they released a new music video:

Mentioned
    33 Post(s)