Faceplams Faceplams:  0

Thread: AMC'S Preacher T.V. Series

Mentioned
    23 Post(s)

AMC'S Preacher T.V. Series

Preacher is a well known and highly regarded comic series created by Garth Ennis.

The story is about a small town preacher named Jesse Custer (played by Dominic Cooper) who is on a mission to find God after being possessed by a supernatural creature named Genesis. I don't know how well into the set-up and backstory of Jesse the show is going into hence the spoiler tag.Spoiler: Genesis is an infant product of the unauthorized, unnatural coupling of an angel and a demon.

Premiers tonight at 10/9 central.

The first four minutes of the show:

I've been waiting for this show for ages since they first announced a movie years ago and scrapped it for a T.V. Series that also took forever to be made.
    It features an amazing cast and production team. I hope this series is close to the source material that a tv show can have since many of the themes and content is really graphic.

Mentioned
    120 Post(s)
    didn't watch yet. I trust the opinion of most on this board pretty highly though. Considering I'm a big fan of the comic (but don't remember alot of it...haven't re-read it in forever), will I like it despite the changes they have supposedly made?

Mentioned
    23 Post(s)
    It's hard for me to explain without going into spoiler territory and being unbiased (I really loved the first episode) but ultimately it's really up to the viewer to decide if they are going to like the show whether or not they have read the comics.
    If you’re not sure the show is for you give the first episode a chance to see what it's like.

They did a good job for those that have not read the comics by establishing some of the major characters. I believe for those who have not read a single comic that the show was set up perfectly. The show leaves a bit of intrigue and mystery to what is going on as well as to let people anticipate what is going to happen next.

With a story that's so expansive and where anything can happen from out of nowhere, they said that it will take time but eventually they will introduce every character, their arcs, and main story events, from the source material that was in the comics into the T.V. series. From seeing the first episode I got the impression that they will deliver on that promise.

The changes they made, made sense and I enjoyed it so far.

Lightly spoilerish:

One big change they made from the comic was the setting and where in the timeline they introduce Jesse Custers' story.
    Instead of starting where the comic takes place they start a bit before and manage to introduce Tulip and Cassidy in the show differently than the comic. (some may love it some may hate it)

The changes for the setting make more sense since instead of moving along with the characters, nomad style like in the comics, they rooted down Jesse's character to Annville, Texas to allow the character’s story arcs to grow naturally.
    Otherwise it would be extremely hard for the audience to make sense of what is going on and not be able to keep up with the story since the comic begins going back and forth with flashbacks and moving from one location to the next.
    Honestly now that I think about it, the show is well paced.

And A huge spoiler:
    Spoiler: I can't believe they actually went there with Tom Cruise and they actually showed a much prettier arseface than the comics (which I wonder what would be the general reaction upon first seeing that character’s face).

Mentioned
    105 Post(s)
    Digging it so far. I was dying over this scene: https://67.media.tumblr.com/832d65fe...yo1_r1_500.gif

Mentioned
    33 Post(s)
    I'm sold after the first episode. Everything about it was great, hope it keeps up this pace for the the full run.

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    I've only read the first couple of volumes of Preacher a long time ago, loved the pilot.

Mentioned
    96 Post(s)
    I don't really know much about the comics, but I'm digging the show so far.

Mentioned
    169 Post(s)
    They had me at Dominic Cooper.

I'm really digging it too. It's funny, gory and insane. And I'm in love with Tulip.

I've never read the comics but I'll get to it eventually.

Mentioned
    13 Post(s)
    I thought the pilot was pretty good, but as a non-comic reader, it didn't grip me as much as it probably should because I don't really know where all these different storylines are going. Its very intriguing and well-done, though, so I'll stick around to see where this all leads. Seth friggin' Rogan co-directed this. Dude has some chops.

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Episode 2 delivered.

Mentioned
    120 Post(s)
    re-watching pilot now, and then on to episodes 2 & 3.

Mentioned
    22 Post(s)
    Is it just me or is this show moving way too slowly?

Mentioned
    120 Post(s)
    If they don't get to the road trip aspect of the show in season 2, they're fucking with the basic story structure TOO much. I'm okay with it for now, but my patience is growing thin.

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    I like the slow pace, they're developing the characters.

Mentioned
    233 Post(s)
    Started the show last weekend and it's not bad. It's been a good long while since I've read the first book but I have the basic beats remembered, though I have to say at this point it's only very basic beats because I don't remember a lot of this.

Rudy's intro on the airplane was hilarious because it was a pretty straight-forward show up to that and they were both watching the scene with their jaws open. I was laughing at them more than I was what was on-screen.

Mentioned
    169 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by allegate View Post
    Started the show last weekend and it's not bad. It's been a good long while since I've read the first book but I have the basic beats remembered, though I have to say at this point it's only very basic beats because I don't remember a lot of this.

Rudy's intro on the airplane was hilarious because it was a pretty straight-forward show up to that and they were both watching the scene with their jaws open. I was laughing at them more than I was what was on-screen.
    Do you mean Cassidy? Because Cass was introduced on an airplane full of vampire hunters. Poor darling Cass.

Stick with it. I watched all 4 seasons and it's one of the funniest, goriest, maddest series I've ever seen. God I miss Humperdoo!

Mentioned
    35 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by marodi View Post
    Do you mean Cassidy?
    Guessing he does. The actor played a character named Rudy on a British show called Misfits.

Mentioned
    169 Post(s)
    Thanks! I should look for that. I love Joe Gilgun!

Mentioned
    233 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by marodi View Post
    Do you mean Cassidy? Because Cass was introduced on an airplane full of vampire hunters. Poor darling Cass.

Stick with it. I watched all 4 seasons and it's one of the funniest, goriest, maddest series I've ever seen. God I miss Humperdoo!
    Quote Originally Posted by otnavuskire View Post
    Guessing he does. The actor played a character named Rudy on a British show called Misfits.
    got it in one. Misfits is also on Hulu and that's how I found Preacher. I first saw him in Misfits way back when so he looks like a Rudy to me still.

That said he's brought in to replace a 'beloved' character on that show and if you were watching it live people were so up in arms over the change. This many years later? Eh.
    Last edited by allegate; 03-08-2021 at 09:29 PM.

Mentioned
    120 Post(s)
    You're not crazy...you're not remembering alot of what is happening early in the series b/c it diverts heavily from the comic in terms of pacing etc. The show had to keep the main characters from embarking on the big road trip all over the place for a while b/c of budget restrictions.

Mentioned
    233 Post(s)
    Almost done with season two. I think they could have culled two episodes or combined a couple into one because it feels so much slower.

"Because I am Adolf fucking Hitler!" was pretty good though.