Faceplams Faceplams:  0

Thread: The 1975

Mentioned
    8 Post(s)

The 1975

Didn't see a thread for these guys anywhere and they have just put out an incredible new album. They started as a bit of a guilty pleasure of mine but after seeing them live twice and checking out their discography I was hooked.

Really good alternative/pop band from over here in the UK, big on production and 80's pop influences. Their first album and the EP's released around the time are excellent and the new album is a sprawling 17 track CD that I'm working my way through at the moment.

Any more fans of these guys in here?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Loving their new album, although the sprawling 17 tracks left me dazed at first..

Hope to see them live, but they seem to keep skipping the midwest places I usually hit up for shows (Nashville, Indy, Louisville, St. Louis, Cincinnati)...

Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Thank you for starting this thread! I got into these guys when I heard Chocolate on the radio back in 2013 and I bought their debut when it came out (same day as Hesitation Marks so it stayed on the back burner for two weeks) and it quickly became a favorite of mine. But 'I Like It When You Sleep' blows it out of the water. This album is fantastic and I can't stop listening to it. I can't even pick a favorite track because they're all amazing. Definitely seeing these guys live sometime soon. I love this album! If you're on the fence about getting it, do not hesitate. Seventeen tracks of great music.

Mentioned
    9 Post(s)
    I like their music, but their live performance takes me almost completely out of it. Way too self-conscious and posey. Less mugging, more rock and roll please.

Mentioned
    8 Post(s)
    I managed to see them twice, once in ibiza at ibiza rocks which was a really good gig, and again last November at Manchester Academy which was a special show because they sold out instantly because it was such a small venue and could have easily sold out a bigger venue, they just did smaller ones for the fans.

They did a load of new stuff, all the hits and god damn they dug deep for some EP cuts which were my highlights.

Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Great news for these guys, they deserve all the praise they've been getting for the new album. They were Number One in the UK as well.

http://www.billboard.com/articles/co...-billboard-200
    Last edited by mrselfdestruct94; 03-06-2016 at 08:15 PM.

Mentioned
    22 Post(s)

The 1975

I first caught wind of this band through their SNL performances of " " and " " off their last record, and I was strangely captivated. I played the crap out of that whole thing in the last year or more, and still today they're my latest "rise above it" music source. The feeling cannot be shaken.

...and then there's this beautiful, soft gem...

Last edited by Amaro; 02-16-2018 at 05:01 PM.

Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    New single called Give Yourself a Try from the new album A Brief Inquiry Into Online Relationships coming out October 2018, and apparently it's going to be a double album with the second installment coming out May 2019.

I'm not a big fan of this new song. I enjoy the lyrics and it's catchy, but the music is very repetitive and I feel like it goes nowhere. That said, their previous album was fantastic and I still frequently listen to it, and their debut is solid as well. I'll definitely check out the new albums when they're released.

Mentioned
    22 Post(s)
    (Damn, I started a thread for these boys earlier this year, must not have looked hard enough to find this thread...)

Quote Originally Posted by mrselfdestruct94 View Post
    New single called Give Yourself a Try from the new album A Brief Inquiry Into Online Relationships coming out October 2018, and apparently it's going to be a double album with the second installment coming out May 2019.

I'm not a big fan of this new song. I enjoy the lyrics and it's catchy, but the music is very repetitive and I feel like it goes nowhere.
    I hear you @ repetitiveness, but something about the whole package has grown on me enough to where I -somehow- don't think about that guitar line... I'm all into it now. It's a very uplifting sounding tune. Very much looking forward to the release(s)!

Mentioned
    8 Post(s)
    I'm thoroughly hyped for the third record, but pissed that they launched a single then announced the first of the 2 new records in October, with a single per month, I really hate having heard like 5 tracks by the time the record drops.

I did not like GYAT at all when I first heard it but it grew on me hard and I love it now. Maybe not the guitar line but everything else especially the vocals.

Mentioned
    10 Post(s)
    As Jord said at the beginning, they are my "guilty pleasure". What does everyone think about the new album?

Mentioned
    73 Post(s)
    It's alright. I don't think it's quite as interesting as the last album, but there's definitely some good tunes on it. How To Draw/Petrichor is really cool, as well as I Like America. Could have done without the track where Siri is reading a story though.

Mentioned
    8 Post(s)
    I really can't get on board with the new one fully, when it's good it's really really good but when it's bad it's absolutely dire.

How To Draw/Petrichor is my highlight, with I Always Wanna Die (Sometimes) as a close second - wonderful vocal performance, Surrounded by Heads & Bodies is beautiful too.

The Siri track means well and is an interesting concept, but it just falls flat for me, and I Like America is for me an abomination that shouldn't have been made, just reminds me of all the autotune trap that litters the stations these days. I know they like to pick and choose styles but just because they can, doesn't mean they should. They aren't topping their first 2 records for me.

Mentioned
    96 Post(s)
    New album delayed until April. While (other than like two songs) I've never really been a fan per se, this new track is actually pretty damn catchy.

Mentioned
    73 Post(s)
    Well, Notes is FINALLY out and again, somehow, The 1975 managed to make an album twice as good as the one before it. For an album that's 22 songs and 90 minutes long, this thing FLIES by. Really enjoying the even more diverse layout than ABIIOR. Having No Head might also be George's best electro-banger.

Fuck this album is REALLY good.

Mentioned
    8 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by richardp View Post
    Well, Notes is FINALLY out and again, somehow, The 1975 managed to make an album twice as good as the one before it. For an album that's 22 songs and 90 minutes long, this thing FLIES by. Really enjoying the even more diverse layout than ABIIOR. Having No Head might also be George's best electro-banger.

Fuck this album is REALLY good.
    Glad you're enjoying it, I'm having a very hard time with this one, even more than I did with ABIIOR. Hoping it will grow in time, as theres still only an EP's worth of stuff I enjoy in the last record, and I did a little selection of my favourites so far from this one that came in at 12 tracks.

That said, the good stuff here is absolutely incredible and great growth for the band. JC2005GBA is such a beautiful song, Having No Head is nearly on the level of the ILIWYS title track for me, and There Because She Goes is just wonderful - and it really reminds me so much of City Girl by Kevin Shields.