Page 8 of 13 FirstFirst ... 6 7 8 9 10 ... LastLast

Thread: The Ghostbusters Thread

Mentioned
    96 Post(s)
    A video review, features some spoilers...

Pretty much confirms what I was expecting.

Mentioned
    82 Post(s)

Mentioned
    96 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by RhettButler View Post

This makes me happy. I hope this crapfest flops hard.

Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by neorev View Post
    This makes me happy. I hope this crapfest flops hard.
    At least see the damn movie before you call it a crapfest.

Mentioned
    96 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by raptors661 View Post
    At least see the damn movie before you call it a crapfest.
    95% chance this movie will blow. Someone pay for my ticket cuz I ain't dropping money on this crapfest.
    Reviews have confirmed exactly what was shown in the trailer.
    Plus gave away the whole movie.

Mentioned
    12 Post(s)
    Even some of the positive reviews for the film admit that it has mediocre elements, and that they're basically only giving it a positive review because they like and feel bad for the main cast.

It ending up being mediocre would be the best thing for everybody. It would shut up both sides and they'd forget about it after a month. Because at this point, the entire situation from both sides has become obnoxious.

Mentioned
    96 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Frozen Beach View Post
    Even some of the positive reviews for the film admit that it has mediocre elements, and that they're basically only giving it a positive review because they like and feel bad for the main cast.

It ending up being mediocre would be the best thing for everybody. It would shut up both sides and they'd forget about it after a month. Because at this point, the entire situation from both sides has become obnoxious.
    Yeah, I was gonna say that about the positive reviews. The ones on Rotten Tomatoes all have a hint of disappointment in them lol.

The big problem is Feig and co. tried to turn this into some social/sexism movement while delivering and failing horribly.

Mentioned
    169 Post(s)
    Well, for those of you who are intending to make up their own mind about the movie by actually see it (as I am), you may want to stick around at the end because there is a post credit scene.

I could post a link to it but it spoils the scene in the hyperlink line...

Mentioned
    34 Post(s)
    I'm going Sunday night: that's the first time I can go (because of work) but I want to make sure to see it opening weekend, just to support the film. I personally LOVE the cast, and while I don't expect the movie to be perfect, I think I will have a good time watching it.

Mentioned
    96 Post(s)
    In the span of a day, Ghostbusters critic score only went down 2% while its audience score has been halved... down to 45%
    https://www.rottentomatoes.com/m/ghostbusters_2016/

Mentioned
    120 Post(s)
    this is the rare case where I won't see eye to eye with the critics (who seem to have circled the wagons here instead of giving an honest review) and will still think this movie is a piece of trash.

Mentioned
    10 Post(s)
    Saw it today. As expected, the hilariously over-the-top internet hate-bandwagon is completely off-base. It was a fun watch and my kids adored it.

Although maybe the feminazi-SJeW Sony cabal sprayed chemtrails into the theatre to make me THINK I enjoyed it??? WAKE UP SHEEPLE

Mentioned
    43 Post(s)
    Fucking trash. I only went to see this because my girlfriends daughter wanted to see it. It's utter fucking trash and an insult to the franchise like I expected it to be. Right in the beginning there is a freaking queef joke... Seriously?

Spoilers to follow :

To me, it was as if they were trying way too hard here. There is absolutely no chemistry between the characters; they're so paper thin, and the entire movie is one big joke where none of them land except for maybe 3. There is no mystery here like the original had. The villain has the most childish motives to do what he was intending to do, and how the hell does he become pretty much as powerful as Gozer in a blink of an eye? The original had mystery to it, wittiness. When you see Gozer for the first time, it's almost scary, even creepy. Is this a gate to hell? Another dimension? There was so much more intrigue and you actually cared about the relationship between the originals characters. There is no depth to care about them whatsoever. They try with this silly relationship between Wiig and McCarthy's characters and it falls so flat. Every character is pretty much a stereotype, and besides Leslie Jones and McCarthy for whom I cannot stand and do not find funny at all are at least talented along with the rest of the cast, but they have nothing to work with here. They try, but you cannot cover up shitty writing.

The fact that the movie makes them out to be bumbling idiots that can make cool gadgets, and then at the final fight... They're jumping around like fucking ninjas and hitting EVERYTHING with perfect shots. Every time Ray, Peter, Egon, and Winston used there proton packs, they would hit everything around them but the target because they were amateurs!! It was hilarious. It's even worse that they try to act as if the first two movies never happened and this is the real Ghostbusters. Fuck.... That.... Shit. There is one good cameo that I actually enjoyed, but the rest are so cringe.

What would have been clever was to make some of these characters the offspring of the originals so you could at least get behind them and care about what is going on. The only positive aspect coming out of here is the fact that this will put some new interest into people wanting to see the original and have them realize how shitty this movie really is.
    Last edited by Self.Destructive.Pattern; 07-16-2016 at 10:11 AM.

Mentioned
    16 Post(s)
    WHat? a remake of a popular 80's hollywood franchised sucked? Nooo waaay!!

Mentioned
    112 Post(s)
    The pal I'm crashing with this month kinda lives out in the sticks of upstate NY, so I haven't really been able to go out to movies as much as I'd prefer lately. But she is REALLY into Ghostbusters, which I never knew! She actually got the Ghostbusters Lootcrate special edition or w/e the other day, lol. So cool. The box it comes in actually has shoulder straps and transforms into proton pack drenched in slime!

So we're gonna go and take her teenage son to see this movie this weekend and I'm actually pretty excited and glad to know I'll be seeing it with an unbiased, possibly even enthusiastic group. Really curious to read the REST of the room, too!

She was actually shocked to hear about all the drama when I brought her up to speed since she hasn't been online much lately. Which just reaffirms the point that it's an internet thing and the general viewing public doesn't really give a fuck about all that noise. Very curious to see how this one shakes out in light of all that.

Mentioned
    10 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Self.Destructive.Pattern View Post
    It's utter fucking trash and an insult to the franchise like I expected it to be. Right in the beginning there is a freaking queef joke... Seriously?
    I know, right?

For the record, I saw this yesterday to kill some time and it's a Paul Feig movie. I've never loved any of his flicks so it was exactly what I expected: super light, a few scattered laughs here & there... some jokes better than others. Not really my thing but entertaining enough. No need to ever see it again.

The most surprising thing was how much I liked the execution of the ghosts – they looked really slick and scary at times. The other pleasant surprise was Hemsworth – he's a solid comedic actor and makes a great bimbo.

Mentioned
    112 Post(s)
    I believe the politically correct term is "himbo," lol.

And, yeah, corny sex-jokes are basically the FOUNDATION of this franchise. It's a pretty ridiculous thing to hold against it by now. And did I miss the memo informing everyone that suddenly queefs AREN'T comedic fodder anymore?

Oh, look, the reboot of the raunchy, slapstick comedy is a raunchy, slapstick comedy itself.

SHOCK OF THE CENTURY.

Mentioned
    43 Post(s)
    I'm not saying this franchise is above sexual fodder, but it really just made me roll my eyes. I guess the placement for that joke in the film just seemed so eh... When you watch the original, and the dream ghost pops up, it was something a bit more unexpected and what made me find it more hilarious in the act. The original isn't flawless by any means, but I guess it seems a bit more passionate when two of the writers are actual characters in the movie and they knock it out of the park. I was hoping for a more fluent comradery between Wiig and McCarthy since that shined so much in Bridesmaids... But it's almost nonexistent here. If anyone enjoys this movie, so be it. But I personally just hated it, and that was going into it with an open mind. The film had so much potential and it just falls flat.

Mentioned
    528 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Deadpool View Post
    I know, right?
    one of my friends saw it at the brew & view one time ($5 movie where you can get beer and cocktails...they've been doing it for a long time, since before there were many theaters in chicago where you could actually get drinks to bring into a movie) and she drunkenly yelled out "OH MY GOD THAT GHOST IS GIVING HIM A BLOW-JOB!" and cracked up a ton of people who were there.

Mentioned
    82 Post(s)
    Saw Ghostbusters this weekend and I really enjoyed it. I'd give it 3/5 stars. Excellent cast playing interesting, likeable characters. Not every joke was a hit, but there were some good laughs. I loved Chris Hemsorth, playing the best himbo I've ever seen. The story was rather predictable and the villain wasn't really fleshed-out and the Ghostbusters seemed to be in on the joke the whole time, unlike in tne original, but these are my only gripes. Loved the ghosts, although some people have commented that that looked cheap. Also loved the cameos, they fit in nicely and didn't seemed forced. All in all, a really fun movie.
    Last edited by GulDukat; 07-18-2016 at 08:08 PM.

Mentioned
    41 Post(s)
    real story brhind gb=https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VOEntkJI6yw makes sense to mr-louie

Mentioned
    34 Post(s)
    I just saw it and I absolutely loved it!!!

The cast was great (Kate McKinnon stole the show!) and I thought that most of the jokes were really funny. Excellent design on the gadgets, too. Very enjoyable movie!

I am truly baffled by the online hate. Not that there are people who didn't like it (it's okay, I can see that and I can accept that) but that it got bashed so much before it even came out, and the whole "everyone who says they liked it is just afraid to be called sexist" thing is fucked up.

Mentioned
    120 Post(s)

I trust these guys more than the people that are straining to say they liked it. Red Letter hasn't let me down yet.

Mentioned
    12 Post(s)
    Mike & Rich even tried to be optimistic about it in their original Ghostbusters review, the gist of which was "Maybe it'll be okay, of course it's not going to be better than the original, and it's not a pointless remake if it makes me laugh throughout. And having a female cast is one of the biggest attributes to the movie because Women comedians will have a different perspective, a different way of doing the performances. You can't replace Bill Murray, Dan Aykroyd and Harold Ramis. Having male counterparts trying to replace them or trying to be as funny as them would be more disastrous."

Mentioned
    96 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by bobbie solo View Post

I trust these guys more than the people that are straining to say they liked it. Red Letter hasn't let me down yet.

I've never heard of these guys. Now I can't stop watching their reviews.

Mentioned
    12 Post(s)
    Check out the Mr. Plinkett Star Wars prequels reviews. They are their most well known & popular videos. It's the guy Mike playing a character & ripping on the films comically. The reviews aren't entirely serious, there's a lot of nitpicking but there is some legitimate critiquing in them. Those reviews I think are the funniest thing they've done.

Mentioned
    120 Post(s)
    those reviews are epic in scale. impressive stuff. And @neorev , thats how it works with them. I was you once.

Mentioned
    85 Post(s)
    It's a solid 7/10. I'd call it good, but nowhere near as good as the original, the humor falls flat in a lot of places and it could have used more of a sinister buildup. And the villain sucked. But I enjoyed the cast immensely, I'm glad we went with new faces rather than recasting the original four.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by xmd 5a View Post
    Saw it today. As expected, the hilariously over-the-top internet hate-bandwagon is completely off-base. It was a fun watch and my kids adored it.

Although maybe the feminazi-SJeW Sony cabal sprayed chemtrails into the theatre to make me THINK I enjoyed it??? WAKE UP SHEEPLE
    Agree with this.

Saw it today, and really enjoyed the film.

Sure there were some jokes that fell flat, (every comedy movie has these...) but overall (imho) it was a fun movie with the good far outweighing the bad.

Loved some of the goofy little things like the running soup gag that doesn't pay off until the credits.

I feel like re-casting the original crew with women actors was overall a smart move, Dan Akroyd, Bill Murry (et al) leave huge shoes to fill so moving in a completely different direction with the cast makes perfect sense.

---

I'm sorta surprised by how much noise the film seems to invoke, how angry and unprofessional looking some of the reviews are, alas. for me ghostbusters (the original) was never some masterpiece of cinema nor a work so close to my heart that anything that deviates too far from the original is some betrayal of some beloved memory.

The effects - I'll say that they don't look amazing for a film released on this kind of budget in 2016, but at the same time they are a *very* good homage to the look of the 80's effects. Honestly I felt the effects were something the remake did right. I don't believe an ultra realistic slimer would have worked or looked right.

Mentioned
    96 Post(s)
    How pissed do you think Sony is???
    http://www.nme.com/filmandtv/news/-g...-poor-b/414453