Mentioned
    118 Post(s)
    Right?!

Terrible writing in the trailer alone.

An unfortunate place somewhere in the Southwest
    Mentioned
    68 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Swykk View Post
    Amy Schumer, Sarah Silverman, Kristen Wiig, and Jessica Williams. Directed by Lord/Miller. Or even David Gordon Green. Or Apatow.
    Oh man, Lord and Miller would have been amazing.

Quote Originally Posted by eversonpoe
    my wife and i cracked up the whole time we were watching the trailer. we think it looks fun, funny, and we're excited about it.
    i honestly don't understand what problem people have with it or why they don't think it looks funny...
    After hearing so many awful things about it I watched it expecting the worst. I was pleasantly surprised that it actually looks ok to me. Not amazing, not anything I'd rush out to see, but it might be decent.

I was a HUGE fan of the franchise growing up but I don't have the same love for it as an adult (unlike, say, "Back to the Future" which I love just as much as I did when I first saw it at 6). But there's still some nostalgia there. I might see this depending on reviews/worth of mouth.

Mentioned
    528 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Swykk View Post
    Paul Feig has done nothing for me since Freaks and Geeks and Undeclared. I hated Bridesmaids
    you should really watch Other Space (it's free on yahoo). it's absolutely fantastic.

Mentioned
    66 Post(s)
    Not sure what are you complaining about, this trailer looked rad! If you are an 8 years old, that is. Green poopoo on main character? Instant laughter! Nerdy smart girl who is oblivious to basic social interactions? Classic, always gets me. Cool girl, chewing probably at least 3 bubble gums because she's a rebel? I want to rebel too, my mom just told me to go to my roo mfor no reason at all! Big sized black woman with all y'all stereotypes out there yo? The next Oscar-awards just got off to a great start to be all-white again.

I'm not a GB fan, I just liked the movies, so I'm not shedding any tears for the brand, but boy, oh boy, I'd take any Adam Sandler movie over this. His movies at least not trying to be edgy, they are self-aware of their primitive humor and makes it clear who their target audience is. I don't understand why this movie needed to be a Ghostbusters one. It's a generic low-effort, B-category, "she just slipped on a banana peel, now laugh!!" type of movie. There were no reason why these women had to be Ghostbusters, and not bored middle-aged women going on a vacation, or whatever.

But there's another Ghostbusters movie coming, right? I read something about Bill Murray not wanting to join them, but it can't possibly be this. No sane person would hop in on this.

Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    I don't know, it doesn't look horrible. The CGI definitely looks like shit though. Rental

Mentioned
    161 Post(s)
    I'm not a Ghostbusters fan so I have no emotional attachment to the original films but seriously, people are pissing and moaning about this film? The trailer and film it self doesn't look that fucking cataclysmically awful.

Mentioned
    66 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Space Suicide View Post
    I'm not a Ghostbusters fan so I have no emotional attachment to the original films but seriously, people are pissing and moaning about this film? The trailer and film it self doesn't look that fucking cataclysmically awful.
    It's the hype and all that publicity it got. Do you go to your local high-school to rant about their student film being shit compared to actual good movies? Of course not. But if it has been splattered all across the internet, plus being a legal continuation to an otherwise very famous frenchise, then it's an entirely different situation.

To put it in context, imagine the next Star Wars movie will starr Adam Sandler, with hilarious scenes, like Sandler accidentally cutting someone's arm off with the lightsaber, or Sandler having an erection when he sees the plans to Death Star 69, which looks identical to a boob.

Yes-yes, I know GB were always goofy, but this is not goofy, this is shit.

Mentioned
    280 Post(s)
    Boogie wins again.

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    I like how simply not liking THESE particular comedians is misogynistic. I agree Wiig has potential.

Mentioned
    11 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by tony.parente View Post
    "Aww HELLLL naw"
    "it's a Cadillac!?"
    -turns full church catholic while slapping woman repeatedly-

Let's play guess the skin color!
    It really bummed me out that black people still can't be scientists in the Ghostbusters universe.

Other than that, I think it looked good... the problems I had with the trailer were mainly just the problems I have with ALL movie trailers these days. Nostalgic piano version of the theme, reliance on dumb physical gags, etc etc.

The visual style of the ghosts (and the movie in general) looked fucking awesome, and I'm still excited. MARRY ME, KATE MCKINNON. (yes, yes, I know...)

Mentioned
    47 Post(s)
    We're getting Ecto Cooler back, that's good enough for me.
    The Ghostbusters franchise needs to quit disrespecting my black brothers and sisters though. I was turned off from buying the DVDs back in the day cuz my boy Winston wasn't on the damn cover with the rest of them. Like sure, maybe Janine and uh... Rick Moranis (can't think of his character name right now) could be left off but Winston?! He was the legit fourth member.
    Last edited by Wolfkiller; 03-04-2016 at 02:18 PM.

Mentioned
    43 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Space Suicide View Post
    Coming from an avid fan of the franchise, the grit is gone, the wittinsss is gone, and the actual scary/frightening side of the ghosts are dumbed down to crappy CGI that are completely comparable to the likes of The Haunted Mansion's (Which I've said before) effects. It's amazing how animatronics look so much better in a lot of bigger movies in the past in my opinion compared to some effects these days. I applaud the director for trying to go a different way with the CGI so it isn't all true CGI, but it looks like that backfired since almost every ghost here looks exactly the same.

The first, and even the second films had a scare factor to it like the library scene and when we finally meet Gozer and friends at the climax. Plus, Hollywood not being able to make one original idea with these remakes nowadays... Kind of redundant mixing original with remake though :P. There is really no appeal to the original audience and don't get me wrong, I want Ghostbusters to get a different audience but not like this. This doesn't represent Ghostbusters at all, but... "OH, SLIMER! OH! THE ECTO 1!!" It feels cheap, and just a cash grab. People that are huge fans of the franchise have a right to be pissed after waiting years for another film. I'm calling It now... This will be it for this Reboot and someone will come forward and do it right **cough cough, Deadpool **cough**.

Mentioned
    12 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Wolfkiller View Post
    We're getting Ecto Cooler back, that's good enough for me.
    Hopefully they're not altering the flavor in anyway or I might seriously break something

Mentioned
    169 Post(s)
    All right, fine...

I'm only going to watch because I want to see if Chris Hemsworth is going to take his shirt off.

Not really. You're all a bunch of Debbie Downers but I still like you.

Mentioned
    19 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Self.Destructive.Pattern View Post
    Coming from an avid fan of the franchise, the grit is gone, the wittinsss is gone, and the actual scary/frightening side of the ghosts are dumbed down to crappy CGI that are completely comparable to the likes of The Haunted Mansion's (Which I've said before) effects. It's amazing how animatronics look so much better in a lot of bigger movies in the past in my opinion compared to some effects these days. I applaud the director for trying to go a different way with the CGI so it isn't all true CGI, but it looks like that backfired since almost every ghost here looks exactly the same.

The first, and even the second films had a scare factor to it like the library scene and when we finally meet Gozer and friends at the climax. Plus, Hollywood not being able to make one original idea with these remakes nowadays... Kind of redundant mixing original with remake though :P. There is really no appeal to the original audience and don't get me wrong, I want Ghostbusters to get a different audience but not like this. This doesn't represent Ghostbusters at all, but... "OH, SLIMER! OH! THE ECTO 1!!" It feels cheap, and just a cash grab. People that are huge fans of the franchise have a right to be pissed after waiting years for another film. I'm calling It now... This will be it for this Reboot and someone will come forward and do it right **cough cough, Deadpool **cough**.
    I mean...it is a cash grab. Most big budget studio movies don't get made because they're passion projects.

Mentioned
    280 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Archive_Reports View Post
    I mean...it is a cash grab. Most big budget studio movies don't get made because they're passion projects.
    Hopefully deadpool will help change that. That movie was a pure passion project.

Mentioned
    43 Post(s)
    Alright, to lighten up the mood... things that I did like out of the trailer:

-Kate McKinnon's character actually seems pretty dam interesting and legit as far as making cool ass gadgets and toys.

- The spray painted logo in the beginning actually made me smirk and was cool to see it in that fashion.

- Slimer... Duh

- The new gadgets/weapons that were shown off for a brief moment.

- Kristen Wiig - I really hope that her character is actually shown off as something on Egon's level.

- They kept the original score in some fashion.

I am really hoping that this trailer was just cut bad, and we will get a better cut trailer with different story elements thrown in like we got with Batman V Superman.

Mentioned
    280 Post(s)
    I am really hoping that this trailer was just cut bad, and we will get a better cut trailer
    Funny you should say that. A fan fixed the trailer, if I hadn't seen the original trailer this would actually make me excited.
    But I have seen the trailer, it's like I saw my cat pinch off a turd then saw that turd dipped in gold and diamonds. Yeah it looks pretty as fuck but you know what's underneath. You know what they did to make it better? CUT OUT THE DIALOG.

Mentioned
    161 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Volband View Post
    It's the hype and all that publicity it got. Do you go to your local high-school to rant about their student film being shit compared to actual good movies? Of course not. But if it has been splattered all across the internet, plus being a legal continuation to an otherwise very famous frenchise, then it's an entirely different situation.

To put it in context, imagine the next Star Wars movie will starr Adam Sandler, with hilarious scenes, like Sandler accidentally cutting someone's arm off with the lightsaber, or Sandler having an erection when he sees the plans to Death Star 69, which looks identical to a boob.

Yes-yes, I know GB were always goofy, but this is not goofy, this is shit.

I understand completely and I'll just draw a parallel with how I feel about the planned reboot/remake of The Crow coming soon.

I just expect with this outrage that it should and could be a lot worse than what the trailer depicts.

Mentioned
    82 Post(s)
    They have been talking about a Crow reboot for years. Just let it go. The Crow died with Brandon Lee.

Mentioned
    161 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by RhettButler View Post
    They have been talking about a Crow reboot for years. Just let it go. The Crow died with Brandon Lee.
    Without derailing the thread they're on track for making a reboot, for sure, this time.

Mentioned
    47 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by RhettButler View Post
    Aww come on the second one was really good until the last quarter with stealing the crow power and defeat by ghost crow tornado.

I'm told the black ghostbuster lady who I assumed was written as a stereotypical role apparently talks and acts like that all the time. So please, ghostbusters franchise, give some respect to my brotha. #blackghostbustersmatter #putwinstononthecover

EDIT #derailed I thought this new Crow movie was supposed to be more faithful to the comics? I love the original and mad respect to Brandon Lee but some of his acting was kind of cheesy looking back on it honestly. I think the new one deserves a chance especially if the original author (James O'Barr? Bar?) is endorsing it.
    Last edited by Wolfkiller; 03-04-2016 at 06:29 PM.

Mentioned
    104 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by eversonpoe View Post
    i honestly don't understand what problem people have with it or why they don't think it looks funny...
    I honestly don't understand why people do think it looks funny.

But see, that's the thing about movies (or any art/entertainment medium). It's subjective. I think it looks like shit on a screen for a number of reasons. You think it looks funny and you're excited about it. I don't have a problem with that. Hopefully the movie doesn't disappoint and it makes for a fun date night for you two.

I will also admit that yes, there is a LOT of misogyny happening with this release. That does not, however, mean that everyone who thinks it looks bad is saying so because of the lead cast all having vaginas. And this is why I like to try to have rational discussion about things, in which I acknowledge that some people are being sexist dickbags while other simply don't like the trailer. It drives me insane when people insist that hating the movie HAS to mean that you hate women. "You wouldn't be saying this looks bad if men were the leads" is such a bullshit line, and it hurts progress. Saying all men are misogynistic because they don't like a movie trailer isn't productive; it's just as blindly stereotyping (though perhaps less damaging) than men making generalizations about women.

Okay, back to the movie in a more lighthearted way. In general, I've enjoyed very few high budget, SFX-dependent comedies. I laugh way, way harder at the old 80s/early 90s comedies that relied more on script and concept than I have at boring, unoriginal toilet humor movies that take $150 million dollars to produce. And the latter is what the trailer feels like to me.

Mentioned
    11 Post(s)
    Here's what I don't get... why are some of you comparing a trailer to a movie? Isn't that sort of dumb?

Compare this new trailer to the original trailer, which was... fairly shitty with a couple of nice moments. KINDA LIKE THE CURRENT ONE, HUH?

Mentioned
    66 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by howdidislipinto View Post
    Here's what I don't get... why are some of you comparing a trailer to a movie? Isn't that sort of dumb?

Compare this new trailer to the original trailer, which was... fairly shitty with a couple of nice moments. KINDA LIKE THE CURRENT ONE, HUH?

I've never seen this trailer before, but even 36secs in, you just proved the opposite of your point. It feels worlds apart already.

1 minute in, Bill Murray already shows us that there will be at least one good actor in this movie. COmpare his delivery to anyone else's in the new trailer. He made an easy joke look funnier than it actually is. The shooting at the maid part was on par with the cliché-comedy, but at the very very least, they did not overplay it. Oh, you know how that scene would've lookedl ike in the new trailer with the new cast:
    - OH MY GOD, A DEMOOOOON, SHOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOT!
    - WAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAH!!!!
    - GIRLS, NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!!!! SHE'S JUST THE MAID!!!!
    - Oh.... *the women look at each other* Woopsie!
    - Yeaaah, sorry honey!!!!!!
    - Y'all girls are crazy, yo!!!!!!! 'sup with you trigger-happy white ladies, huh?? Y'all need Jesus!
    - *maid slowly gets up, terrified, she has a face like a charcoal* I knew I should've called a sick day...
    *everyone laughs*

1:15 as goofy as it was so far, there seems to be an actual serious plot. I'm not saying I'm scared, but I'm intrigued. Cloudy thunderstorm, everything is grey, house exploding, "wrath of God stuff". Compare that to neon-bright silly monsters who vomit goo in at you. Please...

1:32 the woman looks devilish and Bill Murray with the deadpan delivery once again. Maybe the moral of the comparison is that with real actors and a tiny bit of seriousness you can sell goofy humor?

1:48 that shit actually looks scary. Also, compare that team-shot to the new team-shot. Worlds. Apart. But that's writing and directing for you.

1:52 huge ass explosion. I'm kinda more intrigued to watch that movie than "le spooky ghost threw goo at the poor fat chick XDDDDDDDDDD LMAO XDDDDDD".

I'm not saying the original GB trailer was good, I'm not a fan of old trailers to begin with, but compared to this new one, it's like watching Casablanca after American Pie 100.

Good watch:
    Last edited by Volband; 03-05-2016 at 08:50 AM.

Mentioned
    19 Post(s)
    Nostalgia goggles are a real thing.

Mentioned
    105 Post(s)
    Yeah, I have to admit, as much as I loved it as a kid, the original doesn't hold up well.

Mentioned
    66 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by theimage13 View Post
    I honestly don't understand why people do think it looks funny.

Okay, back to the movie in a more lighthearted way. In general, I've enjoyed very few high budget, SFX-dependent comedies. I laugh way, way harder at the old 80s/early 90s comedies that relied more on script and concept than I have at boring, unoriginal toilet humor movies that take $150 million dollars to produce. And the latter is what the trailer feels like to me.
    It's funny, because I ate up the most stupid comedies sometime, and I can still laugh at silly things. Two And A Half Men with Charlie Sheen was one of my favorites, I digged every non-fart joke, as simple as they were, so it's not like I have a high standard. I don't even mind unoriginality, I laughed my ass off of countless black guy/woman stereotype, hey, I actually enjoyed some Eddy Murphy movies as well. But the writing in the trailer felt sooooo sweaty to me.

And the biggest problem, which is why I won't even give the movie a chance, unless people will tell me it is nothing like in the trailer, is the fat (I literally don't have any other adjective to desribe her other than the one with the glasses, I'm not even sure what her character is supposed to be. The clunky one?) and the black actresses. They. Are. Obnoxious. The rebel one and the nerdy genius have potential (and they even look good), especially paired together, there are a thousands of easy jokes when you put together a free-minded "I don't give a fuck" character with an uptight, methodical one. But that chick with the glasses, holy shit; the majority of the weak ass, lame jokes were in scenes with her.

You do realize the only reason the original GB is being praised here, because it is compared with this new one? I would never name GB as one of the best movies ever, not even close. being better than what we were shown in this new trailer is nothing to be proud of. Like, I would never brag about outrunning a tortoise.
    Last edited by Volband; 03-05-2016 at 09:17 AM.

Mentioned
    153 Post(s)
    The constant problem with trailers is that you never really know if they a) : just showed you everything there was to see in the movie, b) : just made a shitty disjointed selection of what they thought the target audience would expect, or even if c) : the movie is actually good but just doesn't work once chopped into bits.

Of course, it's neither Drive nor The Fountain, so the trailer can't be that different from the actual movie, but forming an opinion based on such a marketing tool is always a risky business, unless the movie ends up being a marketing tool itself obviously.

True, they're also a good thing though. The problem isn't the nostalgia goggles, the problem is that most people will switch from those to the pedantic monocle as soon as current releases are concerned. I have no shame in enjoying A New Hope, Ghostbusters and Batman, but I'd really be fooling myself if I didn't think they are somewhat frozen in childhood amber.
    Last edited by Khrz; 03-05-2016 at 09:51 AM.

Mentioned
    55 Post(s)
    To be honest, with the constant bitching about how much trailers show off, wouldn't you think the studios would just go back to the old format of a man's voice over some clips of different scenes? Like how they were in the 70's and 80's.